Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

redshirt posted:

Did we ever see the Goa'uld change up their tactics when dealing with Earth?

Ba'al did, so, other than him.

Do the Manchurian Candidate episodes count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Did we ever see the Goa'uld change up their tactics when dealing with Earth?

Ba'al did, so, other than him.

I mean, it's Ba'al, he's just so magnificent bastard-y. Anubis has a whole Ancient database in him when he ascended, so he's got some lateral thinking skills.

All the other Gou'ald are just mostly too arrogant to try anything different, and they just love the idea of a billion slaves dying in their name - very pre-old Testament style. Of course, there's a lot of Trojan horse attacks - sneaky ZPMs (Camulus), sex drugs (Hathor/Seth), etc.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Plus whatever you want to call what Osiris was doing before capture.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

With the iris center bulging outward to the center (otherwise the cool pointy center wouldn't stick out so much), all they had to do was make a naquadah enhanced shape charge and push it through the middle. Ample room to have it materialize :shrug:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I mean, it's Ba'al, he's just so magnificent bastard-y. Anubis has a whole Ancient database in him when he ascended, so he's got some lateral thinking skills.

All the other Gou'ald are just mostly too arrogant to try anything different, and they just love the idea of a billion slaves dying in their name - very pre-old Testament style. Of course, there's a lot of Trojan horse attacks - sneaky ZPMs (Camulus), sex drugs (Hathor/Seth), etc.

Jaffa never seem to do anything different.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I forgot about Camulus' rigged ZPM but I discounted Hathor because everything she did in her first appearance seemed to be in her standard kit, not necessarily changing up her approach for Earth in particular. However, her second appearance when she tried to trick SG-1 with a fake SGC and all that definitely counts.

FFT posted:

Plus whatever you want to call what Osiris was doing before capture.

When she was using modified Tok'ra mind probe tech to make Daniel translate the location of Atlantis in his dreams? Definitely outside-the-box thinking there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is there a bigger and more dangerous villain than Senator Kinsey?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The ancients

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I just rewatched the original movie since it's up on Youtube for free; it still holds up as a very solid sci-fi adventure movie. Nothing that really screams "this will launch a major franchise", just a well-made enjoyable movie. Plus some really great costumes for Ra and friends.

It really made me appreciate the brilliance of turning it into a series; looking at it in hindsight you can see a lot of places where they managed to find some hooks that segue nicely into a series, but watching it at the time, none of that was obvious or intended.

Ironically one thing that's aged the worst is the CGI helmet animations, I remember them being much better than they actually are. The one for Ra is still pretty decent but the ones for the guards look kind of janky today. But man, to a 10 year old watching it in the theater it was the absolute coolest thing ever.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

The people who voted him into office.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

President Kinsey

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

President Kinsey

[raises finger] Vice President Kinsey

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

alexandriao posted:

McKay grows on you and by the end of SGA McKay was one of my favourite characters. I really love Hewlett and it's a shame he hasn't got more roles

I've said this a few times, but the 90s/00s had a trend of films getting TV series versions (Buffy, The Crow, Beastmaster, Stargate, etc.) of various levels of success. With all the false starts on a third Ghostbusters in the 90s/00s, it seems like the early 2000s would have been a decent time for them to have attempted a Ghostbusters live action series in its place for a few years.

Hewlett seems like he really could have done a good/great reimagined-for-TV Venkman or Ray. He has the smarmy qualities of the former and the obsessive tendencies of the latter as McKay.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

The people who voted him into office.

To be fair to his voters, they had no idea what a true traitor he was, having no idea about the Stargate program.

In reality, politicians would have been all over it, and it would have been leaked so often they'd have to go public.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Once we found out that the government was building navy-sized spaceships capable of interstellar travel, the plausibility of keeping everything a secret really took a nosedive.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
There was a Crow TV show?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Once we found out that the government was building navy-sized spaceships capable of interstellar travel, the plausibility of keeping everything a secret really took a nosedive.

Multiples of them. And fighter spacecraft. Can you imagine the manpower, the facilities, the supply chain, the middle management, the budgets, the meetings. So many people.....

Secrecy of the gate by later seasons is one of the least believable things on the show.

Someone mentioned earlier, but a new show should have the Gate being known, and the whole world involved with it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The US Government announces the SG1 program, and the entire world is just like "yeah no poo poo, everyone's know for years."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The season seven finale "The Lost City" was originally intended to be a movie that would wrap up SG-1, reveal the program during Anubis' attack on Earth and lead into Atlantis, before the president of Syfy decided to run both series simultaneously. The show's producers later planned to make another movie after Continuum about the revelation of the Stargate program and everything related to it, but MGM going bankrupt put the kibosh on it.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 30, 2023

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

McSpanky posted:

The season seven finale "The Lost City" was originally intended to be a movie that would wrap up SG-1, reveal the program during Anubis' attack on Earth and lead into Atlantis, before the president of Syfy decided to run both series simultaneously. The show's producers later planned to make another movie after Continuum about the revelation of the Stargate program and everything related to it, but MGM going bankrupt put the kibosh on it.

Yeah that's fairly obvious on a re-watch. They introduce a new character who's this PR/negotiating genius, there's a threat to Earth that can't just be solved by one little cargo ship doing a wormhole, the main characters sort of reach their natural conclusions... and then, season 8!

It would have been cool to live in that universe. Atlantis has the "secret"/plucky underdogs storyline, SG-1 either ends or deals with the fallout.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

That makes a lot of sense.

