Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Al-Saqr posted:

one thing that still shocks me is that for all the hubub of how technologically advanced israel likes to claim they are its been Hamas who have been far more effective and innovative with high tech stuff like drones and such while israel is as hapless as 1995 russia going into grozny

my 500 million dollar tank was defeated by a 100 dollar drone with an RPG pilebunker round.

The IDF's shiny gadgets aren't designed to be effective. They're designed to coddle and protect its troops as much as possible at any cost. They're also bad at doing that.

E: two snipes in one day ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1719775178434179074?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

(what they dont tell you is that the 'gates' of gaza city is the literal borders of gaza itself and that israel lost 50 tanks so far driving into the most empty parts of gaza)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

how normal is it for RPG and ATGM users to be within 100 feet of a tank theyre targeting? because aljazeera is currently airing footage released by Qassam and theres shots of them literallt coming out of the ground 100 feet away from merkavas and blowing them up

for RPG's the closer the better, unfortunately for the guy holding it. So yeah within 100 feet is what i'd expect.

For ATGM's 100 feet would be extremely close for that type of weapon. Those things are made to be fired out like 3km-4km away from an advantageous position.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
we had a lot of fun in the watching homeless people fight for money thread so I’m just wondering where the line is drawn

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lol that pet CENTCOM general that Biden sent over after 10/7 told them this poo poo would happen.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al-Saqr posted:

one thing that still shocks me is that for all the hubub of how technologically advanced israel likes to claim they are its been Hamas who have been far more effective and innovative with high tech stuff like drones and such while israel is as hapless as 1995 russia going into grozny

It's because for mostly ideological reasons someone smarter than me can explain, the Revolution in Military Affairs was essentially a lie and is more related to the ideologies of Neoliberalism and Neoconservatism than, you know the microchip qualitatively improving military equipment.

That was sort-of obvious a decade ago, but it's clear as day now that as Mister Bates said, this is all post hoc rationalization for stuff they wanted to do anyway for ideological, political or economic reasons, it has nothing to do with military effectiveness per se, because we've seen the actual technology fail repeatedly and even the best-case results do not match the effectiveness of our same militaries when we had a quantitative focus.

For example, a GPS guided 155mm shell costs about $200 000 and the GPS unit fails from the shock of firing between 25-50% of the time. An unguided 155mm shell previously cost $300. Because they cut production so much, "with the magic GPS guided shells we wouldn't need as many", (and privatized and dismantled industry) an unguided shell now costs (or rather is priced at) around $5000 on the European arms market. These are exactly the same as when they cost $300, so there's not even the pretence of qualitative improvement.

So, you see, either way things got worse. The more expensive equipment doesn't justify the cost, but the belief that it did made even basic equipment cost more. Since 2000 or so, this is true across all classes of equipment including infantry rifles.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fell Mood posted:

If the tank commander used his fancy helmet to see a guy crawling up from behind with an RPG, what then? Does the tank have a machine gun? Do you try to pick off individual fighters with the main turret?

He uses the integrated control interface to order the swarm of drones orbiting the tank to handle the situation.

That's the dream

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

apparently Gallant said that Hezbollah is "deterred" and "doesn't want Beirut to turn into Gaza"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

lol that pet CENTCOM general that Biden sent over after 10/7 told them this poo poo would happen.

hmmmm arent the golan heights incredibly difficult to attack? israel literally has the high ground and i imagine its really fortified, but who knows...

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Pobrecito posted:

i just gotta say i think this policy is kind of weird and dumb as long as the posts are properly tagged and warned so people can choose whether to view or not.

did we ban videos of cops being pieces of poo poo beating up protesters during the height of the george floyd protestss? banning any possibly upsetting videos because a bunch of freaks liked to jerk off to russians getting killed in ukraine is definitely a choice

i don't think it helps in forming an understanding of the conflict better than discussion does and it's bad for your brain to view a lot of human misery, generally

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Maya Fey posted:

apparently Gallant said that Hezbollah is "deterred" and "doesn't want Beirut to turn into Gaza"

goofus just spouted bloodthirsty bible quotes

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

this is gonna be really funny a couple days from now

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Neocon psycho Max Boot laid out what the dream was in his book War Made New during the Bush years, when he fantasized that AI and drones would let the US dominate the entire globe and put no American at risk, ever.

