Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Bottled tone juice is the new bath water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I was well aware of the headstock before buying it. It being repaired honestly makes me feel better considering how often Gibsons have issues with them so it's not a problem for me in the future. I also didn't buy it privately, I got it from the place I work at so it's a safe bet for me for a variety of reasons.

e: It's a player's guitar priced for that and honestly it has more character in it than any Gibson I've touched in half a decade selling the things outside of the 50s Les Paul Junior that we got that the original owner was selling because his hands didn't work well enough to play anymore. As his hands started going bad on him he kept doing open tunings and clamping a capo on the guitar in various places and did it so much that he made trenches in the neck, it honestly ruled. ee: the guitar ruled not the arthritis to be clear haha

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 31, 2023

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Where do you guys buy your tone juice? My new squire is running low and might need to be refilled soon

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Tone is all in the hands... when you use them to take your credit card out of the wallet to buy a Les Paul made from wood recovered from the Titanic's grand staircase.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

luchadornado posted:

Tone is all in the hands... when you use them to half-inch Brian May's mum's benchtop.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

moon demon posted:

Where do you guys buy your tone juice? My new squire is running low and might need to be refilled soon

Half-joke answer: Dunlop 65 (offer only valid for dark/unsealed fretboards)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Weird BIAS posted:

Incoming photos. I also am happy that this is my first guitar equipped with a producer switch.

very pretty. how are the frets?

looks like it might need a refret sooner rather than later

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Why is it that when other composers use inversions it sounds amazing and unique but when i use them it sounds like nothing

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

a.p. dent posted:

Why is it that when other composers use inversions it sounds amazing and unique but when i use them it sounds like nothing

See a few posts up RE tone juice. Or you might need just one more pedal

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

a.p. dent posted:

have you tried using spread triads instead?

moon demon posted:

used to get mine from stewmac but i saw they sell the same stuff at the hardware store for like 1/4 the price

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

insane clown pussy posted:

have you tried using spread triads instead?

this probably has a lot to do with it, the guitar's "bass" is much less distinct than having a separate bass voice

i have had some luck copying songs that use good inversions, probably will keep doing that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFoQxjgbrs is an all time banger that uses a million inversions in extremely cool ways

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I wrote a lovely little sketch of a song in college, just made it up of chords I liked the sound of in other songs that I tried to learn. Lately I've been trying to figure out the theory behind what I wrote, it's very cool that you can just google "what chord is this" and there are tools to click what frets you're fretting and it tells you whats what. My song sketch is apparently a I IV vi IV in the key of C Major. The really fun part is that a friend of mine back then came up with a bass melody for my chords but I never transcribed what it was and I had forgotten how to play it in the 10+ years since then. I thankfully have a recording from back then though. Messing around with https://www.all-guitar-chords.com/ and looking at the C Major Scale last night and noodling on my Bass VI I was able to figure out a large part of what he wrote. He had a much better ear and mind for theory than I ever had and I was able to connect he was just playing the notes of each chord, which sounds stupid when I write it out but it was a fun revelation for me. If I hadn't tried to put the scale together with the recording from back then I don't know if I ever would have figured it out just by ear and memory.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

very pretty. how are the frets?

looks like it might need a refret sooner rather than later

They are pretty flat but not so bad that I think I'm gonna get that done anytime soon. I'm gonna take it to my shop's tech in the next month to see what he thinks after I've played it for a bit since he'll do a free setup on it, and we can discuss other work then. I don't find any notes too much of a problem to play outside of the 22nd fret being a little hard to make sing. There's also a part of me worried that refretting it will change the feel so dramatically that I won't like how it plays as much after so it's a bit of a decision.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

actually, tone is stored in the balls

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

an old deluxe probably came with fretless wonders I'd think. even if they didn't label it as fretless wonders because it's not a LP custom they still might be rather short. If it plays without buzzing / bothering you in some way then it's likely not needing fret work. that can look deceptively like wear when they're just meant to be like that. my new modern has very short frets, shorter than a LP standard but they have the same medium jumbo wire according to the specs.

i sometimes wonder... since the modern has an ebony board and mop inlays like a custom, i strongly suspect gibson is using the same boards for both the custom and modern, maybe even by mistake. if you see the gibson usa factory they build the necks up to the boards with frets installed before setting them to the body. so the person setting the neck basically grabs the right one from a stack of them. that deluxe is a rosewood board so not saying that happened there, but i could easily see them having more variation in frets back then.

edit: wear should be a bit uneven so you might be able to tell if there are divots or uneven spots whether they are just like that from the factory. It does look played a lot so they very well could be worn. or maybe the owner even refretted them to be like a custom. are the nibs intact?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 31, 2023

