Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks Ants posted:

We canned someone a couple of weeks ago who claimed a lot of Intune experience and then said you couldn't use it to deploy Wi-Fi profiles so they'd have to touch 60 laptops

Wow. That person must have been a master bullshitter to get through the interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

skipdogg posted:

We're dropping Okta. It's not easy, but the cost savings are finally big enough to make it worth it. Most companies are looking at cutting costs, and we have a 7 figure Okta bill every year. Combine that with the ever increasing price of Microsoft E5 licenses, there's a push to derive more value from Microsoft solutions we're paying for anyway.

We have roughly 90K users, and 1400 apps in Okta right now.

It's a 3 year project to move off of Okta, to minimize disruption we're timing it with the certificate rotation of the apps.

Oof, you guys use Okta? In light of the hack earlier this year and the one just last week they really don't seem great. I gotta be honest buddy, sometimes when you post I think "maybe I should switch to Chase". Though they're probably even worse security-wise, there's just no one posting here about it.

Frankly at this point I'd switch to any financial institution that allowed real passwords or, ideally, FIDO passkeys. It's insane to me that the two major financial institutions I use have 12 and 20 character password limits and SMS two factor or Symantec VIP :gonk: TOTP.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't see how anybody half competent is worried about being unemployed when it's 50/50 if anybody I interact with in this industry has a clue about what they are doing.

I never worry about being unemployed. I know I could be working somewhere in less than a month. Finding a job that pays as well, or has the same benefits, or overall working environment, now that might be tough.

edit: Yeah Okta for internal corp stuff. Customer Auth is a completely separate system I don't have much insight to.

There are some interesting challenges on that side of things, especially with our customer base. There is a non zero number of customers that don't have smartphones, and we get a surprising amount of pushback when we do try to make things more secure, because a certain demographic sees it as inconvenient. You can read between the lines on those statements. Personally I bank with a local credit union.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 31, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Thanks Ants posted:

We canned someone a couple of weeks ago who claimed a lot of Intune experience and then said you couldn't use it to deploy Wi-Fi profiles so they'd have to touch 60 laptops

That's one of the easiest things to do in intune lol

Time to put intune architect on my resume if that's the standard by which I'll be judged

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone else really hate KVMs?

Like I hate speccing them out, I hate setting them up, I hate troubleshooting bad connections.

That said anyone have any recommendations for a simple KVMoIP solution? Like 2 servers and 4 workstations total. Video and USB is all I need

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

skipdogg posted:

I never worry about being unemployed. I know I could be working somewhere in less than a month. Finding a job that pays as well, or has the same benefits, or overall working environment, now that might be tough.

edit: Yeah Okta for internal corp stuff. Customer Auth is a completely separate system I don't have much insight to.

There are some interesting challenges on that side of things, especially with our customer base. There is a non zero number of customers that don't have smartphones, and we get a surprising amount of pushback when we do try to make things more secure, because a certain demographic sees it as inconvenient. You can read between the lines on those statements. Personally I bank with a local credit union.

I have a feeling most of Okta's budget goes to shipping random vendor trash to companies. We don't use them at work they ship 3-4 boxes of crap a year to various managers.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

skipdogg posted:

we get a surprising amount of pushback when we do try to make things more secure, because a certain demographic sees it as inconvenient.
Our software abides by a whole pile of strict security standards and regulations and every single new requirement we've added has been met with annoyed screeching from a small subset of clients. Even though this stuff required for some of them to pass audits, some people would rather save a few precious seconds and be vulnerable.

We used to have a much looser policy about what security requirements could be enabled on a per-client basis. Turns out some people were just turning everything off, so we had to walk that back. Fortunately, CMMC rolled around right when we decided to start locking things down, so we could blame it when making changes to protect clients from themselves.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

App13 posted:

Anyone else really hate KVMs?

Like I hate speccing them out, I hate setting them up, I hate troubleshooting bad connections.

That said anyone have any recommendations for a simple KVMoIP solution? Like 2 servers and 4 workstations total. Video and USB is all I need

DRAC

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I love how I get a longer notice on who is being laid off than I do the start date on a new higher.

