Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How long is this game or how much more do I have if I've done chapter 3 for Saga, I think, so minor spoilers for that and the first Alan section, I finished Coffee World, did some exploring of the side stuff after finishing that and then went back to the FBI place and poo poo has kicked off there. Next session I'm gonna jump back over to Alan where I've only just done his first forced gameplay section in the Subway and then going over to his penthouse before it kicks you back to Saga forcibly and then tutorialises the character swapping.

Feels like a massive game cause there's huge chunks of the maps I've seen already that I've barely explored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
oh my god Norman's full name is Norm Macdonald this game rules

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the combat is OK except for boss fights where its either just a more annoying version of the in-game combat, or it takes a total dive into a glitchy mess (mainly the third boss)

I'm not sure on the boss numbering but I did Cynthia last night and it was pushing into Nah gently caress This territory. Functionally it isn't complicated but they smeared the screen with vaseline to begin with and the attacks were more blurry things accompanied by dramatic camera shaking. At several points I fell down and vibrated in what looked like a bug but might have been intended. It was quite literally painful to look at the screen and probably took 30 minutes over multiple attempts. As a reward my already strained vision got to go through the entire post-boss talkie segment with the pulsing, screen-obscuring red aura that indicates you're almost dead. :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mailer posted:

I'm not sure on the boss numbering but I did Cynthia last night and it was pushing into Nah gently caress This territory. Functionally it isn't complicated but they smeared the screen with vaseline to begin with and the attacks were more blurry things accompanied by dramatic camera shaking. At several points I fell down and vibrated in what looked like a bug but might have been intended. It was quite literally painful to look at the screen and probably took 30 minutes over multiple attempts. As a reward my already strained vision got to go through the entire post-boss talkie segment with the pulsing, screen-obscuring red aura that indicates you're almost dead. :v:

Yeah that's the worst boss in the game by far imo. I think I beat her because she got stuck on geometry while I sniped her with the hunting rifle

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

thebardyspoon posted:

How long is this game or how much more do I have if I've done chapter 3 for Saga, I think, so minor spoilers for that and the first Alan section, I finished Coffee World, did some exploring of the side stuff after finishing that and then went back to the FBI place and poo poo has kicked off there. Next session I'm gonna jump back over to Alan where I've only just done his first forced gameplay section in the Subway and then going over to his penthouse before it kicks you back to Saga forcibly and then tutorialises the character swapping.

Feels like a massive game cause there's huge chunks of the maps I've seen already that I've barely explored.

You're maybe little less than half done.

You're over half done with Saga, but about 1/3rd in with Alan.

It took about 22 hours for me to finish the game and I did all the Rhymes / Cult Stashes / Lunchboxes.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Mailer posted:

IMO the game makes for a much better TV show/movie than it does an actual video game, which is basically also how I felt about AW1 and Quantum Break.

I love that they do wild poo poo that crosses the boundaries of genre and media form but also kind of feel like maybe they get too much of a pass on not making the game parts of their games very good.

I give Control more credit because it is a better video game but there was some really janky and frustrating poo poo in Control, too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

what the gently caress is happening in this game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SirSamVimes posted:

what the gently caress is happening in this game

A dream like jumping into the sea on a beautiful sunny day, that rapidly becomes a nightmare as you realize it's actually the middle of the night, and you never learnt how to swim

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

I love that they do wild poo poo that crosses the boundaries of genre and media form but also kind of feel like maybe they get too much of a pass on not making the game parts of their games very good.

I give Control more credit because it is a better video game but there was some really janky and frustrating poo poo in Control, too.

Control is going to go down in history as a game in my hypothetical top 5, but despite telekinesis being the best superpower ever it would not stand up at all without the weirdness of the storyline/environment. The videogame side of it wasn't lovely enough to make me stop enjoying the rest, which is a thing that's frequently the case, but it wasn't spectacular. I do not like the combat in AW2 but finding the items for the combat drives the puzzles and I like the puzzles so... yeah. As goddamn horrible as that boss fight was, not to mention all the constant bugs and crashing, the non-combat and non-mindplace parts of the game are so good.

I kept noticing what I thought was a heavy Deadly Premonition influence, then realized it's probably just a Twin Peaks influence on both games, then thought that Control really had that vibe as well which is probably why it's extremely my poo poo. Horror is old news, embrace Weird.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm about halfway through the game. The mayor is a dog, right? Seems like they're setting up that the mayor is gonna be a dog

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I've been playing this game on hard with little issue outside of some ambushes in Alan's sections. Also, while I agree the combat is kind of clunky, it's clunky in a "this is a survival horror game" way so it kind of feeds into the overall mood of the game for me.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I know some folks have bagged on the facial expressions but Rose (late game) trying to brush off Tor in the pond was loving hilariously well done.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I was really enjoying the game and then Initiation 4 took it to the next level

srypher fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 31, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

I know some folks have bagged on the facial expressions but Rose (late game)

Wait, late game? I thought maybe we were mid-game. I'm not complaining about a game that doesn't have 20 extra hours of padding, but I was so used to it that a tighter experience now feels weird.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mailer posted:

Wait, late game? I thought maybe we were mid-game. I'm not complaining about a game that doesn't have 20 extra hours of padding, but I was so used to it that a tighter experience now feels weird.

I think it feels that way because mechanically the game progresses very slowly so you assume "hah now I got all the toys now the game proper starts'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i downloaded the first game and started it up on easy, and maybe i was a little mean to it last time. it's some fun lynchy shlock.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It's not a bad game but it takes some teething to get used the mechanics and the early sections your resources are extremely limited such that you're generally encouraged to run which makes for a bit of an oppressive early game experience

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I've beaten the second Saga boss fight and first Alan section.

