Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

CarPlay has turned me around on the huge screens

It’s the best

Yeah android auto is the poo poo, can't imagine not having it on a car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Professor Shark posted:

About to buy a car (Rav 4) for the first time since 2015, looking forward to it sucking worse than usual somehow

Car is going to be fine, but Toyota has moved a bunch of stuff to their app that needs a subscription for certain things. Like remote start and some diagnostics.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

CitizenKain posted:

Car is going to be fine, but Toyota has moved a bunch of stuff to their app that needs a subscription for certain things. Like remote start and some diagnostics.

Yeah this really pissed me off about my RAV4. 8 bucks a month to remote start my car through a lovely app that takes 15 seconds to load?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

shazbot posted:

Yeah this really pissed me off about my RAV4. 8 bucks a month to remote start my car through a lovely app that takes 15 seconds to load?

You could buy aftermarket with a good ROI on it? Is that even still a thing?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ugh I'm going to wait as long as possible to get another car because I'll have to hack it

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Virigoth posted:

You could buy aftermarket with a good ROI on it? Is that even still a thing?

Problem with aftermarket stereos is that a lot of core functions of the actual car are being integrated into the stock radio.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ArmedZombie posted:

ugh I'm going to wait as long as possible to get another car because I'll have to hack it

I've been driving my car since 2004. I'll buy a new one when it dies but it refuses to die.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Triikan posted:

Problem with aftermarket stereos is that a lot of core functions of the actual car are being integrated into the stock radio.

Sorry I meant after market remote start!

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I feel like they changed the sofritas at Chipotle somehow but I can't figure out what it is.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Yeah you can definitely bypass the paywalled remote start with a conventional remote starter. The paywalled ones use a built in LTE receiver to transmit commands, conventional setups use radio to transmit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ArmedZombie posted:

I've had the same thought, but the reality is this and more tech is just going to be more and more common.
How soon till we have some manner of AI talking to us in the vehicle, and guiding our choices?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

redshirt posted:

I've had the same thought, but the reality is this and more tech is just going to be more and more common.
How soon till we have some manner of AI talking to us in the vehicle, and guiding our choices?

I doubt they'll legalise AI marriage anytime soon.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The true way that cars have gotten worse is that they are all massive SUVs now, which pretty much only exist to get around regulations by pretending to be trucks. They are huge, ugly, inefficient, and are death traps for anyone outside the vehicle.

(Modern pick-up trucks are even worse, but I'll save that crotchety rant for another day.)

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, I know a lot of the people claim that 'they don't make it like they used to!' don't remember how lovely stuff was made back in the day. Even the crustiest crap from Aliexpress is miles better than the average stuff they made domestically in the 60's, 70' and 80's. This applies to mostly consumer goods and a lot of bigger ticket items. Everything from back in the 70's especially was some of the flimsiest crap imaginable.

It really depends on the stuff you're talking about. Modern furniture is mostly trash. Just try to find brand new furniture made out of actual wood. It's pretty tough to find unless you go to a bespoke furniture maker. Even super high-end, designer furniture is made out of cheap mdf/pressboard/particleboard. Also, good quality clothes are much harder to find. A pair of work pants that last more than a year without completely disintegrating are basically nonexistent.

naem
May 29, 2011

does anyone make actual blue jeans anymore?

I bought some lucky brand and they look nice but are def not going to last forever and they are stretchy

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

naem posted:

I bought some lucky brand and they look nice but are def not going to last forever and they are stretchy

If you care about durability more than the look, inexpensive duck canvas pants are still around. Even the Walmart Dickies stuff lasts me 3-5 years before the legs just fall off.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 31, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

how come kids dont roll barrel hoops down the street and keep them up with sticks anymore

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I still see hoop rolling happening but it's mostly at outdoor basketball courts instead of down the street. Be the change you want to see, I guess.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Cars reached their apogee in like 2009 where they had all the modern safety features and ease of use but they didn't have touch screen entertainment systems, just bluetooth and an aux port

Cars in 2009 had basically none of the modern safety or ease of use features. Blind spot monitor, cross-traffic warning, pedestrian detection, all no. Lane keeping and auto braking, also no. Lane departure warning and obstacle detection, maybe, barely, on high end luxury cars only, and it was dogshit. No android auto/car play, no voice commands. Suction cup a TomTom to your windshield and plug it into the cigarette lighter to navigate anywhere.

