Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

You can hold down the mind palace/writers room button for a second to go to the map on the gamepad as well.
This annoyed me. You need to check your map far more often than you need to go do Memory Palace stuff. Why is it the longer interaction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Inferior posted:

This annoyed me. You need to check your map far more often than you need to go do Memory Palace stuff. Why is it the longer interaction?

You just press the left side of the touchpad for the ps5 version. It’s nice when games remember the touchpad can be more than one button.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
When it comes to Lore I liked how Forspoken did some of it - all you need to know for the game itself is that the Tantas went crazy and since it's a Fisher Kingdom the world went nuts with them, but the lore things give extra unnecessary detail that help differentiate them, like the Tanta of Knowledge, Olas, used to be a teacher, big on Educating the populous of Athia, however, when she went mad she started hoarding knowledge, including using her magic to pull information from the minds of her citizens which harmed them mentally, severely. Hence her new name, no longer the Tanta of Knowledge, now the Tanta of Madness.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
For a game so happy to have a bad dice roll either screw you out of quest progression or just outright kill you, Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't autosave nearly enough, nor in any way consistently.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

At least in HZD you can get an item that gives you unlimited fast travel. I'd like the convenience there from the start, but I can see some reasoning in giving you some resources to hunt down to get that as a reward after a while of dealing with the limited system.

Then in Forbidden West fast travel is unlimited from the start of the game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been playing Gloomhaven and while it's a really neat adaptation of the boardgame, the boardgame makes it a lot easier to see at a glance what enemies are about to do when all their cards are laid out on the table. You have to constantly mouse over this and that in the PC version to see enemy actions and you never see them all at once. And they could easily have made a little room below the portraits in the top row. Careful planning and working around the AI's rules are a big part of the gameplay and this just makes it harder.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

But my wife hates calculating enemy and
Player damage in the board game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've tried a handful of Fallout 4 mods, mostly ways to increase the difficulty without just turning enemies into HP sponges that have special 1000 damage bullets. A lot of them mess with healing because its trivial to get a stock of stimpacks and just heal through all damage, while simply sleeping to heal any chip damage out of battle. And yeah, I can see where they're coming from. On the other hand, limiting healing to only doctors leads to a problem that these mods authors don't seem to realize:

1: You start at level 1. You don't have the skills or resources needed to get a doctor in one of your own settlements. Which is an issue because

2: Outside of just so happening to come across the one wandering doctor, all the doctors are nowhere near the northwest part of the map you start the game in. In one mod I got bedbugs for sleeping in an outdoor bed which constantly damaged me. The only way to heal damage was using rare resources I didn't have, or a doctor. The only way to cure the bed bugs was to find antibiotics. Or a doctor. So queue me having to desperately run my rear end all the way to diamond city, trying to speed through Piper's dialogue to get the drat gate to open so I can run to the doctor before the bed bugs killed me.

There was another situation where my leg got broken in a fight. So I had to just press the auto walk button, point my character towards a doctor and stare at my phone as my character limped along, praying that no hostiles spawned.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That mod sounds awful. Lethal bed bugs? Caught by sleeping outside? And cured by antibiotics? How is it always the games/mods that attempt to inject "realism" that manage to do the exact opposite and just have nonsense.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Now for something completely grounded in the realm of stark scientific fact: Morrowind's enchanting system is a headache. Every piece of clothing/armor has a limited amount of enchantment points available (sometimes pathetically low), and then each magical effect has its own specific point cost, and then on top of that there's a weird multiplication formula applied where adding multiple effects will double, triple, quadruple the point cost of preceding effects such that the order you apply them can completely change whether or not they'll fit. Plus additional fiddly things like if you want an item to simply cast a bespoke spell on command or for it to be a constant effect and the fact that Morrowind lets you make variable-strength effects for cheaper, leading to nonsense like making a pair of pants give you 1-10 health regen much more easily than a median static value and then equipping and unequipping them until the game randomly rolls the number you want.

And of course this is all done through an interface where you don't really get much info beyond the bare minimum. No way to preview how an item will actually perform, of course. And every spell effect has its own bespoke scaling. Is Jump 10 a lot or a little? Feather is linear, but technically raw Strength bonuses are better except when they're not. Argh.

