Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's so weird to have NPCs that seem to remember everything you could have done in BotW and also having many NPCs in the town you and Zelda live in having no idea who you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mr E posted:

the town you and Zelda live in

On that note it was both both hilarious and aggravating that after all the money I spent on that house in BotW Zelda stole the deed and kicked me out, forcing me to build a Lego House out in the wilderness. The Dream Home's another of those things that was fun but aggravating in how I cared way more about it than Nintendo thought I would. These room shapes are bogus! The Study literally cannot even fit on the house without having a missing wall! Why only 15 rooms?!
On the topic of "I cared way more about it than Nintendo thought I would." I also spent what feels like half my total playtime creating the perfect Monster Diorama in Tarrey Town. Still mad you can't actually place other models on top of the Battle Talus Model.
I mean I'm being way too harsh here because I spent more than a hundred hours on this game and had a great time so it obviously wasn't bad, there's just a lot of stuff that feels half baked.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's annoying when they put so much effort into little details in some areas, but put no effort in others.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The best part is that she did have a “hmmm” moment, during the Show of Fealty cutscene…but it was literally just “I got a funny feeling about this guy”, not even reflecting on his name or anything

IIRC she says that "even his name gives her pause" or something similar.

e: (spoilers, obviously)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWw4ltCoNqs&t=140s

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 1, 2023

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

eightysixed posted:

real edit: helping the dude (whose name escapes me at the moment) fix his President signs or whatever is all sorts of hosed up. 100% of the ones I built after 5 tries has to be the wrong way they wanted you to do it.

The sign tasks got really boring after I read somewhere that you can cheese all of them with a single hover stone.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Zopotantor posted:

The sign tasks got really boring after I read somewhere that you can cheese all of them with a single hover stone.

I never thought about it .. but also never felt the need to cheese them

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The billboards are one of those things where they’re fun if you do it “correctly”, in this case using the specially selected pile of objects next to each one, but becomes a boring annoyance if you ever figure out a “one size fits all” universal solution like in this case the hover platform. Or like shrines if you ignore the puzzle and just use bomb arrows on the target. It’s why I had a rule to never use my inventory for shrine puzzles/signs. I paid money to solve Zelda puzzles and by god I’m going to solve Zelda puzzles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zelda spent 100 years locked in a battle with Calamity Hitler.

But this new guy is named Hitlerstein. Totally different dude, don't worry about it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Addison's hudson construction signs were one of my favourite additions to the game, and I love both BotW and TotK a lot.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

galagazombie posted:

On that note it was both both hilarious and aggravating that after all the money I spent on that house in BotW Zelda stole the deed and kicked me out, forcing me to build a Lego House out in the wilderness. The Dream Home's another of those things that was fun but aggravating in how I cared way more about it than Nintendo thought I would. These room shapes are bogus! The Study literally cannot even fit on the house without having a missing wall! Why only 15 rooms?!
On the topic of "I cared way more about it than Nintendo thought I would." I also spent what feels like half my total playtime creating the perfect Monster Diorama in Tarrey Town. Still mad you can't actually place other models on top of the Battle Talus Model.
I mean I'm being way too harsh here because I spent more than a hundred hours on this game and had a great time so it obviously wasn't bad, there's just a lot of stuff that feels half baked.

I too got annoyed at building the house of weirdo blocks so turned it over to my 6 year old son, an expert in building with weirdo blocks. He made this super hosed up MC Escher house that makes absolutely no sense, and it owns way more than anything I was coming up with

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

galagazombie posted:

that was fun but aggravating in how I cared way more about it than Nintendo thought I would. These room shapes are bogus! The Study literally cannot even fit on the house without having a missing wall!
Agreed that the building system is odd, but this isn't strictly true.

Definitely would have been nice to be able to delete or add walls to rooms though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

In guessing that the building block house in TOTK was something they wanted back in BOTW but didn’t have the time to implement or maybe the horsepower of the WiiU wasn’t enough.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Weirdly I did not mess around with the house building at all in this game, even though it seems 100% up my alley. I'm a magazine layout designer though so I spend all day every day moving things around in grids and I don't feel like doing that in my off time. (thank God I didn't have this job when New Horizons came out.)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I built a few rooms mostly so I had a place to display the Wind Waker boomerang I found. I was broke as a joke for most of the game and needed that cashmoney to upgrade my outfits.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Agreed that the building system is odd, but this isn't strictly true.

