Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Nerobro posted:

They are both poor choices, and are far more money than they're worth.

for $17, you should buy:

https://www.amazon.com/stedi-4-7-inch-Plastic-Building-Repairing/dp/B0894TVBYN

For $24, you should buy:

https://www.amazon.com/stedi-4-7-inch-Plastic-Building-Repairing/dp/B0BF4JKZDK?th=1

I believe I have a set of these, and they're pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/RUITOOL-Begi...B0BVH9KCF7&th=1

Just as a rule of thumb, if tamiya has their name on it, they bought it from someone else, and marked it up. We'll help you find the "not tamiya" price.

ive been using my nippers to cut my nails so i needed a replacement, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

IG-88 posted:

ive been using my nippers to cut my nails so i needed a replacement, thanks

Don't tell anyone. But these hobby nippers are the best nail clippers ever. They handle everything from hard, thick toenails to litteral paper thin flexible baby nails.

In my house, we're at the point that everyone ~looks for~ hobby nippers instead of nail clippers.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i got a pack of metallic gundam markers the other day and i have a few thoughts

1: the dark red marker in there was not ACTUALLY dark red, but magenta, and the shade of red i want is like. $10 for a single pen, when shipping is factored in. Why.
2: i was able to color correct my barbatos and exia models and now i really want to like. buy a plain white zaku and just paint it with these. they go on so smooth and come in such pretty colors what the gently caress.

unrelated:

suruga-ya strikes again... i cant resist good deals....... suletta is like $40 and that version of aerial was apparently limited and most ebay listings are like $50 - i got both of them for $35 total. how am i supposed to say no to that?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Nerobro posted:

They are both poor choices, and are far more money than they're worth.

for $17, you should buy:

https://www.amazon.com/stedi-4-7-inch-Plastic-Building-Repairing/dp/B0894TVBYN

For $24, you should buy:

https://www.amazon.com/stedi-4-7-inch-Plastic-Building-Repairing/dp/B0BF4JKZDK?th=1

Just as a rule of thumb, if tamiya has their name on it, they bought it from someone else, and marked it up. We'll help you find the "not tamiya" price.

Gotcha, thanks!

The thing about Tamiya markup made me wonder if there's a link about cheaper modeling products that are the same as the branded ones?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Nerobro posted:

Don't tell anyone. But these hobby nippers are the best nail clippers ever. They handle everything from hard, thick toenails to litteral paper thin flexible baby nails.

In my house, we're at the point that everyone ~looks for~ hobby nippers instead of nail clippers.

I mean, you can get nail nippers, but they're often less ergonomic and more for a pedicure place to burn through with all their clients than for regular but occasional home use.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trying out preshading on and older model and I'm just not sure. Seems like a lot of work early on for an uncertain result. Its like barely visible on the purples and gives a weird cast to the yellows. Probably wont bother with it in the future and just stick with adding stuff onto base colors rather than preshade.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/SayaDoesStuff/status/1718222951802380461

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

it would honestly be very funny if kotobukiya made all the arquebus kits while 30mm made all the balam kits

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaziken386 posted:

it would honestly be very funny if kotobukiya made all the arquebus kits while 30mm made all the balam kits

Given Bandai's reach, it'd be the other way around if anything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given Bandai's reach, it'd be the other way around if anything.

I mean, in terms of aesthetic, Bandai does durable, easy to build kits with absurd production numbers.

That's domination through material superiority right there.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

i got a pack of metallic gundam markers the other day and i have a few thoughts

1: the dark red marker in there was not ACTUALLY dark red, but magenta, and the shade of red i want is like. $10 for a single pen, when shipping is factored in. Why.
2: i was able to color correct my barbatos and exia models and now i really want to like. buy a plain white zaku and just paint it with these. they go on so smooth and come in such pretty colors what the gently caress.
update: okay so i just tried out the metallic green marker on FM Aerial's eyes, and i've decided that im using this for every gunpla with color-separated eyes from now on, because it looks pretty and is much less of a pain in the rear end than eye stickers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Blaziken386 posted:

update: okay so i just tried out the metallic green marker on FM Aerial's eyes, and i've decided that im using this for every gunpla with color-separated eyes from now on, because it looks pretty and is much less of a pain in the rear end than eye stickers.

