Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Esme posted:

Would have been nice if the npc quests had more effect on who does and doesn’t like you. If doing Latenna’s quest made the albinauric archers passive, for example. They kind of went there with the Dectus lift golems being passive when you have the whole medallion but didn’t take the idea any farther.

This goes back to me still being pissed areas don’t adjust after major changes or boss removal. Finishing Nephili’s questline should pacify Stormveil (and IMO then open up (a) new area(s) within that were blocked artificially by geometry/walls/closed doors/etc.), killing Radahn should change up Caelid if not just Redmane Castle. They can clearly do environmental changes vis-vis killing Radahn and also killing Maliketh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

This goes back to me still being pissed areas don’t adjust after major changes or boss removal. Finishing Nephili’s questline should pacify Stormveil (and IMO then open up (a) new area(s) within that were blocked artificially by geometry/walls/closed doors/etc.), killing Radahn should change up Caelid if not just Redmane Castle. They can clearly do environmental changes vis-vis killing Radahn and also killing Maliketh.

They've never done anything like Eleum Lloyce again I don't think.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
They at least should have done something/anything with Radahn's boss arena. Shoving a catacomb at the end of the beach means galloping across it and there's just nothing there. Put in a rot crab. Or perhaps a rot lobster.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

War Wizard posted:

Put in a rot crab. Or perhaps a rot lobster.

That's my favorite B-52s song

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is the Fextralife "Game Progress Route" good enough to avoid missing quest stuff? It's annoying to check every NPC individually when there are dependencies.

Epic High Five posted:

You're so early that all of that is irrelevant. You can get the starting spells from Corhyn in roundtable, they're cheap. Same with the finger seal to cast from the twin maidens and you'll find a bunch just exploring in Limgrave.

Really you can just go hard into strength and race to where your buddy is, then respec, or don't. The nice thing about str is that if you're two-handing you get a free 50% so it lends itself well to builds with two damage stats. I'd recommend 15 faith for now which gets you 80% of the good stuff like FCM, FGMS, bloodflame blade, heal, Discus of Light if you can find 3 int somewhere, the good beast spells, and the dragon spells which are all "trade my entire FP bar for a boatload of damage in my choice of any element in the game and also rot."

25 Faith gets you all that and Golden Vow and a lot more offensive spells to tinker with like all the good Frenzy spells such as the AOE and sniper rifle spell, the buff to essentially nullify lightning and magic damage, and lightning spear which is fast and enemy AI ignores it if it's uncharged

27 gets you the crucible spells which rule, the fun fire spells which are super late game alas, and gets you the spell to essentially nullify holy damage. Unless you're planning on slinging spells for serious damage, this is as high as you really need to go. If you do 54 strength as well you can two-hand weapons to reach the 80 strength soft cap, it's a good balance. If you do this and are using the beast seal that scales with strength you'll even still be able to do respectable spell damage

If you go all the way, my 80 faith playthrough was the most powerful character I've made in 9 playthroughs by an order of magnitude, and also the most fun. It's also really really good for co-op

Quoting this for the faith stuff, thanks, I was thinking about trying a paladin. Good weapon suggestions for that?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Is the Fextralife "Game Progress Route" good enough to avoid missing quest stuff? It's annoying to check every NPC individually when there are dependencies.

Quoting this for the faith stuff, thanks, I was thinking about trying a paladin. Good weapon suggestions for that?

Theres a ton of options, but starting out especially just grab the sacred blade ash of war by the physik church and put it on whatever. It's a flat damage boost so really good early game

The Great Mace by the dectus lift is pretty Paladin-ey

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think I missed Edgar's quest by loving around and doing stuff in the wrong order. Spoke to his daughter, she gave me the letter, I then cleared most of the upper map and Stormveil Castle, and when I got back she was dead. Finally went down to Castle Morne and he wasn't at his bench, either before or after killing the boss. Got to the shack last night and killed him as an invader.

It's one of the drawbacks of there being less guidance in Souls games. My wife was asking me if it's true there's no 'this enemy is too high level for you' indicator in the game and initially I said I liked it that way - it's more realistic that you approach an enemy to see how tough it is and if you do gently caress all damage you go somewhere else and come back later with better gear and stats, like that is a core part of the game.

But equally it does also lead to things like this where if you do take the challenge of going straight to the castle and then summoning past Godrick, you can gently caress quests up?