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

ethanol posted:

an old deluxe probably came with fretless wonders I'd think. even if they didn't label it as fretless wonders because it's not a LP custom they still might be rather short. If it plays without buzzing / bothering you in some way then it's likely not needing fret work. that can look deceptively like wear when they're just meant to be like that. my new modern has very short frets, shorter than a LP standard but they have the same medium jumbo wire according to the specs.

i sometimes wonder... since the modern has an ebony board and mop inlays like a custom, i strongly suspect gibson is using the same boards for both the custom and modern, maybe even by mistake. if you see the gibson usa factory they build the necks up to the boards with frets installed before setting them to the body. so the person setting the neck basically grabs the right one from a stack of them. that deluxe is a rosewood board so not saying that happened there, but i could easily see them having more variation in frets back then.

edit: wear should be a bit uneven so you might be able to tell if there are divots or uneven spots whether they are just like that from the factory. It does look played a lot so they very well could be worn. or maybe the owner even refretted them to be like a custom. are the nibs intact?

It plays good outside of the E string 22nd fret being a little hard to get to sing, the most wear I see is on the frets over the body which I'm not too worried about right now for the recording I'm working on. No real divots or anything, the last owner didn't play it a ton based on what my coworkers said though they weren't the original owner, coworkers also said it may have had a refret but not recently and if so it was a good job because they didn't gently caress up the binding in the process. The nibs are there but that is something that can be done right in a refret if you know what you're doing (twoodfrd has a few videos doing that). Less likely if it was refretted in the 80s/90s but still possible if it was done 10-20 years ago. I'm pretty happy overall with how it plays, no real buzzing despite how low it is and if I did refret it I'd be aiming for a lower wire to match it as best I can I think.

I am going to say that it was interesting picking this guitar up and a modern reissue 70s Deluxe and realizing just how different they were not including the mods and wear. The lack of the pancake was one thing on the reissue that I noticed. The reissue was a lot heavier which 1. maybe the removal of the finish on the vintage affected the weight a little but I can't imagine it being that drastic 2. just could be down to those particular cuts of wood 3. maybe the pancake also affects this? Not sure. The neck feel was a huge difference, the vintage is skinnier in the back in comparison which is a big reason I like this guitar and I usually dislike most Les Pauls that have that 59 style neck, the reissue 70s Deluxe had a thicker neck in comparison to the vintage 75. Having the lower frets also makes the neck feel more comfortable for me right now as well I think so it may not all be the neck being skinnier. Overall I will say the neck pickup alone is something I just love because with my old Epiphone SG and every Les Paul I tried in the last few years just left me hating the neck position as they kept sounding so dark and muddy. I nearly picked up the Tony Iommi Monkey SG a while back because it was one of the few Gibson's that I liked the neck pickup on. The og mini humbucker just sounds so loving good and pairs really well with the Super Distortion.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

when you say reisssue deluxe, do you mean from the custom shop? because gibson is very diligent these days about sorting all lightweight blanks to the custom shop. if it's a gibson USA and not a custom shop then 9 times out of 10 it's a heavy LP in 2023. it's not just gibson, they're all doing this now. of course there are still outliers but rarely

it's one of the main reasons I'm ended up with a heritage instead because they charge way less for a light sorted guitar. The LP modern does a whole different sound though and feel with its huge radius so I've been hanging onto it. both of them are about 8.5 lb but the modern is chambered

I'd be curious to know what the weight of the old deluxe is if you have a scale.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 1, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Deluxe with them minibuckers are sexy. Norlin era was cool and not bad.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Double checked with someone and the nibs are gone.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

ethanol posted:

when you say reisssue deluxe, do you mean from the custom shop? because gibson is very diligent these days about sorting all lightweight blanks to the custom shop. if it's a gibson USA and not a custom shop then 9 times out of 10 it's a heavy LP in 2023. it's not just gibson, they're all doing this now. of course there are still outliers but rarely

it's one of the main reasons I'm ended up with a heritage instead because they charge way less for a light sorted guitar. The LP modern does a whole different sound though and feel with its huge radius so I've been hanging onto it. both of them are about 8.5 lb but the modern is chambered

I'd be curious to know what the weight of the old deluxe is if you have a scale.

Sorry for the double post, yeah will have to weigh it sometime.

e: Yeah not the custom shop ones, the ones that go for nearly $4000 CAD

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 1, 2023

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just got back my freshly plek'd partscaster. I thought it played well before that, but now it feels like a different guitar and I'm in love all over again.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Holy crap you can just walk into a guitar store and buy vacuum tubes again. I'm contemplating replacing all the tubes in my Mark V:35 since it was a second hand purchase and I'm pretty sure the 12AX7 that does FX Send on one of the triodes is hosed.

luchadornado posted:

I just got back my freshly plek'd partscaster. I thought it played well before that, but now it feels like a different guitar and I'm in love all over again.

