Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Eimi posted:

My main complaint with V is just how it encourages you to have only a handful of cities. If there's a mod out there that fixes that to actually let you settle more freely, I'd totally go back and give V another shot.
yeah of course there's a mod for this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429105547

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Man getting your capital destroyed by a meteorite in Apocalypse Mode is a nasty surprise.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

I just want a good revolution/rebellion mechanic, branching off into new civs etc...

Same. Because I hate how static the game gets near the end. There needs to be a mechanic that allows new players to enter the game. Either revolutions(done is some way so you don't quit the game when it happens to you), or giving city states full sovereignty.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

My favorite mod was RevDCM for Civ 4, really a lot of fun. Brought so much life to the game.
I'm not sure why Civ 5 or 6 never received a similar one.

I also think that the series needs 'levels' of war. Now it's either peace or all-out war, nothing in between. The game should recognize things such as border skirmishes, etc, with levels of escalation and de-escalation.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

My favorite mod was RevDCM for Civ 4, really a lot of fun. Brought so much life to the game.
I'm not sure why Civ 5 or 6 never received a similar one.

I also think that the series needs 'levels' of war. Now it's either peace or all-out war, nothing in between. The game should recognize things such as border skirmishes, etc, with levels of escalation and de-escalation.

Endless series does this. You're at cold war and can attack in neutral or your own territory. Real war happens when someone invades someone else. Works well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, 4x diplomacy took a big step forward with Sins and the Endless series, and it's a fault in Civ (and others) that their own systems are still so rudimentary.

Like the 30-turn alliances, what the christ.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
anyone know how to see the results of a goody hut? i know if i get a science or culture boost the icon stays in the pile on the right, but i sometimes miss the little floating thing above the scouts head and i’d like to just read what i got instead of reloading an autosave and duplicating all my actions again

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I bought Civ 6 at release, played for a few hours, then quit in disgust at how brain-dead the AI was. After all of these years and expansions, has it gotten any better?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I bought Civ 6 at release, played for a few hours, then quit in disgust at how brain-dead the AI was. After all of these years and expansions, has it gotten any better?

Nope, still braindead

edit: its about as dumb as the AI in Civ 5, really. But it plays worst in Civ 6 because of districts: the AI is too dumb for districts, so it adds another thing that the AI is completely incompetent to deal with, besides war and diplomacy

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 25, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I would say the AI got marginally better from launch (specifically: I have seen the AI conquer cities with walls!), but it still has no clue how to use secret societies so if you turn that option on you're effectively decreasing the difficulty level.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Civ 5's AI seems a bit better at least. Earlier this week on a huge Earth map, I witnessed a successful invasion of Scandinavia by Russia. It was a two-pronged attack, over land coming from the east. And simultaneously a naval invasion via West-Germany, while Germany itself was still in the game.

It was impressive even.

I also play exclusively on Earth maps, mostly as England because I get an island all for myself.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I remember having to quit Civ 5 (modded) because the AI was dumb in that as well. Was Civ 4 the last game to have serviceable AI?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

My understanding about Civ IV is that the AI was ok at moving army stacks around, and more importantly the nature of army stacks and how units were picked to face off in what sequence papered over the AI's inability to really plan.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I remember having to quit Civ 5 (modded) because the AI was dumb in that as well. Was Civ 4 the last game to have serviceable AI?

Yeah, it was bad too. The problem with Civ 6 is that it adds another important layer of complexity (districts planning) that the AI cant handle as well, so now the AI is terrible at building cities too, something that it handled decently enough in 5

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

LonsomeSon posted:

My understanding about Civ IV is that the AI was ok at moving army stacks around, and more importantly the nature of army stacks and how units were picked to face off in what sequence papered over the AI's inability to really plan.

Sounds like they unstacked armies and suddenly the AI was poo poo at it

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, it was bad too. The problem with Civ 6 is that it adds another important layer of complexity (districts planning) that the AI cant handle as well, so now the AI is terrible at building cities too, something that it handled decently enough in 5

Sounds like they unstacked cities and suddenly the AI was poo poo at it

Firaxis please don't unstack anything else, the AI can't take any more :ohdear:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its ok, just make the AI start with a dozen settlers and infinite gold

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
I do not understand the people who are actually recommending any of the older civs as an entry way to the series. For it's faults, civ VI is by far the most approachable. Normies, who would never otherwise touch a 4x game, can play it (though probably not well). My younger sister plays it on the easiest difficulty levels, but she would have never touched any of the previous entries. The fact that the game has been ported to consoles is part of the reason for this, but cartoony graphics that everyone here seems to hate is the real draw. Goons don't care about that poo poo, but people who buy switch games sure as poo poo do.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's a lot more to juggle in Civ 6, I like it a lot but I like fussing around. When I think of something that's simpler and easier to grasp for beginners, Civ 5 doesn't ask that much of you since you don't need to think about district placement and city efficiency gets capped quickly.

