Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Alternately, marry into the Khan's family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

broke: stab frenzy
woke: submit and chill
bespoke: submit and stab your way into ruling as the khan of the empire you were trying to build anyways

:hmmyes:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Part 19 — Genghis Khan — 1215 to 1300

The years of unrest, famine, disease left Taurica teetering the straits between glory and ruin. The empire was still young and formidable, but after a succession of short-lived and weak-willed kings, it needed someone exceptional to weather the Century of Calamity…

Buzan.

He was a scholar, a poet, a patron of the arts. He enjoyed studying other languages and cultures, and could often be found with his nose buried in old scrolls and books, or with a pen in hand and verse in mind. Not a violent man, not by any means.

Unfortunately for him and Taurica, however, these were violent times.

A new breed of savage had emerged from the impenetrable East, where they had been united under one called Temujin, whose title of ‘Genghis Khan’ fostered aspirations of universal rule.

Mongols.

Towards this end he had already subjugated the surrounding countries of Pakacandre, then Oxiana, then Parthia and Sogdia and Vakaria, sacking and slaughtering all the while.

And in the year 1215, he turned his unbridled might against the largest of his steppe rivals — Taurica.

Buzan was no fool, of course. He had been preparing for just this eventuality, and when Temujin finally launched his long-expected invasion, Taurica was ready.

He departed his capital at Philosiris, and when he reached the mustering grounds near the plains of Aral, all of the strength of his empire was already gathered. 10,000 infantry and 30,000 light cavalry, supported by skirmishers and a small number of firearm knights and war elephants, and reinforced by another 20,000 mercenaries drawn from eastern Europa and central Asia.

Tauricans, Goths, Hunns, Arabs, Turks, Parthians, Greeks, Phoenicians, Bolghars, Galatians, Sogdians, and more — they all marched in Buzan’s multinational army, a confusion of tongues that was starkly contrasted against the Mongol armies of Temujin.

Buzan threw them into the offensive, succeeding in catching Temujin off-guard and pinning half his army. There, in the wilds of the steppe, on that no man’s land between their realms, they clashed in furious battle, and after a day and a half of fighting, duels and death aplenty, charges and counter-charges, flankings and forays and failed envelopments, and a last stand with the setting of the sun…

…it was Buzan who emerged victorious.

The emperor Buzan, and the empire of Taurica.

It was not in the nature of this Temujin to concede defeat so easily, however. Despite suffering such a crushing defeat, the Great Khan was not destroyed, and before long he would return — first in 1218, where another series of offensives and counter-offensives culminated in a crushing defeat at Jiran Suat.

And again in 1221, a frankly foolish invasion through the forested wastelands of Siberia that was crushed in a fortnight —

But even that wasn’t enough. Still smarting in his distant capital of Karakorum, the so-called ‘Great Khan’ was in the midst of planning a third invasion of Taurica when he unexpectedly perished — not in battle, as he so desired and deserved, but to the buboes of the Black Death, in another outbreak that claimed him and half his family.

That was the death knell to the nascent Mongol empire, and within a decade it had crumbled and disintegrated, resigning the name of Temujin to the cramped margins of history.

Of course, there was drama aplenty that followed — schemes and plots, murders and executions, civil wars and infighting. Buzan steered clear of it all, returning to his precious books in Philosiris… but imagine his surprise when, a few short years after his great victory, a granddaughter of Temujin (through his son Chagatai) appeared before the gates of his capital, begging for protection from her uncle, the cruel and unrelenting khan Jochi.

Buzan was savvy enough to see the opportunity in this. Not only did he admit the refugee princess, but he lavished gifts and riches on her, and within a few months he and Orbei were wed in a grand ceremony.

That was all the justification Buzan needed, as the new queen of the Taurican empire encouraged her husband to dispatch his armies eastward, eastward and ever eastward, into the lush valleys of Amu Darya and Syr Darya, through the rugged mountain passes of Tian Shan, across the freezing deserts of Gobi.

