Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just re-watched Shortcuts because I was running through all the Chris Penn films I could find and boy howdy.... what a fuckin cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

how do u do mr musk

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Durf posted:

Redlettermedia is lucky in that there's no end of lovely VHS era tapes to watch.

ooooo i forgot about them after so long, watching them later

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Here one of my favorite ninja moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlrmORO1a_w

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

has anyone seen the new pirot movie? i didnt even realize it was out

did this movie bomb or something? its already out on hulu lol

happyhalloween23_4
Oct 31, 2023
drat to have a society pacified by entertainment :allears:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just re-watched Shortcuts because I was running through all the Chris Penn films I could find and boy howdy.... what a fuckin cast.

it’s a movie I point to that is very 90s

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Fidnt watch a lot of movies for Spooktober this year but I did see Pearl (deece, very 10's but in a good way and a great lead performance), A Cure For Wellness (looks great, basically a vampire flick with more steps, too loving long), Slotherhouse (lame) and Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 (awesome, what Slotherhouse wishes it could be).

Whoever named Mia Goth did a very good job.

Open Source Idiom has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Oct 31, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

AnimeIsTrash posted:

did this movie bomb or something? its already out on hulu lol

It made the least so far of the three poirot movies.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

got hbo max and started watching warrior. It is a ton of fun.

and finally, some representation in media for my people: Irish shitheads from San Francisco. It also has a lot about Chinatown I guess

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

It made the least so far of the three poirot movies.

that makes sense, i watched a bit of it today and it had the weakest mystery

also tina fey was a really weird choice

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Streaming services pretty crappy for Halloween movies this year. Disney has a few, netflix some others. But the big name franchises that Id like to watch are all only available to rent individually on YouTube. Terrible time of year for my Plex server to die.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/EvDdq8w.mp4

happyhalloween23_6
Oct 31, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I miss a good musical intro like that show had. solid sax section for sure.

happyhalloween23_6
Oct 31, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

see what i'm talkin about ?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

tv isnt saxy anymore

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvXXGyKoYPc

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
RIP Bull.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im about halfway through the second season of strange new worlds and i have to say im not sure i like this show as much as i used to there were cracks at the end of the first season i tried to be positive about but there have been a lot more hijinx than i was expecting or wanting and the show in general seems to have moved away from interesting logical puzzles to character relationships and imaginary social criticisms that i just really dont care very much about

of all the damned weird things to make me come to this conclusion the main factor might just be that ive been watching enterprise not super consistently and its surprising how much better the worldbuilding holds up vulcans and vulcan culture are presented as assholish in both shows but an important caveat in enterprise is that the vulcans are actually right more often than not something even the most racist human characters are begrudgingly forced to admit and vulcan society itself is also presented as having internal divisions that dont neatly divide into good and bad its hella onpoint that the leader of the hippy vulcans who think emotions arent all bad turns out to be a rapist who abuses the technical correctness of some of his beliefs to get on the good side of people who have unrelated issues with the current dominant vulcan political structure

contrast strange new worlds where the vulcans all seem to be assholes and theres just...no upshot at all frankly theyre so one dimensional they actually make me nostalgic for tuvok of all things because tuvok actually likes vulcan culture and discusses it philosophically sometimes theres more to it than convoluted racist tea rituals all of the respect the characters even pretend to have for vulcan culture in strange new worlds feels really forced because anytime anyone is faced with an actual vulcan or in spocks case half a vulcan theres just thinly veiled contempt toward them for being different in a way i cant really conceptualize as being anything except boring old patronizing settler racism i dont think im superior to you you think youre superior to me bullshit

im also feeling the spock chapel romance even less than i was feeling the spock uhura romance from the movies i dont understand why of all the crap from the movies youd want to reheat youd pick that one what sold me on the show was pike being depicted as a guy coming to terms with his inevitable mortality and trying to do the best job he can in spite of that but i swear its like the writers decided that hook wasnt interesting and decided to just write everything in the style of the brief januaury sixth reference in the opening episode instead because it got more social media engagement

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

French cinema was a mistake.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oh so they spoil the twist in the trailer? what's the loving point??? gently caress france

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

is one cut of the dead turning into a cultural touchstone. Why is it being remade now? Cool movie though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

One cut is already perfect
A remake is entirely unnecessary

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

anyone seen any good movies lately

i liked videodrome. I got to mansplain a whole bunch about :

- the Canadian government's sponsorship of the film. i showed the George Lucas video where he talks about creative freedom in the Soviet Union vs USA
- what a cathode ray is
- games
- games as murder simulators
- games as war crime simulators and propaganda (CoD highway of death + no Russian)
- the guy whose AI girlfriend told him to kill King Charles
- James Woods's chuditude
- the lack of actors with acne scars or pockmarks anymore
- what body horror is
- naked lunch
- Debbie Harry being the lead singer of Blondie, the band that made Heart of Glass

my partner didn't really like it (too violent and gross) but was glad I liked it.

we also saw "a letter to three wives." this was agreeable. Kirk Douglas

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Nov 1, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

im also feeling the spock chapel romance even less than i was feeling the spock uhura romance from the movies

just wait for the song

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Watching Alien tonight for Halloween.

43 years old and I bet you can't name a movie with better tension.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Tagra posted:

the descent

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tagra posted:

alien's #2 but the witch is my fav for atmosphere

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Tagra posted:

It's timeless.

Watched Censor which owned and Cobweb which was pretty hokey.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Tagra posted:

haute tension. the title says it all!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just got to the exposition dump in MI: Dead Reckoning and they're talking about a cruciform key with the line "do you believe, kitrich?" and it reminded me of the cruciform sword in Last Crusade with the line "do you believe, marcus?" and i'm wondering how much of a coincidence it is

i think they're both at the same point in act 1 of each movie

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

MI: Dead Reckoning

i don't remember this series being as marvel-quippy as this one is

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Tonight for Halloween I watched:

-WoolieVersus play PT

-The Are You Afraid of the Dark episode with the evil pool ghost

-The Second Toombs episode and the Flukeworm Monster episodes of the X-Files

An evening well spent!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
tangential but theres a new hercule poirot orient express video game out

wonder if they do something new or if its the same twist as in the past

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

this time the train itself is the murderer

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i say swears online posted:

i don't remember this series being as marvel-quippy as this one is

it isn't quippy they're all character and situation based jokes, which the series always has, though 5-6 didn't have as many as 2-4. Ethan hunt isn't calling the bad guy Rob Lowe

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

wtf

https://twitter.com/ASPertierra/status/1719717063319560634

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

they were allies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I watched first episode of Scavengers Reign and that poo poo was good. Similar art style to the "Make You Love Me" Weeknd music video.

This is low-key kinda fire 🔥 🚒🔥🚒

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3F8kLoazGg