Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Enjoying Pumpkin Boy so far.

His Divine Shadow posted:

GREAT makes me feel sad and depressed mostly.

The future teaches you to be alone, GREAT to be afraid and cold.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 25: Nobunaga On My Mind

Not sure how sincere you're being in your argument to Kiyohide, Sasuke. Not sure at all.

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 20: Of Shinobu

Something that's stuck with me since the first time I read JTP - it's really interesting how one becomes a tengu in this work. There's no bite, no ritual, no pact, no education, you just grab kids and as they hang out with you eventually they become tengu too. It's an original idea, and the author works the ambiguity of the situation well, except for Hirai being such a creep about Yukina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I can't stop reading Great at this point, but I'm desperately hoping it ends soon. Also, I can't help but notice KC Green's cultists seem to be just the anime club aged up and given new names.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I really like Hyuge Mono, but now that it's into the GoT intrigue stuff, I'm constantly losing track of who is who, and the significance of the allegiances and stuff. It's definitely not a problem with the comic, everyone looks very distinct, it's maybe a combo of my poor familiarity with the real history, and reading it a few pages at a time being not super conducive to remembering each guy and his deal as they rotate in and out of the narrative.

I guess I should find a place to read it all at once rather than complaining, though!

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

rodbeard posted:

I can't stop reading Great at this point, but I'm desperately hoping it ends soon. Also, I can't help but notice KC Green's cultists seem to be just the anime club aged up and given new names.

Ditto on both points. Kit Walker really summed up why I'm struggling with Great and, personally, the constant sense of "nobody here is actually happy or at least won't be for long" over a series of this length is not for me. I'll keep reading it out of grim curiosity but it's not something I'll ever go back to. I remember really liking Minus though when it was coming out! Would be interesting to see how that holds up.

With the cultists, I definitely thought, "Wait am I an idiot for not noticing this anime club thing before now?"

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

mycatscrimes posted:

I really like Hyuge Mono, but now that it's into the GoT intrigue stuff, I'm constantly losing track of who is who, and the significance of the allegiances and stuff. It's definitely not a problem with the comic, everyone looks very distinct, it's maybe a combo of my poor familiarity with the real history, and reading it a few pages at a time being not super conducive to remembering each guy and his deal as they rotate in and out of the narrative.

I guess I should find a place to read it all at once rather than complaining, though!

I think it's expecting a certain baseline knowledge of Japanese history just as a consequence of being a Japanese comic written for the Japanese audience, dealing with one of the most famous events (at this point, anyway) in Japanese history.

The gist of things right now is that Akechi (surly looking kinda stout guy) has just topped his boss and is trying to go for the big seat himself. He's taken the capital, but is having trouble gathering allies. Meanwhile, Hashiba (thin faced tanned guy), having secretly planned for just this situation, is having a lot more success doing the same: a bit of flattery got Sasuke on side, which meant that Sasuke persuaded his much more powerful brother-in-law Nakagawa Kiyohide (thin faced guy with pointy moustache and great cheekbones) into backing Hashiba. He's also working on other lords based around the capital. We're building up to a throwdown between Akechi and Hashiba: they were both lieutenants of the big man, but Hashiba is planning to parley being the avenger of Nobunaga into being the top guy even though there are a couple other generals who might have a claim - but they're not in the perfect position to Do Something, are they?

Anyway, you can gorge yourself on Hyouge Mono here:
https://mangadex.org/title/408b1018-bb00-4384-a6f1-d72492ebc29a/hyouge-mono

rodbeard posted:

!!!

Edit: Man, Mort's really matured some, huh?

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Nov 1, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
!
Thanks for both the link and the refresher on what Hashiba's deal is! Yeah it definitely does write for an audience familiar with the history, but that's just natural for what the story is, I wouldn't expect otherwise. It's a good opportunity to learn. :)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

rodbeard posted:

Also, I can't help but notice KC Green's cultists seem to be just the anime club aged up and given new names.

What!

mycatscrimes posted:

Same, samity same! I really like it, but rarely have any idea what's actually happening. So many excellent faces.

Anywho, speaking of aesthetic masterpieces, it's time for Department of Misc.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Last time a comic was disquieting someone narrowed ir down to the noses being in the wrong place so someone please do the needful edits on great

You mean like this?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Department of Misc is one of my favorite kinds of chaos.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

strongly executed beginning middle and end on this page. loved it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fantomius

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Thanks! Yeah, 17 is probably my favorite overall, with the possible exception of "Persephone Lasertag Jones." The art looks better when I just relax. Almost makes me want to redo the whole thing from the start, but that way lies madness.
(I really appreciate how the thread tolerates these experiments. I guess I'm trying to find a kind of middle ground- how good can a comic get without it having to be someone's actual career?)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hempuli posted:

As I said before, it's interesting to hear these views on GREAT, since I can't fully relate to some of the feelings people are having about it. I was worrying a bit that the previous comments implied that people weren't really interested in seeing more of it, so it's good to know that that's not the case, though!

