Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DrBox posted:

Well time to throw out those studies that hinted same-sex parent households lead to better childhood outcomes.
You don't discard all the research because of an outlier. Come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm not seeing a lot of condemnation of indigenous attacks on the occupying force here...

Try here

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

PT6A posted:

You made a serious and disgusting accusation against me based on an inference you made of your own free will, which is that my statement that Hamas does not need to be explicitly condemned prior to discussing Israeli crimes against humanity means that I, in any sense, excuse or justify their actions. This was not a reasonable inference, and in spite of that, I have made my position very explicit so there can be no possible misunderstanding. I would have you apologize and retract that accusation, or this issue is not over, and it will be discussed here, because you accused me here.

I apologize for interpreting your writing differently than you intended it. I accept your statement that you do condemn Hamas's actions and stated goals, and that you agree that any stated goals, or actions, by any party that endorse genocide are unjustifiable. I agree with what I believe you're saying, which is that Israel has more ability to affect the civilians of Palestine by cutting off infrastructure than Palestinian fighters have to affect the civilians of Israel is a whole via raids and attacks, and I agree that it's a very disturbing escalation. Please, correct me if I'm still misunderstanding you.

Honestly, this whole situation is bringing me back to the 80s, when 'nukes flying over the Negev' seemed just as plausible as 'T-80s streaming through the Fulda Gap' as the kick off of World War 3.

And I do appreciate you clarifying what you meant, and engaging. Thank you for helping me understand your position.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TheCenturion posted:

I apologize for interpreting your writing differently than you intended it. I accept your statement that you do condemn Hamas's actions and stated goals, and that you agree that any stated goals, or actions, by any party that endorse genocide are unjustifiable. I agree with what I believe you're saying, which is that Israel has more ability to affect the civilians of Palestine by cutting off infrastructure than Palestinian fighters have to affect the civilians of Israel is a whole via raids and attacks, and I agree that it's a very disturbing escalation. Please, correct me if I'm still misunderstanding you.

Honestly, this whole situation is bringing me back to the 80s, when 'nukes flying over the Negev' seemed just as plausible as 'T-80s streaming through the Fulda Gap' as the kick off of World War 3.

And I do appreciate you clarifying what you meant, and engaging. Thank you for helping me understand your position.

No problem, we seem to be on the same page and I accept your apology. I appreciate you taking the time to understand my position.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Are you sure we can't just do another three pages of wilful misunderstandings and circular arguments about something that is at best very tangentially related to Canada and Canadian politics?

This thread is at its finest when it's a bunch of frothing rage and righteous anger over international affairs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm unclear on what material aid Canada is actually providing to Israel, both recently and in the last two decades with Harper and co. Pretty much the only thing I found with half-assed searching is this Jacobin article. Other than that, Canada is supposed to be matching donations to the Gaza Humanitarian Emergency Appeal, which if the former article is to believed is a drop in the bucket compares to funds given for counterproductive security assistance* but Better Than Nothing (the Liberal motto).

* I'm not going to summarize the Jacobin article because I'm not really familiar with the content, but it's worth reading. I was under the impression that Liberals were trying to play it both ways by keeping the pro-Israel rhetoric, just tempered from Harper's pro-zionist stance, but that seems to be oversimplified.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

infernal machines posted:

Are you sure we can't just do another three pages of wilful misunderstandings and circular arguments about something that is at best very tangentially related to Canada and Canadian politics?

This thread is at its finest when it's a bunch of frothing rage and righteous anger over international affairs.

You're right, let's get back to middle-class white people complaining about having to spend money (that they have) on things for their houses (that they own)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bleck posted:

You're right, let's get back to middle-class white people complaining about having to spend money (that they have) on things for their houses (that they own)

Okay, how about favourite menu items at The Keg?

Don't get me wrong, it's hilarious that Canadian politics are barely relevant in their own dedicated thread, and basically only in the context of our relationships with other nations.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 31, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Very angry, in a forum called Debate & Discussion, when we debate and discuss.

Like, I think this went well. It got a bit heated, but in true Canadian, polite fashion there were a bunch of apologies and now we all understand each other better. Why get pissed off about that?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Because the entire discussion was about the number of words that should be spent to appropriately condemn Hamas as a preface to bold statements like "genocide is bad", a discussion which seems uniquely suited to threads that are not about Canadian politics, at least outside of something like the Ontario NDP self destructing over a rogue MPP.