This is all on top of the already awkward enough nuts and bolts of the enchanting system, which are more or less identical to Oblivion, where you have to play games soul trapping enemies to turn them into fuel for your magic items and you already need to know a spell with a given effect to then place it onto an item.

Aaand the actual Enchanting skill is basically broken in vanilla Morrowind such that making your own enchantments is almost impossible (the game rolls the dice and you can just fail at it; attempting anything of note receives giant penalties to success), with the only benefit then being that high enchant skill reduces the magic pool expenditure on the kinds of enchanted items that use a discrete pool. Also the only Master level Enchantment trainer in the entire game is a random dude in a random dungeon who hates your guts by default that you're much more likely to kill than puzzle out the various ways of turning him non-hostile.

The actual benefits of enchanting are, naturally, enormous and gamebreaking. But boy do I wish doing anything beyond slapping simple single stat enchantments onto gear was less of a trial and error process. The whole thing is an optimization puzzle and it constantly feels like I'm fighting against enchanting limits because certain effects are over-valued (and naturally, others are abusably under-costed). Sure, I don't *have* to perfectly fill up a 60 point piece of clothing with magic effects, but it feels bad to leave that potential on the table, y'know?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

That mod sounds awful. Lethal bed bugs? Caught by sleeping outside? And cured by antibiotics? How is it always the games/mods that attempt to inject "realism" that manage to do the exact opposite and just have nonsense.

The mechanic is actually in unmodded Fallout 4: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Character_condition#Illness

It's likely not from sleeping outside, because sleeping is when the game makes illness checks (so it would appear that you got it from sleeping even though the event that made you sick happens earlier.) Antibiotics can be found or made anywhere. Fallout 4 survival mode is actually considered quite good by many players, it's got just enough extra stuff to make survival mechanics matter without being too much. (A bed bug modded illness that can actually kill you instead of the standard infection which reduces health but can't kill you is a poo poo mod addition though.)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

John Murdoch posted:

Is the joke here that you think Survival difficulty is a mod? Because lethal bedbugs are a vanilla Survival thing (it's just a vague "infection" but bedbugs are as good a reason as any since you acquire it by sleeping in a bed). It also removes the console and makes you rest in a bed to save. You know, the same beds that have a chance to give you a fatal infection. Thankfully, there are mods that restore both the console and the ability to save the loving game. Survival mode as implemented by Bethesda was a pile of half-thought-out mechanics, much like the rest of Fallout 4.

Leal: there's a somewhat-close doctor in Covenant, the little walled enclave with turret guns and suspicious people. If you're using the Horizon mod, you can make bandages and stuff to heal, because most Stimpaks got turned into Adrenaline Boosters or something like that, and are mostly just used to revive your companions in combat. If you're not using the Horizon mod, you should consider it.

edit: oh, I guess I'm wrong about infections actually killing you in vanilla Survival - see post above mine. They just cause continual damage over time until cured.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Nov 1, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fifty Farts posted:

Is the joke here that you think Survival difficulty is a mod?

:psyduck: Leal literally said it was a mod. How is it somehow on me for taking their post at face value?

Fifty Farts posted:

(it's just a vague "infection" but bedbugs are as good a reason as any since you acquire it by sleeping in a bed)

Are these FEV-mutated bed bugs the size of your head? Because otherwise, no, I don't think they are.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Bed bugs are bugs the size of a bed

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morpheus posted:

Bed bugs are bugs the size of a bed

Mistakenly go to sleep on a bed, only for it to turn out to be a bed sized bug and you wake up having no idea where you are.

Sounds like the sort of thing that would happen in Kenshi or something.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

John Murdoch posted:

:psyduck: Leal literally said it was a mod. How is it somehow on me for taking their post at face value?

Are these FEV-mutated bed bugs the size of your head? Because otherwise, no, I don't think they are.

I was wrong about the lethal bedbugs from a mod and confused them with the vanilla infection, which damages but does not kill you. They both suck, don't get me wrong. The other diseases/conditions you can get (in vanilla at least) are much more tolerable - slower AP regen, need more food/water/sleep to satiate yourself, other stuff that doesn't actually cause hp drain if you can't cure it immediately.