Like I managed to snipe the ballista operator and get across the bridge relatively early, spoke to the daughter, but then saw a giant and thought gently caress that and noped out of there, and i think that might have been what broke the sequence?

The two things kind of seem at odds with each other. Explore and come back later when you're tougher, but also don't wander off and do other things!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
No, you completed the quest. That's how that quest goes. She always dies.

There are very very very few cases where wandering off to do stuff has any potential to actually break quests, and in those few cases, it's only possible in that you might accidentally complete a major event or quest flag that forces a particular outcome (usually it's a boss fight that changes the game world in some way). Elden Ring is actually really good about that kind of thing as far as Fromsoft games go. You can almost always double back and pick up the thread wherever you left off.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 31, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah the only thing you missed there is the chance to summon Edgar to fight Misbegotten, you get his loot when you kill the invader version.

Irina/Edgar is just a lead-in to the Hyetta/frenzy quest anyway, which is probably why she auto-dies when you kill Godrick.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fair enough. My godrick soldiers had my back during the manimal fight anyway.

There's still a grace trail pointing to the castle, which is a bit annoying.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Fair enough. My godrick soldiers had my back during the manimal fight anyway.

There's still a grace trail pointing to the castle, which is a bit annoying.

those are permanent sorry

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Class is temporary, grace is permanent

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Edgar gives you a Sacrifical Twig if you talk to him, that's about the only difference.

There's some missable non-consumable items if you don't talk to certain NPCs at certain times, such as the Magic Scorpion Charm. The fact that the game mostly does a good job of not doing this (or at least making missed items have upgraded versions later in the game) makes the exceptions really annoying.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm a fan of Roundtable Guide's progression checklist myself. It could do with some minor revisions, but I doubt Fextra's is any different in that regard and as a bonus you're not giving them their stupid Twitch views.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Edgar gives you a Sacrifical Twig if you talk to him, that's about the only difference.

There's some missable non-consumable items if you don't talk to certain NPCs at certain times, such as the Magic Scorpion Charm. The fact that the game mostly does a good job of not doing this (or at least making missed items have upgraded versions later in the game) makes the exceptions really annoying.

Magic Scorpion Charm is by far the worst example yeah. Generally speaking, the other missable things can be easily lived without, but if you ever want to build the unholy gimmick Biggest Numbers glass cannon mage you will want the MSC... and you're just completely poo poo out of luck if you borked that quest or picked the other outcome. At that point you have to either beg a friend to drop/mule it for you or resign yourself to doing the quest correctly in New Game+.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
You can also miss out on the Dung Eater puppet in the same way.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I miss being able to gently caress up or significantly change the outcome of quests myself. It made figuring out how to progress them feel more meaningful. I actually miss a lot of the weird unintuitive stuff from the earlier games and kinda dislike how hand holdy ER is, but I know that’s a divisive take.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Dyz posted:

You can also miss out on the Dung Eater puppet in the same way.

This is true, though there are plenty of really good ashes you can use instead. Dung Eater is mostly notable for being an absurdly resilient tank who also does pretty good damage, and there are some really baller tanky ashes out there (I like the flame monk/black flame monk personally, they're wildly aggressive and do pretty good poise damage; the various knight ashes are also extremely solid).

The Magic Scorpion Charm isn't an alternative to anything - you invariably want to wear both that and the Graven Mass talisman if you're going for a magic glass cannon build.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's fine that there's actually good stuff you can miss, it makes discovering these tangents rewarding and has been part of the series's charm since the start

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think I'm just griping because I'm only likely to play games through once nowadays, just don't have the time to do stuff like "hey what if I did a 2 hand dagger no poise run."

I'm somewhat tempted to look up endings to make sure I walk away feeling like I didn't gently caress everything up by accidentally picking up enough things for the bad ending, but have resisted so far.

To be clear I am really enjoying playing in a way I haven't enjoyed playing viddy games in a long time. From games are very rewarding in a pretty unique way, they can just have some frustrating quirks as well.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The quest "system" is insanely bad; "unintuitive" is generous.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm somewhat tempted to look up endings to make sure I walk away feeling like I didn't gently caress everything up by accidentally picking up enough things for the bad ending, but have resisted so far.