Such a great episode though regardless. The President talking poo poo straight to Anubis was one of the best moments in the show, and it's even better because it was 100% bluster. For all he knew, Earth was about to be enslaved.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The episode is on now, one of the biggest mysteries of SG1:

When Jack was stranded on another planet due to meteor bombardment, did he get that nice lady pregnant?

The one who says goodbye at the end of the episode, notably folding her hands over her stomach while doing so.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

When Jack was stranded on another planet due to meteor bombardment, did he get that nice lady pregnant?

The one who says goodbye at the end of the episode, notably folding her hands over her stomach while doing so.

I assume like 9 out of the 10 worlds SG-1 visit has little Daniel's, Jack's, or Teal'c's running around.

Avatar with it's cute early 2000s video game CGI is a fun episode. Affinity has Pete in it, which is a bit of a downer.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

redshirt posted:

I've been watching SGA for the first time (other than a random episode here and there decades ago), almost done with Season 2, and I still hate Rodney.

He's cast as the arrogant sexist rear end in a top hat, so it's not like I'm making this up, but I really question this choice. There is no similar character on SG1 (except Rodney himself).

Hard to root for an rear end in a top hat. Even if he does save the day from time to time.

He was my wife's favourite a few seasons into Atlantis. I think the turning point is the cool episode where his ship gets jammed halfway into a stargate and he has to endure himself. also enjoyed the physical comedy that ensues any time he's given a gun.

Actor is a canadian mainstay and was also a panicky idiot in Cube, and recently Guillermo Del Toro's show.

Anyways we watched all the series during the pandemic and loved SG1 and Atlantis.

Key standouts:
- consistent writing with very little plotholes
- trip down memeory lane for anyone who grew up around Vancouver in the 90s (Teal'C fighting muggers in the hard streets of English Bay was an all timer. also Area 51 being surrounded by pine trees)
- RDA gets loopier with each season until he just replaces himself with the Farscape peeps
- Sam having the WORST civilian attire. Was she dressed so poorly as a joke.
- WORMHOLE X-TREME

Durf fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 30, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sam gets a new, slightly different haircut each season, while poor Dr Fraser has the worst haircuts I’ve ever seen until like s7. She’s gorgeous and a great actor but they really did her dirty.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

i vote yes. he was there for for almost an entire year while carter worked out how to build their sokkar lazer to get tealc enough room to mine his way in.

I assume thats one of the few planets that has a baby jack around. ide be suprised if tealc had a kid anywhere and daniel definatly has one where he was prince fuckboy and probably like 6 more

snergle fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 1, 2023

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

snergle posted:

i vote yes. he was there for for almost an entire year while carter worked out how to build their sokkar lazer to get tealc enough room to mine his way in.

I assume thats one of the few planets that has a baby jack around. ide be suprised if tealc had a kid anywhere and daniel definatly has one where he was prince fuckboy and probably like 6 more

100% yes Jack, man needed some emotional repair
500% yes Teal'c, after his wife died and Rya'c was off training, I'm sure Teal'c realised just had much he had raw sex appeal he had
2000% yes Daniel, it's just his thing to go on a planet and gently caress a native
0% Carter, the Black Widow is both a semen demon and a literal man eater

-100% Rodney

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Daniel hosed a lot in the first 5 seasons due to his role as “the cute boy”. In hindsight it’s weird and unbalanced because they think he’s a magician from beyond the stars.

Tealc and the others were less cavalier. Jack definitely knocked up that woman tho.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if she did get pregnant.

What does surprise me is the show just dropped the storyline, though I will note she is referenced in the next episode (the one where Jack pretends to steal stuff from the Tollan and then angry retire, as a setup to get on Maybourne's illegal team).

One of Jack's defining characteristics is his love for children. I find it hard to believe he'd just "hit it and forget it".

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if she did get pregnant.

What does surprise me is the show just dropped the storyline, though I will note she is referenced in the next episode (the one where Jack pretends to steal stuff from the Tollan and then angry retire, as a setup to get on Maybourne's illegal team).

One of Jack's defining characteristics is his love for children. I find it hard to believe he'd just "hit it and forget it".

so you guys are constantly being bombarded by meteors huh

well i guess i dont need the jimmy

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Turns out that wormhole travel is rough on the old testes

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

GolfHole posted:

so you guys are constantly being bombarded by meteors huh

well i guess i dont need the jimmy

they were basically amish and if he even had any he definatly burned through them in like 3 months. the next 6 he was rolling those dice.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Remember that little mini-arc in Season 4 featuring the Tok'Ra Anise?
The super arm bands, the reformed Snake (but secretly evil Tanith), and the undercover spy detector machine.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The arm band virus should have been cultivated and made a return in Atlantis, where it goes wildly wrong someone effected by it is fed on.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Oh Citizen Joe, such a good episode

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

snergle posted:

they were basically amish and if he even had any he definatly burned through them in like 3 months. the next 6 he was rolling those dice.

He was only trapped on that planet for like 100 days. I'm sure the standard SG team kit has like 50 condoms for this exact situation.

redshirt posted:

Remember that little mini-arc in Season 4 featuring the Tok'Ra Anise?

aka Tok'Ra Barbie. I thought she was fine, but it was definitely a ploy to sex up the show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Oh Citizen Joe, such a good episode

I love the meta meta that Joe references The Simpsons.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

I love the meta meta that Joe references The Simpsons.

When Jack got a Tok'ra in him, can you imagine it's shock

"Who the gently caress is Homer?"

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
In the alternate universe Jack's boat was named homer with the name in the Simpsons font on the back of the boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"We haven't heard from them since 26:30 Atlantis Standard Time."

the gently caress standard time is that, then

(shortly before Ronan's introduction in Atlantis S2E03)

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 3, 2023