Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unreal_One posted:

The classic Dungeon Keepers had a sandbox mode where combat was entirely optional, that might work? They're 90s games so getting them to run might be a pain.

Nah, Gog.com is your friend there. Same for any other old PC game, their installers are built to work on modern PC's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

does anyone know any good turn based Samurai games. Any genre, rpg, strategy, etc. As long as it's turn based and samurai themed (like not Shogun Total War bc its mostly RTS).

PC or Switch. Ty!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

does anyone know any good turn based Samurai games. Any genre, rpg, strategy, etc. As long as it's turn based and samurai themed (like not Shogun Total War bc its mostly RTS).

PC or Switch. Ty!

Shadow tactics which is on sale for 3.99

https://store.steampowered.com/app/418240/Shadow_Tactics_Blades_of_the_Shogun/

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

That isn't turn based at all

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kvlt! posted:

PC or Switch. Ty!

I..don't suppose Shiren the Wanderer would count?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Kvlt! posted:

PC or Switch. Ty!

wandering sword if that's close enough to samurai-based, it's an open world wuxia jrpg.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

PC or Switch. Ty!
Skulls of the Shogun?

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Kvlt! posted:

PC or Switch. Ty!

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun if your tastes go for wargames.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Actually that Onimusha Tactics game on GBA is probably worth a glance

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
I loved that game; later, I loved Pokemon Conquest. I'm full of love for tactics b-games.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I'm looking for a noncombat city/base builder with a dark, gothic, or occult aesthetic. Something that lets me build a necromantic fortress, an eldritch temple-city, or a vampire castle, but without having to constantly fight, whether personally (V Rising) or with my units (Warcraft 3 undead campaigns).

:thunk: How's The Banished Vault sound?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I'm looking for a noncombat city/base builder with a dark, gothic, or occult aesthetic. Something that lets me build a necromantic fortress, an eldritch temple-city, or a vampire castle, but without having to constantly fight, whether personally (V Rising) or with my units (Warcraft 3 undead campaigns).
This came up in another thread:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1270580/Mind_Over_Magic/

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I have a loose group of a dozen or so friends, and when we were younger we'd meet to play - role playing games, board games, LAN parties, etc. Now with kids and serious jobs, we rarely can afford to meet. Not even online -- few have time to go raiding together in WoW.

So I'm looking for a game that could engage us all regardless of how much or how little time each player has. I make a move (or a contribution of a different kind) now, and X does something at midnight, and Y the following morning... We are in the same clan and are working towards a common goal. An example would be chess. We could create a club on chess.com and play other clubs in one move a day matches, and each of us could choose how many matches they'd join and when they'd make moves. The problem is that a) most of them don't play chess; and b) it's not really cooperative. Commenting on your friend's game is cheating so there's not much to do with your club mates.

Any recommendations? :)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Doctor Malaver posted:

So I'm looking for a game that could engage us all regardless of how much or how little time each player has. I make a move (or a contribution of a different kind) now, and X does something at midnight, and Y the following morning... We are in the same clan and are working towards a common goal.

There's probably some more modern examples, but the first thing that comes to mind for me is Civ 4, which has a "pitboss" utility you can use to host an asynchronous multiplayer game exactly like this. You can have it set up so that, say, each ingame turn takes 1 day, and players can log in to take their turn whenever they want. It's a good multiplayer game too, tons of variation and settings to play with even just in vanilla.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sounds to me like play-by-email games would also be a good category to look through. Basically anything that works well in an asynchronous mode that doesn't require quick responses from all players.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Snake Maze posted:

There's probably some more modern examples, but the first thing that comes to mind for me is Civ 4, which has a "pitboss" utility you can use to host an asynchronous multiplayer game exactly like this. You can have it set up so that, say, each ingame turn takes 1 day, and players can log in to take their turn whenever they want. It's a good multiplayer game too, tons of variation and settings to play with even just in vanilla.

Very true, but it sounds like OP is looking for something cooperative.

OP, are you strictly looking for turn-based? Have you considered setting up a server for e.g. Minecraft or Valheim where players can just come and go as they please and do stuff? I admit nothing comes immediately to mind for turn-based, asynchronous multiplayer, and coop.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Eric the Mauve posted:

Very true, but it sounds like OP is looking for something cooperative.

I exclusively played Civ 4 coop with friends :kiddo:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

I exclusively played Civ 4 coop with friends :kiddo:

You're a sick, hopeless degenerate. I like you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doctor Malaver posted:

I have a loose group of a dozen or so friends, and when we were younger we'd meet to play - role playing games, board games, LAN parties, etc. Now with kids and serious jobs, we rarely can afford to meet. Not even online -- few have time to go raiding together in WoW.

So I'm looking for a game that could engage us all regardless of how much or how little time each player has. I make a move (or a contribution of a different kind) now, and X does something at midnight, and Y the following morning... We are in the same clan and are working towards a common goal. An example would be chess. We could create a club on chess.com and play other clubs in one move a day matches, and each of us could choose how many matches they'd join and when they'd make moves. The problem is that a) most of them don't play chess; and b) it's not really cooperative. Commenting on your friend's game is cheating so there's not much to do with your club mates.