Good news, that's not how it works

Bad news, they're all the bad ending

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The quest "system" is insanely bad; "unintuitive" is generous.
at least it's not dark souls 3 Greirat

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I found a couple jagoffs on Elden Ring last week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dghrF3qN_xU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2V7d8QvYn8

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

I guess someone was desperate for turtle meat.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think I'm just griping because I'm only likely to play games through once nowadays, just don't have the time to do stuff like "hey what if I did a 2 hand dagger no poise run."

To be clear I am really enjoying playing in a way I haven't enjoyed playing viddy games in a long time. From games are very rewarding in a pretty unique way, they can just have some frustrating quirks as well.

The endings are not tied to items like in BB, so no worries there. You need to complete certain NPC questlines to access their endings though, and there are likely spoiler free guides out there for them that just list places to go. In general if you are only going to play once, using a wiki to not miss where NPCs are is a good idea.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

No, you completed the quest. That's how that quest goes. She always dies.

There are very very very few cases where wandering off to do stuff has any potential to actually break quests, and in those few cases, it's only possible in that you might accidentally complete a major event or quest flag that forces a particular outcome (usually it's a boss fight that changes the game world in some way). Elden Ring is actually really good about that kind of thing as far as Fromsoft games go. You can almost always double back and pick up the thread wherever you left off.

FWIW almost every single quest character you interact with will die and this will be the natural quest line. Even the ones you didn't interact with but were tied in to other's questlines. Only ones that don't are like, Ranni, Nephili, Gostoc, Haight, Jar-Bairn, Patches, Miriel, Roderika, Hewg, Merchant Kalé, and Boc if you save him but he's a special case.

I realize I just listed 11 people but to be fair, Ranni is a major quest character that you choose an ending that in a way kills her, Gostoc is a merchant, Patches is a merchant, Miriel is a merchant, Rodericka and Hewg are merchants, Kalé is a...merchant, and Boc is too. Nephili, Jar-Bairn, and Kenneth Haight are really the only exceptions to the rule when you remove merchants that are essential for the progression of the game.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

FWIW almost every single quest character you interact with will die and this will be the natural quest line. Even the ones you didn't interact with but were tied in to other's questlines. Only ones that don't are like, Ranni, Nephili, Gostoc, Haight, Jar-Bairn, Patches, Miriel, Roderika, Hewg, Merchant Kalé, and Boc if you save him but he's a special case.

I realize I just listed 11 people but to be fair, Ranni is a major quest character that you choose an ending that in a way kills her, Gostoc is a merchant, Patches is a merchant, Miriel is a merchant, Rodericka and Hewg are merchants, Kalé is a...merchant, and Boc is too. Nephili, Jar-Bairn, and Kenneth Haight are really the only exceptions to the rule when you remove merchants that are essential for the progression of the game.

Also at least you get their stuff when they die, regardless of how they die (everyone).

Except Ranni. You can't kill Ranni.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Hewg might not die during the course of play, but towards the end it's pretty obvious that he hasn't got much longer :smith:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah but you gotta slay a god with his weapons before he will, so good news!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair killing a god in From universes isn't really that impressive. All you need is a sharp bit of metal and some good timing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair killing a god in From universes isn't really that impressive. All you need is a sharp bit of metal and some good timing.

You don't even need it to be sharp, as long as it's big.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
I missed Nepheli at Stormveil completely, and this locked me out of the arsenal charm for a bit. This was really the only annoying thing for the first third of the game. You can get the great jar’s arsenal fairly quickly if you beeline for it and are willing to cheese the fight.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's hard to see how a smart and patient gamer isn't a god's worst nightmare.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

It's hard to see how a smart and patient gamer min/maxing pedant with too much time on their hands and ADHD isn't a god's literally everyone’s worst nightmare.

FTFY

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

This is the truth, but I had a sudden fear people may not have been familiar with the source quote and it's a masterpiece so https://www.reddit.com/r/copypasta/comments/atjapr/dark_souls_is_proof_you_can_beat_up_a_horse/

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just finished my first run and started messing around in NG+. Accidentally murdered Patches in about 2 seconds before he could surrender. Whoops. Guess I’m not doing his quest line this run either

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

dialhforhero posted:

You forgot Rya. :colbert:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I killed Patches on both characters... is his quest line good? Should I restart the level 20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Patches’ quest has a couple of lines that are worth the hassle of putting up with him. “Who on earth spends their time booby-trapping treasure chests?” Later he gets horny for Tanith.

Also points you to the sturdiest armor in the game if you care about that sort of thing.