Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This is the state most comic book and video game stores are in with them, because so many of them loaded up on them when they were selling as quickly as they arrived, but now all those stores have entire walls of those boxes that they just can't get rid of.

Yeah. One of my local record stores got rid of physical movies entirely to make room for more Funko a couple years ago and have sold basically none of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got Rick and Morty ones when the show first dropped and they were my first and last pops and I pretty much gave them to a friend for free just to get them out of my house. Ugly useless things

Never again

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a well-worn saying, “Funko pops suck until they make one of something you like.”

but then they take the thing you like and make it uglier. it's basically a corporate mascot cosplaying as the thing you like.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

M_Sinistrari posted:

At this point I'm convinced they'll make a funco out of anything.

Splint Chesthair posted:

No, the weirdest are when they make one of every character from a TV show where there's no distinctive or consistent look for most of the characters. So you get figures of "Brown-haired guy in red sweater" or "Black-haired woman with leather jacket" and if you didn't keep the box there's no way to tell who the hell they're supposed to be.

The strange thing is that if you removed the makeup I think this would still be recognizably Rob Cordry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Still the funniest funko

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like the funko's i have (a godzilla, mac from its always sunny as the night man and for some reason I was a runner up for a USA Network contest and received the entire line of Mr. Robot funko's that are sitting in the box they were delivered in in a closet somewhere in this apartment).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I kinda like that one if only because it has striking colors. It's not just another tan colored identical blob.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CelticPredator posted:

Still the funniest funko

Oh, I can top that.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
there have been five different tupac shakur funko pops

also multiple biggie smalls and kurt cobains

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 31, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wonder if they’ll make some When Evil Lurks funkos

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ruddiger posted:

Wonder if they’ll make some When Evil Lurks funkos

probably when the When Evil Lurks American remake happens.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Last I heard, it's pretty much tanked. Even the Funko company pulled an E.T. dump in a landfill disposal of figures because they've become so worthless.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/markets/everett-toymaker-funko-plans-to-cut-products-run-leaner-after-losses/

The Seattle Times posted:

Funko, maker of toys, apparel and accessories inspired by pop culture, vowed Thursday to run a leaner operation and reduce its product line after reporting a 24% drop in revenues and a nearly $76 million loss in the second quarter.

For the quarter ending June 30, the Everett-based company reported $240 million in revenue compared with $315.7 million in the same period last year. It also missed analyst expectations of $253.2 million.

Funko interim CEO Michael Lunsford said in a call with investors Thursday the drop was a result of “ongoing inventory destocking by some of our larger U.S. wholesale customers.”

The company has been taking cost-reduction steps, including layoffs and inventory shedding. Funko said Thursday it plans to reduce its product line by 30%.

It did go way down, but also they still made 240 million in revenue in the second quarter. There's probably a path back to profitability in there somewhere.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Oh, I can top that.

This one came to mind for me too. I'm also partial to this one:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crescent Wrench posted:

This one came to mind for me too. I'm also partial to this one:

Ok that's pretty funny

Wake me up when they do one of The Meat from Rocky:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

this is definitely the one i like the least of my paintings from this experiment butmy wife told me to post it because i finished it technically

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
SPOOKY CLOWN poo poo

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Caught a festival Halloween screening of Late Night With the Devil and man, it owned. WNUF Halloween Special meets The Exorcist with a splash of cult stuff and David Dastmalchian is incredible as a Carson/Conan/Springer pastiche in the lead. Great tension and scares and only 90 minutes, what a winner.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe during COVID there were a lot of people stuck in their homes who were looking at that Funko collection and having a realization that they'd really rather have something they can actually get some entertainment out of like books or movies or music.

It was kind of the other way. They really blew up along with a lot of other collectibles (sports and pokemon cards also went crazy) during Covid when people/nerds were stuck at home and had extra fun money from not going to the movies/restaurants/etc. Now people have other things to do and the economy is worse, so they're falling.