Old cars suck poo poo. Get something that drives itself and you will never go back. If you hate cars that don't have physical buttons for important stuff, get a Mazda.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

More important than those things is a car dat actually works, does as i tell it to (not as it thinks i want it to do, just like with software) and is repairable without pulling all kinds of weird stunts or shelling out thousands to fix otherwise trivial damage. And preferably without crap like cam belts that run in an oil bath which cost about double the cost of a normal cam belt replacement (while lasting shorter), without the extremely lean mixtures or lovely engine management that lead to terrible rev hang when going off throttle, and with hydraulic power steering instead of vague electric assist.

I don't feel like paying like >2000 euro for a array of new radar sensors because someone backed their tow hook into my bumper or something.

2009 cars were already astoundingly safe in crashes.

If i wanna be driven, i take the train. At least in those things i can fully ignore the world around me, without having to be able to take control. Watch movies, shitpost, all that good stuff.
If i have to drive myself, i want as direct a connection to the moving parts as possible, with as little 'let me think for you' bullshit as possible.

Driving experience wise, the humble Peugeot 205 is one of the few cars i actually liked. It's noisy and buzzy on the highway, but the steering feedback is phenomenal, the suspension is compliant yet communicative, and it goes through corners like crazy. The controls are immediate, all of them. Snappy brake, snappy throttle, unassisted steering (not needed in a 750kg car). It'll crumple like a soda can in a crash, but i'm just focusing on the user experience right now. It does as you tell it to, the instant you tell it to, without putting a thick woolen blanket over everything.

Likewise, the Renault Twingo 1 is ludicrously practical. It will seat 4 people with as much space as a VW Bora or Seat Toledo if you shift the bench back, yet it weighs 300kg less and is way smaller. It's the epitome of practicality and unwasted space. Compared to a much larger Renault Captur - it's just sad what has happened to the interior space usage of cars.
Same with a nissan juke. Less space than in some cheap old city cars of 20 years back.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 31, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

naem posted:

Levis 100% cotton (non stretch) jeans are still okay but they won't last more then a couple of years. I picked up a second hand older pair a few years again and I swear they're in the same condition despite being my work on the truck and outdoor labour pants.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

naem posted:

Sure but they're expensive jean nerd brands. I know how much people love anime, so go with the Jojo ones https://www.nakedandfamousdenim.com/en/jojo-x-nf.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 31, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cerekk posted:

Blind spot monitor, cross-traffic warning, pedestrian detection, all no. Lane keeping and auto braking, also no. Lane departure warning and obstacle detection, maybe, barely, on high end luxury cars only, and it was dogshit. No android auto/car play, no voice commands.

My parents got a new car for the first time in their lives in early 2020 and they hate all of those things because it feels like rather than being safer it encourages complacency. Driving it a few times, I feel the same. Also the touch screen that controls everything reliably breaks every time the temp dips below -30C.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dip Viscous posted:

Also the touch screen that controls everything reliably breaks every time the temp dips below -30C.

If it hasn't already this poo poo is going to get someone killed and I hope the manufacturer gets sued to hell and back

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Cerekk posted:

Cars in 2009 had basically none of the modern safety or ease of use features. Blind spot monitor, cross-traffic warning, pedestrian detection, all no. Lane keeping and auto braking, also no. Lane departure warning and obstacle detection, maybe, barely, on high end luxury cars only, and it was dogshit. No android auto/car play, no voice commands. Suction cup a TomTom to your windshield and plug it into the cigarette lighter to navigate anywhere.

