Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Janice was and remains a particularly fascinating character to me because i have a Parvatti in my family. She is in her mid 50s now and has spent her life partying with a cohort of friends which she replaces every few years when they get too old and boring for her. She's been living on disability, drug dealing profits and milking her sort-of-ex-husband (and anyone else who gets in close proximity to her) for around 13 years now and boasts about having "52 illnesses" which miraculously disappear every weekend when she goes out partying and every time she goes on a foreign holiday, which is every other week or so - she keeps a calendar up in my elderly aunt and uncle's house showing when she's abroad and she just has the occasional week here and there throughout the year at home.

That's not even scratching the surface: the utterly depraved things she has done to so many people in our family would not be written in a script because no audience would believe a person would really do it and expect to get away with it. I've often thought about having a go, however :)

crispix fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 31, 2023

blacks
Aug 31, 2023

by sebmojo

crispix posted:

Janice was and remains a particularly fascinating character to me because i have a Parvatti in my family. She is in her mid 50s now and has spent her life partying with a cohort of friends which she replaces every few years when they get too old and boring for her. She's been living on disability, drug dealing profits and milking her sort-of-ex-husband (and anyone else who gets in close proximity to her) for around 13 years now and boasts about having "52 illnesses" which miraculously disappear every weekend when she goes out partying and every time she goes on a foreign holiday, which is every other week or so - she keeps a calendar up in my elderly aunt and uncle's house showing when she's abroad and she just has the occasional week here and there throughout the year at home.

That's not even scratching the surface: the utterly depraved things she has done to so many people in our family would not be written in a script because no audience would believe a person would really do it and expect to get away with it. I've often thought about having a go, however :)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
^ lol

Don't worry, I keep my distance. I re-watch the show every few years and so many times on a re-watch, something Janice does that's previously passed me by becomes poignant because it's behaviour i've witnessed for real

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dawgstar posted:

That's a fine way to talk about Little Richie. And Kellie Aprile who Meadow got mad at for saying the mob killed Jackie Jr. and thus completed her transformation into Carmela Jr.

I could have mentioned Rosalie too but she didn’t seem to care much for her sister-in-law.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gathering evidence in my rewatch that Artie is a bad chef:

- Food poisons Tony
- Apologizes to Carm for her finding a bug in a salad. Later in the episode, his wife is stomping a roach in the kitchen.

I'm sure more will come up but I think I'm cooking here

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are no bad Chefs only bad Patrons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

- Food poisons Tony
- Apologizes to Carm for her finding a bug in a salad. Later in the episode, his wife is stomping a roach in the kitchen.

I'm sure more will come up but I think I'm cooking here

My theory, which I am mostly not prepared to defend, is that he's a good chef who lost his way well before the show started, but gets it back by the end with the whole rabbit/reprioritizing thing. Poor guy was just having a six-season long midlife crisis is all

yeah there's roaches but NYC is just over there, there's overflow i'm sure

blacks
Aug 31, 2023

by sebmojo
He does get his bread from the bread museum.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
yeah he's a good chef, bad business owner. many such cases!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

- Food poisons Tony

“If they came up undigested, how could they be the cause?!” 🤌

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ainsley McTree posted:

My theory, which I am mostly not prepared to defend, is that he's a good chef who lost his way well before the show started, but gets it back by the end with the whole rabbit/reprioritizing thing. Poor guy was just having a six-season long midlife crisis is all

yeah there's roaches but NYC is just over there, there's overflow i'm sure

The roaches take the Lincoln Tunnel and drive down the turnpike just like Tony does in the opening titles

blacks
Aug 31, 2023

by sebmojo
Ginny Sack had the Lincoln Tunnel removed from her rear end

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

blacks posted:

Ginny Sack had the Lincoln Tunnel removed from her rear end

. . .

Well that's uhh.... that's deplorable.

Who told you this?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

artie may be a bad chef but gently caress if i dont want zucchini flowers every time he brings it up

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tastes like mozzarella and string beans.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

blacks posted:

He does get his bread from the bread museum.

This is one of my favorite lines from the show.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Artie and Charmaine should have gotten a workplace style spinoff set in the restaurant.

