Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

havelock posted:

How long did it take? I got the general welcome and result reporting emails, but nothing confirming pax yet.

It took one hour for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

I remember when SARS-CoV-2 was said to mutate slowly...

Nota bene that this was always a stupid idea.

From what we knew of coronaviruses prior to the present pandemic, they evolved plenty fast enough to own us.

https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1494886577159356418

e: Tweet is from 2022, but paper is from 2019.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Oct 31, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

Nota bene that this was always a stupid idea.

From what we knew of coronaviruses prior to the present pandemic, they evolved plenty fast enough to own us.
(..)

I remember commenting at the time that the measure used appeared to be premised on chained iterations in vitro, instead of a branching web with a high R0 that was and is actually happening. It is exactly like the ":actually: x has a higher R0, so it is more contagious than SARS-CoV-2 Omicron", disregarding the time between iterations. Just minimizing the uniqueness at every turn.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wife just got her 4th negative test, on day 5 of symptoms. I know it's no guarantee but that makes me feel pretty confident that it's not covid. It's not fun having these symptoms but it's a huge relief to not be worried about being permanently disabled!

I still feel pretty much fine still, just have a little chest congestion. Not even sure if I'm sick yet, could just be explained by allergies and an extreme weather shift - I'll put myself through the same testing regime if my symptoms get any worse just to be extra sure. Thanks for talking me through everything thread :)

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Taffer posted:

Wife just got her 4th negative test, on day 5 of symptoms. I know it's no guarantee but that makes me feel pretty confident that it's not covid. It's not fun having these symptoms but it's a huge relief to not be worried about being permanently disabled!

I still feel pretty much fine still, just have a little chest congestion. Not even sure if I'm sick yet, could just be explained by allergies and an extreme weather shift - I'll put myself through the same testing regime if my symptoms get any worse just to be extra sure. Thanks for talking me through everything thread :)

Fingers crossed for you and Mrs Taffer.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
trending strongly towards the positive

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

fosborb posted:

lol the school vax clinic we've been waiting for today has COVID shots only for 12 to 18 year olds. this is at an elementary school

kids that get held back need extra protection

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

dxt posted:

I got my enrollment in test to treat email at 11:09am and my GoGoMeds confirmation email at 1:10pm.

Sometimes having a whole system built on grifting works out in your favor

Sorry if I missed it, but did you create your test2treat account a while back? I tried to create one but was denied :downs:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:rubby:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/britains-covid-inquiry-includes-trove-of-extremely-nsfw-evidence posted:

Britain’s COVID Inquiry Includes Trove of Extremely NSFW Evidence
‘USELESS F*CKPIGS’
The probe into how the U.K. handled the pandemic also revealed that Boris Johnson had once suggested COVID was “just nature’s way of dealing with old people.”

(..)
In Tuesday’s evidence, a lawyer for the inquiry showed passages from the 2020 diaries of Sir Patrick Vallance, the British government’s former chief scientific adviser. In one excerpt, Vallance wrote that Johnson was “obsessed with older people accepting their fate and letting the young get on with life and the economy going.”

“[Johnson] says his party ‘thinks the whole thing is pathetic and Covid is just nature’s way of dealing with old people—and I am not entirely sure I disagree with them,’” Vallance quoted Johnson as saying in another entry. In a third, written in December 2020, Vallance wrote: “Chief whip [a senior political official charged with maintaining party discipline] says ‘I think we should let the old people get it and protect others.’ PM says ‘a lot of my backbenchers think that and I must say I agree with them.’”
(..)
In another message to Lee Cain, Johnson’s Downing Street communications chief in March 2020, Cummings complained that Johnson was “back to Jaws mode wank,” the latter word being a British profanity which in this context means “nonsense.” “I’ve literally said same thing ten loving times and he still won’t absorb it,” Cummings added. Cain explained to the inquiry that the reference to Jaws was due to Johnson’s habit of speaking admirably of the mayor in the movie “who wanted to keep the beaches open” despite the threat to public health.
(..)

