Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Simone Poodoin posted:

I'm planning to gear my sorc up with segeant's mail and storm master once I get it to 50. If you're running lightning staff that seems like a very nice option.

As for monster sets I like running one piece of slimecraw on both my characters these days.

Thanks, is everyone just wearing bits of heavy armor regardless now just for survivability or particular bonuses? Do players prefer a mish-mash of light-medium-heavy or is there a meta for particular sets? Lightning staff also seems the best option for a sorc, flame just takes too much magicka to sustain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I like to run mostly medium with one piece light and one piece heavy to get the bonus from that one undaunted skill but I think it depends on what you want to do. Im running Hexos Ward and Venomous Smite on my main so for that one survivability is more about hitting crits to trigger the shield and not so much about armor.

Imo if you’re not doing sweaty endgame stuff you dont really need to min max and you can brew jank fun builds to see what happens.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I just ran Wayrest Sewers II and I'm very glad I got slimecraw pauldrons on before I did, it was a pledge and the group had a couple of iffy members. Some joker calling themselves "Niamh the Unbreakable" joined until we ran into the 300k skeletons and quickly ran off presumably because we weren't carrying them or something and then just before we got to the lich the guy who replaced him quit soon after ...but not before he got the loot he wanted from the last boss...anyway one lich and two weird kids and their zombies later I have some more heavy stuff to play with, I'm going to add the head, its Malubeth the Scourger's Visage which is better than the Briarheart head and might be just enough edge to keep me alive to solo some of the more annoying bosses I've been finding in public dungeons.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
If any of you have the Necrom chapter but haven't been doing the festival make sure to get your free house from the store within the next week or so!

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Ran into someone in a daily battlegrounds match (a stealth build of some kind) that could reduce their opponent's Max HP to like 20% for 5+ seconds. Needless to say if you couldn't kill them before they hit you with whatever it was that did that, you were dead (and they used it against multiple players in quick succession).

Anyone know what it was? Basic google searching isn't turning up much beyond Glyphs of Decrease Health.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Offkorn posted:

Ran into someone in a daily battlegrounds match (a stealth build of some kind) that could reduce their opponent's Max HP to like 20% for 5+ seconds. Needless to say if you couldn't kill them before they hit you with whatever it was that did that, you were dead (and they used it against multiple players in quick succession).

Anyone know what it was? Basic google searching isn't turning up much beyond Glyphs of Decrease Health.

I've seen those health bars shrink in size in both PvP and PvE but I have no idea how it happens.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Offkorn posted:

I've seen this, maybe it'is a bug where the bars are supposed to shrink to 0 because you died, but then you dont actually die for some reason. Although sometimes it seems like a few of these sweaty BG nerds know 0-day exploits that other people dont know about, because the mechanics and damage sources are so ambiguous. Google a mechanic and there's basically no information about it, yet there's people who have put in 9,000 hours certainly who know things nobody else does.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is magsorc still a great solo class? I've been itching for some rpg action lately and figured I'd try a playthrough of this again. I saw a one bar magsorc build that looked pretty dope and chill

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I’m planning to start fresh on a console (thinking PS5 but I have both) because I don’t really play anymore on the PC. I had about 1200h in the game before I dropped two years ago and I think raids were the only bit of content I didn’t do.

My main was a templar and I thinking to pick any other class - considering arcanist or DK, with the goal of solo chilling through quests and PvP every few days or so. Planning to play dps solo and tank / dps in dungeons.

Any recommendations or changes from the last two years I should be aware of?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
After almost exclusively playing on PC, the PS5 version of ESO is my favorite, and I highly recommend playing in first person with the 3D audio headset for some of the lowkey best surround sound in gaming. Ended up being one of the most immersive gaming experiences I've ever had. You can very clearly tell not just what direction a sound is coming from, but also if its above or below you.

It's such an easy game that it doesn't matter that it might be harder to play optimally from first person, it's worth it for the quality of immersion, especially combined with the 3D audio.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endless Archive owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpi3YUIpGBI

Barreft fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 4, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got into the mood again to play this recently. Been messing with the Arcanist and it's awesome but have they not added any toggles for the Crux floating around you while in first-person? I don't mind switching around much but in first person those floating triangles get annoying. Not really seeing a toggle to remove them or something.

Edit: Meh, I got over it. I like the first person stuff for exploring but combat just works better in 3rd.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 6, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Just discovered a progress blocking bug in the 4th Southern Elsweyr main questline.

