Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Leraika posted:

Sam's prize task is one of the best ones ever brought in and Greg being down on it was really odd.

It was a production made photo with stock audio playing over it. It really was a pretty weak round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Sam's prize task was 100% indefensible.

The quality of the prize round is the one thing that narks me about the UK series. Too many non-prizes that just exist to make a bad joke. Kongen befaler has done a much better job of sticking to the idea of them being meaningful items. I believe in part because they are forced to reveal and demonstrate them personally, rather than on a screen.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

I agree, I much preferred the prize tasks when the contestants (or at least most of them) took them seriously rather than just bringing a concept, a gag prize, or the random vaguely matching thing they grabbed on their way out of the house to the recording.

I think it fits into my general preference for contestants who actively try to do well instead of taking the "whatever, this will do" approach (see also: Jo Brand, whom I otherwise like but who disappointed me hugely on TM).

Edit: Another interesting example is Daisy May Cooper - she seemed to genuinely want to win in the other tasks, but her lack of effort in prize tasks was spectacular (almost approaching enjoyability from the other side). I think she might have won her series had she scored a bit better at the prize tasks?

Bemused Observer fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 29, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm not sure Julian is necessarily putting in a huge effort to his prizes, but I think he just lives in an eclectic house, so most of his entries come across as interesting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't mind the occasional dumb idea/joke task. They can't all be wedding rings.

The best prize tasks are something completely out of left field like Mike's mohawk.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

itry posted:

It was a production made photo with stock audio playing over it. It really was a pretty weak round.

I believe in hell bucket

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Leraika posted:

I believe in hell bucket

It was solid, but it only won against the worst competition in history

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Regarding prize task decline, when was the first one designed by the props department based on a contestants description? It seems like they've always been around for rejected ideas, but they seem to be more and more common. Which is lame.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Strawman posted:

It was solid, but it only won against the worst competition in history

that I'll agree with. Susan's seemed very childhood memory translated poorly (though I wouldn't mind winning a waterbed), Sue's joke was done better by Mike in series 11 (and I recall he scored badly on it as well), Julian's policy of just grabbing things from his weird house failed him - if he'd had time to go into the backstory he might have gotten somewhere, but Greg was clearly fed up by that point, and Lucy's just doesn't gel well at all though her victory performance with it was SOMETHING.

Bemused Observer posted:

Edit: Another interesting example is Daisy May Cooper - she seemed to genuinely want to win in the other tasks, but her lack of effort in prize tasks was spectacular (almost approaching enjoyability from the other side). I think she might have won her series had she scored a bit better at the prize tasks?

she absolutely would have won with more effort in the prize tasks; iirc she lost by less than 5 points and her prize tasks were consistently 2 point wonders.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

OTOH the prize task is the weakest part of the show, and I don't mind contestants minimizing their efforts for it and just getting it out of the way at the top of the show. I'm surprised how much focus it gets in this thread.

It's like the trivia at the beginning of buzzcocks, no one cares about that. Everyone is there for the song guessing and shaming extras for how they look, which comes after.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

IMO the prize tasks suck because the prompts have sucked for a while.

I know we’re in season 16 (160 prize tasks), but their pure insistence to never use a prompt even remotely close to a previous one has destroyed the category. Sometimes they think up great prompts, but almost all of them the past like 5 seasons have been pure duds.

I feel like all of the international series don’t suffer from this because they’ll reuse prize tasks from other international ones without worry. Also, props department making them a prize is bullshit. If they don’t have something, it’s infinitely funnier when they grab some random poo poo from their dressing room and Greg kills them for it.

The fix is easy, but it’s not on the contestants.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prizes should be on pedestals in front of them covered in a sheet and the contestants have to dramatically unveil them.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I do think the way Kongen Befaler does it is quite good, especially when there's a huge size discrepancy in the different prizes, like you have one person with a huge thing covered in a red sheet beside them then someone else has basically a handkerchief on the ground in front of them.