It's worth reading what these people actually believe because it's much dumber than you'd think.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1719773145031381012?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

"Who must go?"

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Maya Fey posted:

Nasrallah please it would be so funny

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Maya Fey posted:

There are three US carriers in the area and Biden probably would get involved to prevent Israel from making an even more wildly stupid decision like nuking Lebanon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Israel let U.S. mil tech bros sell them a bunch of magic beans

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

AnimeIsTrash posted:

whats wrong with your brain

They think this is a court room and we are the jury judge and attorneys that will decide who is guilty at nuremberg 2

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Maya Fey posted:

But what does Goofus have to say?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pobrecito posted:

i just gotta say i think this policy is kind of weird and dumb as long as the posts are properly tagged and warned so people can choose whether to view or not.

did we ban videos of cops being pieces of poo poo beating up protesters during the height of the george floyd protestss? banning any possibly upsetting videos because a bunch of freaks liked to jerk off to russians getting killed in ukraine is definitely a choice

it is advisable not to post these kinds of videos. showing people videos of horrible stuff happening isn't necessary to prove the point that it is happening. we can all find that stuff on twitter if we want to (most people reading do not want to). So my blanket statement is just don't do it.

That said, if you post a NWS video with proper content warnings and it's not inlined, you will probably not be punished for it unless it is very NWS (dead bodies, death, gore, etc). You've just got to use your common sense and we will do our best to take into account the context in each case. But if I were you I wouldn't do it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

hmmmm arent the golan heights incredibly difficult to attack? israel literally has the high ground and i imagine its really fortified, but who knows...

More that going balls deep and expending all of their ammunition on Gaza would make them lose international support extremely quickly and leave them completely wrong-footed if Hezbollah decided to jump in. Biden stuck a bunch of our carriers over there to both keep an eye on thing and to try an keep Bibi from kicking off WW3 by acting as a deterrent.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://x.com/revleftradio/status/1719762495907192971?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

from your mouth to gods ears RevLeftRadio...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That would be incredibly dangerous considering the nukes. I'd prefer a military coup first.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

That would be incredibly dangerous considering the nukes. I'd prefer a military coup first.

oh, you arent worried about a draft?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Neocon psycho Max Boot laid out what the dream was in his book War Made New during the Bush years, when he fantasized that AI and drones would let the US dominate the entire globe and put no American at risk, ever.

It's worth reading what these people actually believe because it's much dumber than you'd think.

The name/book dissonance is doing my head lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al-Saqr posted:

This is where everything comes together.

The Golan Heights are close terrain. That does make them hard to attack, because you have to overcome a determined infantry defence at close quarters. This is in contrast to open terrain where you can (hopefully, and this was Israel's preferred tactic) shoot the enemy off their position at extreme range. Think of it like Gaza, defensible terrain typically means defensible at close quarters, because the attacker has the leisure of assembling forces ahead of time and will just use their numerical superiority unless they have to close in restricted terrain. Then it becomes an even contest of company vs company, battalion vs battalion.

In 1967 and 73 a lot of the fighting was at point blank range, bayonets and all. Israel paid an incredible cost to hold them.

Okay, think of what the Israeli army is like today.

They have high ground, and fortifications, but they have to hold those from a determined attacker.

Hills are not actually defended at the top of the hill, I realize this is what most people think.

The reason is that, because the attacker decides how many forces to bring to the battle, if you have one tank at the top of the hill, it can see everything - and be seen by everything - the enemy simply brings five and shoots you off the position. A tank can only ever shoot one other tank at a time, so being on the top of a hill is a losing proposition and has been since the start of the gunpowder age.

Instead, there's the military crest, where the enemy still has an uphill fight, but they can't see, and shoot you with all of their forces from kilometres around. They have to close with bayonets and grenades to displace you, if you're committed to holding there.

For forces that are outnumbered and/or outgunned, the reverse slope, the area behind the crest of the hill, is actually the best. The enemy must expose themselves to attack you, and cannot fire at you from the other side of the hill. That means, rather than being massively outnumbered, you're only practically outnumbered by however many enemy soldiers crest the hill at a time. It also means they can't just shoot you off your position with tank guns.

Before UAVs (I would argue even now because UAVs are overrated) they also couldn't see if they were having an effect on your trenches with mortars. Artillery is not very good at hitting some parts of the reverse slope, so you might avoid bombardment altogether if you site your positions correctly. The enemy has to really know their business to even know the extent of your positions, because, remember, they can't see them from their own lines.