Definitely would have been nice to be able to delete or add walls to rooms though.

I'd be happy with double the amount of rooms you could have- I want a full weapons display area with a ton of stuff to show off

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the Hateno house in BOTW was nice because you are often in Hateno. The TOTK house isn't good enough to make a separate trip to this weird empty field otherwise

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MokBa posted:

Weirdly I did not mess around with the house building at all in this game, even though it seems 100% up my alley. I'm a magazine layout designer though so I spend all day every day moving things around in grids and I don't feel like doing that in my off time. (thank God I didn't have this job when New Horizons came out.)

Honestly it's a bit too basic to play with for any real amount of time, which I find strange considering the amount of weird poo poo you can do with all the other building of vehicles etc in the game. I would have thought that you'd be able to not just get complete rooms, but things like various walls and furniture to go a little crazy and make some interesting homes. But that's probably just asking for an Animal Crossing style sub game and considered too much.

And I'm still mad that there was never any Zelda goods in the most recent AC or a special appearance by Kass (he would have been an amazing crossover).

Also I still miss Kass.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Poque posted:

the Hateno house in BOTW was nice because you are often in Hateno. The TOTK house isn't good enough to make a separate trip to this weird empty field otherwise

Not to mention Granteson is always hanging out outside the house and constantly gets in the way when you are editing it.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah the house building is also weird because there's at least a Lynel and a Hinox relatively close to the site so it doesn’t ever feel truly homey like in Hateno.

But given how the Hateno house is treated, that building will either be a new Hyrule Castle or the family's vacation home in a future game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They aren't coming back to this map anymore, but I wouldn't be surprised if another game had that house razed to the ground and a mansion built in its place.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

So on that note, here’s an interesting thought: while Aonuma explicitly said they most likely wouldn’t be using the same map, in the same interview he also explicitly left open the possibility that the next game will still be another sequel - what would y’all think of the next game still using the same characters, art style etc, but set in a different world a la OoT/MM?

Personally I’d be all for it - seeing something other than Hyrule could be cool, and these incarnations of the Hero and the Princess are by far my favorite

rko
Jul 12, 2017

The Maroon Hawk posted:

what would y’all think of the next game still using the same characters, art style etc, but set in a different world a la OoT/MM?

What I’d like to see is the goddamn Triforce. Where is the Triforce???

My pitch would be finishing up the series as a trilogy with a final game involving Zelda investigating the Temple of Time and accidentally sending Link on a millennia-spanning adventure that reunites the Triforce across time to presumably beat some new Ganon. Should include Cyberpunk Sheik in Neo-Hyrule at a minimum. Just feels to me like we’re due a good Hero of Time arc.

Either way, with respect to Aonuma’s comments, the true ending for TotK definitely feels like it’s saying Zelda is on the path to recreating Hyrule and not just remaining a quirky archaeologist in the present day. Given that a majority of the “plot” in BotW/TotK is presented as Zelda’s coming of age story (told out of order), restoring Hyrule and becoming its ruler—or rejecting that!—seems like the obvious place to take her story. There’s just enough there that makes me feel like an MM-style story is unlikely, and we’ll see something that caps off the story of this Link and Zelda.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

galagazombie posted:

3: The plot in addition to being a very standard Zelda plot, was surreally bizarre. Some new badguy shows up named Ganon just like Ganon, controls the Bloodmoon just like Ganon, Spills the same spooky health draining red-purple smoke over everything as Ganon, Has the same backstory as Ganon, etc. And at no point does a single character say "Wait a minute so is this the guy from five years ago?". The game also can't seem to decide whether Link was a completionist who 100%'ed BotW who everyone personally knows or if he was some speedrunner who killed Ganon with 3 Hearts and never met a single NPC.

You don't know Gerudo, maybe the -dorf suffix indicates some sort of negative. His name could mean "Totally Not Ganon" for all you know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Same map, same characters, but in addition to the verticality of TotK, make Link able to travel up and down the timestream with every specific timezone it's own entire Hyrule with characters, locations, missions and side missions etc that all interact with each other based on the order you do them in :shepface:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Same map, same characters, but in addition to the verticality of TotK, make Link able to travel up and down the timestream with every specific timezone it's own entire Hyrule with characters, locations, missions and side missions etc that all interact with each other based on the order you do them in :shepface:

... after seeing what they did with BotW -> ToTK I am not entirely willing to rule this out as going too far

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

rko posted:

What I’d like to see is the goddamn Triforce. Where is the Triforce???