Some times the photos don't really do a good job at showing the size of something in UK too, a few times when they get to the end I've been surprised at how big/small something actually was, and it made it a lot more/less impressive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I want to know how Julian got the superpower of being so absolutely scathing with the most plain and benign of comments.

"There you are, radiating your usual charisma."

gently caress

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's got to the point now where I see the prize task as something to be endured before the real show begins. It's been bad for a long time and I don't know if it's the prompts or just fairly unimaginative people.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I completely agree, the prize task is heavily related to the amount of charisma and wit of the Taskmaster.

For example in the Finnish Suurmestari, Jaakko Saariluoma has the wit and charisma of a wooden board, unless he personally knows the people he interacts with. Since Jaakko isn't family comedian, Suurmestari should switch to post-9pm timeslot, or do something else instead.

But I do also prefer the "guest of the week and 4 contestant"-format over the 5 contestants approach. That gives you the possibility to do 2 against 2 team tasks + individual task for the guest of the week, which would be superior to the 3 against 2 format the original has. I think the Swedish version does this regularly, the Finnish one does not have team tasks at all.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

It's got to the point now where I see the prize task as something to be endured before the real show begins. It's been bad for a long time and I don't know if it's the prompts or just fairly unimaginative people.

I think it's a bit of both. The classic prize tasks of the past were when the show was newer and less of a proven thing and I think the contestants were more willing to go the extra mile to stand out, hence getting tattoos or putting up their wedding ring. The show's been around long enough that the prize task has become more of a formality and nobody wants to really go too nuts with it. I think we still get some good ones (Victoria's gift to Alan in S12 is still one of my favorite moments on the show), but there's not as much effort on display as there used to be. At the same time, they've done so many of them that it's hard to come up with interesting prompts without repeating a previous one. Honestly I'd be fine with them repeating prompts at this point - there are a few good ones from the past that I feel like they could still get more out of.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I like the prize tasks because the show is about making me laugh and the prize tasks make me laugh and that is good watchin'

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Wungus posted:

I like the prize tasks because the show is about making me laugh and the prize tasks make me laugh and that is good watchin'

same. some of em are better than others but theyre funny and they make me want to see julian's house

Morpheus posted:

I want to know how Julian got the superpower of being so absolutely scathing with the most plain and benign of comments.

"There you are, radiating your usual charisma."

gently caress

this series is basically a queer heritage moment

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I suppose the producers set the order of the prize task based on what they think will make the best story, but I wonder if Greg is privy to that. Did he get a note before hand that these were going to all be increasingly lovely, and he should just run with it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This season's still one step below the absolute high of S7 & S13 imo, but still up there with the best. Certainly no drags amongst the cast.

I don't want Sam to win, but only because he's been in the lead for so long now. Comon' Julian.

Caphi posted:

It doesn't check the date at all. It has some partial testing code for making sure it can tell the current date and the date 14/5/23, in a very "JavaScript tutorial for dummies" sort of way, but it's not complete and the script doesn't update the page in any way. It does show someone was trying, though! Maybe they'll learn jquery in time to update it before next May.

It might be server side but if they had the knowhow and resources to set that up, a lot of this would look very different already.

This is pretty funny imo. The code literally doesn't do anything atm:

quote:

var q = new Date();
var m = q.getMonth()+1;
var d = q.getDay();
var y = q.getFullYear();

var date = new Date(y,m,d);

mydate=new Date('2023-05-14');
console.log(date);
console.log(mydate)

/*
if(date>mydate)
{
alert("greater");
}
else
{
alert("smaller")
}
*/

As is it just checks out what day it is and also just looks at Greg's birthday, then doesn't do anything with them besides having the browser's terminal print them out. There's also some commented out code that just checks if today is 'greater' or 'smaller' than Greg's birthday which...... isn't something you need to do to say whether a day is another day.

