Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mojo1701a posted:

along with Bryan Callen

:smith: drat. I used to love him on MadTV.

Then again that kinda proves what I was getting at. Washed up comedians that are now very angry and probably blaming all of their misfortunes on everyone else but themselves.

Mo Collins is awesome. I hope Michael McDonald is doing ok. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's definitely comedians who are conservative, some of them are even funny (Norm MacDonald is my go-to example because he was one of the funniest people ever and was apparently conservative-ish), but they aren't really Conservative Comedians. To be a Conservative Comedian means you do Conservative Comedy, and that poo poo just loving sucks because it's just never ever funny.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Tim Allen has made a lot of money pandering to the Right. Jeff Dunham has been doing the same lovely act for almost 40 years. Larry the Cable Guy. Jeff Foxworthy. There are a lot of comedians who know their audience and just because you don't think they're funny, that doesn't mean no one finds them funny.

I don't think any of those names are funny, but I know people who do. Because they're idiots.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
When I still used Facebook there would be a surprisingly significant number of people who thought this Amiri King guy was the next George Carlin, but he sucked out loud.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I have no desire to see his stand up but Kelsey Grammer undeniably has comic timing and knows how deliver a comedic line, which puts him far, far above pretty much any other conservative comedian. Even if you ignore Cheers, and Frasier, His voice work for Sideshow Bob is just brilliantly delivered and clearly shows that.

Only one with better delivery I can think of is Norm MacDonald, who as already mention was comedian who had conservative views, not someone who seemed to ever call himself a conservative comedian.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think Grammer also kept his bullshit largely under wraps until that one show of his got cancelled a few years ago and then he picked up the "It's hard to be a conservatism in Hollywood" line that Tim Allen has been repeating despite being in two television shows that lasted ten years each, the Toy Story franchise, and the Santa Clause franchise.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
complaining bitterly to a sold-out crowd about how you got cancelled for showing your dick to people

that's conservative stand-up

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tim Allen is at least smart enough to never try stand-up again.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How about this for a framing

Who was the last comedian to do a full comedy set, be it a half hour or full hour, that is straight up conservative comedy and not just normal comedy from a conservative

And did it do any numbers?

A lot of that will be unanswerable because netflix doesn’t publish their viewership numbers, but for people talking about a comedy special, the only ones in the past few years that I have any awareness of is dave chappelle’s stuff, and it was all universally seen as demented anti-trans ranting and very few laughs

I just don’t think trying to come up with a full comedy set and the conservative worldview mesh

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There were plenty of people that saw Dave Chappelle's recent stuff as a return to form and brushed off any criticism, especially of his anti-trans bullshit, with "You can't go after royalty"

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Now that I think about it, Kirk Cameron's material makes me laugh every time I hear it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There were plenty of people that saw Dave Chappelle's recent stuff as a return to form and brushed off any criticism, especially of his anti-trans bullshit, with "You can't go after royalty"

I have yet to hear a single person actually say which jokes of his in those specials they liked

Even when pressed, they do not come back with things like “here’s your sign” from bill engvall bits or “i kill you” from that ventriloquist

I get the feeling they liked it because he said things they agreed with and maybe laughed at, but it wasn’t independently funny if you are not already a terf

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I agree with that, but earlier you said it was universally seen as demented anti-trans ranting and that's just not true. Plenty of chuds, regressives, TERFs, etc. found it "funny"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The thing about Bill Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy is that they tell harmless observational humor that picks up on the nuanced idiocy that we all have. The here's your sign and you might be a redneck jokes work because they're universal. Every culture ever has had people act in redneck ways and everyone can laugh at someone making a stupid decision because we're all potentially guilty of the same fault.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I agree with that, but earlier you said it was universally seen as demented anti-trans ranting and that's just not true. Plenty of chuds, regressives, TERFs, etc. found it "funny"

Fair point, I don’t want to be like elon and call them NPCs. I just never think of those folk as having valid opinions.

Edit: have a single one of those “Cancelled: TRUTHTELLER SPEAKS TRUTH” comedy specials by all the shittiest right wing converts actually gained any traction or are they all just playing to their crowds?

