Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

he look like Moon Knight

poo poo he got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like thats what happened with me and regular show. i loved when it was two teenagers doing stupid poo poo and having wacky adventures, and then it turned into mordicais sad love life adventures.

Yeah, the melodrama stuff with Margaret and later CJ sucked, but the show later on did a soft reboot in season 8 that actually worked which dumped all the awful romance stuff. It actually managed to transition to a serial show with an ongoing plot fairly well too, but that's because it never forgot that it was a comedy show.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

my brain is still stuck in the early 2000s where a goon spent months trying to produce a Fiestacat plushie and ended up with this

goddamn, I never got my fiestadog plushie

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, the melodrama stuff with Margaret and later CJ sucked, but the show later on did a soft reboot in season 8 that actually worked which dumped all the awful romance stuff. It actually managed to transition to a serial show with an ongoing plot fairly well too, but that's because it never forgot that it was a comedy show.

Also benson is genuinely a good boss and I like that the show talks about that.

Ccs posted:

Hmm I'm confused about what doesn't land because I also rewatched all of Adventure Time and month or so ago and I liked it more as the lore deepened. Talking of season 6, Wake Up and Escape from the Citadel are incredible, Evergreen is really interesting, Gold Stars contains one of my favorite endings ever, and the comet stuff provides some cool forward momentum to the season. But along the way there are plenty of great self contained episodes like Jake the Brick and Graybles 1000+.

Maybe i just crave the continuity because its so rare in american cartoons, but I loved seeing the world get wider and more interconnected.

I need to watch that all someday.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh fun, the Digital Circus VAs subscribe to the Gianni school of philosophy.

https://twitter.com/alexrochonva/status/1719262178841133492

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

Oh fun, the Digital Circus VAs subscribe to the Gianni school of philosophy.

https://twitter.com/alexrochonva/status/1719262178841133492

ehh. i mean its all in good fun.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's a good thing Alex Rochon has Cain because I refuse to accept him as the voice of Spamton as long as jerma exists.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My niece came flailing into my DMs to tell me she had stumbled upon the Digital Circus pilot and was now obsessed. So there's that

I watched it just now and ... uh? I mean it was reasonably funny and well acted and everything, but the animation felt like something from 1997. In fact you know what I couldn't help but think it reminded me of,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcg43vczG08

THIS poo poo LOL

Also I felt like I had mistakenly clicked on a cropped version of the video or something because we never see anything about Pomni's "outer world" existence, just references to her putting on a weird headset, and the fact that the titles are in SNES/Mode 7 style pixel art, which in retrospect makes it more or less clear that it's a game that she is playing and got sucked into somehow, but we don't see any of that? Weird choice but ok, maybe that's what today's 15-year-old is into

But I'm being unkind I guess. I'm down for seeing where it goes, especially if I'll be hearing more about it

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Data Graham posted:

My niece came flailing into my DMs to tell me she had stumbled upon the Digital Circus pilot and was now obsessed. So there's that

I watched it just now and ... uh? I mean it was reasonably funny and well acted and everything, but the animation felt like something from 1997. In fact you know what I couldn't help but think it reminded me of,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcg43vczG08

THIS poo poo LOL

Also I felt like I had mistakenly clicked on a cropped version of the video or something because we never see anything about Pomni's "outer world" existence, just references to her putting on a weird headset, and the fact that the titles are in SNES/Mode 7 style pixel art, which in retrospect makes it more or less clear that it's a game that she is playing and got sucked into somehow, but we don't see any of that? Weird choice but ok, maybe that's what today's 15-year-old is into

But I'm being unkind I guess. I'm down for seeing where it goes, especially if I'll be hearing more about it

I haven't seen anything about the show you are talking about but the description and that other video make me think ReBoot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfCCX8bPALY

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
something about the premise of the Digital Circus is crack to kids and certain strains of online folks. It keeps getting bigger. Maybe I'm simply no longer with it

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Impermanent posted:

something about the premise of the Digital Circus is crack to kids and certain strains of online folks. It keeps getting bigger. Maybe I'm simply no longer with it

A western isekai which mixes elements of the backdoors and the trends started by FNAF, no wonder this is blowing up. I just watched the pilot and it was ok. Good thing this is now guaranteed at least a season so I can see where the story goes.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The degree to which it blew up is insane. it had 11 million views when i watched it from the link posted here and that was only days after it released.

I guess thats the algorithm at work, get 1% more clicks per viewing than other content and suddenly its on the recommends of every kid on the planet

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It probably helps that two of the bigger names involved, Gooseworx and Kevin Temmer, are both very established creators, who promoted it heavily.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 31, 2023

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Impermanent posted:

Maybe I'm simply no longer with it

this is me, I just didn't feel anything engaging in the first 15 minutes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Impermanent posted:

It inadvertently taps into alt of popular zoomer cultural poo poo. Vague horror/extinctional mixed with weird cartoony edgy but not too edgy humor. Weird characters and such. Possiblity for shipping. Etc. I liked it a bunch.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The degree to which it blew up is insane. it had 11 million views when i watched it from the link posted here and that was only days after it released.

