Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

LaFleur’s seat has to be getting at least mildly toasty by now, right?

I think Gb are the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the league with Love in his "prove you're an actual QB" year. I guess it depends on how well liked he is by the brass. If they think Loves the problem - he's fine for at least another year, if they think Love is hampered by LaFluer's offense or whatever, he's getting warm and quickly.

Everything I've heard about Love is in the lines of "looks like a, walks like a, talks like a, but isn't" and while he flashed his first two games - it kind of seems like by the time coaches got any kind of film on him they've been able to cause him fits. It made sense to roll for a year with the roster as young as it is but I think they really need to show that they're building to something. If they can get their runningbacks healthy and the defense comes together a little more toward the back end he might be fine.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

CapnAndy posted:

I would think so, but instead of an owner, the Packers have a CEO or president or whatever, and he’s contractually obligated to retire in 2025 when he turns 70, so they may just roll with the Gutekunst/LaFleur era until then and let the next guy clean house. :shrug:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Even if Murphy wasn't retiring, LaFleur doesn't go unless Gutekunst does.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

CapnAndy posted:

I feel like this whole year is kind of being treated as his "first" year because of no Rodgers, so I doubt he's going anywhere this year. Plus, if it's not, then you can point to a ridiculous winning percentage with Rodgers.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

Even if Murphy wasn't retiring, LaFleur doesn't go unless Gutekunst does.

I wouldn’t want LaFleur to be fired without Gutekunst also being fired, but it also wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they jettisoned LaFleur and kept Gutekunst around to hire a replacement HC and squander our highest first-round pick since we drafted AJ Hawk. :shepface:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I feel like LaFleur really should be on the hot seat, but he's got that same mediocre white dude sheen as someone like a Josh McDaniels, so he'll stick around for a while still.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BlindSite posted:

If ... the defense comes together a little more toward the back end he might be fine.
It wont, because MLF hired a friend as his DC and he refuses to fire him despite the defense underperforming for three years straight. Which is part of why MLF should be on the hot seat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Armitage posted:

I just can't help but feel Daboll's seat should be boiling hot right now. Two fourth and 1s, two field goal attempts that didn't even come close by a guy that's toast.

There is no chance Daboll is getting fired this season. Zero.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I wouldn’t want LaFleur to be fired without Gutekunst also being fired, but it also wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they jettisoned LaFleur and kept Gutekunst around to hire a replacement HC and squander our highest first-round pick since we drafted AJ Hawk. :shepface:

You'll get yet another Georgia defender and like it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nervous posted:

You'll get yet another Georgia defender and like it.

If they drafted like the Eagles that would be a solid strategy.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It wont, because MLF hired a friend as his DC and he refuses to fire him despite the defense underperforming for three years straight. Which is part of why MLF should be on the hot seat.

Hah, MiLF

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

That’s his brother, Mike LaFleur, currently Rams OC.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
So how long is McDaniels leash?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I think Mark Davis can't afford to fire him yet lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Febreeze posted:

he has to save all his money for that great haircut

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Febreeze posted:

The team is worth like 6 billion now that they're in Vegas. Triple the last time he was broke and handed Gruden 100mil

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The team is worth like 6 billion now that they're in Vegas. Triple the last time he was broke and handed Gruden 100mil

Handing Gruden 100 million over ten years before having to fire him shortly into that and then paying McDaniels 40 Million is exactly the problem

the team being worth 6 billion doesn't necessarily mean he has 6 billion liquid to just give to anyone

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 31, 2023

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

He's a billionaire with a money printing business, which means laughably low interest loans the plebs can't have. 10mil a year is still big money for an NFL coach. I can't believe a man in his position didn't have easy access to cash.

Well, maybe the Spanos family. Miniscule fan base that leases the stadium from the team they share a market with.

Edit: hell if can't afford a new coach how is he expecting to pay Maxx Crosby? A new rookie coach is like 8mil right now.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 31, 2023

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Edit: hell if can't afford a new coach how is he expecting to pay Maxx Crosby? A new rookie coach is like 8mil right now.