At least they are waiting until the start of the month so they’ll still have another month of insurance. What a horrible time of the year for it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Wow. That person must have been a master bullshitter to get through the interview.

Sometimes interviewers are just terrible at getting the information they should want, I got fired from a job last year for not having mid-level AWS experience. All they asked me was about different acronyms and what the services were for.

Cyks posted:

I love how I get a longer notice on who is being laid off than I do the start date on a new higher.

At least they are waiting until the start of the month so they’ll still have another month of insurance. What a horrible time of the year for it.

I get insurance through the 31st, at least, and have low expenses so I can live off unemployment especially with the amount that they allow you to add from my part-time side job. Also the place where I have my (non-IT) side job might be hiring for an "IT Director" which has all of one person reporting to them. The pay wouldn't be great, but it should be an easy job from what I see.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 1, 2023

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MJP posted:

If I'm a cloud engineer, and if I'm OK with the work I'm doing, is it a bad thing if I don't want to be a cloud architect?

I don't know if I'm setting myself up to be 50 and unemployable because I didn't want to move up vertically, but honestly the more I look at what architects do, the less I see it as "sweet, an opportunity to not have to code as much" and more of "I don't mind if I have to talk to the occasional end-user or non-tech colleague but I don't want to be responsible for a sale not happening because I talk fast and very New Jersey"

Cloud architecture without writing code day to day is a useless if not actively harmful role in a company. I would rather hire an engineer who writes code over an architect huffing their own cloud-to-butt farts any day.

The market agrees with me, for what it’s worth. You’ll notice vastly, vastly more senior/staff software/platform engineering roles than architecture roles. System design is important obviously, and tested in interviews, but you still need to know what data structure is to be effective at the system design part.

Edit:
Charity Majors, as always, says it better than I ever could:

https://charity.wtf/2023/03/09/architects-anti-patterns-and-organizational-fuckery/amp/

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 1, 2023

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The Iron Rose posted:

Cloud architecture without writing code day to day is a useless if not actively harmful role in a company. I would rather hire an engineer who writes code over an architect huffing their own cloud-to-butt farts any day.

The market agrees with me, for what it’s worth. You’ll notice vastly, vastly more senior/staff software/platform engineering roles than architecture roles. System design is important obviously, and tested in interviews, but you still need to know what data structure is to be effective at the system design part.

Edit:

https://charity.wtf/2023/03/09/architects-anti-patterns-and-organizational-fuckery/amp/

I don't write code every day, am I useless?

e: this is a loaded question and everyone is gonna say yes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

jaegerx posted:

I don't write code every day, am I useless?

e: this is a loaded question and everyone is gonna say yes.

yes

also code is code no matter how Turing complete its language

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I think architects should be expected to understand the product they are architecting, I also think that for anyone to be elevated to the level of architect it should be expected that this understanding does not require hours of actual coding or engineering work because otherwise they should be in another line of fuckin work

put another way; a good architect is someone that can look at a codebase or product and be like "ok, I get what's happening here" - ask the right questions, prioritize the right things, and negotiate with the business successfully.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I missed this thread. Been super busy between work, a 2 year old, and prepping for kid #2 thats due in a few months.

I've been busting my rear end more than I want to at work, but I get to look forward to a glorious 3 months of paternity leave coming up. I think I am going to make an effort to get honest to god decent at python with some of my time. I had to write a babys first python script for a lambda I was working on and it took me way longer than it should have.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welcome back! A 2 year old and another on the way... good luck goon friend! I have no idea how parents do it. Y'all are super human.

I don't understand anything and don't code. Who knows?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Imagine being an operations manager for a tiny 3 tech MSP, going on a week-long vacation to St. John, then logging into Connectwise at 9PM EST to manually go through your technicians' tickets so you can scold them in teams for doing their jobs. Well, imagine no more.

One of several against each several employees.

Nothing crazy, just a typical micromanager that's starting to show her rear end.