I remember the thread discussing the mayor in Jaws, but as a bad guy representing people like Boris Johnson. Guess that was much closer to the truth than imagined! lmao

Pingui has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Nov 1, 2023

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
nm

Why Am I So Tired has issued a correction as of 01:39 on Nov 1, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	716	 -1
Hosp.	21	 
pre:
Recent
Week	Cases	Change
Oct-22	1	+1
Oct-15	4	+1
Oct-08	2	
Oct-01	3	
pre:
Older
Month		Cases	Change
Sep 2023	9	+1
Aug 2023	1	
Jul 2023	1	
Jun 2023	2	+2
May 2023	0	
Apr 2023	7	+1
Mar 2023	6	+1
Feb 2023	9	+1
Jan 2023	15	+1
Dec 2022	13	+3
Nov 2022	19	+4
Oct 2022	23	+9
Sep 2022	134	+16
Aug 2022	260	
Jul 2022	190	
Jun 2022	16	
May 2022	1	
Incomplete	0	-42
WA State Mpox Dashboard

I'm starting to think someone can't decide what they want to do with those 42 Incomplete cases. A few times now they've been added and removed and added back in again. Ah well. Added two more for this month.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

quote:

‘USELESS F*CKPIGS’
The probe into how the U.K. handled the pandemic also revealed that Boris Johnson had once suggested COVID was “just nature’s way of dealing with old people.”
(..)
In Tuesday’s evidence, a lawyer for the inquiry showed passages from the 2020 diaries of Sir Patrick Vallance, the British government’s former chief scientific adviser. In one excerpt, Vallance wrote that Johnson was “obsessed with older people accepting their fate and letting the young get on with life and the economy going.”

“[Johnson] says his party ‘thinks the whole thing is pathetic and Covid is just nature’s way of dealing with old people—and I am not entirely sure I disagree with them,’” Vallance quoted Johnson as saying in another entry. In a third, written in December 2020, Vallance wrote: “Chief whip [a senior political official charged with maintaining party discipline] says ‘I think we should let the old people get it and protect others.’ PM says ‘a lot of my backbenchers think that and I must say I agree with them.’”

I remember the thread discussing the mayor in Jaws, but as a bad guy representing people like Boris Johnson. Guess that was much closer to the truth than imagined! lmao

Platystemon posted:

I wish I could celebrate the Prime Minister’s death. 😈

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
just a hunch but i hope it's true: are all of us who got it to work people who already got tests shipped from test2treat.com? maybe that's the trick. what if a separate process or interface gets triggered when you're asking for treatment for "their" test results from tests they already shipped you.

those who can't get it to work, try asking test2treat for free tests, if it will even let you make an account at all.

hopefully they didn't get so goonrushed that they just did a lockdown on new accounts forever.

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I just filled out the webforms. Apparently, a clinician will email me to confirm stuff and then hopefully send out the pax.

oh right, when i asked for "telehealth" there are three choices: do i want treatment over e-mail, phone, or video. i chose e-mail, obviously. but the thing is, i never saw any emails from them that weren't just automated, and i certainly never read them or interacted with them in any way. the "pax is on its way" message came anyway.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Does either a yes or a no on the longterm conditions form disqualify you from Paxlovid through test2treat?

the standard rules for pax sites apply, as in your health history must not contraindicate pax. no COVID symptoms that are already severe (shortness of breath, confusion) or any COVID for longer than 5 days. long term conditions should help, unless they are liver related. the form was quite long and i forget what all i said but there were a lot of fields. didn't they have a page for entering diagnoses and year of diagnosis? if that was this site then yeah i entered a lot and did not get disqualified.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Almost 7 hours post moth, no side effects yet.