With Angie Bonpensiero's auto shop as their wacky neighbor.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He tried to gently caress the girlfriends of two mobsters and got away with it and invented the Martina the hottest new drink from Albania and in this thread Artie Bucco is a hero! End of story!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

He tried to gently caress the girlfriends of two mobsters and got away with it and invented the Martina the hottest new drink from Albania and in this thread Artie Bucco is a hero! End of story!

hell, he knocked out benny, that's gotta be worth something

never mind whatever happened there after that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I still like the idea of present-day Artie complaining about Yelp reviews people leave. "No room in their lives for a unique taste experience!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Artie got cancelled after having his restaurant show up on one of those restaurant rehab shows.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gordon Ramsay shaking his head sadly at the state of the walk-in freezer

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

- Food poisons Tony

that was the indian restaurant. ghee is clarified butter. get a rancid hit of that? woof, can you even imagine

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Meanwhile Satriale’s has actual human meat remnants in the slicer :whitewater:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

that was the indian restaurant. ghee is clarified butter. get a rancid hit of that? woof, can you even imagine

Bullshit, Pussy had a different entree at the Indian restaurant but still got diarrhea having only eaten the same mussels as Tony. Indian restaurant is innocent! Those spices are antimicrobial!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ralph Hurley posted:

Meanwhile Satriale’s has actual human meat remnants in the slicer :whitewater:

and agent harris blames pakistan for getting him sick

ruddiger posted:

Artie got cancelled after having his restaurant show up on one of those restaurant rehab shows.

Now I want a spinoff where Artie tries to reboot his restauranteur career, but his mob ties from his past come back to haunt him after someone annoying on social media digs it up

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Carmela immediately forgets about Liz and her suicide attempt (and finding Adriana) when the inspection of her spec house passes.
Her throwing out the investigator's card is a :discourse: moment

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Rick. It's Rick. Or Richard. How many times do I gotta fuckin' tell you? It was Little Richie when he was twelve years old.
Love that Ro called him Little Ricky without incident

Ainsley McTree posted:

He does get back together with Charmaine (though she doesn't mention it)

Pirate Radar posted:

The roaches take the Lincoln Tunnel and drive down the turnpike just like Tony does in the opening titles
For those unaware, the drive sequence in the opening credits is not contiguous; it will take you all over New Jersey :spergin:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dokapon Findom posted:

For those unaware, the drive sequence in the opening credits is not contiguous; it will take you all over New Jersey :spergin:

I mean, maybe more like "a couple of excursions within a 10 mile radius" but otherwise it's broadly plausible

Can't see the Statue of Liberty from the NJTP for sure though

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

ulvir posted:

Who's letting out those big ones

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Gordon Ramsay shaking his head sadly at the state of the walk-in freezer

Better than even odds Artie actually decks Ramsay.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Better than even odds Artie actually decks Ramsay.

WARM AND CONVIVIAL HOST ARTHUR BUCCO

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You know better than New Jersey Zagat?

blacks
Aug 31, 2023

by sebmojo
He doesn't deserve Charmaine

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blacks posted:

He doesn't deserve Charmaine

I love how much she hates every single other character. Her life is just a constant parade of shitbags that she can't get away from.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ruddiger posted:

Artie is approached by a diner who reveals themselves to be producer on a Kitchen Nightmares-alike; They explain that their show rarely covers actual struggling restaurants, they really just want to film in places with character that will look good on camera - and Nuovo Vesuvio would look great on camera. Artie is immediately taken with the idea, convinced that it would be good for business, but more importantly because he'd get to be on TV! Charmaine tries to talk him out of it for half a dozen reasons but, most importantly, because she knows it's an ego thing for him, and if this celebrity chef says even one word of valid criticism to him, he won't be able to take it. Sure enough, on the first day of filming the Ramsay-alike says something offhand about Artie's skills/technique/demeanor that cuts him to his core. It all culminates in Paulie and Sil beating the living daylights out of the celebrity chef because they thought he was some out-of-towner legitimately hassling their friend, an act of violence that the wounded Artie approves of.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Now I'm imagining a Sopranos universe Cake Boss character coming to Tony for a loan, followed by all the mobsters doing their meetings at a hokey tourist trap bakery for an episode instead of the deli.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol @ Melfi's theory of the panic attacks being meat-related. He spends half his time in a loving deli!

I'm starting to think this lady is not a very good therapist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean she still decided to keep him as a client even after she had to go into hiding because her life was being threatened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean she still decided to keep him as a client even after she had to go into hiding because her life was being threatened

Ah, you're right, she's not very smart either. Bad, dumb therapist. Bad combo.