By co-operative do you mean interactive? If you mean interactive then Age of Wonders 4 multiplayer with simultaneous turns enabled. You spend as much or as little time you want on a turn and then hit end turn, when everyone has hit end turn the turn ticks over.

If you mean co-operative... how many friends are we talking?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 30, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh, duh. Board Game Arena has a ton of board games, and supports multiplayer including asynchronous multiplayer. And co-op board games exist. Mind you, they tend to involve a lot of discussion about strategy, needing fairly close coordination between players, but you can do that over email.

edit: a bunch of the games are locked behind a subscription, but only one person needs a subscription to create a game and invite their friends to it. And the subscriptions aren't terribly expensive.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 30, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Diplomacy :sickos:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Doctor Malaver posted:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, duh. Board Game Arena has a ton of board games, and supports multiplayer including asynchronous multiplayer. And co-op board games exist. Mind you, they tend to involve a lot of discussion about strategy, needing fairly close coordination between players, but you can do that over email.

edit: a bunch of the games are locked behind a subscription, but only one person needs a subscription to create a game and invite their friends to it. And the subscriptions aren't terribly expensive.

Seconding this. BGA is a pretty good service that I use a fair bit, and I have been dipping my toe into async games more and more lately. The only thing I will say is that games over a certain complexity are much more difficult to learn on BGA, even considering the existence of tutorials, and that system will enforce rules and not let you cheat.

There are not tons of co-op games on there, but some good ones include Hanabi, The Crew, Burgle Bros and Pandemic. I've played the first two non-async and BB on Tabletopia once ages ago, but honestly I think Pandemic might work best async because of the player turn structure.

If you have any questions about BGA, feel free to come visit us in the Board Game thread.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Splicer posted:

Diplomacy :sickos:

Dominions

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'm looking for something from the past ~3-4 years along the lines of an investigation/mystery/detective-ish game that has good music and kinda just leaves me to do my own thing and uncover things at my own pace. Paradise Killer is what I most recently played and is what I'm really looking for more of, I've been playing Broken Reality and it matches the vibes I want but I'm just not having a lot of fun. I played Road 96 a few months back and that also fit pretty well into what I'm looking for here even if it's not as strong on the investigation element. having a little more involved gameplay than those three games is also cool but I don't want anything with combat. I want to have an actual world/physical space to explore and roam around in so from my understanding, all of the Ace Attorney games are out of this discussion

some other stuff I'm going to look into already but is maybe a little off from what I want: Cloudpunk, Detective Di: the Silk Rose Murders, Return of the Obra Dinn because I've never played it, Tangle Tower, Growing My Grandpa!

thanks folks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

I'm looking for something from the past ~3-4 years along the lines of an investigation/mystery/detective-ish game that has good music and kinda just leaves me to do my own thing and uncover things at my own pace. Paradise Killer is what I most recently played and is what I'm really looking for more of, I've been playing Broken Reality and it matches the vibes I want but I'm just not having a lot of fun. I played Road 96 a few months back and that also fit pretty well into what I'm looking for here even if it's not as strong on the investigation element. having a little more involved gameplay than those three games is also cool but I don't want anything with combat. I want to have an actual world/physical space to explore and roam around in so from my understanding, all of the Ace Attorney games are out of this discussion

some other stuff I'm going to look into already but is maybe a little off from what I want: Cloudpunk, Detective Di: the Silk Rose Murders, Return of the Obra Dinn because I've never played it, Tangle Tower, Growing My Grandpa!

thanks folks

Obra Dinn is what you want
Disco Elysium
Outer Wilds
Heaven's Vault maybe, although the exploration is kind of janky
Hypnospace Outlaw if surfing an internet counts as exploring

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 31, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Detective Di is a straight-up point and click game. It's good, but if you go in looking for an open world detective game you'll be disappointed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One might be an option? It's got some really janky combat sections but the difficulty can be turned down and most of it is optional. The majority of the game is spent running around the island chasing clues.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Aye Doc posted:

thanks folks

Shadows of Doubt will be this in future I think. It's in EA just now though, so I'm not sure how complete it feels right now.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Shadows of Doubt is a pretty fantastic open world detective game.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

thanks folks

Painscreek Killings and its spiritual successor Scene Investigator
Gone Home and Tacoma
Everybody's Gone To Rapture
Wayward Strand
Hadean Lands
The Forgotten City
The Norwood Games
The Invisible Hours
Scanner Sombre
Elsinore

Everything below:

Hwurmp posted:

Disco Elysium
Outer Wilds

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 31, 2023

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Hwurmp posted:

Disco Elysium
Outer Wilds

I endorse this list, particularly Obra Dinn and Disco Elysium if you haven’t played them already. I will also say the Sherlock Holmes series is somewhat hit or miss but I liked SH: Crime and Punishment when I played it.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I've been playing a lot of open-world games recently and have been disappointed by a lot of them. So many of them just don't let you explore. Spider-Man, Cyberpunk, Cloudpunk, and some others just plop dots all around your map so you don't really interact with the map and just move from point A to B.

On the contrary, I really liked Ghostwire: Tokyo because it was the opposite. The game was a bit light on side-content but the collectathon aspects felt good. Same with aformentioned for different reasons Paradise Killer.

Are there any more games where you can explore around and find stuff like that? I also did like Starfield's few initial hours of running around, discovering landmarks and new weapons before realizing that every landmark feels nearly the same and that the game is way too large for its own good.

Obviously such a thing is also present in imsims like Thief or Prey, where you need to carefully examine a smaller map, look for secrets, pick stuff up... Obviously I'm familiar with platformer collectathons and recent Zeldas.

It's a really vague ask, but I hope there are some people here who get the desire to just collect poo poo within a finely crafted enviroment.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Breath of the Wild and Morrowind are two of my favourite exploration-focused open worlds, but they're pretty obvious choices and you might have played thrm already?

Xenoblade Chronicles X also really activated that part of my brain and looks real nice upscaled on an emulator, but the game really falls apart in the last third

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vookatos posted:

I've been playing a lot of open-world games recently and have been disappointed by a lot of them. So many of them just don't let you explore. Spider-Man, Cyberpunk, Cloudpunk, and some others just plop dots all around your map so you don't really interact with the map and just move from point A to B.

On the contrary, I really liked Ghostwire: Tokyo because it was the opposite. The game was a bit light on side-content but the collectathon aspects felt good. Same with aformentioned for different reasons Paradise Killer.

Are there any more games where you can explore around and find stuff like that? I also did like Starfield's few initial hours of running around, discovering landmarks and new weapons before realizing that every landmark feels nearly the same and that the game is way too large for its own good.

Obviously such a thing is also present in imsims like Thief or Prey, where you need to carefully examine a smaller map, look for secrets, pick stuff up... Obviously I'm familiar with platformer collectathons and recent Zeldas.

It's a really vague ask, but I hope there are some people here who get the desire to just collect poo poo within a finely crafted enviroment.

Hwurmp posted:

Obra Dinn
Disco Elysium
Outer Wilds

:v:

Elden Ring maybe
Talos Principle 2 comes out tomorrow
Jusant
whichever of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games was best
Subnautica
Dying Light 1
The Ur-Quan Masters

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 1, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oh yeah Subnautica is a really good call too!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

Elden Ring maybe
Talos Principle 2 comes out tomorrow
Jusant
whichever of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games was best
Subnautica
Dying Light 1
The Ur-Quan Masters
Jusant looks interesting! I'm extremely hyped for Talos, too. Not exactly the same kind of game, but it does have that meta-progression that many puzzle games lack that makes the game so much more mysterious and interesting.
Subnautica kinda loses me with abundant crafting mechanics, though. Same with No Man's Sky. The moment I'm asked to craft a different tier of crafting material or something to that extent I just can't care.
I'll look into Dying Light too, because I think survival horror games do tend to scratch that itch, but I feel like I've played many of the best ones.

No Dignity posted:

Breath of the Wild and Morrowind are two of my favourite exploration-focused open worlds, but they're pretty obvious choices and you might have played thrm already?

Xenoblade Chronicles X also really activated that part of my brain and looks real nice upscaled on an emulator, but the game really falls apart in the last third
Yeah, obviously familiar with those ones. Kinda hated Xenoblade after the first game (haven't tried X, but played 2 which provided a similar thing but had a bad story, and 3 which I thought was bad in both departments)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Open/semi-open world games with handcrafted details are few and far between unfortunately.

Apart from what's been mentioned which I mostly agree with:

Gothic 2 - from the same era as Morrowind. Controls are jank but it packs a crazy amount of detail into every nook and cranny.

Dark Souls series - Perhaps above Elden Ring, because the open world aspect gets a bit formulaic. There's always at least a couple different directions to go exploring in, the environments are novel, sometimes labyrinthine, and there's a ton of little hidden things throughout.

STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat are both good. Clear Skies has issues. People go on about mods and new ones keep coming out - I'd suggest going to the Stalker thread and just asking what's best for a light weight vanilla playthrough to iron out any bugs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vookatos posted:

Subnautica kinda loses me with abundant crafting mechanics, though. Same with No Man's Sky. The moment I'm asked to craft a different tier of crafting material or something to that extent I just can't care.
I'll look into Dying Light too, because I think survival horror games do tend to scratch that itch, but I feel like I've played many of the best ones.

Dying Light's exploration is all about farming crafting materials unfortunately; the parkour is fun at least

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Vookatos posted:

Knytt
Alba: A Wildlife Adventure
Crystal Project
The Supraland Games
Morels: The Hunt
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicle
Eastshade
Umurangi Generation
Minit
Mirror Moon EP

Maybes

Submerged Hidden Depths
Death Stranding
The Pathless
Miasmata
Broken Reality
AER: Memories of Old
Abzu
Fract OSC
Anti-Chamber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I thought of this too - unsure if OP is cool with Metroidvanias but exploration is one of the things that genre does best.