Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
well yeah it's stagnant by design, I started green on launch and its been quite the journey. the end result of these servers will always be that everyone collects at the top since there's no constant release of new expansions, but theres a good couple years every release where the gaming's good.

quarm goes to luclin though, which will be really interesting. but 5 years down the line it will be top heavy as well, depending on the population and whether it lasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

an iksar marauder posted:

well yeah it's stagnant by design, I started green on launch and its been quite the journey. the end result of these servers will always be that everyone collects at the top since there's no constant release of new expansions, but theres a good couple years every release where the gaming's good.

quarm goes to luclin though, which will be really interesting. but 5 years down the line it will be top heavy as well, depending on the population and whether it lasts

It actually goes to PoP too

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

insider posted:

Think they are turbo increasing spawn times and drop rates for the legacy items.

If it was just guise it'd be one thing but it's with all of them. Them doing this will completely destroy balance on the server long term IMO.

Will it? I never played past Kunark but if the end state is PoP I think everything is outclassed or neutered by then

Manastone - doesn't work in planes or expansion content, definitely has a impact on pre-planar content with every caster having one
Rubicite BP - Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate regen is better, fungi tunic regen is way better
Other rubicite - lots of people will be red for a while
GBS - Not really relevant
Fishbone Earring - Kedge is a lot more popular with everyone having easy access to this, but more and more breathing stuff gets added later
Guise - lots more people can bank confidently in Neriak

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Is there a home page for the quarm server? All I can find is like, random reddit threads and some youtube videos, but not a home page that says "here's the timeline for our server, what we've changed, what features we have, etc".

I will accept that I suck and I'm blind and bad at google and the answer is obvious.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

xZAOx posted:

Is there a home page for the quarm server? All I can find is like, random reddit threads and some youtube videos, but not a home page that says "here's the timeline for our server, what we've changed, what features we have, etc".

I will accept that I suck and I'm blind and bad at google and the answer is obvious.

It's pretty much all on their discord: https://discord.com/invite/projectquarm

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

xZAOx posted:

It's all contained within their Discord for the most part.
https://discord.gg/WVbMX4X7

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Flavahbeast posted:

Will it? I never played past Kunark but if the end state is PoP I think everything is outclassed or neutered by then

Manastone - doesn't work in planes or expansion content, definitely has a impact on pre-planar content with every caster having one
Rubicite BP - Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate regen is better, fungi tunic regen is way better
Other rubicite - lots of people will be red for a while
GBS - Not really relevant
Fishbone Earring - Kedge is a lot more popular with everyone having easy access to this, but more and more breathing stuff gets added later
Guise - lots more people can bank confidently in Neriak

I believe the problem with mana stone is that it allows folks to bind near some raid target/zone, get TL'd to old world, mana stone, gate, coth and you're at full mana. Yeah, cumbersome, but it makes things like folks dying more trivial in later content that are marathon fights.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

You’re not at full mana though. It’s 60hp for 20 mana. Its only infinite mana (in return for a lot of time) on clerics and people with clicky rune or free healing like druids and wizards. And they need to have those clickies on them as well. Even clerics arent great with it since most of their mana pool is on their gear, which still sits on their corpse after dying.

It’s an alt leveling toy but a really cool one

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Did they change how you get fishbone earring at some point? It's just on that random barbarian by the lake in Qeynos Hills right?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

The real win of Secrets adminning the Quarm server is that you wont have the keying bullshit come luclin/PoP, and that you'll likely be able to xp a lot better once AAs get in and you start aoeing down mobs

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

The real win of Secrets adminning the Quarm server is that you wont have the keying bullshit come luclin/PoP, and that you'll likely be able to xp a lot better once AAs get in and you start aoeing down mobs

O god, PoP keys can be supid easy in the first rush, or just stupid.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Going off of what is currently happening, there is 0 chance keying will be bad.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
If they let everyone get a CoF I wouldn't care. I'm not going to be playing in a few months probably anyway.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I have some clarity on how I want to play on this server. I don't think I'll have the time nor the inclination to raid ever again.