Imagine being on vacation in St. John’s and messaging at 930p (wouldn’t that be like 1130p local time there?) — I’d raise some hell about 9pm non-turbo emergency teams messages being unacceptable

You handled it well though

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

tehinternet posted:

Imagine being on vacation in St. John’s and messaging at 930p (wouldn’t that be like 1130p local time there?) — I’d raise some hell about 9pm non-turbo emergency teams messages being unacceptable

You handled it well though

Best part is, as long as my next two rounds of interviews go well, I'll have a new job doing less work with double the salary by the end of the week. Wish me luck!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Best part is, as long as my next two rounds of interviews go well, I'll have a new job doing less work with double the salary by the end of the week. Wish me luck!

Hell yeah, get after it

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah we absolutely tried because simply having the headcount would have been useful even if they were only half competent, dropping links to documentation and blog posts in the chat etc. They said they tried all that but it wouldn't work, audit logs showed no changes had been made at all.

I can cover for a lot if people are going through stuff or whatever but don't lie to me because I am not prepared to tell the guys above me that the audit logs shouldn't be believed.

I passive voiced the gently caress out of a SOD breach in an email to audit. Alas, they wanted to know who actually did the deed outside of controls.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Welcome back! A 2 year old and another on the way... good luck goon friend! I have no idea how parents do it. Y'all are super human.

I don't understand anything and don't code. Who knows?

Yeah I feel like I've reached my technical apex without getting any better at coding. Copying/pasting/modifying existing poo poo can only get me so far. Which is decently far actually, Fail upwards folks!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm barely good enough to fake being good enough, and I don't code.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
I got some recruiter spam the other day that was different than the usual 6 month contract-to-hire crap I usually get that I thought the thread would find amusing:

quote:

Good afternoon

My name is Lucas and I'm a Recruiter with Anduril. I am currently partnering with our Chief Information Security Officer to hire a Senior IT Systems Administrator based in Reston, VA.
This is a mission critical role for us as this hire will have full ownership of our Classified Program (FSP required)!
Your systems experience would be a huge help to us and would love an opportunity to connect with you and answer any questions you might have on us or the role.

I've included our job description for your review - https://jobs.lever.co/anduril/b6b4fe12-df65-47c4-980b-ef063965f030

Here’s a quick overview of Anduril.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq9Mj5eMpBw&ab_channel=Freethink

-Anduril (Orange County based) is taking a product first approach to creating innovative technology by using ML and AI to disrupt the Defense space.
-Anduril was founded in 2017, and we've already reached a $8 Billion dollar valuation.

-In our first 2 years, we have products in the field with customers and continue to expand in the US and internationally.

(Continues with more self-congratulating BS)

My first thought was "Who the hell is Anduril, never heard of them". Then I saw the youtube video.

Oh hell no. Screw that right-wing doughboy 6 ways from Sunday. Half tempted to respond to the recruiter saying I'd never work for an organization that involves Palmer Lucky but I'm more happy to let the credits he wasted on an InMail disappear into the void.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

For all the ways Intune is incredibly annoying, stuff like this is exactly what its great at. I wonder what part of Intune they thought they were good at?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

eonwe posted:

For all the ways Intune is incredibly annoying, stuff like this is exactly what its great at. I wonder what part of Intune they thought they were good at?

Also, if I was asked to do it and didn’t know how, why didn’t this person just google if Intune was capable of it? I haven’t googled it yet but I am assuming the answer and strategy is not difficult to google, am I wrong?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Inner Light posted:

Also, if I was asked to do it and didn’t know how, why didn’t this person just google if Intune was capable of it? I haven’t googled it yet but I am assuming the answer and strategy is not difficult to google, am I wrong?

I Googled it and a step by step guide was the first answer.

bru
May 7, 2006

pampering lifes complexity
Had and seen some good advice in this thread before, hoping for some more here.

I've been offered an internal position in another team which I'm seconded to which I've accepted. The hiring manager has asked me how much of a pay bump I'd like.

I wasn't expecting that question, I'd assumed any rise would be a token amount given it's an internal move at the same grade.

