Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What's the go to decent VR setup these days.. reverb 2 used still a better than quest 2 recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tater_salad posted:

What's the go to decent VR setup these days.. reverb 2 used still a better than quest 2 recommendation?

For seated stuff, and for the moment, the G2 still reigns supreme, but I think it’s about to get unseated by the new-gen stuff. If you can wait for my Beyond to get here, I’ll flip my G2 your way for not many dollars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only thing I wish I could change about the G2 is that I wish it didn't need three cables to work.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MrYenko posted:

For seated stuff, and for the moment, the G2 still reigns supreme, but I think it’s about to get unseated by the new-gen stuff. If you can wait for my Beyond to get here, I’ll flip my G2 your way for not many dollars.

I do seated my kid (15) does standing.

I bought the quest because.y Lenovo explorer broke (I may try and fix it now that I have a 3d printer) aand I didn't want to spend a grand on VR with the index or.vive.

VVV 3 cables is a bit much ugh...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*shouts from the mountaintops*

Riiiiiiiiift Ssssssssssss

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

*shouts from the mountaintops*

Riiiiiiiiift Ssssssssssss

Was that the original? I had issues with it fitting over my glasses

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012
To be clear about the G2's cable situation, there is one long cable running to the headset, and it splits out into USB/DisplayPort/power 2-3 feet from the PC. It's probably not a big issue unless you need to cable manage often, but I did find myself unplugging the power from the splitter box so that the headset doesn't stay warm after use

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Yeah the G2 has one cable to the headset, and it’s plenty long enough for any sitting application.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What about the Bigscreen Beyond? Have people started receiving orders for that yet or is it still just YouTube reviewers? I imagine that has to replace the Index and G2 as the high-end wired option, right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tater_salad posted:

Was that the original? I had issues with it fitting over my glasses

Nope, that was just the Rift, the S is the reworked model

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KillHour posted:

What about the Bigscreen Beyond? Have people started receiving orders for that yet or is it still just YouTube reviewers? I imagine that has to replace the Index and G2 as the high-end wired option, right?

1,000 usd is out of my range.. I'm looking at used g2s not new valve headsets.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Seems EA WRC can’t even be properly reviewed. The game has constant micro-stuttering where no one can complete a stage.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

jabro posted:

Seems EA WRC can’t even be properly reviewed. The game has constant micro-stuttering where no one can complete a stage.

oh no, oh dear. oh that's not good at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

jabro posted:

Not a word from all those YouTubers with prerelease access.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Eh. I've been playing it quite a bit today, and had fun. The new stages are a big improvement to what is otherwise familiar Dirt Rally. I have seen stuttering, but I guess I'm not as sensitive to that stuff as others. If it's a dealbreaker for you I would avoid WRC for the moment.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Gonna wait for news about a hotfix, if nothing else.

Reviews in general are positive so far (85 on opencritic from a bunch of dinky sites). One Norwegian review was critical because grip was too tight compared to DR 2.0 and that admitted that it was "realistic but not as exciting", which is just like... it's not f-zero dude. They also highlighted that it was better than the bad grip situations from 2.0, but it's still a silly point of criticism.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sounds like another possible case of people thinking "hard to drive" equals "realism."

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah. If I want to feel like I'm being explosively decompressed over the course of five minutes I'll drive a Stratos because Group B was a biblical car plague tamed by driver-knights, but the thing about the advancement of car design is that it makes cars easier to drive, and that should be reflected accurately.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
For people who have it, does it have a less jumpy camera option? Something in my eyes and/or brain just can't keep up with the shaking camera any more, the Argentina stages (or whichever the most bumpy country was) in DR2 are straight up unplayable for me these days. Like, the visuals don't resolve to anything meaningful any more (Okay, that's slightly exaggerated but it's really really unpleasant).

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Camera shake was set to 100 as default. I turned it down to 0, and its acceptable to my eyes. Not sure if any better than DR2, but I know the feeling. Playing on bonnet cam.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah. If I want to feel like I'm being explosively decompressed over the course of five minutes I'll drive a Stratos because Group B was a biblical car plague tamed by driver-knights, but the thing about the advancement of car design is that it makes cars easier to drive, and that should be reflected accurately.

This is my beef with GT3 cars in games that aren't ACC. GT and the Forzae make McLaren F1s of all of them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

jabro posted:

I will say I’ve been playing a bunch of it and haven’t seen a stutter yet.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
My biggest beef currently is that they seem to have removed the "one shot" daily, weekly etc challenges. Those where basically all I played in the two last games. There are 3 "moments" public set rules races , but you can retry them as you please. I hope they are added for the proper launch on the 3.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Gonna wait for news about a hotfix, if nothing else.

