Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

ryde posted:

The most charitable interpretation I could make is that they are worried about bottoming out the truck since thats where the battery packs are and bad things happen if they get punctured.

I think you're right. Every video of them I see, they're always being super ginger with them for clearance. Another thing I think might be happening is that the frame might not be strong enough with all that mass near the center between the wheels and if they shock it too hard, the frame might bend. I mean the frame looked strong enough but they seem very scared to apply too much change in direction to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

shyduck posted:

I would like to see how well it does if it runs over an IED

the Cybertruck is the IED :elon:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Tarkus posted:

So, are they just being really soft on these things or do the drivers just feel unsafe I wonder. There should be tons of low-end torque on a vehicle like that but they drive them like they have no power.

These idiotic things are heavy, remember.

Generously suppose they do have some untapped torque.

Wouldn't revving it just tear up the road, like armored military vehicles tear up the land in war zones?

The sheer mass of the polygonal wonder is fully defeating its existence and any purpose in the real world.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

greatBigJerk posted:

The more the Cybertruck gets these really dumb "it's so tough!" posts, the more I am excited to see chuds do stupid poo poo to their trucks only to realize that it's actually not invincible.

It's like Musk is encouraging them to shoot and beat the poo poo out of their own vehicles.

Also going to be pretty hilarious when any of them try to go offroad.

i've realized that joe rogan shooting the cybertruck with arrows, and elon claiming it can survive being shot at with a tommy gun claims... it'll be real hilarious once chuds start destroying their own cybertrucks and finding out its not so tough.

of course some youtube channel will do a "test" on the car and then elon stans will attack them for being "biased" when all they're doing is just showing people that maybe you shouldn't trust elon when he says your car is bullet proof/arrow proof/glass shatter proof

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just want to see someone hit a big hill with the cybertruck going 75 and loving annihilate the front wheels, just turn them sideways like back to the future

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tarkus posted:

So, are they just being really soft on these things or do the drivers just feel unsafe I wonder. There should be tons of low-end torque on a vehicle like that but they drive them like they have no power.

It must be powerful, remember that it can pull ‘near-infinite mass’ https://futurism.com/the-byte/tesla-mocked-cybertruck-pull-near-infinite-mass

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Noxville posted:

It must be powerful, remember that it can pull ‘near-infinite mass’ https://futurism.com/the-byte/tesla-mocked-cybertruck-pull-near-infinite-mass

To be fair most electric vehicles, by nature of how their motors are, have extremely good low-end torque. Depends on how it's geared or if it's direct drive though. Even electric motorcycles, if not properly tuned in the controller can snap your wrist in half if you go too hard on the throttle. I suspect that the yBerTRUK is no different.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the first blue checkmark in that tweet is basically blaming the driver for how bad the cybertruck looks driving up the hill

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Songbearer posted:

gently caress me

Y'know confident truck manufacturers would show their cars flying over hills like these and crashing through dunes, you know, real grrr manly car stuff

This is like watching a pensioner push a shopping cart up a slight incline

not actually seen a cybertruck go faster than 15 mph. i assume the people testing them are making GBS threads themselves to be in a death trap lol

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Just realized we've only seen a video of it getting hit by an arrow. Meanwhile, for the tommy gun test it's totally just a case of "trust us, bro." And we have absolutely jack poo poo in regards to how it will perform in an actual collision - you know, the thing that is way more likely to happen on the road than getting shot at by arrows and old-timey machine guns. Would really love to see that, especially considering that Musk decided that crumple zones and absorbing energy from a collision is apparently for losers.

Also, I can't get over the fact that Musk apparently took at total face value the claim that Lyme disease - a disease we have proof of existing for at least 5,000 years - was made in a US government lab. I don't know why this gets me so mad, but it does. I hate that people treat him as a a modern-day Einstein-Tesla-Newton-whatever, when time after time after time he reveals himself to be so intensely incurious and gullible.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

ryde posted:

Yeah I could navigate that in my Camry.

I've driven on poorly maintained logging roads way worse than that in my gti, and it was fine.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's true, this is why all vehicle testing is primarily centered around letting grandmas take it for a sedate drive, that tells the engineers everything they need to know

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

it can't drive offroad

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
the dickriders are pretty creative with how they can twist anything to be a masterful move by big daddy musk, I will give them that.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's true, this is why all vehicle testing is primarily centered around letting grandmas take it for a sedate drive, that tells the engineers everything they need to know

OTA updates to solve... basic fundamental issues with suspension geometry :confused:

god i loving hate techbros.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Basic fundamental issues like the car not working and being loving stupid

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Casual reminder of the looming Tesla strike in Sweden

Quick overview

quote:

In response to this, IF Metall immediately expanded its strike notice to all repair shops that service Tesla vehicles in Sweden – not only Tesla’s own shops. An additional 470 workers in 16 cities will be affected in this next phase of the strike, starting on November 3rd.

From that date, no union members in the targeted shops will be allowed to do any work on Tesla vehicles – including service, repairs, or preparing new cars for shipping to the thousands of customers who are waiting for their brand new Teslas (currently Sweden’s top-selling car).