Some assorted thoughts
- I really liked that boss fight, it was fun and clever even though essentially just riffing on normal combat;
- I find this game more scary than any Resident Evil game since 7, including the remakes, even though 8 includes one very scary vertical slice, it's otherwise a pretty mild game compared to 7. This genuinely has me quite on edge
- in all seriousness with the jump scares, I do really like them. I find them more to be "jolts" that are destabilizing in certain sections and amping up the aggression in boss areas. They're not really "scary";
- I think I missed out on filling a clue board because I got ahead of the game on a puzzle the one about employee roles since I found it obvious and solved it without looking at all the clues. There's now spaces on the clue board that seem permanently missing and that area seems permanently marked as investigation, not that it seems to matter.

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 31, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The secret is that Resident Evil hasn't been scary since the first REmake. Even 7 quickly turns into the usual 'skulk around Umbrella base with machine gun and a billion rounds'.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah, I suppose that's true. Its scariest parts are easily its opening hours

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah RE7 has the house and a lot of tacked on stuff- Alan Wake 2 definitely tries harder to stay about horror but i do think leaning into the absurdity files it down a bit.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

AW2 does show incredible restraint in some places.

I didnt encounter a single enemy in the spooky flooded basement of all places

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I think the restraint is part of what makes it scary. Combat is relatively infrequent, but can be aggressive and dangerous when it happens, so there's a lot of tension and uncertainty about it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think I like the jump scares lol. I didn't expect to at all but it works for me. I think in large part because characters don't usually react to them, makes it work for me for some reason.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

So what’s the reward for doing all the nursery rhymes? My game glitched and I only got a charm box that had nothing in it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

WaltherFeng posted:

AW2 does show incredible restraint in some places.

I didnt encounter a single enemy in the spooky flooded basement of all places

There have been a lot of tiny areas like that that have not spawned a single enemy so far, and it’s very impressive

I haven’t tested this very extensively, but I am very convinced that the game will straight up spawn enemies in front of you if you spend too long in the mind palace/writer’s room in a hostile area.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The scariest part of the game to me so far was the section last night: Saga's second venture into an overlap, where you're just walking through a dense forest in the dark and the rain is pouring down severely restricting your visibility. It looks so loving good man.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

There have been a lot of tiny areas like that that have not spawned a single enemy so far, and it’s very impressive

I haven’t tested this very extensively, but I am very convinced that the game will straight up spawn enemies in front of you if you spend too long in the mind palace/writer’s room in a hostile area.

In the first area I was trying to solve the shotgun puzzle in the general store and suddenly a cultist rushed into the store and gave me a good scare. It wasnt in the mind place but the game definitely does spawn enemies if you linger in one spot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

So what’s the reward for doing all the nursery rhymes? My game glitched and I only got a charm box that had nothing in it.

You got it.

Check how many charm slots you have

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

You got it.

Check how many charm slots you have

Oh poo poo that’s good.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just go to the first big Alan segment and I have a gameplay question.

Am I just supposed to be using my flashlight on every shadow person I see or should I be trying to conserve it more.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ethiser posted:

Am I just supposed to be using my flashlight on every shadow person I see or should I be trying to conserve it more.

Nope you can ignore most of them. The majority are just shadows that fade away. Some are real enemies you gotta flashlight/shoot but you should be fine to run past, they'll let you know if they're real

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ethiser posted:

the latter. most of the shadows are harmless or can only weakly shove you down, but the full-on Taken are hiding among them. you can usually point them out because they advance way more aggressively

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
C can go suck a gently caress. Died to that bitch too many times and I play on easy. I love this game but goddamn the bossfights are infuriating.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ethiser posted:

To add to what others have already said, you can generally tell right away which are real enemies and which are shadows by checking if they're holding a melee weapon. Even if they teleport around aggressively they're more likely than not harmless shadows, check their hands before wasting ammo. Also seen some footage of people focusing their flashlight and wasting batteries to get rid of them, you don't need to do that. Just shining it normally on a harmless shadow is enough to make it disappear after a few seconds, focusing the beam is for when you're sure it's an actual threat and you need to clear off the shadow shield before opening fire.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Does it help to replay AW1 before starting AW1? Bought the re mastered edition as well.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

gallilee posted:

C can go suck a gently caress. Died to that bitch too many times and I play on easy. I love this game but goddamn the bossfights are infuriating.

If I were in the business of creating random GOTY categories like the Giant Bomb crew used to, Alan Wake 2 would win this year for “My Favorite Game that I Least Enjoy Playing in 2023”.

I alternate between thinking the game is just really trash to hitting stuff like We Sing, so I grit my teeth and push on to see what other wild poo poo is around the corner.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Man the writing and VA/mocap performances are really baffling me. There's just enough well-written/interesting/funny stuff to make me wonder if they really are doing a "bad on purpose, as a joke" thing for the rest of it, considering the flimsy writing and lifeless performances otherwise.

Like the writing/VA/bodywork for Estevez is phenomenal, and stands out especially against Saga's :effort: performance.

This little bit in particular cracked me the gently caress up. Decent writing elevated by phenomenal delivery and performance. Spoilers for Return 6 Scratch

https://streamable.com/dqojgc

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

ephex posted:

Does it help to replay AW1 before starting AW1? Bought the re mastered edition as well.

Playing Alan Wake 1 will help before playing Alan Wake 1. You'll be better at it for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Playing Alan Wake 1 will help before playing Alan Wake 1. You'll be better at it for sure

Thx, I'll give it a try