One of the reviews I watched last night said there was going to be a patch within the first week after launch that would presumably include generally last minute things like performance items and it is generally the last thing in the game dev cycle because something something premature optimization.

Humbug posted:

My biggest beef currently is that they seem to have removed the "one shot" daily, weekly etc challenges. Those where basically all I played in the two last games. There are 3 "moments" public set rules races , but you can retry them as you please. I hope they are added for the proper launch on the 3.

Was disappointed to see no note of this in the alpha build or the two video reviews I watched--disappointed to hear it is in fact not there. The no-retry dailies, weeklies, and monthlies were a good time and a great use of the stage/car variety. A big part of doing them for me though was that the career was bland garbage in DR2.0 whereas it seems like there's actually meat on the bones for career in this with car builder + Junior/WRC2/WRC progression + team building. I do hope they add them in later since surely it wasn't much effort on their end anyway.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Alright. I've been playing EA WRC most of the day and will share my thoughts. For reference, I'm playing on PC, with a i9-9900k and RTX 2080ti on today's nvidia drivers. Graphics settings are ultra with motion blur turned off and using DLSS Quality, playing on triple 1080p monitors (via nvidia surround). Dirt Rally 2.0 is my primary sim, and I'm generally pretty good at it, generally in the top 5% of leaderboard times, sometimes significantly better, sometimes a little worse. I'm not world class or anything but I can handle driving.

First, to get it out of the way, the bad, of varying degrees of bad:

* Stutters. These were actually godawful for me when I first fired up the game, and have been getting progressively better as I've been playing, even when I enter a new country's events. Initially I was occasionally getting what felt like a full second of a stutter from time to time, plus microstutters, and the game felt unplayable. It seems that if you restart a stage, though, even if you weren't far in, the stutters are almost entirely gone. I did that for a while, but now I'm not really having any big stutters at all, and the microstutters are certainly livable. They still really need to fix it, but at least on my system, they're not all that horrible. It should be noted that all my hard drives are NVME, which maybe helps at least a little. I would say that if you start a career, put on unlimited restarts and just police yourself if you would otherwise consider it cheating, because it's certainly plausible that you'll crash catastrophically due to a major stutter.

* Cars are just a hair too grippy. Jardier and Jimmy Broadbent have mentioned this and I generally agree. It isn't a huge deal honestly, and I feel the game is more accessible to people who aren't huge rally nerds as a result.

* No telemetry. This is maddening to me, and I worry it's due to like a year exclusive partnership with D-Box. I can't use my bass shakers, my dash/LEDs, or any of the other poo poo I use simhub for. They say they'll fix it in a future patch, but it's extremely vague, and I can't imagine there were technical challenges with something this trivial, hence my worry about the D-Box exclusivity since right now it only works with that.

* Co-driver minor issues. All in all, it's pretty good, but the calls sometimes don't come early enough and sometimes they're hard to understand and at least twice I heard the co-driver making 2 calls on top of each other which made both unintelligible. That said, I haven't heard any "blatantly wrong" calls, or at least ones that felt really wrong. Poland was notorious for this in DR 2.0 it felt like. I also had to turn engine and other sounds down to about 80-85% in order to hear the co-driver well enough. I play with a 5.1 speaker system and maybe it's less bad with headphones. Easy enough fix either way.

* Minor things. Sometimes the graphics look bizarrely bad on certain stages, other times they look great. I feel like there's a bug somewhere. Setting up the controls was minorly annoying because when it's first trying to have you do it, it doesn't actually tell you the name of what it wants you to configure. My recommendation is just bail out of it and then go into the options and do it one by one since you'll be able to see the controller name. If you just have like a logitech or fanatec wheel/pedals it's not going to affect you. If you're me and have a simucube 2 pro base, ascher wheel button box, two thrustmaster shifters, heusinkveld pedals, and another button box, it's kind of annoying. But easily worked around. I didn't have any issues with peripherals not working. FOV slider is unclear what the number means. FOV may not be super adjustable on some cameras based on what I've read. I use hoodcam because I record them for my rally club friends, and my rally club friends have told me that the in-car views give them motion sickness when they're watching the videos, so I dunno, I just use hoodcam now. I really would have loved angle correction and real triple monitor support, too, but it's fine and just the same as DR 2.0 basically, arguably better since it'll stick all the gauges and whatnot on the middle screen instead of the far edges.