Why Am I So Tired has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Nov 1, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hellequin posted:

Some of the responses honestly make me want to just cry because I've been pretty close to bed bound lately, and these loving freaks just harass and abuse. It just makes you feel more disbelieved, more helpless. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

Becoming disabled in America is pretty much a one way ticket to hell.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Covid Immunization law suit (self.legaladvice)

quote:

I was wondering if I can sue a hospital basically “selling” me the shot. I had an appointment at my hospital for a regular physical exam. I then was met with a lady walking around the hospital to give away the last shot. Now I didn’t know what to think so I said I will just take it since I am an agreeable person, but would have never gotten the shot on my own terms since I had covid and antibodies already. As I went through the process it seemed a little sketchy that they put the wrong dates on my immunization card as well. To me it seemed like they were trying to cover themselves in case of something (health or legal). I have since had heart palpitations and felt more stress from the vaccine and wish I had said no to the lady walking around. No other hospital will go around asking to give a flu shot or a tetanus shot. It worries me that there is something more to this and it has been on my mind a lot.

Now consider that this person is among the smartest seven percent of American adults.

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

Test 2 treat told me to get hosed too. I didn't sign up earlier like an idiot.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Pitcher Witcher posted:

Test 2 treat told me to get hosed too. I didn't sign up earlier like an idiot.

They want me to upload a 5 second video for patient verification now

I just signed up today

Debating on whether to go through with it or not

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My new job involves medical record aggregation and health care need suggestions / steering.

There is zero, none, absolutely no acknowledgment of Covid in any of our requirements.

The political machine shithoused that so hard that private industry will be pretending it never existed for the next fifty years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sick goons trying to get healthcare be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPwyyjtxlzU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

maxwellhill posted:

just a hunch but i hope it's true: are all of us who got it to work people who already got tests shipped from test2treat.com? maybe that's the trick. what if a separate process or interface gets triggered when you're asking for treatment for "their" test results from tests they already shipped you.

Nope

never registered for the tests I got there too late.

just straight up did what you said and (per their email) I've got pax on the way somewhere lol

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Jort Fortress posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but did you create your test2treat account a while back? I tried to create one but was denied :downs:

I created my account earlier today. Maybe it got goon rushed and they're denying people now?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I created mine yesterday and tests will be here tomorrow so I can find out whether this is the rona or some other bullshit respiratory illness. Been sick since Friday night, it hurts to swallow :(

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
LMAO reading about the test2treat stuff. They approved mine and are shipping it out. I am still fairly sick and taking my 5th day of the original course today, with no confidence that my doctors will get me another round tomorrow. I feel like they will want to see evidence of rebound before prescribing more. I did reach out and am hoping to get a full 15 days to maybe help with LC at the same time as Covid.

Speaking of, I currently have an unopened box from Yale that either has 15 days of Paxlovid or 15 days of ritonavir + placebo. I had to let them know I was on Paxlovid and they said there might be an opportunity for me to do the study in 2 months, but it's unclear what happens next.

Anyhow, I actually checked all my LC boxes which included shortness of breath and I still got approved. They did mention that I should consider going to the hospital and I checked a box recognizing that I saw that note.

Lol lmao

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Looking at the disparity in responses, and seeing what it asks for, the website REALLY doesn't ask too many questions that could be splitting the response, so I figure the most likely answers are that 1) the website's a little funky and random on the backend and may have periodic outages or hiccups where it blanket denies signups (in which case trying again later may work), 2) there's a regional component where some states have differing availability of services or telehealth requirements, or 3) it's an insurance thing, and the website might be more stringent if your insurance would provoke them to be.

