Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This games fanbase goes to a truly heroic amount of effort to be horny, especially since Charlotte is one of the more viscerally disturbing designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

:perfect:

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Wasn't the purpose of the game is to have the killer kill people? Isn't that the core premise of the game?
most of survivor bitterness can be traced to gens. Doing gens, tedious work, for an entire match and then feeling like failure was innevitable sucks. Losing a teammate and your tedious objective now becoming impossible sucks. If the entire game say resembled endgame where you're just freely running around by the seat of your pants with no 90 second qtes weighing you down I think people would be better sports about the humiliation of getting ganked.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 31, 2023

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Charlotte is one of the more viscerally disturbing designs.

Agreed. Nothing is more grotesque than French people.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Tiny Myers posted:

They whine about any gameplay mechanic introduced that adds any measure of difficulty or complexity to the thing they've spent 4000+ hours (not an exaggeration) doing, even though you'd expect they'd want some kind of variety at this point, because they simply do not want to play the game anymore, or perhaps they just want the easy hit of dopamine from a practiced skill and to be able to turn their brain completely off with no struggle whatsoever.

This is the real culprit of why the community seems to hate the game and the devs and each other so much. The whole drat playerbase is hugely burnt out but instead of realizing that if you do something for Two Thousand Hours you get bored, they get frustrated instead of taking a break and doing something else.
I tend to stop playing in between events or rifts even if I still wanna play, simply because I don't want that burnout.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

curiousTerminal posted:

This is the real culprit of why the community seems to hate the game and the devs and each other so much. The whole drat playerbase is hugely burnt out but instead of realizing that if you do something for Two Thousand Hours you get bored, they get frustrated instead of taking a break and doing something else.
I tend to stop playing in between events or rifts even if I still wanna play, simply because I don't want that burnout.

See also: every multiplayer game made past 2015.

I have no idea how the Fortnite developers drag themselves into work every morning just to make something new that will have the lifespan of a housefly with heart failure.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

idontpost69 posted:

most of survivor bitterness can be traced to gens. Doing gens, tedious work, for an entire match and then feeling like failure was innevitable sucks. Losing a teammate and your tedious objective now becoming impossible sucks. If the entire game say resembled endgame where you're just freely running around by the seat of your pants with no 90 second qtes weighing you down I think people would be better sports about the humiliation of getting ganked.

That's one of the things TCM did really well IMO. It's not a game of linear progression where the survivors have to tick five items off a list and then escape, it feels more open ended and varied.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wonder how many people have four-digit hours but barely any on the opposite side.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pants Donkey posted:

I wonder how many people have four-digit hours but barely any on the opposite side.

I've got around 2,300 hours and I'd say 80% of it is killer. I generally only play survivor as SWF and most of my friends are smart and have moved on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I used to have an active SWF, but now I really only play Survivor if there’s an event, a daily/tome, or if I’m bored/frustrated with playing Killer.

Survivor has such a lack of variety unless you’re playing a dumb gimmick build, and even then it’s kind of a slog. Solo Survivor even moreso.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1719368842520973637?t=VfPGKOxOUD4uzZtWUf48aQ&s=19

Was anyone clamoring for a skin based off a 13 year old IP that was poorly received even then

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1719368842520973637?t=VfPGKOxOUD4uzZtWUf48aQ&s=19

Was anyone clamoring for a skin based off a 13 year old IP that was poorly received even then

I'm not getting it but I hope it's super successful since it's the first custom mori you can get.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The reception has been positive. I think it’s a combination of being a goofy, fun skin in a vacuum, and it being historically relevant to BHVR.

Were Naughty Bear not their first game, I imagine the skin would have never been made.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

Were Naughty Bear not their first game, I imagine the skin would have never been made.

I completely forgot about that, now it makes a lot more sense. I thought there was just one REAL BIG Naughty Bear fan on the board of directors.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

The reception has been positive. I think it’s a combination of being a goofy, fun skin in a vacuum, and it being historically relevant to BHVR.

Yeah, it's cute. I wonder if it's a test run to sell custom moris like people have been asking for.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it's cute. I wonder if it's a test run to sell custom moris like people have been asking for.
Get hyped for mori tierlists based on frames to execute (:v:)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's always been so weird to me that moris aren't identical in length.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
More adventures in watching twitch vods of ttv username SWF squads.

I have a half-leveled Pyramid Head that I bought 30 minutes ago and am trying to learn how he works, this is game 2. Rank 1 perks and brown items.