Imagine they might update it next May, but I kind of hope they don't.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly based on that I wouldn't be surprised if, in his commitment to the bit, Alex made it himself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was watching some earlier episodes at random and one thing I'm really missing in the newer series is contestants trying to openly cheat at tasks. I think last time it happened was what, the sneaky pasta snake affair in season 10?
It's always so delightful when Alex catches them on video.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

I was watching some earlier episodes at random and one thing I'm really missing in the newer series is contestants trying to openly cheat at tasks. I think last time it happened was what, the sneaky pasta snake affair in season 10?
It's always so delightful when Alex catches them on video.

Has anyone ever cheated without being caught? Someone must have bragged about it on a podcast.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Dave Gorman claimed he cheated without being caught on the podcast, and he's still somehow the most boring contestant.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Bit of a round up of international TM goings on...

Stormester hits a milestone by being the first adapted version to air a Champion of Champions series. They've ended up with a pretty good line-up, and they are fiercely competitive. In the first episode (of four!) two of the contestants conspire to pick up a technicality in the first task which turns a clear five points into a disqualification. The tasks are all familiar (they've translated the TMNZ plant the flag task into local landmarks and personalities, but the solution is the same) but the attempts are fun to watch. They've also introduced team tasks for the first time - hopefully they can start doing them in the main series as well.

Taskmaster PT actually had a really good original task in their season 3 premiere - so far I've only really seen them recreate UK ones. I had to stop and think - was that an Alex task? No, was it TM AU? Or NZ?

pre:
(TM's assistant) Markl is having a nap in the caravan.
Create the best alarm clock and wake him with it in exactly 30 minutes from now.
Best alarm clock wins.
Your time starts now.
I'm pretty sure this hasn't been done anywhere before. But it's so simple, it's easy to think "well someone must have done that".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sounds like a variation on this UK task
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MkRDwzjpig

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Sounds like a variation on this UK task
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MkRDwzjpig

Kind of like if that one and "Deliver this task to Alex in his Caravan" had a baby.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Maybe the egg timer task is what makes it sound familiar at first glance, but in practice it came closer to the latter. There's no requirement to actually create a device, and even if you do, you can just manually set it off at the end of the time. One contestant threw S13 into the mix by attaching boxing gloves to a cement mixer and gently pummelling Markl awake, but that's a coincidence.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can we stream the show from 9 tonight like last time they moved it to 10?

Edit: yes

thehustler fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 2, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ah. Nice of Channel 4 to upload to VOD at the unchanged time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

julian might be the single most powerful taskmaster competitor to date. i love him so much

this was a great episode imo

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

fantastic episode, i love this group so much

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Another great episode. On the first prerecorded task, I was surprised that nobody did what I thought was the most obvious play, to not touch a single switch at all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
One of those episodes where editing has really elevated the experience. Utterly enjoyable despite the lacklustre studio task.

eke out posted:

julian might be the single most powerful taskmaster competitor to date. i love him so much

this was a great episode imo

You'd think his simmering cattiness would get old at some point, but it never does!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Missing Donut posted:

Another great episode. On the first prerecorded task, I was surprised that nobody did what I thought was the most obvious play, to not touch a single switch at all.

That's where the fact that this is for air works in the show's favor: sure, they could not switch anything but that may make for boring TV.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Missing Donut posted:

I was thinking what you'd want to do in that moment, and my gut reaction was to flick all the switches in order for 10 seconds each. You don't know if the one marked lights is turning them on and turning them off, and you might not want to be in the dark if that's the case. At least with that method what's going to happen is predictable.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This season rules. I think the one thing holding me back from loving it as much as S7 and S13 is that besides Sue & Sue the contestants don't really play off each other as much as they play straight off Greg. And probably nostalgia. But it feels like most of the banter is between Greg and each of them vs. them yelling at each other. The banter is very, very, very good tho.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Pinwiz11 posted:

That's where the fact that this is for air works in the show's favor: sure, they could not switch anything but that may make for boring TV.

Oh yeah, like the Portcullis Scissors task. I was just shocked that nobody did it, or even thought about the alternative — a lot of time with the five contestants, one of them finds a different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I love them so much