It is, ironically, probably easier to get through the forms if you're uninsured if number 3 is a factor. Lucky Ducky strikes again :v:

Shady Amish Terror has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Nov 1, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lollin that the biggest hoard of paxlovid are the unused doses which will be returned to the manufacturer and destroyed

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

bedpan posted:

lollin that the biggest hoard of paxlovid are the unused doses which will be returned to the manufacturer and destroyed

~20 years ago I worked at a warehouse where the entire purpose was collecting expired drugs from regional pharmacies and sending them back to the manufacturer for destruction and chargeback. back then it was all Wellbutrin.

it's gotta be loving bizarre handling loving pallets of covid tests and Paxlovid today

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Looking at the disparity in responses, and seeing what it asks for, the website REALLY doesn't ask too many questions that could be splitting the response, so I figure the most likely answers are that 1) the website's a little funky and random on the backend and may have periodic outages or hiccups where it blanket denies signups (in which case trying again later may work), 2) there's a regional component where some states have differing availability of services or telehealth requirements, or 3) it's an insurance thing, and the website might be more stringent if your insurance would provoke them to be.

It is, ironically, probably easier to get through the forms if you're uninsured if number 3 is a factor. Lucky Ducky strikes again :v:

I think you're right. I am a dumbass and didn't know what medi-cal is so I put 'other' the first time. I should have said medic-aid. I got through now.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

covid news/views on all levels,

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 27, 2023

quote:

Letter to COVID-19 therapeutics manufacturers, distributors, pharmacies and the health care payer community.

To COVID-19 therapeutics manufacturers, distributors, pharmacies and the health care payer community:

We appreciate your strong partnership over the past three years in providing broad access to COVID-19 therapeutics. Together, we have distributed more than 28 million treatment courses of therapeutics. Your collaboration and dedication to this mission have enabled the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to deliver safe and effective medical countermeasures to the American public efficiently and equitably.

As we work together to transition the COVID-19 oral antiviral treatments from government distribution to traditional health care distribution channels, I am writing today to ask for ongoing partnership during and after this transition.

The COVID-19 response remains a significant public health priority for the Biden-Harris Administration. People are still at risk of infection and re-infection, and millions are experiencing the longer-term effects of the virus.

Recent studies suggest that oral antiviral treatments can reduce deaths and hospitalizations from COVID-19 by as much as 10-fold for people at high risk for progression to severe disease.1 These treatments include Paxlovid (nirmatrelvir co-packaged with ritonavir), a product that is FDA approved for the treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in adults who are at high-risk for progression to severe COVID-19, and Lagevrio (molnupiravir), a product that is available under Emergency Use Authorization. Lagevrio is authorized for the treatment of adults with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in patients who are at high risk for progression to severe disease and for whom alternative COVID-19 treatment options approved or authorized by FDA are not accessible or clinically appropriate. It is of paramount importance that these medications remain widely accessible to high-risk patients after commercial distribution begins in order to minimize hospitalizations and deaths from COVID-19.

This transition process will begin on November 1, 2023, when two manufacturers of oral antivirals, Pfizer and Merck, will begin to distribute product into traditional channels. As the federal government transitions away from distributing these products, access will primarily depend on the arrangements in the private commercial market among each of the particular drug manufacturers and private insurers. We urge the drug manufacturers and private insurers to work together to ensure access to these lifesaving medications—including those under Emergency Use Authorization—and share here our best understanding to date.2

For Paxlovid, during this transition and through the end of 2024, people who are uninsured and those who have Medicare or Medicaid coverage will continue to access Paxlovid with no out-of-pocket costs through Pfizer’s new patient assistance program. Federal entities such as the Indian Health Service, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Department of Defense will retain access to Federally-acquired Paxlovid, as they have accessed the product for the last two years. We expect that individuals with private insurance will continue to be able to access Paxlovid as coverage is established over the next few months. Pfizer has also stated that it is setting up a co-pay savings program for those with private insurance, which will be independent of the patient assistance program.

Lagevrio will also begin transition on November 1, 2023, as an option for eligible individuals who are unable to take Paxlovid or Veklury.3 Again, we expect there to be commercial coverage for Lagevrio as well, but for those who cannot afford the product, the Merck patient assistance program will be available to assist certain patients.

Over the coming weeks and months, manufacturers should work with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and other payors to make sure that such payors have the required information from the manufacturers to make payments for these therapeutics after commercial distribution begins.

