Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just give me a MacBook Air with more than 2 usb ports. I don’t care how blazing fast a processor can be as it melts my balls with passive cooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i see they still haven’t figured out how to make the full res album art display every time. must be a very difficult programming feat

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

njsykora posted:

Since it's Mac focused it's probably going to be in SH/SC.

Speculation of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something for Apple TV+ or Apple Music.

They're doing literal watch parties for this, and it would be really weird to do this during prime time if it were just an iMac refresh.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Made an event thread in SH/SC.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4046090

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a handy dandy list of new hardware features in each year’s iPhone release and new software in each iOS (since a lot of it might be locked to newer models so I won’t currently have access to them)?

I’ll be upgrading to a 15 Pro from a XS in a few weeks and it’d be nice to know what features I ought to be looking for and playing with first.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Articles like these tend to be useful for that:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/should-you-upgrade-to-the-iphone-15-how-it-compares-to-older-iphones/

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can I install and trust a home-grown root certificate on an iPhone running iOS17?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you trust whoever signed it, sure.

There's nothing special about a commercial cert other than everyone has agreed to trust them.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
When I’m subscribing to an app should I be able to select Apple Pay as a payment method, or do I have to add the debit cards separately?

It doesn’t seem to do anything when I tap Apple Pay

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

When I’m subscribing to an app should I be able to select Apple Pay as a payment method, or do I have to add the debit cards separately?

It doesn’t seem to do anything when I tap Apple Pay

It should be handled through your Apple account.

Go into settings/ tap your name at the top / payments and shipping are near the top there.

You can also see all your subscriptions right below that.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

lol first snow of the season here in chicago during ios17 era and this is the widget i’m getting on both my phone and ipad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What did you expect? Do you think they know what "snow" is in SF?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

smr posted:

lol first snow of the season here in chicago during ios17 era and this is the widget i’m getting on both my phone and ipad

I have the same file icon on my weather widget but I don’t think it’s forecast to snow today/tonight.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it means the monolith is descending

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So who do I have suck off to make this go away

Also that iPad isn’t even with me and it shows up!

I’ve rebooted / force closed / everything else possible.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

So who do I have suck off to make this go away

Also that iPad isn’t even with me and it shows up!

I’ve rebooted / force closed / everything else possible.

Seriously, there’s a giant screen, why can’t I just have a speakerphone button and “other poo poo” button?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Seriously, there’s a giant screen, why can’t I just have a speakerphone button and “other poo poo” button?

It’s also super annoying because if someone calls while I am in another app and I hit the speaker phone button on the banner it drags me to the full screen thing.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Awesome, thanks!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ArcticZombie posted:

Have you enabled Personal Requests?
Yeah, but if I disable it I just can't add anything to Reminders at all :(

I need the "Primary User" thing to apply to other stuff too, or possibly (dare I dream?) for Siri to start to recognise the only voice that's been yelling at it since I got the cursed thing years ago, and whose phone is usually in the same goddamn room at the time.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

If you trust whoever signed it, sure.

There's nothing special about a commercial cert other than everyone has agreed to trust them.

Made it myself, so yes.

But how do I do that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bolind posted:

Made it myself, so yes.

But how do I do that?

Installing is easy. Email it to yourself, put it in a file share and get it through the files app.

Trust: https://support.apple.com/en-us/102390

That page also mentions something I thought of earlier, that you can use Apple Configurator to side load it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bolind posted:

Made it myself, so yes.

But how do I do that?

You sure? Myself is the person I trust the least.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there a way to set up a Focus so it will light up when I get a notification but not vibrate? Something between the full Do Not Disturb and normal notifications.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's time to talk about Apple Music on Carplay. It sucks. First, there's an awful lot of navigation you can only do through the phone, like if a song is playing and you want to see the full album it is from, but the song is not in your library already, or the song is but the rest of the album isn't, you still have to pick up the phone to navigate to it.

Another issue I run into a lot is if my data dips out for a bit, Apple Music just flips out. I'll try to pause a track (that isn't playing anyway) so I can resume it where it left off when I get data back and it will attempt to pause it, but apparently needs the data to pause, so it resumes trying to play it, but can't play it, so it jumps to a new song, but then can't play that, so it keeps jumping. I often have to unplug the phone and reconnect it to get it to stop doing this. This may be the fault of Hyundai though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You’d think the most advanced phone in the world would manage to have like 5 tracks downloaded and ready if the data got weak but I guess not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least with the latest OS you can see it spamming through every track in a playlist, flashing the cover art before realizing there's no internet connection and skipping to the next one. It'll keep doing that until it finds a file that's on the phone. Previously releases would eventually give up and completely stop playing music. Or show a track as playing but you hear no audio.

These things take time, you can't expect the most valuable company on the planet to have the workforce to actually fix anything.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Apple Music is really slow compared to Spotify. Search on Spotify is so much faster, and in general it just feels like everything moves around quicker in it.

I won't be switching back from AM to Spotify but it would be nice if Apple could get on that and speed up things in the app please.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Apple Music is really slow compared to Spotify. Search on Spotify is so much faster, and in general it just feels like everything moves around quicker in it.

I won't be switching back from AM to Spotify but it would be nice if Apple could get on that and speed up things in the app please.

I switched to Apple Music 12 months ago and use both apps interchageably and can't say I've ever had this issue. You partially type the name of something, both apps begin to search for it near-instantly.

I wouldn't have had to switch if Spotify stopped dragging their feet and implemented Airplay2 already. Loving AM's larger music library with lossless and atmos though :2monocle:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Corb3t posted:

I switched to Apple Music 12 months ago and use both apps interchageably and can't say I've ever had this issue. You partially type the name of something, both apps begin to search for it near-instantly.

I wouldn't have had to switch if Spotify stopped dragging their feet and implemented Airplay2 already. Loving AM's larger music library with lossless and atmos though :2monocle:

I'm also on the beta train all the time so I figure it's part of that.

It doesn't really matter in the end because Apple Music has the best version of local files that doesn't involve me uploading music to my phone or syncing with a computer and that rules.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Local files? Lmfao. Alright grandpa, sure thing.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Local files? Lmfao. Alright grandpa, sure thing.

There's a few albums that I like uploading that AM doesn't have, one being the Katamari soundtracks tyvm.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

how am i supposed to listen to these three remixes posted to the nine inch nails website back in 1999 without local files???

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Honestly, until my bus route to work has a stable connection for more than 20% of it, I can’t even fathom using a streaming music service.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Honestly, until my bus route to work has a stable connection for more than 20% of it, I can’t even fathom using a streaming music service.

All of them let you make your entire library available offline lol this isn’t 2009

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I buy albums on iTunes still

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

hatty posted:

This is sick, get help

Mods?!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

hatty posted:

Why?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Technological faff aside, more money goes to the label (and in theory, the artist) when you buy an album compared to streaming a song.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

I don’t listen to a lot of music and I like to support the artists I do listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Buying their merch goes a long way compared to streaming/purchasing their music.