Given I have no idea what the pay range is for my band (and frankly I don't think the company know either) I'm totally unsure of what to say. 10% feels in line with market rates, 15% doesn't feel unreasonable given I'm an easy hire for them (they know me, I know them and I know the company) while 20% feels pushing I don't think it's unreasonable either, they'll only say no.

Any advice?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
If Corp really doesn't have a band established, then pull data from the wider world to establish some upper and lower bounds. With that in hand, you want to target the upper range because you already know the people and the processes involved. You're immediately productive in the role. Adjust for location, industry, anything else that feels relevant. But start from data.

If it's a large corp, I'd be very surprised if they don't have a band established. A smaller org may not, especially if you're the first person at that level.

This is all filtered through the lens of working in Fortune 500/10k+ headcount corporations for the last decade, so YMMV.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

It's an incredibly edge case but if you have wpa3 ssids, intune will fail to correctly provision profiles. We had to downgrade all managed profiles and it strongly pissed off infosec(which first demanded to use semi manual setups using proactive remediation before relenting on downgrade the wpa security).

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

I think architects should be expected to understand the product they are architecting, I also think that for anyone to be elevated to the level of architect it should be expected that this understanding does not require hours of actual coding or engineering work because otherwise they should be in another line of fuckin work

put another way; a good architect is someone that can look at a codebase or product and be like "ok, I get what's happening here" - ask the right questions, prioritize the right things, and negotiate with the business successfully.

That's actually a very worthwhile point to consider. I'm trying to code less and futz more (or at least keep my code to Terraform and if held at gunpoint, ARM templates), but at least learn more coding as I go and as use cases dictate. If I can't look at a codebase and understand it, I'd be a lousy architect from the start.

As long as I can stick it out as an engineer or something like it for the next 14ish years, and stay relevant as whatever replaces ~*~the cloud~*~ comes upward, I can keep on keeping on.

Edit: the article is very good reading, and I agree with a lot of the points she makes - the idea being that an engineer can also do architecture, and engineers should drive decisions on how architecture should look rather than someone who doesn't have to actually design/build/support it. lovely infrastructure becomes less lovely when the person who makes it lovely has to get the 3 AM call every day because they insisted on foo instead of bar. One thing about that article instantly made me reach for my metaphorical gun:

Someone in the Charity Majors article posted:

never stop coding

gently caress you, gently caress the "everyone should code!!! everyone can code!!! code is life code is everything!!!" mindset. "everyone should code" is the same thing as saying "a monkey wrench is the only tool you ever need for anything!" and then you wonder why it's so hard to hammer a nail in, maybe the monkey wrench should be modified so include a hammerhead

IT is not the tech industry

Rant over

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 1, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Iron Rose posted:

Edit:

Totally depends on the company. If you’re designing multicloud solutions across tons of business units the odds you’ll even have time to get your hands on a keyboard is slim. If you’re part of an old school F100 org you might still be doing lots of click ops and generally loving poo poo up and being a clueless blocker.

If you’re working at a place with a strong desire to embrace platform engineering, is actively working towards making the platform a better product every day by really working with the stakeholders, have democratized both design and operations, you are going to get eaten alive trying to ‘architect’. You are going to have to be the alpha tech person and you need to be one of the (if not the) best with the IAC de jure. You don’t get to sit back and draw up designs that exist in a vacuum and attend CABs to say smartass stuff about how XYZ thing shouldn’t be implemented or completely misunderstand/misrepresent what a technology does while drawing up designs like architects of old.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!
Coding is not necessarily always Programming.

A lot of the PTSD driven reactions seem to rise from the idea of "Everyone should know how to program an application from scratch"

Take that idea compared to the more sensible "Everyone should learn how to automate and abstract away routine/complex problems so they can improve their own efficiency"

Learning a bit of scripting or some new automation may take your routine, eight hour a day effort and turn it into a Jetson's-like pushbutton future where you spend more of your day improving yourself and your environment, instead of consistently fighting fires.