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 1, 2023

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's definitely comedians who are conservative, some of them are even funny (Norm MacDonald is my go-to example because he was one of the funniest people ever and was apparently conservative-ish), but they aren't really Conservative Comedians. To be a Conservative Comedian means you do Conservative Comedy, and that poo poo just loving sucks because it's just never ever funny.

I'll give Norm credit for being smart enough (and in general) that he didn't do things like trans jokes because he didn't want someone to take what he said the wrong way and use it as pretext to be awful to trans people.

Hell, this very point is mentioned in the Some More News video about the very topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSXKzPOcYDU

I think Grammer also kept his bullshit largely under wraps until that one show of his got cancelled a few years ago and then he picked up the "It's hard to be a conservatism in Hollywood" line that Tim Allen has been repeating despite being in two television shows that lasted ten years each, the Toy Story franchise, and the Santa Clause franchise.

I can't be the only one who remember his "Right Network" or whatever it was: https://www.youtube.com/@RightNetwork/videos

I really recommend Right to Laugh, a trailer showcasing right-wing stand-up comedy.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

If you take the bits of Lewis Black's sets that rip apart democrats and liberals out of context, it would be easy to mistake them as genuinely funny conservative comedy. So I guess that's as close as it gets for me.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

A lot of the aging comedians from this era - the 'man's man' comedians of the alternative era, who came up trained by the older comedy club type entertainers but who grew up during the comedy renaissance of the 90s - would probably be considered conservative or at least hopelessly centrist by modern standards, yeah. They're not 'conservative comedy' with a capital C capital C, but that's because the comedy they employed was beleaguered centrism, in order to appeal to the most possible, while also cementing them as 'both sides truthtellers' who see above the madness

like all of the poker bits in Louie are just painful and feature a lot of trying to empathize with these dudes dude style comedians who, while they aren't openly capital C conservative, their comedy still ends up serving conservative values and so they get popular in those circles - Nick DiPaulo, for example. that wasn't an overnight thing, his lovely mean comedy attracted the folks who like that sorta thing and he's garnered a following from people who love hearing some dumpy Italian guy complain about PC culture in a cartoon accent.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 1, 2023

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The thing about Bill Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy is that they tell harmless observational humor that picks up on the nuanced idiocy that we all have. The here's your sign and you might be a redneck jokes work because they're universal. Every culture ever has had people act in redneck ways and everyone can laugh at someone making a stupid decision because we're all potentially guilty of the same fault.

Yeah, Foxworthy is definitely not the funniest stand-up ever nor was he particularly gifted, but (as far as I know) he was never the mean-spirited type. And the cultural significance of "you might be a redneck" shouldn't be denied. It's overused and too often poorly parodied, but at the heart of it is a great bit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ashpanash posted:

Yeah, Foxworthy is definitely not the funniest stand-up ever nor was he particularly gifted, but (as far as I know) he was never the mean-spirited type. And the cultural significance of "you might be a redneck" shouldn't be denied. It's overused and too often poorly parodied, but at the heart of it is a great bit.

Some of the "You might be a redneck" lines were actually pretty genuinely funny. One was "If you've ever made change in the collection plate", which is just a delightful mental image.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Frank Frank posted:

Rogan, Gutfield!

Dennis miller, bill Maher!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I remember long ago before mp3 players and podcasts, my dad would put in Jeff Foxworthy CDs on long car rides. He also had a Robin Williams stand-up CD but we weren't allowed to listen to it because of all the bad language.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

dokmo posted:

Episode 222 of Grifthorse.

I went and listened to the crypto episode they did in 2021 out of curiousity, and after about 15 minutes of rambling they were like, "actually this is a gold rush and you should get in on it" lol

I'm sure all the people who got themselves embroiled in the total exchange collapses really appreciated that one :rolleyes:

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

mojo1701a posted:

I'll give Norm credit for being smart enough (and in general) that he didn't do things like trans jokes because he didn't want someone to take what he said the wrong way and use it as pretext to be awful to trans people.

hm. this does not seem particularly friendly towards trans people, in my opinion. seems like it might be kind of bad actually!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Best conservative comedy has to be Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister, and even then they had some stupidly silly episodes.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Some of the "You might be a redneck" lines were actually pretty genuinely funny. One was "If you've ever made change in the collection plate", which is just a delightful mental image.