I just want to level up solo and then explore zones I never really spent much time in, especially dungeons. Would you all go Necro or Enchanter for this purpose? I think Enchanter could probably do harder content, but Necro seems safer with FD and without having to worry about charm breaks.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

enchanter, because you'll actually be able to go everywhere earlier on with illusions and faction spells. you can be non-KOS in velketor's labyrinth for example, and siren's grotto.

there's no probably about it. My necro with 300k in twink gear is outclassed by an enchanter with 1k in ec tunnel droppables.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

enchanter, because you'll actually be able to go everywhere earlier on with illusions and faction spells. you can be non-KOS in velketor's labyrinth for example, and siren's grotto.

there's no probably about it. My necro with 300k in twink gear is outclassed by an enchanter with 1k in ec tunnel droppables.

Hmm. I've played literally every char but Enchanter. Maybe it's finally time. There is something cool about the fantasy of walking into a dungeon and dominating the minds of all my foes.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Ehud posted:

I have some clarity on how I want to play on this server. I don't think I'll have the time nor the inclination to raid ever again.

I just want to level up solo and then explore zones I never really spent much time in, especially dungeons. Would you all go Necro or Enchanter for this purpose? I think Enchanter could probably do harder content, but Necro seems safer with FD and without having to worry about charm breaks.

If you're by yourself one bad Charm break can be REALLY bad in an inside zone so I personally wouldn't want to go that route.

As far as classes who can do solo shenanigans, MAG is also pretty high up there, their pets are extra burly, but they also lack a lot of the utility that NEC has. The lack of an oh poo poo button on MAG is certainly a thing, but with so much of their power packed into their pet, I found it relatively easy to break into dungeons as them, even when things were still conning blue. But man Feign Death is just so nice for solo exploration.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Classic EQ Enchanter is the greatest class in any video game, but I can't stand soloing as one for any real length of time. It's just too constantly stressful.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

a charm break killing you doesn't matter, you just pacify down to your corpse and eat the xp loss. you'll still level about 3x as fast as the second fastest leveler

it's very active soloing though. you will be at your keyboard looking at the screen most of the time. it's not an easy send pet, afk playstyle.

for exploration you can't beat enchanter though. Again, you can be non-KOS in some of the top tier dungeons. You can go to any city early on without getting owned. You have invis and invis v undead. improved invis means you can go afk for 10 mins guaranteed without being seen. necro is the next best but your charm is way worse in comparison (undead limited, no cha bonus, no tash for -magic res)

an iksar marauder fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 3, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

So, I have to decide if I want to be lazy and good, or active and the best.

I'm leaning towards Enchanter just because I've never done it before. It would provide the freshest experience.

for exploration you can't beat enchanter though. Again, you can be non-KOS in some of the top tier dungeons. You can go to any city early on without getting owned. You have invis and invis v undead. improved invis means you can go afk for 10 mins guaranteed without being seen.

This also sounds really cool.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Necro is better imo. In kunark you get instant click invis. You get IVU, FD, a pet, snare, root, etc. Necros have every tool to go anywhere they want and the ability to solo most places without that much stress. Enchanter is choice if you have a cleric box of your own or just enjoy always being on the edge.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

he isn’t going to have a prenerf circlet of shadow dude

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

he isn’t going to have a prenerf circlet of shadow dude

Ah I kind of assumed this was the PQ thread now haha. In which case he’ll have a pre nerf circlet. Even so, necro is way better for soloing through classic and kunark. Enchanter if you have a pocket cleric but otherwise nah.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
We are doing Kedge tonight... my most hated zone in classic lol

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Ehud posted:

I've got a 60 ENC and 60 NEC on P99. For the purposes of exploring lower level dungeons and loving around, I have to say NEC takes it. ENC is better for tryhard stuff, but so much more fragile. Having FD, a useful pet you can summon anywhere (that stays your pet and doesn't randomly turn around and try to kill you), oodles of self healing, their kit just makes putzing around lower level dungeons so much less stressful IMO.