I hear a Brandon Staley can be had for 5mil.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Given a lot of the roster moves the Raiders have made (all Patriots all the time) tonight’s game did zero favors for Mcdaniels. Do really doubt he’ll be fired anytime soon though

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What's worse: having to pay Josh McDaniels, or having to pay him and having him coach your football team?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not saying LaFleur will (or even should) be fired (yet), but here's an interesting article looking at the future records of coaches who go through terrible losing seasons: "Keeping the Coach Never Works Out". Very relevant to this thread where we decide if coaches suffering through bad losing seasons should be fired!

quote:

To try to answer that question, I looked at the history of the National Football League to find examples of coaches who are in similar situations to LaFleur. What I found was that in the Super Bowl era, only 14 coaches had five wins or fewer in Year 5 or later of a coaching stint and were retained — without having won a Super Bowl in a previous season. These are LaFleur’s comparables, at the least the ones who survived the (immediate) chopping block.

Below are the coaches, listed in order of their subsequent win percentage after they were retained following a sub-six-win season:

• Jason Garrett: 40-24 (.625)
  • Dan Reeves: 20-12 (.625)
  • Marvin Lewis: 85-73-2 (.538)
  • Wayne Fontes: 34-30 (.531)
  • Jeff Fisher: 49-47 (.510)
  • Bart Starr: 26-29-2 (.482)
  • John McKay: 22-25 (.468)
  • Jack Del Rio: 18-25 (.419)
  • Sam Rutigliano: 10-14 (.417)
  • Dick Nolan: 11-17 (.393)
  • Mike Smith: 6-10 (.375)
  • Jack Patera: 6-12 (.333)
  • Dave Wannstedt: 4-12 (.250)
  • John Robinson: 3-13 (.188)
In total, only 5 of those 14 coaches had a winning record after they were kept. It’s worth noting here that the two most successful coaches in this group, Garrett and Reeves, had pretty interesting circumstances for being on this list.

Garrett went 4-12 in 2015, in between 12-4 and 13-3 seasons, because quarterback Tony Romo — who finished the season with a 3-1 record — battled through injuries. Without Romo in the lineup, the combination of Matt Cassell, Kellen Moore and Brandon Weeden under center went a combined 1-11.

Reeves hadn’t won the Super Bowl, but he got about as close as you could before going 5-11 in 1990. In the previous four seasons, Reeves’ Denver Broncos were named AFC Champions three times in four years. Reeves spent two seasons as the Broncos’ head coach before being replaced.

So if you exclude those two circumstances, the next best examples of coaches having this bad of a season this late into their coaching careers and bouncing back are Marvin Lewis, Wayne Fontes and Jeff Fisher. Woof.

Nov 6, 2002

They just needed more time!

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
So, Marv Lewis to the Packers?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They extended Crosby during the 2022 off season. He's a bargain at his current APY.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

SKULL.GIF posted:

Not saying LaFleur will (or even should) be fired (yet), but here's an interesting article looking at the future records of coaches who go through terrible losing seasons: "Keeping the Coach Never Works Out". Very relevant to this thread where we decide if coaches suffering through bad losing seasons should be fired!

So if you exclude the coaches who had radical QB changes (like the Packers) and the coaches who performed extremely well in previous seasons (like the Packers) then they're bad?? What a shocker

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s honestly funny people were going into the season expecting the Packers to be bad, because they were, and now are shocked they are bad

Nov 6, 2002

I liked how the NFL media world had already decided in June that yes indeed Love was definitely going to step up and the Packers wouldn't miss a beat from that schlub Rodgers while also maintaining that Rodgers instantly made the Jets an SB contender. Which is it?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s honestly funny people were going into the season expecting the Packers to be bad, because they were, and now are shocked they are bad

I think it's more that no one was expecting them to be this bad.