Great. But as I said, this means that you have to defend your trenches at point blank range, which is your advantage, yes, but also means you take casualties to stop them.

e: this ties into the discussion in the Ukraine thread about how the basic IDF infantry weapon in 1967 and 1973 was the Uzi. At the ranges Israel preferred to hold positions against their numerically superior Arab opponents, the Uzi was all that was required. The IDF now is not going to have their soldiers fight in a way where the enemy stumbles into their trenches by accident and the battle takes place at point blank range.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Nov 1, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Al! posted:

its actually incredibly wild that these guys are able to just pop out of a hole and blow up a nearby tank completely unharassed

The wildest thing to me is that they can then loudly yell afterwards, rather than immediately having to run for cover while being lit up.

Like ambushes happen, especially by light infantry in these kinds of circumstances, but you're supposed to react to them...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

"Passionate Storyteller", "Bridge and Relationship Builder"

Why are Israeli's like this?

Family of Scot at heart of Israel’s bloody war with Hamas speak of fears over unprecedented attacks

Lieutenant colonel Richard Hecht, who was born and grew up near Glasgow, is international spokesman for the Israel Defence Forces (IDF).

“His father made a decision to leave Scotland and live in Israel and the Jewish homeland a number of years ago. They have been there so long they are effectively Israelis but they do come back and forth because they have very fond memories of Scotland and it was a great country for them to grow up in.

He's from Newton Mearns, East Renfrewshire,

he’s continuing a fine tradition of the empire sending out scots to brutalise the poor while scotland pretends to be the most moral country in the world

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

israeli channel 13 says that hamas drones made it to Zekim military base lol

https://x.com/turkishalhoub/status/1719778366398550408?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

israeli channel 13 says that hamas drones made it to Zekim military base lol

https://x.com/turkishalhoub/status/1719778366398550408?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

this iron dome is sounding more like a colander

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

This is where everything comes together.

The Golan Heights are close terrain. That does make them hard to attack, because you have to overcome a determined infantry defence at close quarters. This is in contrast to open terrain where you can (hopefully, and this was Israel's preferred tactic) shoot the enemy off their position at extreme range. Think of it like Gaza, defensible terrain typically means defensible at close quarters, because the attacker has the leisure of assembling forces ahead of time and will just use their numerical superiority unless they have to close in restricted terrain. Then it becomes an even contest of company vs company, battalion vs battalion.

In 1967 and 73 a lot of the fighting was at point blank range, bayonets and all. Israel paid an incredible cost to hold them.

Okay, think of what the Israeli army is like today.

They have high ground, and fortifications, but they have to hold those from a determined attacker.

Hills are not actually defended at the top of the hill, I realize this is what most people think.

The reason is that, because the attacker decides how many forces to bring to the battle, if you have one tank at the top of the hill, it can see everything - and be seen by everything - the enemy simply brings five and shoots you off the position. A tank can only ever shoot one other tank at a time, so being on the top of a hill is a losing proposition and has been since the start of the gunpowder age.

Instead, there's the military crest, where the enemy still has an uphill fight, but they can't see, and shoot you with all of their forces from kilometres around. They have to close with bayonets and grenades to displace you, if you're committed to holding there.

For forces that are outnumbered and/or outgunned, the reverse slope, the area behind the crest of the hill, is actually the best. The enemy must expose themselves to attack you, and cannot fire at you from the other side of the hill. That means, rather than being massively outnumbered, you're only practically outnumbered by however many enemy soldiers crest the hill at a time. It also means they can't just shoot you off your position with tank guns.

Before UAVs (I would argue even now because UAVs are overrated) they also couldn't see if they were having an effect on your trenches with mortars. Artillery is not very good at hitting some parts of the reverse slope, so you might avoid bombardment altogether if you site your positions correctly. The enemy has to really know their business to even know the extent of your positions, because, remember, they can't see them from their own lines.