I've heard it's great. There's only one Long and McQuade that has a Plek machine and it's the Yorkville Sound factory in Ontario, so I'd have to send in my favourite guitar and be without it for a couple weeks, but it sounds like something that might be worth it.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I happen to live two blocks from the only Plek station in... I can't remember how far, he might have said Western Canada. As a result I probably have the most plek'ed guitars around, since my guy kind of just throws whatever Ali abomination I wander in with into the machine "to see how bad it really is".

I especially love when he unloads somebody's pride and joy Gibson from it and straps in my latest "Shop635743359" acquisition

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tad Naff posted:

I happen to live two blocks from the only Plek station in... I can't remember how far, he might have said Western Canada. As a result I probably have the most plek'ed guitars around, since my guy kind of just throws whatever Ali abomination I wander in with into the machine "to see how bad it really is".

I especially love when he unloads somebody's pride and joy Gibson from it and straps in my latest "Shop635743359" acquisition

Please tell me you live in Vancouver.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Yup! "Bruce Guitars" is the place. Don't be fooled by the name though -- he doesn't sell guitars, only fixes them.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
vancity represent

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hell yeah I'm gonna have to give him a call. Much rather drop my guitar off and pick it up personally then have it shipped to Pickering and back.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
So I decided to put my mint condition 07 Mexican strat up for sale that I picked up for $200. I put it up for 500 assuming I'm going to get low offers.

My guitar center nearby has a used 2021 Squier JM Jazzmaster for $380. I stopped in last week and played it for a little bit and really liked it but slept on it over the weekend. I didn't enjoy the 40th as much but I couldn't stop thinking about the JM.

I went today and brought the strat with to see what they would give me for it in trade for the JM. They offered me a straight trade ($380 value) but said they would sell it for $650.

So I played the JM a little more and realized it's mine and the lowest price I've seen. Yeah it's not the pre 2019 with rosewood but it's a fantastic guitar and in great shape.

I decided not to trade the strat instead just buying the JM and sell the strat on my own.

lovely part is being a used guitar, they can't release it for 30 days since they received it due to some pawn shop law, so I can't get it until Nov 27th.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
get a little guitar advent calendar to help you wait

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I had to wait a few weeks for my mixer and it was all worth it. I got to the store before it even opened the day I was able to pick it up lol. Just waiting in the parking lot until one of the employees unlocked the door.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Unexpected NGD. My brother decided he didn't want his anymore, so I bought it from him to hold onto for when his adhd obsession rolls back around to guitar again. My first single cut guitar, it's pretty nice but reminds me why I prefer superstrats. Not a comfy guitar to play in classical. I reckon'd I'd try fingerpicking for the first time in a really long time. I used to play this Creed song all the time back in the early 00s, so here it is again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9nWJLwbC_A

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully this qualifies as a useful e/n for the thread. I just broke up with my guitar teacher. The guy simply doesn't have the experience or pedagogical skill to teach a grown-rear end adult with mild to moderate ADHD and no music background. He has the same situation I have: he's a very good explainer, but a good explainer =/= a good teacher. It was pretty clear how frustrated he was trying to get me to understand the concept of a natural minor scale and how it was related to a major scale. I was coming in with "I think the major scale formula is WHWWHWW" and he was taking the "it's three half-steps down" approach and I was just confused. He kept on talking me through it, I told him I wasn't quite getting it and could we draw it out or could I try playing it, he showed me on a piano, and a keyboard is great to demonstrate but he was doing it more from a "here, see how my hand doesn't have to move in order to play in the natural minor scale?"

Then to make things worse, he wanted to go into the major scales on the circle of fifths. I hadn't really practiced them since I had worked on them with the previous teacher. I tried to tell him I hadn't touched them in a while and it would take a second, I did OK enough playing a few that he called out, and he said something along the lines of "this is something that you said you knew". I think I was probably in "this is going to end in a breakup, I'll just do whatever I need in order to end it quickly" but at that point he was asking me to do something I hadn't practiced and would need to refresh on for a few days.

I don't go un-diplomatic often in my life but at this point I did what was probably the most bridge-burn thing I've pulled: told him "I had practiced it with Professor Ownerlady pretty extensively but when you and I started, you never brought it up and thus I only did a few quick reviews of it while I practiced". His response: "thanks."