If your goal is to be able to explore everything up to high level stuff, and as a bonus be able to knock out high value targets, then ENC is it, but it's much more stressful.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

rally posted:

Ah I kind of assumed this was the PQ thread now haha. In which case he’ll have a pre nerf circlet. Even so, necro is way better for soloing through classic and kunark. Enchanter if you have a pocket cleric but otherwise nah.

You know what's wild? I was talking about Quarm lol.

My bad, everyone. I should have specified! It's getting confusing because we're talking about both servers ITT now.

retpocileh posted:

I've got a 60 ENC and 60 NEC on P99. For the purposes of exploring lower level dungeons and loving around, I have to say NEC takes it. ENC is better for tryhard stuff, but so much more fragile. Having FD, a useful pet you can summon anywhere (that stays your pet and doesn't randomly turn around and try to kill you), oodles of self healing, their kit just makes putzing around lower level dungeons so much less stressful IMO.

If your goal is to be able to explore everything up to high level stuff, and as a bonus be able to knock out high value targets, then ENC is it, but it's much more stressful.

I'm legit still on the fence. Every other post sways me one direction or the other.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ehud posted:

I just want to level up solo and then explore zones I never really spent much time in, especially dungeons.

I think solo is just, the absolute worst way to play EQ.

That said, if those are your goals, I'd really recommend just playing live. You can play it for free (especially on Test server!), get a tank merc, and do exactly what you stated. With a billion better features and engine improvements, and you'll have the zones to yourself. The tank merc will carry you until like, 50 or 60. The F2P restrictions won't affect you since you're just on a nostalgia tour, and I believe a lot of those are removed on the test server. You can also copy your old live character to the test server if you want, or use /testbuff to level to 25 and have classic gear.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I’ll take quarm but there’s a thread for live eq dude. Live eq fuckin sucks lmao

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

If you’re on quarm go necro if you can deal with not being an iksar, pet classes are great there since pets summon at max level

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Being an iksar isn’t that big of a deal. Min maxxing old eq expansions is…not a good use of effort.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Gnome Necro. Creation points: 25 Dex/5 int or strength. Melee everything with a pet and Vampiric Embrace. It's a good time and more engaging than fear kiting

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Gnome Necro. Creation points: 25 Dex/5 int or strength. Melee everything with a pet and Vampiric Embrace. It's a good time and more engaging than fear kiting

The path of the Bone Knight is strong, get yourself a weapon with a proc early and you'll be super swole.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

PrinnySquad posted:

The path of the Bone Knight is strong, get yourself a weapon with a proc early and you'll be super swole.

A weapon that procs early, you say? Such as Crookstinger, available one zone away from Steamfont and gettable at level 10-ish if you’re careful? Early in classic it’s also pretty easy to snag a Dragoon Dirk and a pair of Cutthroat Insignia Rings for an even earlier dex boost. Bone Knight is the way :hai:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Enchanter is flat out the best class to do what you're asking about Ehud, but you may have more opportunities to chill with other classes (though mem blur should be working for awhile still on everything, not sure where PQs mechanics stand on this).

Also I think discussing both P99 and PQ is great for this thread but yeah, maybe try to preface which servers you're talking about before starting a new convo.

On that note, anyone playing PQ interested in providing a blurb for the OP? Any great thread title ideas? If not I'll come up with something boring but functional.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

rally posted:

Being an iksar isn’t that big of a deal. Min maxxing old eq expansions is…not a good use of effort.

it's bis fashion

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

it's bis fashion

Their shamans are pretty for sure!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

shirunei posted:

Their shamans are pretty for sure!

Marda and Fuga would like a word with you.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I'm a fan of making classes look like other classes, netted kelp is the only usable non-robe fashion I could find so far

maybe I'll get him some tov loot

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Marda and Fuga would like a word with you.

Sorry I don't speak smoothskin. *spits*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fashion?? no thx just give me the stats