Great. But as I said, this means that you have to defend your trenches at point blank range, which is your advantage, yes, but also means you take casualties to stop them.

e: this ties into the discussion in the Ukraine thread about how the basic IDF infantry weapon in 1967 and 1973 was the Uzi. At the ranges Israel preferred to hold positions against their numerically superior Arab opponents, the Uzi was all that was required. The IDF now is not going to have their soldiers fight in a way where the enemy stumbles into their trenches by accident and the battle takes place at point blank range.

wow thanks for this very interesting.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Crazypoops posted:

They think this is a court room and we are the jury judge and attorneys that will decide who is guilty at nuremberg 2

in any other case, if there is news about something, a post linking to the news is kind of expected. war posting is an exception. so asking "hey, why is this one thing different?" should be expected.

that goons can't be expected to use judgement for when to spoiler a link, or break up a link is, I think, more the cause of the strict enforcement than the content being posted

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I should have mentioned that the crest of the hill has observation posts, commanding heights still have a huge advantage, but that's to spot for artillery and for reconnaissance, they're not expected to actually fight there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

wow you dont say, the US is interested in something thats in US interests?!

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1719772366539243825?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!

Zeroisanumber posted:

shut up

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

“War Pigs” really captured the human condition.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w4oZXfrf18Y&pp=ygUWZmFpdGggbm8gbW9yZSB3YXIgcGlncw%3D%3D

A New Dad
Nov 10, 2012

I SHOULD FUCK OFF BACK TO C-SPAM
IDF infantry are camped out in tiny little earthwork "forts" chilling out in the open in groups of 100+ lmao

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Retromancer posted:

the IDF is like if someone said "If we got all the prison guards in America together we could put together a functional army."

remember that time in 2020 when prison guards were deputized into secret police that kidnapped and murdered protestors

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/04/19/lege-a19.html posted:

In February, the criminal justice investigative journalism organization the Marshall Project published a report reviewing violence by federal marshals or deputized police officers in USMS task forces between January 1, 2015 and September 10, 2020. This report shows that 177 people were shot by these groups, 124 of whom died. The Marshall Project reported that federal officers shot 31 people a year and killed 22, a number greater than city police forces of similar sizes.

The Operation Legend program also took place alongside of the deployment by the Trump administration of paramilitary forces such as the Border Patrol Tactical Unit (BORTAC) of the Department of Homeland Security against protesters in cities such as Portland. in July at least seven people were kidnapped by militarized camouflaged DHS agents driving unmarked vehicles and held for hours in unknown locations without cause or due process.

The expansion of federal agents operating in major US cities in violation of the US Constitution was part and parcel of the attack waged by the Trump administration on democratic rights and the attempt to establish a personalist dictatorship in the White House. This campaign reached a high point in June when Trump threatened to invoke the Insurrection Act of 1807 seeking to mobilize active US troops against peaceful protesters in Washington D.C., and culminated in the assault on the US Capitol on January 6 by a fascist mob attempting to overturn the outcome of the 2020 presidential elections.

The increasing militarization of the police and the slandering of protests as “violent riots” by the right wing has been aided and abetted all along by the Democrats, who have endorsed the use of federal police in major cities under the guise of “fighting crime.” Throughout the summer, as Trump and Barr were mobilizing newly deputized federal agents, Democratic Party mayors Lori Lightfoot in Chicago and Mike Duggan in Detroit, for example, vouched for the White House and said that they needed the help.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2021/02/11/u-s-marshals-act-like-local-police-with-more-violence-and-less-accountability

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Al-Saqr posted:

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1719775178434179074?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

(what they dont tell you is that the 'gates' of gaza city is the literal borders of gaza itself and that israel lost 50 tanks so far driving into the most empty parts of gaza)

50 seems like a lot, how many tanks did Israel have in service on October 6th anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Morbus posted:

I mean, to be fair, the text (if not necessarily the subtext) of the document is that they want to remove and displace the Palestinians from Gaza, because:

1.) As long as Palestinians are in Gaza, they will resist the conditions of occupation and Israel cannot meaningfully change this

2.) This is the only outcome they feel is a sufficiently big humiliation/punishment for Oct 7. They believe that if they can instill a sufficient sense of "failure" into the Palestinian people, it will have a deterrent effect.

The first point is true, the second point is not. But what really sticks out is their complete failure to assess the broader strategic implications of riling up the entire Arab (and non-Arab) world, + displacing 2 million vengeful Palestinians into neighboring countries whose populace already hates Israel, and whose comprador leadership is already barely clinging on. There is also no meaningful consideration of Hezbollah/Iranian counter-actions.

It's ideological blindness. The scope is as broad as it can be while still justifying the elimination of the Palestinian population.