If you have a silver-metallic marker, a pro-tip is use it to paint the part behind any clear parts. The metalic-ness can make light reflect off it, making the clear part seem semi-lit in direct light.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've got some chrome paint and chroming the area behind clear eyes/cockpits works really well.

I've also started seeing some modellers add a dome of uv resin to glowy stickers to give them a raised glassy look which looks great too. might give that a try!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibner posted:

If you have a silver-metallic marker, a pro-tip is use it to paint the part behind any clear parts. The metalic-ness can make light reflect off it, making the clear part seem semi-lit in direct light.

The EX-Silver Metallic Marker is what you want specifically, not the regular metallic silver.

It also mades blades look fantastic.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Lfrith status: rad as hell

one thing i learned during this build: dabbing the eraser marker on a microfiber cloth is effective. dabbing the eraser marker on a q-tip is much MORE effective, and has a lower chance of accidentally wiping away the lines you want to keep. The more you know!!!

also i used the green marker on her eyes + front camera and while the stickers are a little brighter, i think i prefer this? it looks more realistic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What're everyones feelings on the WFM Gundams? I like the designs, but the shell units stick out to me and makes them seem way more toy-like than I'd like, even with the printed on designs. Its got me waffling a lot on designs I'd otherwise pick up.

I suppose I could paint them over...

edit:
'local idiot complains her tiny plastic robots are too toy-like'

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Lfrith status: rad as hell

one thing i learned during this build: dabbing the eraser marker on a microfiber cloth is effective. dabbing the eraser marker on a q-tip is much MORE effective, and has a lower chance of accidentally wiping away the lines you want to keep. The more you know!!!

also i used the green marker on her eyes + front camera and while the stickers are a little brighter, i think i prefer this? it looks more realistic.

The Q-tip, especially tightly wrapped and pointed ones, are a staple of line inking. If you're using something like Tamiya, you dab it with lighter fluid and just gently wipe off the excess ink.

For eye effects, this is one where a little bit of hand painting goes a long way. Gloss black, then a shiny silver of your preference, followed by a clearcoat version of the eye color. Since everything and its dog has eye/camera stickers, it's a low hanging fruit for babby's first painting excursion.

Synthbuttrange posted:

What're everyones feelings on the WFM Gundams? I like the designs, but the shell units stick out to me and makes them seem way more toy-like than I'd like, even with the printed on designs. Its got me waffling a lot on designs I'd otherwise pick up.

I suppose I could paint them over...

edit:
'local idiot complains her tiny plastic robots are too toy-like'

My Aeriel is still sitting in my backlog, so I can only give the canned response of "weathering and paint can fix a lot of toyetic problems." Oh, and the grunt suits are very reminiscent of Armored Core.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 30, 2023

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I also just finished my lfrith last night, nice! I didn't expect to like this suit as much as I do, I'm rethinking converting it to the prototype. surprising amount of weight to it too.

fwiw I've seen a lot of wfm kits that definitely shed that toylike appearance with work ranging from minimal to full paintjobs on Instagram. if anyone has a build account btw I'd be glad to follow, I had just started a dedicated one

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've got some chrome paint and chroming the area behind clear eyes/cockpits works really well.

I've also started seeing some modellers add a dome of uv resin to glowy stickers to give them a raised glassy look which looks great too. might give that a try!
There is a 30MM set (Customize Material 03) with 3D lens stickers that look real good in all the pictures. Can't vouch for it yet but it may be what you want.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Suruga-ya, plz.