In any case, you all seem to be enjoying yourselves, so I'm out of order on this one.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Don't get me wrong, it's hilarious that Canadian politics are barely relevant in their own dedicated thread

I think it's that Canadian politics are fairly stale - it takes Dougie or PeePee or whatever other soulless mayo golem a long time to wriggle out of whatever jam they've found themselves in this time.

It's like watching paint dry. Or perhaps more aptly, it's like watching a spider molt.

the Ontario NDP self destructing over a rogue MPP.

Worth noting that this particular thing probably has at least a few people - definitely yours truly - actively considering switching from "votes but laments that it doesn't seem to accomplish much" to "actively not voting."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bleck posted:

Worth noting that this particular thing probably has at least a few people - definitely yours truly - actively considering switching from "votes but laments that it doesn't seem to accomplish much" to "actively not voting."

Given who my MPP is, I'm pretty much with you on this.

There are a number of fairly slow motion domestic crises unfolding all of which can arguably be pinned on the Liberals for ignoring, mismanaging, or outright exacerbating, but I guess there's not much discussion to be had since none of our political parties have the wherewithal to capitalize on that, or at least propose anything different.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If what our government does isn't our business, isn't to be discussed in the thread, then what is this thread for?

We're not an isolated country, and part of multiculturalism is indeed having to reckon with our place in the world, whether it's Eritrea or I/P or indeed our relationship with the US. It's a gently caress sight more interesting than hearing how expensive houses are in Toronto and Vancouver again. Though, don't get me wrong, that's an incredibly fascinating and relevant topic at all times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know a person who years ago had a scary run-in with a homeless person downtown. An aggressive panhandler followed her to her car and then jumped on her cars hood and started pounding on her window demanding money. It turned her into a super "tough on crime" homeless hater. Any time the city would do ANYTHING to help homeless people she'd pipe up and say something like "I can't believe the city is throwing all this money at those people without acknowledging the crimes they commit" or "wow, a whole press release about a new shelter without even a single sentence about the horrible violence homeless people commit" If anyone ever spoke about the horrible abuse and violence a lot of homeless people are subjected to she'd again always pipe up with something like "Oh so you support the violence homeless people commit on the rest of us?? Why do you only care about THEM?" She basically could not hear anyone talking about any issue related to homeless people without demanding everyone involve stop and essentially "condemn the crimes and violence committed by homeless people" and would construe anyone not doing this as thus defacto supporting all crimes committed by homeless people and being anti-victim.

A lot of I/P discussions remind me of this lady. She's truly the median canadian voter.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Okay, how about favourite menu items at The Keg?

I got a $100 Keg gift card at work and I threw it in my sisters christmas card. Turns out they never activated it at checkout I guess?? and she found out the hard way lol

That's the closest I've ever been to stepping into a Keg

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I know a person who years ago had a scary run-in with a homeless person downtown. An aggressive panhandler followed her to her car and then jumped on her cars hood and started pounding on her window demanding money. It turned her into a super "tough on crime" homeless hater. Any time the city would do ANYTHING to help homeless people she'd pipe up and say something like "I can't believe the city is throwing all this money at those people without acknowledging the crimes they commit" or "wow, a whole press release about a new shelter without even a single sentence about the horrible violence homeless people commit" If anyone ever spoke about the horrible abuse and violence a lot of homeless people are subjected to she'd again always pipe up with something like "Oh so you support the violence homeless people commit on the rest of us?? Why do you only care about THEM?" She basically could not hear anyone talking about any issue related to homeless people without demanding everyone involve stop and essentially "condemn the crimes and violence committed by homeless people" and would construe anyone not doing this as thus defacto supporting all crimes committed by homeless people and being anti-victim.

A lot of I/P discussions remind me of this lady. She's truly the median canadian voter.

Clearly the best way to curb violent crime committed by homeless people is to make sure they remain in situations wherein violence is a common and normal occurrence in their lives.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bleck posted:

True. Let us unite over the most relatable thing: six figgie computer touchers talking about their private property

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Willatron posted:

Clearly the best way to curb violent crime committed by homeless people is to make sure they remain in situations wherein violence is a common and normal occurrence in their lives.

Her solution was that we need concealed carry rights in Canada, specially for women who need guns as an equalizer. And of course full right to blast any scary homeless person who looks at you wrong. If you don't agree you support violence against women.