He also said that his two year old was teaching him all kinds of things about the world. Things like, you can stuff a whole box of raisins in a VCR.

I always thought that was a good joke. Broken clock, etc

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

Best conservative comedy has to be Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister, and even then they had some stupidly silly episodes.

Does that make "the thick of it" Conservative comedy as well?
By the same metric, Little Britain is deffo conservative, with blackface and so on.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Samovar posted:

Err, well, Sir Humphrey is small-c not big-C conservative. Hacker is generally opposing him and while his party is never named if anything he comes over a bit centre left to me. I mean he wants to abolish nukes at one point. A modern Republican he definitely is not.

The Thick of It meanwhile is definitely Blair-era Labour and specifically Alastair Campbell.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Tough Crowd was funny "conservative" comedy, but only because Colin Quinn completely failed to control the narrative and Patrice O'Neal took over every show.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Sir Tonk posted:

Dennis miller, bill Maher!

Please don’t remind me that Dennis miller exists or hosted Monday Night Football at one point.

Also lol that Roseanne Barr went from being a crude body positive leftist loathed by the Bush Sr GOP who along with the Simpsons and Married with Children were totally going to cause the downfall of western society to whatever the gently caress she is now.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Frank Frank posted:

Also lol that Roseanne Barr went from being a crude body positive leftist loathed by the Bush Sr GOP who along with the Simpsons and Married with Children were totally going to cause the downfall of western society to whatever the gently caress she is now.

Appearing on Alex Jones's show occasionally as "Weirdo Grandma" who Alex kisses up to but does not actually listen to.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I’m missing a comma in there but w/e

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Frank Frank posted:

She had a recent podcast episode where she :orb: chatted with Marianne Williamson for an hour and change, so I don't know what is going on with her anymore.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know who Bill Engvall is. And whilst I know Jeff Foxworthy is an insane fundie Christian, (he did a "how well do you know your bible quotes" style show if I remember rightly).

But I never saw him as as conservative comedian(tm). Sure he doesn't swear, and even though he plays up how "southern" he is whilst ignoring the racism/homophobia/etc of the US south. All the "you might be a redneck if ..." stuff is silly wholesome apolitical observational jokey jokes.

As opposed to the racist ventriliquist, or the countless hacks yelling about "libruls" and "cancel culture" etc.

But I don't follow him too closely, so maybe he has an after dark special where he puts on the white robe.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

staberind posted:

By the same metric, Little Britain is deffo conservative, with blackface and so on.

Little Britain was 100% conservative, the messaging of its sketches was lockstep with the right wing media's favourite talking points. Off the top of my head the ones I can think of were:
- disabled people are just faking it and lazy, and exploit their carers
- trans women are men in dresses
- homophobia doesn't exist and people who claim otherwise are just drama queens

but I'm sure there were plenty of others that were just as vile

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Dont Arabs absolutely love the racist ventriloquist with a dead terrorist character. The world is weird.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Borscht posted:

Dont Arabs absolutely love the racist ventriloquist with a dead terrorist character. The world is weird.
Considering that from what little I dimly recall Achmed (the name of that specific character) is supposed to be taking the piss out of the Taliban in specific, maybe? It is still weird though, yes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Borscht posted:

A puppet that says “I kill you!” in a funny voice is probably guaranteed to be funny to at least somebody in any culture.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

Please don’t remind me that Dennis miller exists or hosted Monday Night Football at one point.

Ah, the duality of Fox in the 90's. Radical and EXTREME, but also, Fox News.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Archenteron posted:

She had a recent podcast episode where she :orb: chatted with Marianne Williamson for an hour and change, so I don't know what is going on with her anymore.

From what I heard on Knowledge Fight, what's going on is alcoholism.