From then on we both knew it was over but JFC, if you're one-on-one teaching a student, don't check your goddamn phone. There's a clock on the wall if you need to keep us on schedule. Most of the drat lesson was spent with him trying to explain and me failing to get it. Also it probably doesn't help that he only got his music ed degree in 2022, and there's zero way he has the experience in teaching or understanding to work with a LD student. I haven't felt like this in many years - the sheer feeling of "I absolutely don't understand this, and it's been explained to me in a few different ways, but it's just not sinking in and I need more time and less pressure and a different method". Neurodivergence is a loving bitch, and I've got it easy since I at least was able to make a decent career happen and am running into this in a recreational activity. How much worse it must be for someone with ASD or really bad ADHD, I can only imagine.

So yeah, if anyone here opts to be a tutor or teacher, please let one takeaway be "don't check your goddamn phone" and "if your student says they haven't done something in a while and they would like to practice it again before getting grilled on it, maybe let them do so and revisit it next week". Also please please please if your student is not solid on a basic concept, don't teach them "tricks" to "unlock being a great guitarist. Telling me that if the chord is A minor and I can hold that shape, but then I don't hold the shape as it is and move one finger here, then one finger there, only leads to confusing me. Maybe it's ADHD, maybe it's me just overthinking it, maybe it's both, but it doesn't help. Might also be the visible displays of frustration from the teacher. I sure hope he does better with the kids who make up the majority of the music school.

The more I interact with Music People, the more I understand how the rest of the world feels when they interact with me and other Technical People. Yeah, we can all learn enough to understand each other, but the ability to simply do this stuff is enviable and if you're lousy at teaching it, the gap just feels that much wider. I'm not done by any means, I'm working with Professor Ownerlady to see if she has anyone in this location, but it's not looking good and I might have to find another music school that'll take a curriculum approach. I don't want to work with a tutor who will just teach me how to get better at songs I want to play, I want to be able to at least be a versatile guitar player in my downtime.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Your experience was very similar to mine. My teacher, while brilliant, was used to working with actual college music majors and I could sense his frustration whenever I had to pause and think about what I was doing, or used incorrect terminology, or did not intuitively know the answer to something. He would often ask me to just randomly jam while he played some chords and me being me, I would get overwhelmed pretty quickly and eventually shut down. His line of thought was also hard to follow sometimes and he really liked to relate things back to his homebaked model of how major and minor scales relate. I’m still figuring out how to use my fingers properly, dammit! Slow down, get the technique and muscle memory down first!! gently caress!!!

Teaching is very hard, and teaching a student with ADHD, anxiety, and probably neurodivergence even moreso. Cuz at that point, it’s not just an issue with teacher-to/student interaction - it’s an issue with human-to-human interaction.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I got adhd pretty bad, I never attempted lessons but I feel like this is how it would have went.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Harton posted:

I got adhd pretty bad, I never attempted lessons but I feel like this is how it would have went.

Don't let it stop you. I did very well with Professor Ownerlady; she'd done her advanced degree in educational psychology. It wasn't the same thing as a music teacher with special ed qualifications, which is something I've looked for and had no real success with in my area, but I learned a fuckton from her. It took time, and it had some frustration, but it was the kind of frustration that went away with practice and time. Sometimes the Process works and you figure it out - the adage of "it takes 3 times longer for someone with ADHD to learn a new skill" applies.

This is after I didn't do as well with guitar teachers who had music ed degrees and didn't quite get what it meant to teach an ADHD guy.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Eh I’ll probably just keep watching lovely action movies, I don’t really have the time to dedicate myself to a weekly lesson anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MJP posted:

Sometimes the Process works and you figure it out - the adage of "it takes 3 times longer for someone with ADHD to learn a new skill" applies.

:sigh: I’ve never thought of myself as having a learning disability before, but man. This kinda sucks to hear.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Last night was expendables 4, holy poo poo did that suck

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

MJP posted:

I was coming in with "I think the major scale formula is WHWWHWW" and he was taking the "it's three half-steps down" approach and I was just confused. He kept on talking me through it, I told him I wasn't quite getting it and could we draw it out or could I try playing it, he showed me on a piano, and a keyboard is great to demonstrate but he was doing it more from a "here, see how my hand doesn't have to move in order to play in the natural minor scale?"

sounds like you made the right decision. this way isn't helpful for teaching minor scales at all anyway! relative minor and modes starting from different degrees of major cause more problems than they solve imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Harton posted:

Eh I’ll probably just keep watching lovely action movies, I don’t really have the time to dedicate myself to a weekly lesson anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNssxv8T2ls
This one’s good. I’m a sucker for underground martial arts fighting tournament plots. It has Jonny from karate kid and the bad guys from karate kid and blood sport. It inspired me to write a song about it.