She still considered herself a progressive liberal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Her solution was that we need concealed carry rights in Canada, specially for women who need guns as an equalizer. And of course full right to blast any scary homeless person who looks at you wrong. If you don't agree you support violence against women.

I mean, if you're already okay with killing someone, you're in your car. Just start driving! Why you need a gun for?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Christ the streets of downtown Winnipeg would run red with blood. People act like they've been assaulted if someone asks them for change as it is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

I mean, if you're already okay with killing someone, you're in your car. Just start driving! Why you need a gun for?

Well, you don't want to damage your paint job.

Willatron posted:

We are doing this, with gusto.

People seem to forget that we do in fact live in a society, and just shoving these folks out of the public eye isn't solving anything.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
https://www.reuters.com/world/canada-says-time-is-running-out-humanitarian-pause-gaza-2023-10-30/

Well it seems like we're back-pedalling from our stance at the UN Security Council and calling for a "Humanitarian Pause" (since the Americans have decided ceasefire is not a word we can use).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

"Humanitarian Pause"

This is a new low for euphemistic language

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I thought we already paused our humanity, sounds like we’re actually looking for a resumption?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Went in for blood tests and they're like, "Did you fast?" and I'm like "No? Was I supposed to?" , and they're like it says so right here. *Points to French instructions that I can't read that I thought said "yellow", like testing for Yellow Blood Cells or something.* But when I was there the last time they only said not to eat sugar for today's blood tests. Luckily I intermittently fast anyways so by accident the answer was yes but to me it isn't fasting its just what I do.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There are a number of fairly slow motion domestic crises unfolding all of which can arguably be pinned on the Liberals for ignoring, mismanaging, or outright exacerbating,

Don't worry, PP and the Cons will solve all of them by lowering your taxes.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The ethnic cleansing will return during NFL playoffs when everyone is distracted

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

McGavin posted:

Don't worry, PP and the Cons will solve all of them by lowering your taxes.

That's what worries me

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bleck posted:

money (that they have)

houses (that they own)

Excuse me, but this is Canada. There's none of that going on here. It's all about money (that they've borrowed) and houses (that they won't own until 2070).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/david_moscrop/status/1719415037289271512?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Spanked by the BoC; pathetic

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Raenir Salazar posted:

Went in for blood tests and they're like, "Did you fast?" and I'm like "No? Was I supposed to?" , and they're like it says so right here. *Points to French instructions that I can't read that I thought said "yellow", like testing for Yellow Blood Cells or something.* But when I was there the last time they only said not to eat sugar for today's blood tests. Luckily I intermittently fast anyways so by accident the answer was yes but to me it isn't fasting its just what I do.

It's also where the "jeuner" in "déjeuner" comes from :eng101:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Glimpse posted:

I thought we already paused our humanity, sounds like we’re actually looking for a resumption?

I think it's a new Dark Souls mechanic. Like you wear a ring and you don't lose souls but can't gain any either.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

The "Food Professor" is a grade-a (pun intended) loser and has bad takes on lots of stuff.

Re: voting chat, I'm going to continue to vote NDP at all levels cause there is (in my riding of LFK) no better choice, but I think I'll try a bit harder next election cycle to worm my way into the local riding association and shake things up.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mad Hamish posted:

Do you think anyone has ever dressed up as Slutty Jordan Peterson for Halloween?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
We must demand a humanitarian pause to this special genocide self-defensive operation

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MNIMWA posted:

The "Food Professor" is a grade-a (pun intended) loser and has bad takes on lots of stuff.
I just scrolled through his timeline and he's been posting non-stop since that BoC reply explaining how he wasn't owned and it was the BoC that was in fact owned.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

DaysBefore posted:

True. Let us unite over the most relatable thing: six figgie computer touchers talking about their private property

Hey, speak for yourself. Some of us are five figures-earning tradespeople who take an unnatural amount of pride in having a laminated card with a red seal on it. We also have blisteringly hot takes on private property oddly enough.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

I just scrolled through his timeline and he's been posting non-stop since that BoC reply explaining how he wasn't owned and it was the BoC that was in fact owned.

It does make sense that the “Food Professor” would actually be a corncob.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I’m a zero figgy computer toucher. It’s been a rough year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Rejoining the ranks of the unemployed today, looking forward to seeing how long it takes HR to process my ROE so I can get permission to apply for EI