Like, they play Carolina on Christmas Eve and if things keep going the way they are, Carolina might be favored in that game

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

People thought the Packers would be bad, then they started 2-1 and Packers fans were smugging it up about finding a new HoF franchise QB and then they ate poo poo and every non-Pack fan is indeed loving it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I liked how the NFL media world had already decided in June that yes indeed Love was definitely going to step up and the Packers wouldn't miss a beat from that schlub Rodgers while also maintaining that Rodgers instantly made the Jets an SB contender. Which is it?

Eh

The Jets did okay last year (and are doing OK this year) with Zach, because of how stacked the rest of the roster is, it was/is fair and popular to assume you didn't need much of an improvement to get them over the hill into playoffs at least

Less certain was the idea that both the Packers and Rodgers would benefit from moving on from each other, but stuff like Andy Reid leaving Philly (and Dalton+Marvin leaving Cincy, although that was one-sided in Cincy's favor) has shown that sometimes you get as much mileage as you can out of a situation and at least one side, occasionally both, can benefit from a change of scenery. There was something to it, it just obviously didn't work out that way

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

People thought the Packers would be bad, then they started 2-1 and Packers fans were smugging it up about finding a new HoF franchise QB and then they ate poo poo and every non-Pack fan is indeed loving it.

And now the pendulum has swung and Love is unplayable after six games, such is being an NFL fan I suppose. You only remember what happens last

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shinji2015 posted:

I think it's more that no one was expecting them to be this bad.

Yep, we were expecting a rebuilding year where we'd see at least flashes of progress, not nearly the entire team looking lost and confused.

The Week 2 Falcons and Week 3 Saints games were more or less how I expected the season would be going.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chris James 2 posted:

Eh

The Jets did okay last year (and are doing OK this year) with Zach, because of how stacked the rest of the roster is, it was/is fair and popular to assume you didn't need much of an improvement to get them over the hill into playoffs at least

Less certain was the idea that both the Packers and Rodgers would benefit from moving on from each other, but stuff like Andy Reid leaving Philly (and Dalton+Marvin leaving Cincy, although that was one-sided in Cincy's favor) has shown that sometimes you get as much mileage as you can out of a situation and at least one side, occasionally both, can benefit from a change of scenery. There was something to it, it just obviously didn't work out that way

"OK" = losing the last 7 games of the year including having a team wide meltdown that forced them to bench him twice and then start the corpse of joe flacco for the last 2 games .

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mcmagic posted:

...having a team wide meltdown that forced them to bench him twice and ....

Speaking of which, it seems like the Jets roster has been much more amenable towards Zach this year compared to last year. What's different? Simply the prospect of having Rodgers back at some point?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

"OK" = losing the last 7 games of the year including having a team wide meltdown that forced them to bench him twice and then start the corpse of joe flacco for the last 2 games .

They were still what, like a win or two from making playoffs even with that?

Like I said, they didn't need significantly better, just competent QB play would have gotten them over the hump. Not having the worst starter in the league, and airbags for backups

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

SKULL.GIF posted:

Speaking of which, it seems like the Jets roster has been much more amenable towards Zach this year compared to last year. What's different? Simply the prospect of having Rodgers back at some point?

I have no idea what things are actually like behind the scenes obviously, but he just seems like much more of a grown up now than he was last year. I think he was struggling last year on a number of fronts and on top of that just didn't mesh well with the offensive staff, which led to a total loving meltdown on and off the field. This year he seems to like his coaches (even though they suck too) and having Rodgers around probably also motivates him to be more of a professional.

Also: they're winning right now. See if all of this holds up if they lose 2 or 3 in a row.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He is also a pampered HS and college QB and what? 23 yr old. Let he who was not a fuckin idiot in their early 20s cast the first pigskin.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think it's largely just lowered expectations. Last year he was a former first round pick, and expected to be the franchise quarterback. This year he's a guy one step away from the unemployment line and very clearly not anyone's first choice.

There's nothing to be gained by making GBS threads on him anymore as everybody already knows the score, so it's best to just get on with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://x.com/adamschefter/status/1719580362995884472?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

Bozos got launched into the sun