I play a game in RPD and they gently caress up unbelievably at the front lobby generator (one of them used an offering to get RPD...). I down the runner who has led me straight to them trying to 3-man the gen, slug out another clever person who is trying to body block/sabotage around the hook, slug out another who seemingly thinks it's illegal to touch them while they finish the gen because I am currently carrying someone 5 feet away. Just a catastrophic clown show on their part by piling into the tiny office area near that gen, running into me, refusing to abandon the gen, running over my barbed wire, etc. At least 3 times in the match I have nurse's calling and see pairs healing up so obviously I drag the sword and shoot a laser beam at them through the walls. A lot of people spent time bleeding out on the ground but only because they were playing like they wanted to die and I can only hook them so fast.

At least once during the match I deliberately left someone on the ground because Nic Cage is very recognizable and I thought it might be his third hook. I also hosed off into the ghost dimension when they were in shambles to farm some points because they were getting slammed.

I wonder what they're saying on team chat? Let's find the stream vod.

"Imagine playing like this"
"I think he's tunneling"
"Well he's certainly something, playing like this"
"He's just playing in a really toxic way"
"Why the hell is he using Nurse's calling on pyramid head, that's idiotic" (One of them suggested I might be stream sniping instead)

I think this game's entire playerbase has gaslit themselves. There is some kind of legit psychological phenomenon here where people are just instantly ready to perceive killers as toxic assholes because of the fundamental dynamics of the game or something. Man hunting you = bad guy and everything that follows is a contrived justification. I had 6 hooks spread out before the first person died, I let the last survivor wiggle out because I wanted to go chase a green rune, I legit don't know how much more fairly I could have divided the attention unless I was keeping count with an abacus.

I know nobody is making me watch these vods but it's just equal parts fascinating and bizarre. I don't want to give people a "toxic experience" but I am only becoming more convinced that simply means every time they don't win with 3+ escapees it was a toxic game.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 1, 2023

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I don't know why you inflict the mental damage of watching your own matches on twitch onto yourself but I appreciate the content.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Scoss posted:

"Why the hell is he using Nurse's calling on pyramid head, that's idiotic"

I'm not gonna comment on the rest, but as somebody who was once briefly an Executioner main, Nurse's Calling is loving amazing on him. It's aura reading which lets you hit multiple targets, and it works even if one of them has Distortion.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
lol I got accused of stream sniping because I always seemed to know where the streamers' SWF was

I was playing scratched mirror myers

They never caught on and skipped the results screen

Sometimes it's fun to dig up vods and other times it's depressing

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
What if I told you these monologues and team chatter play out for 99% of players in all competitive games. :twisted:

It's a totally human habit that has to actively be broken and policed.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Medullah posted:

Yuppp this happens a lot to me. I had a match this weekend that went from "3 gens done with 2 hooks" to "4k at 2 gens left" because of a flashy/altruism spiral. I also love the people that don't know how to play against Xenomorph and sit at a pallet waiting for you to break it so they can get their flashy flashy only to eat a tail strike to the chest. He's quickly becoming one of my favorites, has a great toolkit and isn't all that complicated to use.
I love when they do this for Myers (so you just stare at them) or like, Nemesis. Did you forget I have the tentacle lmao

While we're on the subject of 3D mousepads, I've always thought this one was funny. (Similarly "SFW but probably your boss shouldn't see it")

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

I love when they do this for Myers (so you just stare at them) or like, Nemesis. Did you forget I have the tentacle lmao

While we're on the subject of 3D mousepads, I've always thought this one was funny. (Similarly "SFW but probably your boss shouldn't see it")

Every day we stray further from god's light

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Scoss posted:

More adventures in watching twitch vods of ttv username SWF squads.
Had a near identical game on RPD except I was Dredge, mostly doing the RPD Shuffle and slamming into walls while trying to navigate. Did catch one guy hiding right next to a gen, hooked him, left, teleported back after the unhook and found him all alone again, dead. The rest of the team I mostly screwed around with while spawning three ghosts for the archive.

TTV Guy: Wow the tunneling was crazy

...I mean if you count the guy who ran into me after the unhook I *guess*, the rest of them I was purposefully messing around with because of the event

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I've never thought to look up vods for people I kill and suddenly DBD became funny again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I one time looked up a VOD from someone I went up against and it was awesome. "Wow! This dude knows how to use Pinhead! He's really good".

I will never do it again because I'll never see a positive remark again.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've never thought to look up vods for people I kill and suddenly DBD became funny again.

Pretty much.

The last one I checked was a four person group. Who were just fully immersed and freaking out. In between managing to be salty about the world's laziest Clown play from me because it was Midwich.

Survivor hiding in a locker: "Oh God, oh God. I think they know. Go away go away go away.