Practically everything in Fallout is FEV-mutated, so I'm going to say "yes, they probably are." Why don't you see the headcrab-sized bedbugs in third-person view? Lazy cowardly modders, that's why.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to come off cantankerous about Fallout 4. The game's not good enough to get defensive about. :) I was (rudely, I admit) trying to clarify that there are diseases in vanilla Survival mode that hurt/kill you (and I was wrong about the killing part).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Nov 1, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Mistakenly go to sleep on a bed, only for it to turn out to be a bed sized bug and you wake up having no idea where you are.

Ah, those are bed bugs, bugs that are beds. Selective breeding makes for the fluffiest chitin.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

John Murdoch posted:

like drinking a Nukashine, then...

One of the Atom Shop base decorations you could buy was a punchbowl, which you could fill up with several beverages... Then if you built a camp near the Vault 76 spawn for lvl1 new players and created a nice little staged area, pointing PipBoy cardboard standees, some balloons & ribbon drapes, a table :mmmhmm:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah so bedbugs happened after I installed a mod that was supposed to make the survival mode better. Then the broken leg issue was when I was playing Horizon. To be fair to Horizon, it seems the creator acknowledged the absolute lack of doctors and put an auto-doc in Trudy's diner so you can actually heal yourself for the first few hours of game. Until I discovered that I would just allow myself to be killed if I was below half health because Horizon doesn't make you reload, instead it implies that some wanderers stumbled upon you and brought you back to a settlement and heals you up to half health.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Dawncaster (mobile roguelike deckbuilder) there's a mechanic where some cards are considered "Valuable", which means they either boost your end-of-run score if you keep them around or you can trade them in to a randomly appearing NPC named the collector. He'll give extra, unique rewards for some Valuable cards. At minimum he'll give you some cash and a healing potion for almost any card, at best he'll give you an immediate full heal + shitload of gold and/or a random Talent that you'd normally get at level-up. He'll basically tell you to gently caress off if you try giving him a corruption card that hurts you on-draw, which is kinda funny.

There's a lot of extremely specific interactions in the game that are semi-secret. One example, in Area 5 you can very specifically choose the right options in a guaranteed pre-boss event to skip the normal boss fight against a Cleric (whom you recruit afterward) to instead fight + potentially recruit the Succubus currently enthralling that Cleric. Then you can give that Succubus other NPCs to enthrall for free rewards :allears:

One of the random events in the game is the Golden Idol, which characters with high Dexterity/Intellect can grab if you disable its trap. If you trade that to the Collector, he'll rave about how wondrous it is (its got some kind of hypnotizing aura) and will give you Goldstrike, a weapon that will deal regular damage + 20% of your gold. At endgame gold amounts, as long as you aren't spending all the time, this can OHKO a ton of poo poo. It's incredibly valuable and unique. The collector will still be around in future areas, so you technically have the opportunity to give back, in his own words, his most valuable possession. He doesn't have unique dialogue, positive or negative, if you do. He just treats it like a valuable card, and you get a free random Talent. :effort:

bawk has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Nov 1, 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If it's not just me Astroneer seems like the most unintuitive game I have ever played that wasn't made out of ascii. I'm straight up baffled here. I feel like they went out of their way to make it impossible to know how stuff works. I don't think I've ever hit youtube faster to learn what the gently caress is going on.

If something needs to be plugged into something else to work, maybe indicate that in the tooltip? Why are all the menus icons instead of words? Or in addition to words. Either one. The control scheme and UI seem garbage. It's diegetic in the worst way. Just give me some nice menus with clean buttons and graphics and things.

I'm legitimately feeling a very unpleasant cognitive overload playing the start of this game. It's stressing me out.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Nov 1, 2023

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Phigs posted:

If it's not just me Astroneer seems like the most unintuitive game I have ever played that wasn't made out of ascii. I'm straight up baffled here. I feel like they went out of their way to make it impossible to know how stuff works. I don't think I've ever hit youtube faster to learn what the gently caress is going on.

If something needs to be plugged into something else to work, maybe indicate that in the tooltip? Why are all the menus icons instead of words? Or in addition to words. Either one. The control scheme and UI seem garbage. It's diegetic in the worst way. Just give me some nice menus with clean buttons and graphics and things.