I guess thats the algorithm at work, get 1% more clicks per viewing than other content and suddenly its on the recommends of every kid on the planet

Yeah also new helluva boss episode got 5 million in a day so it looks their is a lot of friendly cross over with both fanbases.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Create characters (or at least designs if your writing sucks) that the audience can project their own sense of pathos onto and you're golden.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MJeff posted:

It's a good thing Alex Rochon has Cain because I refuse to accept him as the voice of Spamton as long as jerma exists.

Eh, I prefer Rochon's Spamton, tbh. Between him, Jerma and Gianni, Alex is so far the only one I've found who's nailed that whole "desperate used car salesman on a suitcase full of cocaine" vibe that Spamton has.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ccs posted:

Hmm I'm confused about what doesn't land because I also rewatched all of Adventure Time and month or so ago and I liked it more as the lore deepened. Talking of season 6, Wake Up and Escape from the Citadel are incredible, Evergreen is really interesting, Gold Stars contains one of my favorite endings ever, and the comet stuff provides some cool forward momentum to the season. But along the way there are plenty of great self contained episodes like Jake the Brick and Graybles 1000+.

Maybe i just crave the continuity because its so rare in american cartoons, but I loved seeing the world get wider and more interconnected.

I feel the same, I really enjoyed them diving into stuff.
Learning about Ice King (as in specifically Evergreen) is easily one of my favourite things in any TV show

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm doing my periodic autumn re-watch of Over the Garden wall and I'd advise everyone else to do the same.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm doing my periodic autumn re-watch of Over the Garden wall and I'd advise everyone else to do the same.

Can we fund this as a PSA? It's very important.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Definitely did this last week! It's a classic worthy of passing down as a tradition, Rankin/Bass rudolph style.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, apparently they made some sequel comics to Over the Garden Wall a while back. Are they worth a read out of curiosity?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

that show just did not click for me and I cannot express why

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Soonmot posted:

that show just did not click for me and I cannot express why

It's one of those shows were you have to buy it's brand of humor right up front and within the first five minutes or it's just not gonna work for you at all. I think if comes down to whether or not you're on board with Gregory being a weird little non-sequitur dipshit who's operating perpendicularly to how every other character on the show, even the normal weird ones, are acting and if you can't get over that hurdle, then trying to enjoy the show is a lost cause. Because he's very much a late 00s cartoon humor "say random poo poo at random times, that's always funny!" type character.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think he's just a well observed child character. Spontaneous, ignorant of social graces, precocious, but basically well meaning and kind.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Greg is on the cusp of grating for me but he's just so dang earnest that it works.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
His weird little archaic flourishes won me over.
"Ain't that just the way." and "We're here to burgle your turts!" live in my brainspace.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1719448734055215109?t=UOiPde6d96L2eB5DrZweJw&s=19

Hey there's a sick new Blu-ray release of Cybersix, remastered visuals, commentary, pilot, the good poo poo

https://store.crunchyroll.com/products/cybersix-blu-ray-875707035224.html

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cybersix had great animation thanks to TMS/Telecom.

I also rewatched Over the Garden Wall recently. It's still great! There's an interview with the creator where he says "I’m not 100% in love with all of the writing in OtGW.... It sometimes got too jokey for my tastes" so it sounds like the amount of humor came partially from network notes, or that in retrospect he'd have preferred a slightly different tone. But part of the charm is also that it can veer so quickly between humor and horror.

Another aspect that I was reminded that I liked about the show is Wirt is interested in a girl who seems to also share his interests and seems to like him. I'm really tired of cartoons or shows in general where the guy is interested in a girl who is just attractive but not interested in the same stuff, or is super standoffish. It's something I also like about the new Superman show, where you can see why Lois and Clark like each other instead of her throwing verbal barbs at him all the time or just being someone for him to save.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I love that Wirt sets himself up to be some misunderstood social outcast and, just... everyone's always happy to see him and invites him over.
:qq: "I can't go to that party! I wasn't invited!"
:) "Oh. You should come!"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thought slime did a deep dive into this and the comics it was based on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DAN2VJKa_k

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Over the Garden Wall is definitely something special that everyone should try watching, and I'm not really sure of all the ways to express that. It's kinda arty, it's heavily historical influenced (both seemingly set in the 18th-19th century and harkening to older media), it's got interesting old-fashioned music, it's expressive, but also it's just plain weird and different. It's got Elijah Wood.

Maybe a couple episodes kinda feel like clunkers to me even if I understand what they were going for (Schooltown Follies and Babes in the Wood). The plot is kinda weird to figure out, although INARGUABLY everybody is satisfied with the ending. I don't really know what to make of Adelaide or Lorna. One of my favorite episodes isn't even part of the official 10 episode, it's just the pilot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-0vZeaIrFg. Maybe it was too unambiguously supernatural?

Das Boo posted:

I love that Wirt sets himself up to be some misunderstood social outcast and, just... everyone's always happy to see him and invites him over.
:qq: "I can't go to that party! I wasn't invited!"
:) "Oh. You should come!"

