Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's a lot to like about Villeneuve's Dune, but spending millions of dollars to make everything look like a level from Mass Effect 1 isn't one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nothus posted:

Seriously, the reason why people like it is that it throws in more references for book-readers than the Lynch film.

That seems unlikely to me. I doubt that even a majority of people who saw the movie had read the book beforehand

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Sicario looks cool as hell and seems mostly good until you see Sicario 2 and read interviews about it. Maybe the only movie actually ruined by the sequel. Although it looks like Villeneuve wasn't around for 2 so maybe he was the one saving grace.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Gripweed posted:

That seems unlikely to me. I doubt that even a majority of people who saw the movie had read the book beforehand

i read the book right before the movie came out (coincidentally, i didnt even know there was a dune movie coming out until the cover on audable changed into timothee chalamet's face and he's correct. its a relatively faithful adaptation esp by comparison to lynch

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’ve not read the books but i understand the reason the series is so loved is becuse the later novels are off the wall insane fun?

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Sicario looks cool as hell and seems mostly good until you see Sicario 2 and read interviews about it. Maybe the only movie actually ruined by the sequel. Although it looks like Villeneuve wasn't around for 2 so maybe he was the one saving grace.

the first sicario wasn't all that great either, it mostly revolves around emily blunt's character being really lovely at her job

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

Villeneuve is fascinating because he has almost an even split of bad films and good films but no one can ever agree which are which, probably because even the bad ones look really cool

(Prisoners, Sicario and Bladerunner 2049 are the bad ones and Enemy, Arrival, Dune are the good ones)

The good ones are Bladerunner 2049, Arrival, and Dune and I ain't seen the other 3.

Hmmm, maybe I should watch the other 3.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

i’ve not read the books but i understand the reason the series is so loved is becuse the later novels are off the wall insane fun?

naw anyone who has read Dune has probably only ever read the first one. It is a pretty good book. they do get increasingly whackier but it's an increasingly sharp drop-off in readership.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i watched arrival a couple of weeks ago and it is one of the dumbest movies ive ever seen

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

they go off the walls after the 2nd book

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the linguistics in arrival work off of the same principle as an american tourist speaking english to a local, then shouting it louder to make them understand

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Al! posted:

i read the book right before the movie came out (coincidentally, i didnt even know there was a dune movie coming out until the cover on audable changed into timothee chalamet's face and he's correct. its a relatively faithful adaptation esp by comparison to lynch

He didn't say it's a more accurate adaptation. What he said was

Nothus posted:

Seriously, the reason why people like it is that it throws in more references for book-readers than the Lynch film.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dune is a fun sci fi series, if you have the chance you should read the first book

its not really a hard read but its kind of long

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Gripweed posted:

He didn't say it's a more accurate adaptation. What he said was

i dont know what distinction youre trying to establish here and i dont care

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nothus posted:

Seriously, the reason why people like it is that it throws in more references for book-readers than the Lynch film. The awful 2000's era SciFi adaptation is better.

I've never read the book and had only the unwatchable Lynch version to compare it to but it was a raucous good time, given how big a fan he is of having a bunch of plots that don't really mesh together together I was surprised by how clean it was when he just did 'what if star wars but torture, genocide and lies'

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Sicario is the biggest example of 'this looks really cool but is totally incoherent'

Turning it into Mission Impossible: Mexico or whatever they're trying to do now is the right call because leaning into the cartoon action movie is the only way to make sense of it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Jel Shaker posted:

The first three novels are good. The next three are less so, but they do get more insane. Skip everything his failson had a hand in.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the wheel of time adaption is also really bad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the video game????