The U.S. government (USG) remains committed to maximizing access to COVID-19 treatments through this transition. At this time, as products enter commercial distribution, we are encouraging all partners managing USG product to continue to use Federally-acquired product until it is depleted or until it expires, at no cost to patients.4 Distributors and health care providers may continue to order from the USG until November 10 for Lagevrio and December 15 for Paxlovid. Beyond these dates, all providers should ensure that they order sufficient commercial product after November 1 ahead of that transition. Based on lessons learned during the transition to commercial distribution for vaccines, we want to underscore the public health importance of reducing barriers to coverage however possible and urge you to consider any and all ways to reduce these barriers. It is critical to help members navigate insurance networks. If you encounter any operational problems that impede patient access to these treatments, we expect you to inform HHS immediately so the Department can facilitate collaboration across the health care landscape, as it has done before.

We also encourage individuals to work with their health care provider, pharmacy, and insurer to verify supply and coverage eligibility. This will be a complex task at a time when individuals are struggling with illness, and we ask all of these private sector entities to help people navigate as much as possible by sharing data.

Accurate and timely data will continue to be vital as we uphold our shared goal of facilitating equitable access to COVID-19 products. Throughout the pandemic response, HHS has used distribution and administration data to spotlight communities that have been left behind and enhance distribution efforts to maximize access to therapeutics. As ordering and distribution transitions to more traditional pathways, HHS asks our partners to find sustainable ways to enable continued visibility of the availability of therapeutics. Sharing of information with government partners is fundamental to maintaining our mutual commitment to equity.

HHS looks forward to continuing to build our relationship and working closely with you throughout and after the transition in the fourth quarter of 2023. Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Xavier Becerra

Endnotes

1 Nirmatrelvir or Molnupiravir Use and Severe Outcomes From Omicron Infections | Infectious Diseases | JAMA Network Open | JAMA Network

2 Paxlovid is FDA-approved for the treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in adults who are at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19, including hospitalization or death. The FDA-approved labeling for Paxlovid may be found at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2023/217188s000lbl.pdf - PDF

Paxlovid remains authorized for emergency use under EUA for the treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in certain pediatric patients. Information on the EUA for Paxlovid may be found at: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/emergency-preparedness-drugs/emergency-use-authorizations-drugs-and-non-vaccine-biological-products

3 https://www.fda.gov/media/155054/download

4 COVID-19 Therapeutics Commercialization Transition Guide | October 20, 2023 (hhs.gov)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if doctors that were previously hesistant to prescribe paxlovid before will now readily recommend it now that the pharma corps will make a butt gently caress ton from it now. Sales teams spinning up to move that product.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Let’s check in with the airline pilots.

quote:

121 pilots… How do you deal with illnesses during a trip? (self.flying)

My week of self grounding due to this bad cold that also resulted in loss of voice got me curious how you “big iron” pilots deal with it? Specifically when it happens mid trip.

For discussion, let’s start with this scenario…

The trip is 4 nights away from home. On night number 2, you arrive at the hotel with a scratchy throat. Before hitting the rack, you have a normal meal, take some vitamin C and a few ibuprofen. Lights are out at normal time.

When your alarm sounds so you can be ready for the van, you wake up to a bad head/chest cold symptoms including sinus congestion, slight fever and so forth.

I am aware you can notify crew scheduling of what’s happening so they can get someone for the flight.