But yeah, I dig that normies like Civ 6. I also like the graphics, they're fun and very animated. TBH I think most people in this thread are jaded as gently caress in any case so shrug

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

just a kazoo posted:

I do not understand the people who are actually recommending any of the older civs as an entry way to the series. For it's faults, civ VI is by far the most approachable. Normies, who would never otherwise touch a 4x game, can play it (though probably not well). My younger sister plays it on the easiest difficulty levels, but she would have never touched any of the previous entries. The fact that the game has been ported to consoles is part of the reason for this, but cartoony graphics that everyone here seems to hate is the real draw. Goons don't care about that poo poo, but people who buy switch games sure as poo poo do.

It's just not a good game though. It's easier to access and it's approachable, but in the end it's a 4x game and it needs to survive as a fun hobby past the first several hours. The reward for spending time to learn VI is just a better understanding of how much VI is disjointed from its own parts.

V is more synergistic in it's mechanics and overall theme. You are rewarded for learning each of its mechanics because they meaningfully react to each other.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Every Civ suffers from a difficulty problem where, given enough time, any average competent human will beat the AI, so the only solution is to scale the AI way up at the beginning of the game to pose a challenge. At some point, if you survive, then you hit a snowball effect and win. Giving the AI more settlers to start is the most effective scaler because it allows them to scale up early faster and also deny landmass.

I feel like part of the problem is that the AI has to function at each of the different start eras even though I only know people who start on ancient. Thus you either have to code 10 different AIs with tons of opportunities for bugs and mayhem or make it more basic which weakens the AI.

Also 1upt really messed them up.

Districts are not so bad for the AI in my experience. It’s generally as simple as putting the district where it gets the most adjacency anyway. The problem comes in specializing, conquering, and defending.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

just a kazoo posted:

But the person we're recommending them to is a goon?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Imagine if generative AI models could be applied to Civ 6. Actually, I haven't seen much talk about these new-fangled AI models being applied to actual gameplay anywhere. Have any developers been hyping them up? I wonder how they would influence competitive gaming too; I know chess tournaments already have problems with people trying to cheat by using their computer to recommend moves.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

The Human Crouton posted:

It's just not a good game though. It's easier to access and it's approachable, but in the end it's a 4x game and it needs to survive as a fun hobby past the first several hours. The reward for spending time to learn VI is just a better understanding of how much VI is disjointed from its own parts.

V is more synergistic in it's mechanics and overall theme. You are rewarded for learning each of its mechanics because they meaningfully react to each other.

skyrim is a bad game from a role playing perspective but that doesn’t stop people from putting thousands of hours into it. it’s core conceit isn’t good. in the same way, civ 6 might not have its core conceit down pat, especially within its genre, but it is still fun for a lot of people for a lot of hours.

i do like the 5 vs 6 argument here though because this is the same stuff people said about 5. 5 was the first civ type game that i tried to understand more than just bare minimum and all the same arguments of 6 compared to 5 are identical to the 5 vs 4 arguments made then

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Kalko posted:

Imagine if generative AI models could be applied to Civ 6. Actually, I haven't seen much talk about these new-fangled AI models being applied to actual gameplay anywhere. Have any developers been hyping them up? I wonder how they would influence competitive gaming too; I know chess tournaments already have problems with people trying to cheat by using their computer to recommend moves.

I haven’t seen AI models applied to games this complex. Generally it would be doable, a higher score would yield rewards for each generation of neural net, but there are so many inputs that the neural net would be insanely complicated and connections would take forever to meaningfully form in relation to what’s happening in the game.

Someone got an ai model to beat the first gym in the original Pokémon but again in that case the outputs are insanely simple compared to Civ and it only was able to do so despite not understanding how to switch moves in battle because one generation managed to get to Brock exactly after running out of energy for Tackle and Tail Whip which let the Squirtle actually use bubble.

Considering the raw number of outputs you can do on just the first turn of Civ neural net AI would be lost.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All a new Civ needs is the live action council back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPC08cPGJw

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'd start with 6 over 5 for the simple reason that settler building in 5 takes a hundred million years. Sometimes I just want to paint the map, you know, and 5 is outraged you'd ever consider such a thing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tom Tucker posted:

Every Civ suffers from a difficulty problem where, given enough time, any average competent human will beat the AI, so the only solution is to scale the AI way up at the beginning of the game to pose a challenge. At some point, if you survive, then you hit a snowball effect and win. Giving the AI more settlers to start is the most effective scaler because it allows them to scale up early faster and also deny landmass.