Ok - that seems like a long list, but I'm really just being comprehensive. The stutters are somewhat inexcusable, and it seems like for some people they're absolutely atrocious. Mine got better quick enough that I find them very tolerable for time being. Anyways, now for the Good:

* Stages are fantastic. They don't have as many "traps" as DR 2.0 had, so you can get away with running a little wide here and there. The stages are just fun and varied and just overall better than DR 2.0's stages IMO. That was the one thing that the previous WRC games had going for them was cool stages. I love that there are super long stages now.

* The cars are great. Aside from the aforementioned overly-grippy aspect (this is seriously livable unless you're a RBR-only person) they all feel good and sound great. There's great variety too.

* Rally school will be great for beginners. I went through it to see what it was like, and while I didn't really learn anything (and actually failed a challenge a few times for going too fast through it), it would have been super helpful when I was a beginner. This will have value for most people I think.

* Career mode is actually good! DR 2.0's career mode was tacked-on garbage and the only thing worth doing with it was the daily/weekly events. This is a less-stupid version of the one that was in the WRC games. You don't get dumb challenges where you're told you can't use wet tires on wet asphalt or whatever. That said, at least with "Long" rallies selected, you *do* need to plan a bit with your tires, since you only have a couple sets available to use. I don't particularly care about the car builder, and honestly as a general concept in racing games I don't care about career mode stuff normally, but this one is entertaining enough and not really disruptive and I'll probably continue to play it for quite a while.

* Basically everything else. It's fun as hell. I've been playing career mode most of the day with "Long" rallies, and it's been a blast. It's maybe a *little* less simulation than I'd like, but it's fun enough that I don't really care, and I can fire up RBR if I want to be a big nerd about it. It definitely isn't arcade, and while it's more forgiving than DR 2.0, you'll 100% be punished for bad driving and can't just yeet around with no worries.

tl;dr: Game is a lot of fun. Some rough edges with launch issues, and WHERE IS MY TELEMETRY??!?!?!?!?!, but super fun and good. A very good first game with the WRC license, and I hope they stick to the formula as time goes on and don't pull an EA. I know I talked more about bad than good, but that's just because it's kind of hard to talk about basically everything without sounding weird. It's good, it's fun.

If I had to give a rating, I'd give 4/5 with .75 being added if/when they fix stutters and add telemetry.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

cool, a rally game with shader compilation stutter :thumbsup:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ssb posted:

* Stages are fantastic. They don't have as many "traps" as DR 2.0 had, so you can get away with running a little wide here and there. The stages are just fun and varied and just overall better than DR 2.0's stages IMO. That was the one thing that the previous WRC games had going for them was cool stages. I love that there are super long stages now.

I think a big part of this is just them being able to just straight up use the real world stages, like how Sweden in DR was always a slower and technical rally but is now what it should be. Super fast and loving terrifying.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

This is my beef with GT3 cars in games that aren't ACC. GT and the Forzae make McLaren F1s of all of them.

What do you mean by this? I associate GT3 with being very friendly and easy to drive (or is that what you're saying?) in iRacing. I haven't really done a lot of driving in other sims.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

spaceblancmange posted:

cool, a rally game with shader compilation stutter :thumbsup:

Yeah, I feel they can fix it though. ACC doesn’t have that issue, although a track isn’t necessarily comparable to a long stage without repeating sections. We’ll see.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

What do you mean by this? I associate GT3 with being very friendly and easy to drive (or is that what you're saying?) in iRacing. I haven't really done a lot of driving in other sims.

The console sims both really love to make faster cars harder and Forza especially has never really gotten downforce right. A big part of this is neither game having decent options for real world assists, though GT7 at least has levels of ABS and TC that can be adjusted on the fly which is a decent halfway step at least.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

njsykora posted:

The console sims both really love to make faster cars harder and Forza especially has never really gotten downforce right. A big part of this is neither game having decent options for real world assists, though GT7 at least has levels of ABS and TC that can be adjusted on the fly which is a decent halfway step at least.

The console “sims” are not sims. At best they are simcade.

ACC is actually on the sim side of things. Comparing ACC to GT7/Forza is folly imo, they don’t have the same goals at all.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I've got more of a midrange PC that has issues running the new forza decently (9700f and a 3770 ti) and it's running pretty flawless for me fwiw. I turned down reflections because I heard that made a huge impact but otherwise running a mix of medium and high stuff at 1440p on a super uotrawide and getting 90-120 fps most of the time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bruc posted:

I've got more of a midrange PC that has issues running the new forza decently (9700f and a 3770 ti) and it's running pretty flawless for me fwiw. I turned down reflections because I heard that made a huge impact but otherwise running a mix of medium and high stuff at 1440p on a super uotrawide and getting 90-120 fps most of the time.