I feel like that's a very common mindset as a kid. It's easy to just feel uncomfortable and imagine that everybody else is so much better and more popular, but you personally are this weird unique person. From there it's easy to self-actualize and isolate yourself.

It's very clear that Wirt was the one making everything weird for himself, and I think seeing how loving weird everyone else in The Unknown was did him as much good for getting out of his head as becoming a big hero defeating The Beast.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I definitely could have learned some stuff from seeing Over the Garden Wall as a teenager. Instead it's just a very relatable example of self sabotage.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Agreed. Learning not to be terrified of how other people think of you (and realizing that they often aren't thinking of you at all) is hugely relatable! Wirt learned it earlier than I did.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It inadvertently taps into alt of popular zoomer cultural poo poo. Vague horror/extinctional mixed with weird cartoony edgy but not too edgy humor. Weird characters and such. Possiblity for shipping. Etc. I liked it a bunch.

"inadvertent" seems both uncharitable and too credulous. there's nothing inherently wrong with making something laser targeted to hazbin fans and zoomers who watch three hour long youtubes summarizing the lore for franchises they may or may not actually play/watch, which this pretty clearly is, and it executed on that really well if the online reaction is any indication.

anyways as a tv show the pilot was pretty bad. most of the gags were pretty obvious or telegraphed well in advance, and the pacing wasn't slow or weird enough to be deliberate or fast enough to be actually funny. i would say the nearest comparison for its overall energy would be, like, veggietales. tho at least everyone in veggietales had like, a mouth and comprehensible facial animation, which multiple characters lack here. i do think it's funny that jax's VA has like, what i would consider The White Guy Doing Anime Voice. i can't quite articulate it but he has a particular tone and accent that only exists when white dudes voice anime, and i guess youtube. anyways the clearest example of this is caine; basically none of his lines are even lightly amusing despite rochon doing an almost identical performance to the pretty good spamton videos because there's absolutely no crispness in the editing. also huge sound design issues which are definitely dragging down any potential comedy or dread but it's hard to fault a pilot like this for that since i assume it's mostly an animation project.

anyways it's gonna make five million dollars and survive forever so congrats to the creators.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Valentin posted:

"inadvertent" seems both uncharitable and too credulous. there's nothing inherently wrong with making something laser targeted to hazbin fans and zoomers who watch three hour long youtubes summarizing the lore for franchises they may or may not actually play/watch, which this pretty clearly is, and it executed on that really well if the online reaction is any indication.

anyways as a tv show the pilot was pretty bad. most of the gags were pretty obvious or telegraphed well in advance, and the pacing wasn't slow or weird enough to be deliberate or fast enough to be actually funny. i would say the nearest comparison for its overall energy would be, like, veggietales. tho at least everyone in veggietales had like, a mouth and comprehensible facial animation, which multiple characters lack here. i do think it's funny that jax's VA has like, what i would consider The White Guy Doing Anime Voice. i can't quite articulate it but he has a particular tone and accent that only exists when white dudes voice anime, and i guess youtube. anyways the clearest example of this is caine; basically none of his lines are even lightly amusing despite rochon doing an almost identical performance to the pretty good spamton videos because there's absolutely no crispness in the editing. also huge sound design issues which are definitely dragging down any potential comedy or dread but it's hard to fault a pilot like this for that since i assume it's mostly an animation project.

anyways it's gonna make five million dollars and survive forever so congrats to the creators.

I agree with the points brought up here, but oddly Jax's lines are the ones that came the closest to actually landing because the actor was able to put in some kind of pacing and cadence to his lines whereas everyone else's line reads got murdered by the editing/pacing and sound design issues.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I think he's the same voice actor as Angel Dust in the Hazbin Hotel pilot as well as Rocky in the Lackadaisy pilot, and there's someone else he voiced in a recent project about robots that also blew up but I can't remember what.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Murder Drones? It's quite the age for animation projects clearly by and for the tumblr diaspora these days.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jax’s performance is apparently based on Raggedy Andy

https://youtu.be/QaLGvEUsdzE?si=Nm3fg2zMAtGK95ys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I agree with the points brought up here, but oddly Jax's lines are the ones that came the closest to actually landing because the actor was able to put in some kind of pacing and cadence to his lines whereas everyone else's line reads got murdered by the editing/pacing and sound design issues.

I think Jax and pomni are probably the only really funny parts least in the pilot. The voice actor knows the character is and wears him well. With pomni, I am a sucker for the well meaning and beat up neurotic character who gets thrown into all sorts of lovely situations. It’s why I like moxxie.

Valentin posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I am not making GBS threads on it, it’s more like one of those shows that has enough they’re mixed with just right time and etc so it’s lightning in a bottle and blows up the Internet for a year or so and then has a giant fan base, like the vivzipop stuff, fnaf, loving mlp, etc. all had enough special sauce that blew up hype.

Oxxidation posted:

Jax’s performance is apparently based on Raggedy Andy

https://youtu.be/QaLGvEUsdzE?si=Nm3fg2zMAtGK95ys

Yeah I see it. It also helped that it’s very much PG 13 version of the actors OTHER famous cartoon role. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0gExQjAA7o