You could also give the AI bonuses later on, not just at the start. I believe this is what Real Strategy AI (or whatever that mod is called) does.

Personally I would like to see AI bonuses handled like this:

- the AI gets its own set of policy cards (and none of the ones the player gets)
- they are super simple and very general instead of focused, like +10 food in every city, or 2 combat bonus for every unit
- there's zero choice - all AIs get the same cards (but gov unlocks mean they can add more). Maybe spice it up by allowing a choice, with different personality types going for different cards
- they scale up with civic unlocks, just like some player cards get obsoleted and replaced. Eg becomes 20 food in every city
- importantly: this is all completely transparent to the player
- the AI gets no other bonuses. It's all policy cards, all the time

I feel like this is something a mod could do. If I ever find time to explore mod making, I guess I'll start with this

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Tree Bucket posted:

I'd start with 6 over 5 for the simple reason that settler building in 5 takes a hundred million years. Sometimes I just want to paint the map, you know, and 5 is outraged you'd ever consider such a thing.

Well you only need to build 3 settlers all game, why wouldn't they take forever to build?

CommissarMega posted:

All a new Civ needs is the live action council back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPC08cPGJw

bring the throne room/palace building back too.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Hey all, trying to figure out something. I just did a domination game as Spain, every time I conquered a city I received 2 builders. Does anyone know what activated this bonus? I can't see it listed anywhere for either Spain's civ specific effects, any suzerain bonuses or the effects of wonders. I'm probably missing something obvious but this game has so many different systems I literally can't keep track of what is causing what half the time.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

khwarezm posted:

Hey all, trying to figure out something. I just did a domination game as Spain, every time I conquered a city I received 2 builders. Does anyone know what activated this bonus? I can't see it listed anywhere for either Spain's civ specific effects, any suzerain bonuses or the effects of wonders. I'm probably missing something obvious but this game has so many different systems I literally can't keep track of what is causing what half the time.

Did you capture the civilian units while they were huddled up in the city? Because capturing workers/settles/builders is a time-honored tradition from 5.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

berryjon posted:

Did you capture the civilian units while they were huddled up in the city? Because capturing workers/settles/builders is a time-honored tradition from 5.

It might account for some of them but it seemed too consistent? Every city had a couple of workers when I took them, and I conquered like 2 continents worth of cities. It's not usually like that in previous games. Like I literally couldn't find things for all those workers to do by the end I had so many of them, every single tile was improved, I was building so many seasteads that it was turning into a Libertarian hellhole.

Looking at Spanish bonuses again, one of them is Cities not on your original Capital Capital's continent receive +25% Production Production towards District Districts and a Builder when founded, I wonder if you just get a builder from conquering outside of your home continent too?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
could ancestral hall also possibly be counting a captured city as founding one too?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

harrygomm posted:

could ancestral hall also possibly be counting a captured city as founding one too?
Hmmmm. Maybe? I always build that and the last time I played I ended up with a builder in every city I conquered but I assumed the AI had just kept one inside.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
it's obvious, in between captures the AI built the Pyramids in every single city all over again

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

harrygomm posted:

You know this could be it, I went for Ancestral hall and combined with Spain's builder for cities on different continents, if they both apply when you conquer a city and not just found one that might explain what was going on.

Still I need to double check in future games whether or not you get a builder from seizing cities when you have Ancestral Hall, I did an England game before that where I was quite aggressive and I'm pretty sure I didn't get builders every time I took a city despite having Ancestral Hall.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
According to the wiki, Spain's civ bonus does count captured cities, giving you a builder every time you conquer a city on a different continent. No idea if the Ancestral Hall also does that universally, or if that's a uniquely Spanish property.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Well you only need to build 3 settlers all game, why wouldn't they take forever to build?

bring the throne room/palace building back too.

Bring back the thing from Civ 3 where the leaders' outfits changed over time. So like you'd have Abe Lincoln wearing animal skins in the ancient era and Gilgamesh in a suit and tie at the end.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Bring back the thing from Civ 3 where the leaders' outfits changed over time. So like you'd have Abe Lincoln wearing animal skins in the ancient era and Gilgamesh in a suit and tie at the end.

YES! I miss that so freaking much. Is it really that hard to give Leaders some different outfits? Geez.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Have era progression open up options so you can play dress up. Though I'd also love this for cities, let me pick from a few different styles to stop everything being the same in the modern era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Make the AI start with more settlers so I have more settlers to steal :pirate: