Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

AAA Industry kinda blows these days, nobody has time to play anymore IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The few success / survival stories seem to be from studios who essentially demoted themselves to indie or relied on fan crowdfunding in ways that were (at the time) a huge risk. Obsidian with Pillars, Digital Extremes with Warframe; I'm sure I've read a few stories of studios who shifted to smaller budget projects after realising they were one failed project away from getting destroyed.

And then at the opposite end of the spectrum you have studios who threw in 100% with the publisher / corporate route and got loving destroyed, like Bioware, the most extreme example of ZA/UM & Disco Elysium, and now Bungie.

It just feels like the model can't sustain itself, and it's frustrating when at one end of the equation you have devs being hired and fired on a per-game basis, and every penny possible being wrung out of players; and then at the other end you have Bobby loving Kotick getting more money than any of us will see in our entire lives as a bonus every time they fire a bunch of people or invent a new exploitative type of MTX.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1719396652996317488?t=8Em9mABcw0LZF3MZRhbAQQ&s=19

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I got a sneaking suspicion that Bungie is going to start leaking like a sieve to the usual suspects as aggrieved employees start opening up on whatever hosed up mismanagement has lead to situations like the last couple of days

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/HeyFitzy/status/1719086057096958328

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

elpaganoescapa posted:

I'm thinking Marathon is going on the chopping block also. I was looking forward to it but cannot actually imagine how could they make it a blockbuster, it's such a niche genre

No. Marathon is what they're betting everything on. Nobody from Marathon got fired yesterday. The management expects it to do really well because they're pinning all their financial hopes on it.

The issue is that it's being released to a crowded market, so it has to be far and away the best extraction shooter out there to sell and then continue to have engagement. And in it's defense the A-team at Bungie is working on it and multiplayer games aren't exactly out of their wheelhouse. Personally, I hope it fails because I'm petty.

I think they should have invested more in Destiny. Not just because I'm a fan, but they captured lightning in a bottle and had a really successful games as service game that is unlike basically anything else out there. Realistically it has no competition.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 31, 2023

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Hopping on the extraction shooter train about 10 years late

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Well, I guess that explains why the thread had so many new posts.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think they should have invested more in Destiny. Not just because I'm a fan, but they captured lightning in a bottle and had a really successful games as service game that is unlike basically anything else out there. Realistically it has no competition.
They caught lightning in a bottle and then dropped that bottle so many times, by the end it was a coin battery balanced precariously on a shard of glass, with a post-it note attached saying LICK THE BATTERY 20 TIMES FOR A MILD BUZZ

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They caught lightning in a bottle and then dropped that bottle so many times, by the end it was a coin battery balanced precariously on a shard of glass, with a post-it note attached saying LICK THE BATTERY 20 TIMES FOR A MILD BUZZ

Yeah but the “lightning” here is that regardless of how bad they’ve screwed the pooch, people still want more Destiny. People don’t want Destiny to go away, they just want it to be good. It’s up there with WoW that way, in that the IP has real resiliency and mindshare. Ironically, WoW/Blizzard seems like they’re on the opposite track from Bungie, which is not how I saw things going a few years ago.

I have significant doubts they’re going to repeat it with Marathon. Destiny was a really fortuitous blend of gameplay that invested you in an online identity and world-building that had a ton of different access points (do you like fantasy? Check! Do you like sci-fi? Sure! Are you just a person who likes guns? Come on in!). I just don’t think that extraction shooters can replicate that broad appeal. Someone else would have already done it, and the games that are in the space have captured the niche market that are jazzed about it.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

If that's true then holy poo poo that's awful

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
If that is true please disregard my previous posts about still playing The Final Shape.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Getting laid off sucks but also that looks like the most absolute, utterly bog-standard layoff process of all time (in history)? No part of that looks unusual (and again getting laid off inherently is awful)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe, but it sucks to hear it confirmed that the layoffs were decided by the leadership at Bungie itself rather than coming down from Sony

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

Maybe, but it sucks to hear it confirmed that the layoffs were decided by the leadership at Bungie itself rather than coming down from Sony

Doubly so when it sounds like they're laying off some important talent rather unceremoniously?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

rather unceremoniously?

You have to do it that way. If you fire someone and say "oh jesus it sucks that we are firing you, you are seriously SO good at your job, can't believe how valuable you are to the team" you get sued.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

drat that is rough if only there was some way to not endlessly sacrifice actual humans, product quality, etc. at the altar of endless “growth” and the unending thirst of capital???

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Getting laid off sucks but also that looks like the most absolute, utterly bog-standard layoff process of all time (in history)? No part of that looks unusual (and again getting laid off inherently is awful)
Did you read the Tassi tweet about the shares, and announcing it on the 30th? Standard or not, that's pretty hosed.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah but the “lightning” here is that regardless of how bad they’ve screwed the pooch, people still want more Destiny. People don’t want Destiny to go away, they just want it to be good.
Oh I agree with you. Destiny is a stupendously good IP wasted on a steady stream of people who've just done really weird things with it.

Many years ago Extra Credits did a great video comparing D1 to a kind of gaming 'comfort food' and how if you log on there's always something good to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfhPNsQtaXo

I was playing through Beyond Light to unlock stasis on an alt the other night and I did find myself missing just playing the game for that - story missions, patrols, using whatever guns seemed fun, unlocking new things.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Did you read the Tassi tweet about the shares, and announcing it on the 30th? Standard or not, that's pretty hosed.

It is both standard and hosed, yes

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It is both standard and hosed, yes

:smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol American employment laws are trash and non existent. It’s infuriating.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah defending the complete lack of severance or redundancy is incredible ameribrain

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Lol jesus they even got rid of Lorraine McLees. She had been doing art for them since Oni

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Paracausal posted:

complete lack of severance

Source?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paracausal posted:

Yeah defending the complete lack of severance or redundancy is incredible ameribrain

If my employer wants to lay me off they have to prove my job is financially unviable for the company lol.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So we're not getting the disciple or doggo masks for bright dust then?

Not the most pressing issue right now, I realise.

E: Also ADA has Goldleaf, just incase you want the other best gold shader in the game.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 31, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah. Learning they pulled the "1 day of benefits" scheme so they don't have to pay insurance while Liana Ruppert was recently diagnosed with cancer literally boils my blood in anger.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Not this year! That is a product designed to harvest actual cash money dollars, not to drive engagement

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah. Learning they pulled the "1 day of benefits" scheme so they don't have to pay insurance while Liana Ruppert was recently diagnosed with cancer literally boils my blood in anger.

The 1 day of benefits is not related to health insurance. She'll enroll in cobra and be bankrupted by the cost of care no different than if she was still employed by bungie

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I feel I can swing simultaneously being angry at Bungie for eliminating her from her position needlessly in her time of greatest need simply to appease the god of "number going up!!" and the American healthcare industry. Which is concentrated evil.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Absolutely you can be mad

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1719445792505647373?s=20

Some more light shed on this whole mess

Highlights:

* ~100 people laid off, 8% of staff
* Missing revenue targets by 45%
* Weak player retention after Lightfall
* Final Shape getting "good not great" feedback, delayed for improvement
* Some cut roles are getting outsourced
* "The layoffs are part of a larger money-saving initiative at Sony’s PlayStation unit, which has also cut employees at studios such as Naughty Dog, Media Molecule and its San Mateo office."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
45%? RIP

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

quote:

* Missing revenue targets by 45%
* Final Shape getting "good not great" feedback

mamma mia

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

No kidding, that's apocalyptic since Bungie has nothing else to support themselves with

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I mean the question is how high were their revenue targets, and why isn’t studio management being held to account for a whiff that big?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean the question is how high were their revenue targets, and why isn’t studio management being held to account for a whiff that big?

When has management ever been held to account for something like this?

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

quote:

Employees who were let go will receive at least three months of severance and three months of Bungie-paid COBRA health insurance, although other benefits, such as expense reimbursements, ended Monday, sending some staff racing to submit their receipts.
small mercies, at least

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

management being held to account

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
45%?! Holy poo poo, that is way worse than I thought :smith:.