I think this take makes the most sense to me with regards to the concerning atmosphere people are getting from the comic.

GREAT
by Ryan Armand

:smith:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Tree Bucket posted:

What!

Same, samity same! I really like it, but rarely have any idea what's actually happening. So many excellent faces.

Anywho, speaking of aesthetic masterpieces, it's time for Department of Misc.

yesssssssssssssssss

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Giant Ethicist posted:

I was about to comment something to the effect of: No, thank God. Even a lot of schools are sort of phasing them out.

Missed this earlier - the slacker contingent finally win out, then? I know anime gives you a distorted image, but sports days seemed like a pretty big deal in schools?

Cooking Papa - Cook 9: Let's Try to Make Hakata-Style Tonkotsu Ramen!

I'm not sure what distinguishes Hakata ramen from everyone else's, but I used to eat at a restaurant called Ippudo that marketed itself with that style when I lived in China. I don't know how well the chain is regarded, but I liked it a lot. I just looked them up now and holy poo poo, they've got locations in New Zealand now! I better go get some this weekend.

Anyway, bonus comic because Halloween and it just updated - I present to you Malky Dungeon: Coorse Weys

Ever wanted to see Niles and Frasier being used as a golf ball by undead Britons?

https://x.com/MalkyDungeon/status/1719429067961737326?s=20

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Emzedoh posted:

Cooking Papa - Cook 9: Let's Try to Make Hakata-Style Tonkotsu Ramen!

i think it got mentioned upthread but lol, bartley scanlation with the self-insert of bartley, the massively incompetent character

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

六朝怪谈 (Spitting on Ghosts)

A GIRL'S HORSE

Moral: ....if you skin the creepy guy your daughter promised to date, maybe.... don't make it part of your furnishing............

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I'm not sure what I was expecting to happen to the horse-husband, but uh. That was a thing alright. Is David Cronenberg still making movies? This might be up his alleyway a bit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think it got mentioned upthread but lol, bartley scanlation with the self-insert of bartley, the massively incompetent character

Self deprecating humour is a hell of a drug.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

A lot of these Chinese legends seem to be women = spooky???!??!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I should also mote that the "pumpkin" nickname is purely invented by the translator, the actual words are just "daughter". Anyway, happy belated halloween! 🎃

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
Hello here's Vigils for Friends #300. Thanks once again to this thread and the people within it who have read the comic. More soon probably!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Spirit Circle

They're not sending their best, folks

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Pride of Pumpkin Boy

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Samovar posted:

A lot of these Chinese legends seem to be women = spooky???!??!

To be fair this is pretty cross cultural lol

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Oct 31-Nov 7, 1943)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Bugle Call: The Battle of Cannoughly Castle Part 2

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Owl at Home posted:

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Oct 31-Nov 7, 1943)

I feel like this poor dude is getting gaslighted in a major way.
I haven't read any of the other Prince Valiant comics, so I am just going to assume that he's an innocent person who just happened to draw the ire of a cunning woman.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I fuckin love Ingrid so much. Prince Valiant is a comic with a lot of amazing powerful women in it. Sometimes they get spanked but theyre still amazing.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"Hmm... my widower dad has tons of hot babes hanging around in his castle. Must be because of me!"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A sweet ending!

These characters are from a long-running comic Joe made way back (long before Clown Corps). He did a big retrospective about it on his Patreon, mostly to avoid people actually reading it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

SavoyTruffle posted:

Hello here's Vigils for Friends #300. Thanks once again to this thread and the people within it who have read the comic. More soon probably!

Looking forward to 'em!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I chuckled at the cereal box but I think the premise works better as a standalone one panel gag, the rest of it feels like it's explaining a joke.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I got a laugh but it is a bit overdone for a PBF comic. Maybe they got tired of people arguing about underexplained jokes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm. i don't get it. so the guy with the sword came to marry the guy eating cereal, but there was an accident?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
How and why would a cereal company include the One Ring as a prize? Or are they mass producing it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

How and why would a cereal company include the One Ring as a prize? Or are they mass producing it?

Only one of them is the real thing, that's the fun of opening the box!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think gollum ate the ring

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Captain Hygiene posted:

Only one of them is the real thing, that's the fun of opening the box!

Magic the Gathering did this and it tore the community apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Lame Selfie Bee

Dragon Bros