Really wondering how they managed to somehow create an invisible wall out of nowhere in a practically ancient non-main DLC area.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so im between stamina arcanist and magsorc for my playthrough character. arcanist looks interesting with its big lazer, but magsorc has pet builds and i do like those

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

queeb posted:

so im between stamina arcanist and magsorc for my playthrough character. arcanist looks interesting with its big lazer, but magsorc has pet builds and i do like those

I’m really enjoying my stamina arcanist, fwiw! But yeah if you want pets then it’s sort or warden I guess.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I've been enjoying pet-focused mag sorc, it's low on twitchy bar rotation in my experience. I've been keeping mostly buffs on my back bar, with the Elemental Wall AOE DOT, the Destruction Staff spammable, and whatever other damage thing I feel like on the front. I doubt it's optimal but it does decent damage and it's reasonably relaxed.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I have been levelling a Breton magSorc, but I'm starting to think I'd rather play a Stamina character. Should I just respect the Breton even though her race is not inclined to stamina builds, or should I make and level a seperate character with a more ideal race? If it matters, I'm interested mostly in solo-ing but also Veteran Dungeons.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Race really only matters if you are score pushing. And even then, I've seen a lot of really goofy combos.

If you like the Breton stay Breton. StamSorc has enough use of Magicka still ( Streak is Magicka after all ) that you'll get some use out of the passives.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Has anyone played Endless Archive much? What's the time investment and is it worth it? I don't care about dress up

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'm playing a fair bit of it cuz it's fun but jesus christ Tho'at Replicanum is so much harder than anything leading up to her. Immediately oneshots my companion, then oneshots me if I'm not always blocking/shielded.

E: Changed up my build+strategy and managed to beat her. Felt pretty good! Did most of it without my companion too - she stood in the bad stuff until she died, and the fight doesn't give you many opportunities to rez people.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 12, 2023

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Heads up for anyone doing Endless Archives:

There is a bug where if you do an event that turns you into something else, when it ends your gear bonuses are disabled. Unequip and reequip your gear to fix it. Or be like my Oakenarc, who suddenly stopped being able to clear the first arc after the sheep event, and I didn’t notice I had none of the buffs.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'll never play the archives but I'm laughing at the thought of a "sheep event."

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Sheep event is pretty fun. Better than the ghostlight one (just follow me!!) and the tomeshell one (what am I even doing).

I do wish there was an easy way to just queue for an Archive group finder. Also, what Arcanist builds are people enjoying lately? I can't make my mind up on the class.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Also, what Arcanist builds are people enjoying lately? I can't make my mind up on the class.

My arc is my current main. I'm loving it. I do a 1 bar mag build for solo/overland thats been perfectly fine up to the easier vet dungeons and trials. I probably spend 90% of my time using this build.

64 mag
Thief mundus in group and overland, lover in solo arenas and pvp
Sugar skulls food.

5x pillar of nirn, 5x deadly, 1 light slimecraw shoulder, 1x oakensoul.

Divines body, bloodthirsty jewels, precise staff in group, sharpened when solo.

mag enchants, mag dmg enchants, berzerker enchant on the lightning staff. Yadda yadda

Bar is:
inspired scholarship
arcanist domain for dungeons/trials, evolving runemend for solo and overland
pragmatic fatecarver (beam goes brrr)
cephaliarch flail
rune of displacement (can flex whatever you need in here depending on situation, crushing shock, elemental sus, vigor, trap, etc.)

I also have a sweaty 2 bar setup for harder vets/progging hardmodes. Look up skinny cheeks, basically.

I have a tank setup that's been pretty good, but I'm not a good enough tank yet to do more than vet dungeon clears for friends and guildies.

I haven't done healer yet, but I don't play healer much so it hasn't been a priority. One of the healers in my core team loves it though and says she prefers it over her templar.

Pvp has been...ok, but kinda lackluster. Beam is a noob trap unless you have a very coordinated team to help you set up your shots (in bgs or solo, its stupid easy to avoid, and leaves the caster very vulnerable) but I'm still workshopping ideas to find my personal sweetspot build. YMMV.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah magsorc is cool but arcanist is calling me, but it's locked behind expansion stuff and I'm starting from square one so I think magsorc will do fine. Can magsorc be built to do all content and soloing eventually?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

queeb posted:

Yeah magsorc is cool but arcanist is calling me, but it's locked behind expansion stuff and I'm starting from square one so I think magsorc will do fine. Can magsorc be built to do all content and soloing eventually?
Every class can be built to do all content and solo.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Dick Trauma posted:

I'll never play the archives but I'm laughing at the thought of a "sheep event."

I played it once and honestly won't ever play it again. I thought it would be a mode where you get overwhelmed by more-and-more enemies, but it's the same old "fight this small group of enemies" thing the game has always been. And it's soooo slow. The ESO trudge of taking portals and waiting for enemies of to spawn is alive and well in Endless Archive!

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

With all the people farming Atoll for the Deadlands event, you'd think they'd know the boss mechanics by now.

But no, they just keeping attacking the invincible boss while ignoring the adds. Or they interrupt his big wind-up attack so he gets to go invincible again just as we're about to kill him.

Also, the Annihilarch motif droprate is loving abysmal.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I've been levelling my stam warden and he's been a lot of fun but sometimes you get a boss where you have to use weapons against your favourite type. I've been playing the fargrave content and there was a certain Incarnate that was one-shotting me until I broke out the greatsword and wailed on him. I'd been having more fun with bow destruction staff (wardens have a good bit of magic with the right stam gear) but it just wasn't cutting it with this guy, lesson learnt.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
honestly brawler can put enough work into a rotation to where greatsword can handle a lot of stuff all on its own

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Offkorn posted:

With all the people farming Atoll for the Deadlands event, you'd think they'd know the boss mechanics by now.