But also, yeah they way overproduced and went full Beanie Baby bad business decisions. The ET dump they did was an interesting mix. Some was depressing :capitalism: stuff like mulching a bunch of Santa Jack Skellington's because it cost more to store them for a year than it did to just re-run them and they didn't want to kill a future run by dumping them on the market. But also there was a bunch of super stupid stuff like the Funko board game (monopoly with little Funko pieces you could buy) that were so unwanted that I don't even think people bothered to make fun of them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also the problem with the Funko model is that they're strip-mining the past. Once you've done all the big properties of the 2000s - 1990s - 1980s (and pretty much stop there, because Boomers ain't buying this poo poo) you've got nothing left to sell. What hot new hits are coming out? We're in total idea stagnation right now because of the brain-dead MBAs being sold on the power of franchising and established IP brands.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Does anyone else do the NYT Connections puzzle? That got a smile out of me this morning.

I hate Connections and it sucks and isn’t fun (I do it every day) but yeah that made me smile too :)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New Salem's Lot being considered for Max

https://twitter.com/KillerCritics/status/1719497846930788405

I agree with that take, basically. With how it was completely off the schedule for basically the year prior, I thought they'd quietly binned it

Like the article and Variety both said, this has nothing to do with quality. (1) Anyone following the WBD saga over the last year knows they've given up on caring or marketing anything, and they've tripled down on considering films/shows "content" instead of art or work. 2) Dauberman may be 0-1 directing, but he's batting .500 writing and that's more than good enough for a watch.) Even if it did, who cares? Release it, people worked hard on it and it deserves a chance at an audience

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Enough about Funkos, somebody tell me if the new Hell House has any explicit sex or nudity. I'm planning to watch it in mixed company with some sensitivities.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

New Salem's Lot being considered for Max

https://twitter.com/KillerCritics/status/1719497846930788405

I agree with that take, basically. With how it was completely off the schedule for basically the year prior, I thought they'd quietly binned it

Like the article and Variety both said, this has nothing to do with quality. (1) Anyone following the WBD saga over the last year knows they've given up on caring or marketing anything, and they've tripled down on considering films/shows "content" instead of art or work. 2) Dauberman may be 0-1 directing, but he's batting .500 writing and that's more than good enough for a watch.) Even if it did, who cares? Release it, people worked hard on it and it deserves a chance at an audience

Finally. Word is that it's a solid and entertaining flick, but light on the character depth and thematic nuance.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Origami Dali posted:

Enough about Funkos, somebody tell me if the new Hell House has any explicit sex or nudity. I'm planning to watch it in mixed company with some sensitivities.

Nope, no nudity or sex at all!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Origami Dali posted:

It's as chaste as a funko pop.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I saw a couple kids out as Art the Clown tonight.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Caught a festival Halloween screening of Late Night With the Devil and man, it owned. WNUF Halloween Special meets The Exorcist with a splash of cult stuff and David Dastmalchian is incredible as a Carson/Conan/Springer pastiche in the lead. Great tension and scares and only 90 minutes, what a winner.

I said it before I think but Dastmalchian is operating on a completely different level right now.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I watched Reanimator tonight finally, and wow have I been sleeping on it. It’s not spooky, but it’s a ton of fun. So much blood and decapitated zombie head wackiness.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Salems Thot

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

it’s so insane that the fourth Hell House LLC movie is somehow good. (I really liked the first one but haven’t seen any of the others; I’d have to imagine it’s diminishing returns in 2 and 3)

Burned through the three of them tonight. They’re not great but I liked them all; I guess as long as you imply a movie takes place somewhere I’ve been and you make it star a lady I’m instantly on board

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Realized this afternoon I'm all horror'd out so I decided to watch the diametric opposite of horror to push my brain the other direction: Nichijou

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Around here we switch to Romcom November.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Meg Ryancore is horror

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hilario Baldness posted:

Realized this afternoon I'm all horror'd out so I decided to watch the diametric opposite of horror to push my brain the other direction: Nichijou

The only good anime.. nice choice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just found out that Rick James wrote a song about Linda Blair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4jJQFXWp4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tomorrow is art the clown day part two. You can’t end horror yet

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

For me, I always follow up my Horror channel with Food & Cooking as the theme for November. But it does look like my first weekly movie night with my partner will be Across The Universe & Juno so I understand digging into diametric opposites.

Nichijou is an excellent choice but I say there's never a wrong time to rewatch Nichijou.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

by food and cooking do you mean instructional programs or movies and TV about food and cooking like Tampopo and Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

For me, I always follow up my Horror channel with Food & Cooking as the theme for November.

Time for a Hannibal rewatch.