The armies of Buzan razed and ravaged it all, seizing field and village and fort…

…until, in the year 1248, they marched into Karakorum with their king at their head and his queen at his side.

There, with his extended family at his side, and surrounded by warriors and soldiers, and in front of his many vassals old and new, Buzan — son-in-law to Temujin, great-grandson of Philosir, great-great-great grandson of Olorix — proclaimed himself Genghis Khan, Khan of Khans, Scourge of God and all the rest.

And so a new age begins.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 10, 2023

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

So turns out the mongols were a bit of a paper tiger…

Anyways, it’s been a while! I’m back in the mood for some paradox games though, and eager to wrap up the CK3 section of this mega campaign in a couple more updates — and after that, on to EU4!

:siren:Vote:siren:

Buzan has united the enormity of the steppe and usurped the mantle of ‘Genghis Khan’, thus claiming universal rule over the whole of the world. The empire he has built has never been larger, never been stronger… but where does he unleash the hordes of warriors now gathering around him?

A — to the west, into Europa — we continue playing as The Khan of Khans, seeking to unite the entirety of Europa under our banner…

B — to the east, into the unknown world — we will no longer play as The Khan of Khans, continuing with the story of a second son seeking his fortunes in India; the outcome of the eastern invasions will be decided in a vote prior to EU4…

C — to the south, into Persia — we continue playing as The Khan of Khans, seeking to unite Persia and the regions beyond under our banner…

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B, let us head to the east.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
A

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

B

who's ready for the mughals like 400 years too early

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

B

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 1, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

B, I've never played in India.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 31, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
A, lets get right up to the western world's doorstep as Genghis is about to drop dead!

Toningly
Sep 28, 2006
A
Buzan has been chosen by God to teach the warring barbarians the truth of Filosiric Judaism.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Let's Beat up China!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C Mene, Mene, Tekel, Persians.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

whelp, definitely wasnt expecting that.

B sounds fine

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
B

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
B

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
B Onwards!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

B

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

B

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
A - Air Oppa

The Greatest of Khans shall reach the shores of his ancestors

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
C

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

B. Playing as the mongols sounds more fun than it usually ends up being.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
B

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

B

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
B And Buzan wept, for he had not yet conquered one world...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
B

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

B

The Khan has already achieved such lofty heights, let us turn our consul to another.

Also I want to see if we can go give Christo-Buddhism a helping hand, they're fun guys.

Glad to have this back!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
My heart says A, to turn those Huns and Scythians into yet another jewel in our crown and properly unite the steppes under our banner.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Caught up with this and when the Mongols turned up after the Plague decimated everything I fully expected the worst.

But then Buzan just went "no i am the khan now" amazing

A is super tempting to keep the pain train rolling but I'm voting B, lets go India

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
B, we need resistance in order for this to be a greater victory

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
B, let's see how this goes

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Though it seems hopeless, I am voting A because we need to sack Carthage one last time.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
B

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
B please, that sounds amazing!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

looks like B has it in the bag - mughals here we come

ZiegeDame posted:

Though it seems hopeless, I am voting A because we need to sack Carthage one last time.

have they not suffered enough :(

Kyyrewyyoae
Jul 20, 2007

Vae debilibus!
A

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

C

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

hashashash posted:

looks like B has it in the bag - mughals here we come

have they not suffered enough :(

It is a tradition of great rulers to prove their might by sacking a great Carthage. Lord knows there are enough of them around. I suppose we can compromise by declaring Shanghai the Carthage of the Far East, and then sacking it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
All the world's a Carthage, and all the men and women merely sackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

tbf there's the OG Carthage, New Carthage in Brittany, Eternal Carthage on the Albe where Black Rome once stood, a New New Carthage in revived Tyre... I'm sure we'll end up with a couple extra Carthages to found and then sack in the Far East