Same place it is in BotW!

Zelda has it. It shows up in the memory you get after obtaining the Master Sword, where it's glowing on her hand, although it's hard to see. You can briefly see it on the credits screenshot for it. It doesn't pan up the image high enough to see the full triforce, but you can see it the bottom two triangles.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I think a new world would also make more sense because at the end of TotK you actually destroy Ganondorf/Ganon, as opposed to simply sealing him away like most games, so it would make more sense to introduce a new/other villain and that would just be weird to do while still in Hyrule

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Docjowles posted:

... after seeing what they did with BotW -> ToTK I am not entirely willing to rule this out as going too far

It was amazing what they accomplished but it took a lot of people a lot of time to do that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I think a new world would also make more sense because at the end of TotK you actually destroy Ganondorf/Ganon, as opposed to simply sealing him away like most games, so it would make more sense to introduce a new/other villain and that would just be weird to do while still in Hyrule

Sounds like it's time for Cole and Malladus to return. Forget building your vehicle contraptions, you're laying railroad tracks across the entire world now!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

QR Code Geass posted:

It was amazing what they accomplished but it took a lot of people a lot of time to do that.

Yeah, as amazing as TotK is, I would really like to not have to wait another six goddamn years for the next one :shepicide:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
If they're making an all new map, it almost certainly will take 5 or 6 years.

But if there's anyone I trust to make one, it's Nintendo/Monolith Soft.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

You actually destroy/kill Ganon(dorf) in the majority of his appearances. Problem is he's just too stubborn to stay dead no matter how "final" the previous game made his death.
LoZ: Killed
AoL: Confirmed as dead, minions want to revive him.
LttP: Killed
LA: Doesn't appear
OoT: Sealed
MM: Doesn't appear
WW: Has a sword violently thrust through his skull and into his gray matter and then turns to stone. Which the former is pretty lethal but petrified monsters with magic items impaled on them with "Sealed ancient evil: Do not remove sealing artifact" written on them is literally how TotK starts...
TP: Dead via sword impalement followed by neck snapping.
SS: He's kinda sorta not in it, but kinda sorta him dies and says actual him will be born later to be a jerk.
LBW: YugaGanon just kinda explodes?
BotW: Crisis of Infinite Ganon's is killed forever, totally, completely, no more Ganons forever.
TotK: So here's this guy named Ganon...
Oracle Games: He's dead, gets partially revived, then rekilled.
DS games: PH was so bad I never finished it to see if ganon was in it and left such a sour taste in my mouth I didn't even try ST.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Oh please no, I just couldn't deal with Link slipping down the timestream when it's raining.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Jerusalem posted:

And does he control his travel through time with some sort of musical instrument?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Klungar posted:

And does he control his travel through time with some sort of musical instrument?

It's an accordion, you strum the keyboard upwards to go forward in time, and downwards to go back

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
^^ turns out Kass is missing in TotK because he strummed to hard and time traveled

I just want the next game to have Hyrule castle still be up on a rock pillar with a bunch of new structures built up around it (lift platforms or something).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I want the next game to be all side quests where you the most powerful being in the world helps people find that note from grandma that tells them how to make oatmeal cookies.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Elephanthead posted:

I want the next game to be all side quests where you the most powerful being in the world helps people find that note from grandma that tells them how to make oatmeal cookies.

Majora's Mask on a BOTW-size map :hmmyes:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It's time to set another Zelda in North Hyrule so we can get a lore dump about why they named a village after Mido.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

galagazombie posted:

I was pretty miffed that Hudson Construction has signs all over the game world, you send them all over the place to do oddjobs for the various regions, you even help send Hudson's daughter directly to Gerudo Town, and when you shell out $$$$ to build the second style of Modular Home that Hudson is making (to easily provide housing all across Hyrule, you see) you can build it in exactly one fuckin spot.

Hudson, you just sent your daughter in a flying machine to, literally, the opposite side of the loving kingdom. Your homes are well-suited for a wide variety of environments because they don't have to stay stuck with a single type of footprint, they break down into individual, easily-transportable pieces, and you trust air travel in this game to the degree that you let your only daughter use it to cross the entire kingdom at the height of Ganondorf's power! Let me build my house someplace useful!