Me, running laps in the halls: "Where the hell am I? I hate this loving map."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/OtzdarvaYT/status/1719728201226682514?s=20

Crazy Otz put out his newest Tier List for Add Ons. Well, more of a "priority" list but it serves as a tier list.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I enjoy how wildly inconsistent it is that super rare purple addons might be the best option or maybe the best option is that cheap gray addon you have 300 of already

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

I enjoy how wildly inconsistent it is that super rare purple addons might be the best option or maybe the best option is that cheap gray addon you have 300 of already

Yeah the funny one is Ghostface who's best add on by far is the camera, which is a brown add on

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

Yeah the funny one is Ghostface who's best add on by far is the camera, which is a brown add on

You can do fine with Artist's brown stuff as well. Apparently Otz half agrees with me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
But what if I NEED these nineteen purple addons for later, better stick to using up all these browns I got

E: I also do this with offerings, except specifically old anniversary ones that I can never get again. I have a frankly shocking amount of brain problems

Danaru fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 1, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
Something Awful Forums: Games: Dead by Daylight - A frankly shocking amount of brain problems

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
The addon philosophy of Killers Through The Ages doesn't help this any. Current addons work like this:

Brown - Numbers reduction/minor power rebalancing
Yellow- Slightly larger numbers reduction
Green - Applies a status effect in some way
Purple - BIG Numbers Reduction or minor gimmick addition to power with possible downside or Survivor playstyle/activation requirement
Iridescent - Info or anti-loop utility not present in basekit

This is a far cry from the mid-stage addon balance of "one brown addon that makes the power worse as a joke, three or four addons that do the same thing at varying levels of usefulness, and then purple and iri addons that completely change the power" which is present on pretty much any killer prior to Blight.
Wraith, for instance, has 3 different addons that affect cloak and uncloak speed, and movement speed while cloaked EACH, which takes up 9/20 addons, even before you factor in the meme addon and the two "clapper" addons that bring this to 11/20 addons that are either duplicated or Straight Up Intentionally Bad. vs Wesker, Xeno, or Smerchant where the green addons apply blindness, hemorrhage, mangled, and exhaustion, no meme addon at all, and a number reduction to the most frequent part of the power.
Myers brown addons are like "straight up worse than the yellow and green addons, which are basically identical with better numbers" and Legion rework brown addons are like "your power lasts 20% longer" because they don't reuse effects anymore.

And then there's killers who they just do not understand how people actually play them, like Pyramid Head or Twins, where seemingly all but 4 or 5 addons affect the part of the power that you actively try to avoid using.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I wonder if he'll put out an accompanying video, or if he has one out already. Some of those feel like surprising rankings.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
How dare he put BFF that low. Is it useful? NOT REALLY! But it allows for end game zoomie builds.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is it still kosher to talk about other asymmetrical games here like the last thread?

DB Breakers is doing its first year anniversary and it seems like they at least are trying to revitalize the game after it basically has been on the brink of death for 8 months.

I was super into this game at launch and played a ton with friends but poor balance and a declining playerbase ended up burning my friends and I out that we all eventually stopped, but the upcoming changes seem pretty good.

Crossplay for one is going to be huge since right now the game is split up between 4 tiny playerbases and being able to merge them all will be a huge boon I think. Also excited to see some meta shakeups have happened since launch, and the bike (RIP) has been nerfed enough that it's no longer something every survivor in every match runs and makes games over before the raider can hit level 3. Really hoping all these changes are enough to jolt the game back from the brink because of how fun it is.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it still kosher to talk about other asymmetrical games here like the last thread?

DB Breakers is doing its first year anniversary and it seems like they at least are trying to revitalize the game after it basically has been on the brink of death for 8 months.

I was super into this game at launch and played a ton with friends but poor balance and a declining playerbase ended up burning my friends and I out that we all eventually stopped, but the upcoming changes seem pretty good.

Crossplay for one is going to be huge since right now the game is split up between 4 tiny playerbases and being able to merge them all will be a huge boon I think. Also excited to see some meta shakeups have happened since launch, and the bike (RIP) has been nerfed enough that it's no longer something every survivor in every match runs and makes games over before the raider can hit level 3. Really hoping all these changes are enough to jolt the game back from the brink because of how fun it is.

I have no interest in it personally, but it's going to be free on PS5 this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Breakers was fun but for me it had the same issue as FF13 where I liked being the Hunter the most and that happened like 10% of the time. That's just the wages of having a 1 v X game, where you're going to be playing X a lot more than the solo, but still.

Onboarding was also really hard because being able to take on the Hunter without being mashed into dust relied on you having some grasp of the combat system, which you could only get during those 15 second bursts of fighting or during the aforementioned rare Hunter rounds.