But now that you are hundreds maybe thousands of miles away from home and likely no condition to travel for a while, how do the various logistical things feeding to remain at the hotel, eventually getting home, and more happen?

quote:

I pick up the phone and I call in sick. I don’t care where I am. If I’m not too bad off the airline deadheads me home. If I’m real bad off I stay in the hotel until I can deadhead home.

quote:

This is the answer guys. Don’t fly sick. No one cares, and if they do: you work for shitbags and should find a new job. Your fellow pilots that sit within arms reach of you while you’re coughing sneezing don’t want you there either.

quote:

"It's just allergies!" gently caress off you lying POS.

quote:

Also, if you are sick as hell and you get in the cockpit with me, I’m banging out sick immediately. Don’t loving ruin my week because you are worried about “logistics” of a giant 121 operation

quote:

You owe it to your other pilot(s) to call in sick. Don’t be that guy.

quote:

I got covid in Dubai. Company paid me to sit there for two weeks in a hotel. Food was covered. I got strep in SYD. Company paid for the hotel and then the ticket home after I got pumped full of meds. Part of doing business. Most places care more about you getting well and will do what they can to help you. You are worth a lot of money in the form of training costs...way more than it costs to hold you in a hotel or DH you home.

quote:

My body somehow just knows when it’s my days off and that’s when I get sick.

But for real, got sick twice this year from captains coming to work complaining about how their whole family is sick from the kids school and “it’s just that time of year” 🙄

quote:

Got stuck in a tiny town with COVID a couple years ago, that was fun. Company extended the hotel stay for me and checked in most days to see how I was doing, and people at the hotel were great. Got a deadhead back to base when I was good to go again. They know it happens and they take care of us. I’ve called off a couple times this year for stupid illnesses and I’m still on probation, I’ve had no issues. It’s just part of the gig.

quote:

Just cough and sneeze and then blame it on allergies and spread it around the pilot group…

quote:

My rule is if I have to take medicine I'm calling in sick. Just pick up the phone and book off, better than getting the whole crew sick

Well at least they’re doing better than teachers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

quote:

self-suffocate
Dear god, the drama

quote:

It can cause problems. At least the really good masks can. For about a year of the pandemic I suffered, without knowing what was going on, from pretty bad iron deficiency. I couldn’t take a shower, walk more than about a quarter mile, or stand for more than a few minutes without getting lightheaded. Good masks made all of this distinctly worse. Mostly I could still tolerate them (as I rarely had to exert myself while wearing one) but I remember in particular one time at a tour of the high school my kid was about to go to, having to let everyone else go ahead, sit down in the hallway, and take the mask off for a while in order to catch my breath. (It takes a little more effort to breathe through them. Nowadays since I’ve been treated, I don’t even notice, so I don’t blame healthy people for not being aware. But it absolutely can impact people who already struggle to draw breath due to lung issues, or like me back then who were very marginal on oxygenation to begin with.)

I’m not saying this person isn’t being a drama queen. I’m not saying that people who actually do have this kind of problem particularly need more concern and accommodations than already exist or could be worked out. But I want people to be aware, because I see too many people thinking it can’t be a problem for anybody, when it can.

quote:

Bro, I've had asthma for my whole lifr - 3 decades - and I was wearing n95s for 12 and 18 hr shifts as an RN in the hospital.

Anyone whining about a plain surgical mask is just being a weak, pathetic, whiny little bitch.

quote:

But most stores do offer accommodations. I am high risk due to a previous bout of NF that wrecked my immune system, so I got delivery, or pickup during the height of COVID. If you can't wear a mask, there are alternatives.

(I've had COVID 4 times. Still suffering COVID fog after the first time but generally it was just a bad week or two, thankfully, the other times)

quote:

Man why are these losers still whining about masks? I've been to the dentist, doctor, and hospital in the last two weeks and none even asked me to wear a mask. Only place that has is the nursing unit of the old folk's home.

:shepface:

I, too, have not been asked to wear a mask. This has been true for the entirety of the pandemic to date, and I think that you know why.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

one more success story for the pax hoard. Wife needs to see an endodontist and the one recommended by our (totally awesome respirator crew) dentist doesn’t do precautions so I figured I’d check in and see the latest pax scam. I never dreamed it would be so easy!

wife did it too, not sure if hers was successful, but I should know in a few hours. did the standard thing in the forms. many mild symptoms, no pax contraindications. I think I did mental illness, history of drug abuse, and immunocompromised for medical conditions. also checked private insurance and we live in Texas. No documentation required!

thanks goons! :glomp:

edit: oh, and neither of us has been to the test2treat website previously

TehSaurus has issued a correction as of 10:07 on Nov 1, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I have type 1 Diabetes, which is an immunosuppressive disease and a major major comorbidity for COVID meaning if I get it I probably die, so I could not risk my going out at all or coming into contact with -anyone- pre-vaccine. My doctors were VERY worried.