But no, they just keeping attacking the invincible boss while ignoring the adds. Or they interrupt his big wind-up attack so he gets to go invincible again just as we're about to kill him.

For some reason I harken back to Unreal Tournament 2004 onslaught mode where n00bs would sit and try to heal the core (which was impossible) and let the other team steamroll the few people trying to actually fight.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Offkorn posted:

The dungeon finder is always chill for me because I never expect anyone to know the jank-rear end mechanics. These bosses rely on the thinnest gimmicks built around unclear stage transitions, and a clunky interaction system. Sometimes you will get a text warning, but most times you will get nuked and remember to do something differently next time. Dont get me wrong, I like it a lot, but the inconsistency in boss design means there's no language the player learns to inherently understand the mechanics

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Pontificating rear end posted:

The dungeon finder is always chill for me because I never expect anyone to know the jank-rear end mechanics. These bosses rely on the thinnest gimmicks built around unclear stage transitions, and a clunky interaction system. Sometimes you will get a text warning, but most times you will get nuked and remember to do something differently next time. Dont get me wrong, I like it a lot, but the inconsistency in boss design means there's no language the player learns to inherently understand the mechanics

Lots of people tune out what bosses are saying since they talk a ton but that's because they are calling out all of their important moves and transitions.

On PC you can use add-ons to call everything out for you and it's expected of you in harder content but I feel like almost everything is telegraphed pretty well. The exception is the half second heavy attacks some mobs/bosses do that stick nasty debuffs on you, I have no clue how you are supposed to dodge them without predicting when they will happen(and even then you can still get hit during your roll because of latency).

You're right about the inconsistency though, even if you know the boss is doing something you still need to learn what it is. Red lines = interrupt asap is the only thing that game hammers into you even though some interruptible attacks aren't that dangerous or have the interrupt delayed.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Kagrenac posted:

On PC you can use add-ons to call everything out for you and it's expected of you in harder content but I feel like almost everything is telegraphed pretty well.

I have a lot of mods, but as far as I found they have this for trials but not the dungeon finder, ie vet dungeons

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Pontificating rear end posted:

I have a lot of mods, but as far as I found they have this for trials but not the dungeon finder, ie vet dungeons

CrutchAlerts, CodesCombatAlerts, and OdySupportIcons cover pretty much everything outside of trials.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Kagrenac posted:

CrutchAlerts, CodesCombatAlerts, and OdySupportIcons cover pretty much everything outside of trials.

Thanks "alerts" is the keyword I was missing on this one. That ESOUI site seems like a relic in itself, like I'm searching for modding scrolls or some poo poo. Anyway, this makes the vet runs feel a lot more fair because at least you know something is coming.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Anyone how the drop rate behaves with things that can drop multiple antiquity leads?

If you already have one (or more) of the leads it can drop, does that increase the chance of getting one you don't have, or does it instead increase the chance of giving you nothing (since you can't have duplicates)?

e: Actually, considering how the Bthar-Zel leads work, it's got to be the former. I must just be on a bad-luck streak.

e2: There seems to be a hard limit of 12 active leads per area. I got another lead immediately after digging one up (bringing the total down to 11).

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 11, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

The High Isle arc dungeons are so ridiculously unpopular. Hours long waits for them to fire.

Then, when one finally does, you have about a 75% chance that the tank isn't tanky enough to handle the bosses' heavy attacks (probably part of why they're unpopular).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Offkorn posted:

Anyone how the drop rate behaves with things that can drop multiple antiquity leads?

If you already have one (or more) of the leads it can drop, does that increase the chance of getting one you don't have, or does it instead increase the chance of giving you nothing (since you can't have duplicates)?

e: Actually, considering how the Bthar-Zel leads work, it's got to be the former. I must just be on a bad-luck streak.

e2: There seems to be a hard limit of 12 active leads per area. I got another lead immediately after digging one up (bringing the total down to 11).

It's the former.

I've made most of my money during Blackwood/Skyrim events by doing a frankly absurd amount of maps and reselling any of the high end Purple motifs. Once you fill out your leads of all the various motif pages and only have Chests/Swords/Shields you'll be guaranteed to only get Chests/Swords/Shields. So you ignore all the greens/blues and only ever scry/dig up the purples, over and over and over again.

With average of 1 motif page per 5 maps it's a good profit if you are willing to plug your initial 2m-3m or so of seed money into it. I usually do it for the whole event and walk away with 10-15m off the initial 2m investment.

It's also mind numbingly boring but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm having a weird issue with the New Life Festival event, I seem to be being blocked from it. The impressario is nowhere to be seen (her assistant claims she's "out") so I can't use the portal and I can't find Breda in Eastmarch and the quest isn't available from the Crown store. I tried with different characters and the result is the same, what the hell. I've done the event before, though.