"Everyone should learn how to code" is unfortunately vague in its specific message simply due to the sheer number of avenues available to a technology professional.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

kuarduck posted:

Take that idea compared to the more sensible "Everyone should learn how to automate and abstract away routine/complex problems so they can improve their own efficiency"

Learning a bit of scripting or some new automation may take your routine, eight hour a day effort and turn it into a Jetson's-like pushbutton future where you spend more of your day improving yourself and your environment, instead of consistently fighting fires.

:hai:

I have zero interest in software development but I love scripting and automating tasks. I try to mentor some of the less experienced people I work with, mainly to show what is possible with a little bit effort in better learning the tools available.

Same goes for Excel.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

MJP posted:

That's actually a very worthwhile point to consider. I'm trying to code less and futz more (or at least keep my code to Terraform and if held at gunpoint, ARM templates), but at least learn more coding as I go and as use cases dictate. If I can't look at a codebase and understand it, I'd be a lousy architect from the start.

As long as I can stick it out as an engineer or something like it for the next 14ish years, and stay relevant as whatever replaces ~*~the cloud~*~ comes upward, I can keep on keeping on.

Edit: the article is very good reading, and I agree with a lot of the points she makes - the idea being that an engineer can also do architecture, and engineers should drive decisions on how architecture should look rather than someone who doesn't have to actually design/build/support it. lovely infrastructure becomes less lovely when the person who makes it lovely has to get the 3 AM call every day because they insisted on foo instead of bar. One thing about that article instantly made me reach for my metaphorical gun:

gently caress you, gently caress the "everyone should code!!! everyone can code!!! code is life code is everything!!!" mindset. "everyone should code" is the same thing as saying "a monkey wrench is the only tool you ever need for anything!" and then you wonder why it's so hard to hammer a nail in, maybe the monkey wrench should be modified so include a hammerhead

Rant over

I don’t think it’s “everyone should code”. I think the assertion is that the best technology workers tend to be people who are comfortable coding.

IT is not the tech industry, that’s entirely correct. I started in IT doing helpdesk/sysadmin grunt work though, and let me tell you: the field is a world of small budgets and small managers (obvs some exceptions apply), desperately in need of better technology workers and better technology practices. There’s a lot of overlap too, and the demands asked of technology workers will only continue to rise. Ultimately, I think the assertion that you need to code to get to the most well compensating job levels and achieve the maximal impact within your job is objectively correct.

That’s not me saying everyone must do this. A job’s a job, and it’s reasonable to just want to not learn new things and earn a paycheck. That doesn’t make you a morally bad person, and depending on who depends on you, you might well have a lot more important things to deal with in life other than optimizing your engineering practices.

But for me, I’m a technologist. For myself, and I suspect for Charity, and for many others, I consider work I do my craft, not just a means to make money. I derive passion and satisfaction in life out of constantly improving that craft, it brings me joy to do it well, and conveniently the market tends to reward being as close to the pinnacle of your craft as possible, regardless of field or industry sector. And so when Charity or I talk about being successful and effective at your role, I would interpret that as “being as good as possible”.

Therefore, beyond craft, there’s an economic reason to encourage coding as well. If you want to be the classic sysadmin greybeard doing clickops and powershell till retirement, you can certainly still find a lot of jobs doing that - even in the cloud! But I suspect there will be fewer of those roles as time goes on, they will absolutely be less well compensated, and you also won’t be as good at it. And that’s okay.

This philosophy isn’t new. Even when I started in the field back in 2016 it was very much understood that knowing to code, at least enough to automate, was non-optional past the helpdesk level.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 1, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

tehinternet posted:

Hell yeah, get after it

Hell yeah, got it! Waiting on the final offer, and I'm doubling my salary.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:toot:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

:toot:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Congrats!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

kuarduck posted:

A lot of the PTSD driven reactions seem to rise from the idea of "Everyone should know how to program an application from scratch"

"Everyone should learn how to code" is unfortunately vague in its specific message simply due to the sheer number of avenues available to a technology professional.

Disagree. This is coding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know markup, as long as there's a little quick reference guide in the text box.