Sorry what game are you talking about? WRC?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I didn't explicitly share my performance in WRC so I'll mention that now. With the 9900k/2080ti and triple 1080p monitors I was getting a pretty solid 75fps with DLSS Quality and Ultra settings, minus motion blur. Vsync set to on in the nvidia control panel for the game (gsync monitor and that usually seems to work best). I also turned on MFAA for the game in the nvidia control panel, which I think helped the visuals a little bit, but I'm not sure. I haven't noticed any framerate issues aside from the stutters I already wrote about.

edit: awful app ate part of my post >:|

ssb fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 1, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

necrotic posted:

The console “sims” are not sims. At best they are simcade.

ACC is actually on the sim side of things. Comparing ACC to GT7/Forza is folly imo, they don’t have the same goals at all.

I think that's sort of the point they're making though (and I think they know FM/GT aren't proper sims); you'd expect that cars would be easier to handle in a simcade rather than harder.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nobody in here needs "GT and Forza are simcade" explained to them. It's practically a cliche at this point, even outside this thread everyone's heard it.

It's clear that both games - especially Forza - subscribe to the notion that it's more realistic for faster cars or lose traction at the drop of a hat in their most sim-oriented modes, and for modern race cars that just isn't true. In that respect they're failing at both "sim" and "cade."

Bruc
May 30, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry what game are you talking about? WRC?

yep my bad.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I’m glad the stuttering in the EA game isn’t as bad for some as I was led to believe. Them letting it out with something so blatant would be shocking but not so surprising .

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Great first impression for me:
- Enter game, doesn't pick up my wheel by default at all (Moza R9)
- Picks it up going into settings, but completely unconfigured... long while going through settings to set up all the buttons and crap
- Hop into rally school to test everything works: countdown finishes, release the handbrake and... nothing... just sit there revving away
- Look at the settings again... nothing seems amiss except the clutch being 100% always... calibrate that
- Try starting again, still the car doesn't move
- Google... find a suggestion it's related to it defaulting to 0 deadzone on the handbrake so the handbrake never disengages
- Try it out, hey the car moves!
- Drive for a few seconds... wait, why is the wheel completely freely moving?
- Look at options... try changing the force feedback to just on instead of drivers
- Still no FFB
- Google google google... sounds like a lot of folks with Moza are having the issue... a solution editing an XML file!
- Follow that solution, load into the game and... still no FFB
- Update Moza firmware for my wheel, that breaks stuff, need to recalibrate everything
- Load up the game... still no FFB
- Try other stuff... still no FFB
- Decide to fire up Dirt Rally 2.0 to make sure my wheel isn't borked, I haven't used it in months... and it works totally fine, although the FFB is crazy strong because it appeared to have lost all my settings at some point (both keybinds and FFB)
- Back to WRC and it just keeps not recognizing my wheel at all every time the game is closed and coming up with the "calibrate device" prompt going into settings and it defaulting to unknown despite adding it to the XML telling it it's a wheel

3+ hours in and I've completed a few rally school things all with 0 FFB and the solutions I could find on the EA help and Reddit don't fix it for me. Cool. Asinine they don't support Moza hardware out of the box these days to begin with.

Only other thing of note was it was definitely stuttering a bit on initial loads as others have mentioned, but didn't even get far enough into things for stuttering to be a concern at all--small fries compared to literally no FFB.

Edit: And in classic rubber duck coding fashion... after complaining about it, on a lark I just clicked on the XML file that it default kept wanting to open in MS Edge and saw it had an error. And the place that I copy/pasted the fix from had directional quotes which broke the XML. Just straight copy/pasting over from my Dirt Rally 2.0 file (sans directional quotes) and it fixed it. Computers sometimes. :gonk: But also: love websites for trying to help people not understanding the concept of a codebox that strips out their stupid autoformatting breaking the fix.

bUm fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

WRC good

Also, one-shot events aren’t gone: that’s what clubs are. There are two official clubs currently running championships, and I’m sure there will be plenty doing daily/weekly/monthly events. I made one for Bearpope but haven’t added anything yet (if nobody else does first I’ll do it tomorrow).

E: And I haven’t really had any stutter issues, just a few on first run when it was (I assume) building the shader cache but since then it’s been smooth sailing

Eyud fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 1, 2023