And more can be in store for Elon Musk’s company, unless it heeds union demands. When employers refuse to engage in collective bargaining, Swedish unions can resort to strikes and other forms of industrial action. Some of the options available to unions are bans on new hires or overtime work, and even solidarity strikes by other unions.

An interesting precedent that offers a hint of what Tesla could be up against occurred in 1995 when Toys’R’Us entered the Swedish market and initially refused to sign a collective agreement with the retail union, Handelsanställdas Förbund. The company eventually conceded after three months of labor strife, including a number of solidarity strikes when other unions blocked all deliveries, garbage collection, postal service, bank payments, and other vital parts the firm’s operations. The conflict was even supported by unions in many other countries, who encouraged their members to boycott Toys’R’Us products.

Even our “not a fascist, but friendly with fascists” PM is reminding Tesla of the labor laws here.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

cybertruck bulletproof for all subsonic ammunition

bulletproof for all supersonic ammunition will be an OTA update

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Also, I can't get over the fact that Musk apparently took at total face value the claim that Lyme disease - a disease we have proof of existing for at least 5,000 years - was made in a US government lab. I don't know why this gets me so mad, but it does. I hate that people treat him as a a modern-day Einstein-Tesla-Newton-whatever, when time after time after time he reveals himself to be so intensely incurious and gullible.
Conspiracy thinking just absorbs new factoids like the blob. Your link is just proof the pentagon discovered an ancient disease, reverse engineered it into a bio weapon, before unleashing it on rural America.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

ishikabibble posted:

OTA updates to solve... basic fundamental issues with suspension geometry :confused:

god i loving hate techbros.

just stick some more bluetooth in it and it'll fly, I don't see the problem

e: or wifi, I don't know...I'm just an ideas guy

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Come to think of it, aren't RPGs subsonic munitions? I think someone should run that test and post the results online post-haste.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Can a cybertruck survive firing an arrow at the ground and ricocheting into the battery pack?

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Hell yeah my badass impractical truck is bulletproof and arrow proof

*cybrtruck spontaneously explodes while parked in the garage*

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

gschmidl posted:

Someone I know is listening to the Rogan thing and apparently he and Musk are eating double-pineapple, double-anchovy pizza.

:guillotine:

drat it. Now I have the most minuscule portion of respect for them because pineapple and anchovy is actually a really good combination that cuts the salt of the anchovies and the sweetness of the pineapple to make a delicious pizza slice.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I still do not understand WHO the Cybertruck is meant to be for. Is it for the same crowd that buys a pickup as an image thing (doesnt use for work, doesnt tow anything, doesnt carry large cargo on the regular)?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Totbot posted:

Hey guys, I can’t wait for the new movie/video game crossover to come out. It will star John B. Laderunner teaming up with the space marine Metroid to find Zeldas sword.

Please make sure to talk about it on X, the everything app.

I am very smart.

Metroid from Smash Bros. will have his own game?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burns posted:

I still do not understand WHO the Cybertruck is meant to be for. Is it for the same crowd that buys a pickup as an image thing (doesnt use for work, doesnt tow anything, doesnt carry large cargo on the regular)?

Its for a man named elon musk

That is all the thought that was put into that aspect of it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Efb

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
According to Musk he came up with the concept because one of his sons asked why the future doesn't look like "the future".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Burns posted:

It's for rubes and marks with too much money, op

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I think we can expect a dramatic uptake of him retweeting right wing maniacs from/about Sweden in the upcoming days.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Burns posted:

There are still plenty of people that think Musk is smart and that the design looks cool.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

I think we can expect a dramatic uptake of him retweeting right wing maniacs from/about Sweden in the upcoming days.

And domestic assholes who dislike unions

I bet cernovich et al will be trying to pull elon even more into their camp over this

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ryde posted:

According to Musk he came up with the concept because one of his sons asked why the future doesn't look like "the future".

I don't know if it's sadder if he expects us to believe one of his kids thought that, or if they actually did. Claiming that you live in the future is for people who spent decades imagining what the 2020's would be like, not actual children.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ryde posted:

And by one of his sons, he means the twitter account where he cosplays as one of his sons and says creepy poo poo.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

ryde posted:

Here's at least one source about said claim because I wanted to check for myself though I don't know why I actually doubted the possibility that Musk claimed something stupid.

One of the many, many stupid things about this is that his idea of "future" isn't some universally agreed upon thing. It's a very specific and ugly cyperbunk aesthetic full of sharp angles and dark, boxy-looking poo poo that he likes personally, and it breaks my brain a little when I see his sycophants gushing about it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Aramis posted:

Come to think of it, aren't RPGs subsonic munitions? I think someone should run that test and post the results online post-haste.

A HEAT rocket might be, but the AP payload metal sure isn't once the shaped charge has fired.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Anything can be a subsonic munition if you have enough imagination

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

I like how in the last video its framed perfectly to show a cybertruck struggle over a bump, while an old 4WD effortlessly drives over the steep hill behind it. Really shows the progress we have made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Jeep had this poo poo figured out 60 years ago lol but please continue to disrupt