Old cars suck poo poo. Get something that drives itself and you will never go back. If you hate cars that don't have physical buttons for important stuff, get a Mazda.

The only recent car safety feature that's actually worth a poo poo is the rear camera and possibly blind spot monitor. All the other features are just annoying and never work when they're actually supposed to.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cerekk posted:

Get something that drives itself and you will never go back.

cars can't drive themselves and this is magical thinking that leads to dangerous complacency hth

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MrQwerty posted:

cars can't drive themselves and this is magical thinking that leads to dangerous complacency hth

Sorry about your old lovely car, try not to kill anyone while you operate it without the benefit of sensors that can see beyond the limits of human perception and control systems that can react a million timea faster than a person.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cerekk posted:

Sorry about your old lovely car, try not to kill anyone while you operate it without the benefit of sensors that can see beyond the limits of human perception and control systems that can react a million timea faster than a person.

Sounds like a skill issue

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cerekk posted:

try to pay attention while you operate heavy machinery

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Lots of things on new cars suck poo poo but the adaptive cruise control has helped my relationship.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MrQwerty posted:

So you don't use cruise control?

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Seatbelts, automatic transmissions, antilock brakes, cruise control, defrosters, backup cameras, lidar are all crutches that make you a lovely driver!!!

I will only drive cars made before 1977

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ban cars. Ban drivers.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Beastie posted:

So you don't use cruise control?

I haven't owned a car with cruise control in a while, and also cruise control is a throttle lock mechanism that disengages as soon as the brake switch engages, you're still engaging with the inputs

shazbot posted:

Seatbelts, automatic transmissions, antilock brakes, cruise control, defrosters, backup cameras, lidar are all crutches that make you a lovely driver!!!

I will only drive cars made before 1977

They're all things that are nice to have as long as you're engaging with operating heavy machinery

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cerekk posted:

wow elon still posts here?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Cerekk posted:

When I drive my 'lovely car', I use my eyes and the have somehow used the feature of 'looking' and have managed to get in zero accidents with such crazy tech.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It really depends on the stuff you're talking about. Modern furniture is mostly trash. Just try to find brand new furniture made out of actual wood. It's pretty tough to find unless you go to a bespoke furniture maker. Even super high-end, designer furniture is made out of cheap mdf/pressboard/particleboard. Also, good quality clothes are much harder to find. A pair of work pants that last more than a year without completely disintegrating are basically nonexistent.

Clothing quality in general has been on a downward trend for a while, but it has absolutely nosedived in the past 3 years or so. Lots of really lovely synthetic blends or full synthetic fabrics, and everything is so much thinner. It really stood out to me when I went to a Nordstrom Rack recently, it was piles of awful plasticy shirts and pants. Yes it's a clearance/discount store that isn't going to be top quality to begin with, yes synthetics are not always inherently bad, but this was just egregiously awful stuff. The difference in merchandise compared to only a few years ago was stark.

I'm finding myself moving towards niche/boutique brands and even made to measure stuff, and it's a real pain in the rear end.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Virigoth posted:

Lots of things on new cars suck poo poo but the adaptive cruise control has helped my relationship.

I hate it.

And I love regular Cruise Control, use it as much as possible.

But when I set it at 77, I want to go 77.

With adaptive CC, you look down and you're doing 72.

If you're looking to just chill, I suppose that's cool.

I'm looking to go 77.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
You’re doing 72 because otherwise you would rear end the car in front of you going 5 mph slower??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

redshirt posted:

I hate it.

And I love regular Cruise Control, use it as much as possible.

But when I set it at 77, I want to go 77.

With adaptive CC, you look down and you're doing 72.

If you're looking to just chill, I suppose that's cool.

I'm looking to go 77.

Sounds like you need to work on your situational awareness. Works fine for me