I am the dude in your neighborhood who is the loving first on line for those vaccines like I’m trying to get Taylor Swift tickets. COVID under Trump was like being in prison for me. Under Biden I’m back to a normal life.

EDIT: My kids school has 2500 students. By law they have to report COVID cases to us. We get an email- someone in the school has it, we are contacting people who may have been exposed. There were 3 or 4 cases this year with no fatalities.

quote:

My area has extremely high levels of vaccine uptake. People here took the pandemic very seriously.

I would probably feel differently if I lived somewhere where most people were vaccine skeptics or refused precautionary measures.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"EPA Testing Shows the Power of D-I-Y Air Filters to Trap Viruses"

https://today.uconn.edu/2023/10/epa-testing-shows-the-power-of-d-i-y-air-filters-to-trap-viruses/ posted:

The results are in: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency research testing of do-it-yourself ‘Corsi-Rosenthal Box’ indoor air filters shows they are 99% effective in removing airborne virus. The 'Owl Force One' device tested by the EPA was built by UConn Indoor Air Quality Initiative researchers with Middletown, Connecticut public school children.
(..)
In July, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency scientists began several weeks of advanced bioaerosol chamber testing to assess the efficacy and power of this air filter against infectious aerosols, like the virus that causes COVID-19. The results are in, and they are good.

The U.S. EPA Office of Research and Development’s 3,000 cubic ft. bioaerosol chamber testing results show that the CR box removes 97% of infectious aerosols in just 30 minutes, and 99.4% within 60 minutes. Importantly, the device successfully captures a surrogate virus for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

A team of EPA scientists led by Katherine Ratliff conducted the bioaerosol chamber testing of the CR box after testing more expensive air cleaning technologies throughout the pandemic.

“The study results are extremely exciting,” says EPA’s Ratliff. “These CR boxes really work. The Corsi-Rosenthal box works against infectious aerosols in the air. The results are really powerful. Three different sets of biochamber testing data show that these air filters reduce the amount of infectious virus in the air and capture both smaller and larger sized particles. CR boxes are more effective at reducing concentrations of infectious aerosols in indoor air than some of the more expensive technologies that we tested.”
(..)

Actual results (note the use of plague assay e.g. live virus):
"EPA ORD’s Corsi-Rosenthal Box Bioaerosol Testing Results"

Edit: It should be noted that the fan speed on the lowest setting (the Owl Force One) and on the highest (the EPA constructed ones) seems to be more or less the same. Which I think is something that should be dug into much, much more. It kinda makes sense, but also doesn't at all.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 12:32 on Nov 1, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1718482782119174332

:hmmrona: the upper right corner, just where you want it to be.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Pure psycho poo poo.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/covid-inquiry-uk-live-dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-b2439543.html posted:

Covid inquiry live: Helen MacNamara claims officials were ‘laughing at the Italians’ at start of pandemic
Former top civil servant Helen McNamara, who brought karaoke machine to Downing Street party, gives evidence to inquiry

Ministers and officials “laughed” at Italy as the country’s health system became overwhelmed by Covid at the start of the pandemic, a former top civil servant has told the Covid inquiry.

Helen McNamara, the former deputy cabinet secretary and ethics chief, is giving testimony on her role in government during the pandemic.
(..)

I suppose ethics aren't inherently good.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Pure psycho poo poo.

I suppose ethics aren't inherently good.
"That will never happen here, LOL"

goddamn do the people in charge have poo poo for brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Just a little psychic damage from the Musk thread to start your morning