I'm legitimately feeling a very unpleasant cognitive overload playing the start of this game. It's stressing me out.

I tried that on gamepass, first ever game where I had to google how to get through the tutorial. I couldn’t figure out how to get dirt or something.

I noped out pretty quick, it didn’t seem worth it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I want to say they actually redid the intro for the game and it's still dogshit

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I just finished Chained Echoes, and for the most part I really enjoyed the story and world building, but the last boss fight was set against this god-awful swirling background that made me just dizzy and queasy enough that I paid absolutely no attention the ending.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Honestly that just makes the game Morrowind

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

I tried that on gamepass, first ever game where I had to google how to get through the tutorial. I couldn’t figure out how to get dirt or something.

I noped out pretty quick, it didn’t seem worth it.

I honestly dont understand this complaint, to the point where I'm tempted to reinstall the game to go through the intro again to try to remember it, because I don't recall any issues.

Game's fun, if you're into that sort of crafting exploration game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This is either a complaint about Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance, and i dont know which games to blame. Symphony of the Night was the first Metroidvania and it loving nailed it in every sense, a wide range of weapons, abilities and interesting mechanics, then Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance came out and both just feel like such a large step backwards in every way. The areas aren't as interesting, the spell system in Circle of the Moon relied on rare drops that you weren't guaranteed to get even a single card combo all game, the bosses were less interesting... I will give them a pass on audio, because you went from CD to chip tune.

If you took someone who had never heard of these games, and told them to put them in the order of their release after playing them, I would guarantee 9 times out of 10 they would say Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance came before Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow came after.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly that just makes the game Morrowind

Drink the Nukashine, wake up on the back of a Silt-Strider halfway to Balmora.

TenTimesLessByOne
Aug 15, 2022

A Worrying Warlock posted:

The opposite is fun, too: which game had the most unexpected best lore? For me, the answer would have to be Starsiege. It's a great little mech game from the 90s, which starts off as Total Recall before taking a hard turn into Terminator territory. Imagine if the setting of The Expanse gets invaded by Skynet, and you're pretty close.
Absolutely loved Starsiege, especially the lore. They committed so hard to it, and it shines. The cybrid campaign, with names like Eats-Only-Heads and FirstThought\\Giver-of-Will, and objectives like Hurt/Maim/Kill, is delightfully over the top.

Mark Hamill as Bec Storm will always be yelling "Christ and Hunter!" in my heart.

I was excited for Tribes as a follow up, and enjoyed it, but was disappointed when they scrapped so much of the lore and eventually stopped being meaningfully connected to that universe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

This is either a complaint about Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance, and i dont know which games to blame. Symphony of the Night was the first Metroidvania and it loving nailed it in every sense, a wide range of weapons, abilities and interesting mechanics, then Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance came out and both just feel like such a large step backwards in every way. The areas aren't as interesting, the spell system in Circle of the Moon relied on rare drops that you weren't guaranteed to get even a single card combo all game, the bosses were less interesting... I will give them a pass on audio, because you went from CD to chip tune.

If you took someone who had never heard of these games, and told them to put them in the order of their release after playing them, I would guarantee 9 times out of 10 they would say Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance came before Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow came after.

Remember the system change between Symphony and Circle. Circle absolutely has problems with grinding, but it was mind-blowing back in 2001 or whatever to have a metroidvania like that as a launch title on the GBA. So yeah, less complexity, but on a much less powerful system, with less buttons for control, even. They packed a ton into that little cartridge.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

I honestly dont understand this complaint, to the point where I'm tempted to reinstall the game to go through the intro again to try to remember it, because I don't recall any issues.

I was playing on console, and it felt like a lot of the UI would be more accessible with a mouse. It's been a while, so I can't remember specifics, it was just really unclear on what you needed to do to access certain tools or materials, and what you were supposed to actually do with things after you'd collected them.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Morpheus posted:

I know what it is now. It's resin. But the fact that it's a semi-transparent vague shape instead of telling me it's resin is emblematic of why this game is confusing.