My 4 year old was complaining that it wasn't fair I had so many more "cool robots" when he only had a couple, so there's another four EG/30MM kits on the way for him. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The MODEROID El Dora V's out today! :peanut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjSohQ84lyw

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow thats a lot of cool robots

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Nerobro posted:

bought these the other day, theyre very nice.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i like how the beguir-beu is, aside from the wings and bat head, just a cuter version of the michaelis

in related news, the display case i bought a while back is starting to get dangerously crowded, for some reason. oh no.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blaziken386 posted:

Never do with a sticker anything you could do with a marker.

slicing up eyeballs posted:

fwiw I've seen a lot of wfm kits that definitely shed that toylike appearance with work ranging from minimal to full paintjobs on Instagram. if anyone has a build account btw I'd be glad to follow, I had just started a dedicated one

The WFM HG kits are really drat good. All I've done to an HG from that series is panel line it. They look great. MY P-Bandai Permet 6 Aerial is getting extra stickers, but that's a sweet kit and worth the time. I will paint and weather a Full Mechanics Aerial, probably this year, but the HG kits are just good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

messed with the colors a bit and put in base panel lining. Next up is decals and weathering.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Blaziken386 posted:

i like how the beguir-beu is, aside from the wings and bat head, just a cuter version of the michaelis

in related news, the display case i bought a while back is starting to get dangerously crowded, for some reason. oh no.

WFM did a terrific job in keeping a throughline in the lineage of the different mobile suits from each company.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Big drop tonight for the GN-X and RG Zaku lovers out there. 9p Eastern.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I do love zakus

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Buck Wildman posted:

I do love zakus

Hell yeah.

I don't care if they're all the same but different colors, gimmie.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MillennialVulcan posted:

WFM did a terrific job in keeping a throughline in the lineage of the different mobile suits from each company.
i love how you can tell which company made which mobile suit at a glance, it's SUCH good world building. Each one by the same company feels like an actual evolution of the technology - ie: the Demi Trainer -> Chuchu's Upgraded Demi Trainer -> Demi Barding. It's neat!! I think my favorite example of this is the Schwartzette, which has both Jeturk Industries AND Shin Sei/Ochs Earth design elements, for obvious reasons.

in other news:

DHL last night: hey we have a package coming for you on the 6th
DHL this morning: hey is it okay if we drop this off today, early in the afternoon?
thank you DHL

(suletta's face is apparently made with waterslide decals, and im slightly nervous...)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

parabolic posted:

A conventionally-styled Turn A! Do they call it the "Syn" because you have to beg forgiveness of God for building it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's "Syn" because it's missing the moustache, which is sinful

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Each one by the same company feels like an actual evolution of the technology - ie: the Demi Trainer -> Chuchu's Upgraded Demi Trainer -> Demi Barding.

Quick note: Chuchu's Demi is based on an older model Demi than the standard Demi trainer, reflecting the lack of resources available to Earth House.

So the Demi trainer and Chuchu's MS are basically siblings!

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

The cool robot pile is now taller than the kid is. He was very excited when I told him that the new kits were for him.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Oh God, I just counted and that pile outnumbers all the kits I've constructed to date. I'm set for like literally two years at this point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prof. Banks posted:

The cool robot pile is now taller than the kid is. He was very excited when I told him that the new kits were for him.

Hold up there; You got your kid a 30MM kit and no accessory packs to jazz it up with?

Get back to the hobby store and make that pile of boxes a little taller! :colbert:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

parabolic posted:

I am tempted to get that Hyaku Shiki Kai but $100 for an uglier, even if I do like it, Hyaku Shiki is a hard sell. Plus, I still have my HG Delta Gundam in the backlog if I want to deal with an obscenely gold kit, and that one is at least also primarily undergated.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

it's "Syn" because it's missing the moustache, which is sinful

That's what I meant to imply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/WD-M01MS_%E2%88%80_Gundam_Shin

theres a bunch of other crappy design modifications here. Completely borks up the clean line flow the original has.