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That we can agree on lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Al! posted:

i dont know what distinction youre trying to establish here and i dont care

"The movie is an accurate adaptation"
and
"People liked the movie because it was an accurate adaptation"

seem like pretty obviously distinct and different statements? To me at least, I dunno, if you're having trouble maybe try reading them again?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

well the guys obviously wrong. dune ftw imo

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Al! posted:

dune ftw imo

I'm going to nitpick it up like a big nerd, but I can't complain too much when someone blows millions of dollars on one of my favorite scifi franchises

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

insane clown pussy posted:

the first sicario wasn't all that great either, it mostly revolves around emily blunt's character being really lovely at her job

It goes on the pile of something that seemed intentional but maybe wasn't. Like, it seems like a clever thing that they got a generic gung-ho cop who's too dumb to pick up on what's going on. And as soon as the other agent steps in he points out that obviously she's just there to let the CIA do hosed up CIA poo poo, but it's too late. But, eh.

I feel like the first one made sense overall. Bleak thing about a cop buying into the tough guy rhetoric and wanting to take down the cartels only to find out that, lol, nah we just want a pick a guy and have him win. But then 2's just a loving mess, I don't think it even works as a Dad movie.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If you want to watch good sci Fi check out pantheon (2022)

(These posts will continue until I see you fuckers in the tviv thread so more people will talk about Pantheon (2022) with me)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nothus posted:

I'm going to nitpick it up like a big nerd, but I can't complain too much when someone blows millions of dollars on one of my favorite scifi franchises

It's so loving bad but I'm just happy we got Dune memes. The problem with every Dune movie is that the most filmable stuff is boring and the best parts of the book are insanely unfilmable. Also everyone involved with Dune adaptations are cowards for not even trying after book 2. Supposedly Villeneuve eventually will but you know he won't.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I like arrival

yeah the china stuff was awful but it’s american cinema of course it’s going to be awful

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's about as good as I expected it to be, and about as good as it deserves

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I liked the Radio War Nerd take on the new Dune: why go through the trouble of making this huge production if you're going to create something so bland and sterile? The Lynch version is just OUT THERE and is more concerned with telling a wild tale than sticking to the source material. the super soldier battle ritual was really cool tho. I listened to the audiobook version before watching the new movie and I think that was much better

Centrist Committee posted:

I like arrival

yeah the china stuff was awful but it’s american cinema of course it’s going to be awful

yeah, it's a good enough movie. whenever I see that kind of stuff I just register it as projection and move on

Fleetwood has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Nov 1, 2023

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's so loving bad but I'm just happy we got Dune memes. The problem with every Dune movie is that the most filmable stuff is boring and the best parts of the book are insanely unfilmable. Also everyone involved with Dune adaptations are cowards for not even trying after book 2. Supposedly Villeneuve eventually will but you know he won't.

100%

Someday, someone will try to make a movie out of God Emperor

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

more like poop culture

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
if you thought Arrival was a bad movie because China and was "the bad guy" you're a politics poisoned weirdo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Scionix posted:

if you thought Arrival was a bad movie because China and was "the bad guy" you're a politics poisoned weirdo

just regular, innocuous xenophobia

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

i say swears online posted:

just regular, innocuous xenophobia

oh yeah for sure man

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Scionix posted:

Syq

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Scionix posted:

it's actually bad because it's 90% dialogue and that dialogue is dumb as poo poo. i think the time to "well THAT just happened" was 15 minutes?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Majorian posted:

I boycotted it because I thought Jared Leto sucks and wouldn't you know it, I was right.

(I'll probably see it when I have three hours to burn)

Fun fact: that part was originally made for David Bowie. Not sure why they went so out of the way to miscast it later

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

arrival was very forgettable. now if you want a good movie from 2016, try The Handmaiden by Park Chan-wook

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Whirling posted:

arrival was very forgettable. now if you want a good movie from 2016, try The Handmaiden by Park Chan-wook

You mean The Nice Guys

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Scionix posted:

it was a bad movie for a lot of other reasons too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i say swears online posted:

it's about as good as I expected it to be, and about as good as it deserves

i'm generally pretty positive about trash because my expectations are so low and there are few good bits but overall it's like just a step above hercules and xena.

check out the book barn thread for goons jizzing over an evil wizard walking through town shooting fireballs at the scenery with all the cinematography of a 2D 80's jrpg