I'm slowly getting used to it, but it's an annoying barrier. It's like one of those board games that use symbols for everything so part of learning how to play the game is memorizing all the goddamn symbols and what they mean.

E: Wait no, it's not resin. I literally have no idea what it is or where to get it. Guess I'll go look it up... OH. Actually it's nothing, that's where the output goes. I just put in compound on the left and then press the green button and tethers get made on the right.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Nov 2, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

Remember the system change between Symphony and Circle. Circle absolutely has problems with grinding, but it was mind-blowing back in 2001 or whatever to have a metroidvania like that as a launch title on the GBA. So yeah, less complexity, but on a much less powerful system, with less buttons for control, even. They packed a ton into that little cartridge.

I dunno, Circle of the Moon just feels like too much of a step back, and the fatal flaws are more than just "Well, the GBA is a less powerful system than the Playstation". Harmony of Dissonance feels like a stripped down Symphony of the Night, while Circle of the Moon feels like the development team were waffling on whether to make it a Metroidvania game or a more traditional Castlevania game.

And then Aria of Sorrow comes out less than two years later and blows Symphony of the Night out of the water in almost every way, let alone CotM and HoD.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Randalor posted:

I dunno, Circle of the Moon just feels like too much of a step back, and the fatal flaws are more than just "Well, the GBA is a less powerful system than the Playstation". Harmony of Dissonance feels like a stripped down Symphony of the Night, while Circle of the Moon feels like the development team were waffling on whether to make it a Metroidvania game or a more traditional Castlevania game.

And then Aria of Sorrow comes out less than two years later and blows Symphony of the Night out of the water in almost every way, let alone CotM and HoD.

Circle of the Moon was developed by a different team than the "Igavania" team as they're now known, so that explains some of the weird disparities. The Circle team was playing from the Symphony handbook but weren't the progenitors, and again doing it on a handheld, so they kept the scope back a bit. Do a few things well instead of do everything kind of badly, you know?

Then Harmony of Dissonance was the Iga team's first major attempt to do Metroidvania again on another console, almost certainly with a significantly reduced budget and on a system that couldn't do as much/had to be portable. If you view it as their first project to make sure they have all the basics right it makes a lot more sense-- the colors are garish because they were figuring out what was readable on the GBA without backlight, the only major system is the color combo system because they had enough other stuff to get right (engine, physics, space limitations) without overcomplicating their project design.

And once that was settled and they felt confident, they expanded their scope with Aria of Sorrow and managed a much more solid hit.

Sucks that some projects are like that, but it happens in video games at big companies more than you'd think-- quite a lot of Nintendo's "lesser" projects like the New Super Mario Bros. in the early 2010s or the Link's Awakening Remake on the Switch make more sense when you think of them as grinding stones for relatively inexperienced/untested teams they eventually want to put on more demanding projects like a Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I get that the gameplay hooks of Armored Core 6's New Game+ is part 'introduce all your new toys to the early-game enemies' and partly 'experiment with different loadouts'...

But both of them kinda fall flat when you're like me and have had basically the same build since midgame or so, and have had no reason to try anything else because it already does everything you could want it to. Why should I be interested in trying other loadouts when all those other loadouts are just worse for me?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Phigs posted:

E: Wait no, it's not resin. I literally have no idea what it is or where to get it. Guess I'll go look it up... OH. Actually it's nothing, that's where the output goes. I just put in compound on the left and then press the green button and tethers get made on the right.

If you have the required resource for the backpack crafter, when you scroll to a recipe the material is automatically moved down. Most backpack things are compound or resin.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
All this GBA Castlevania talk just makes me realize how much I want to re-play the DS Castlevanias (yes, even Portrait of Ruin) but that would be, like, a $250-300 dollar investment to get a decent used 3DS or 2DS and used games.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

A game released on consoles and pc should have controller support on pc and when it doesn’t it makes my steam deck sad.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's all these Square-Enix mobile ports and none of the loving things have controller support! I'm not playing Dragon Quest or FFIV with ~virtual buttons~ :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

A game released on consoles and pc should have controller support on pc and when it doesn’t it makes my steam deck sad.

Doesn’t steam/the steam deck provide remapping support for that? Like you can set buttons to be mouse/keyboard inputs?