Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
There’s a small to medium chance that my managers don’t realise that I technically have nothing to do at work anymore. I spent more time making coffee this morning than I did at my computer. I wonder how long it will be until they figure it out. 😅

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Creature posted:

There’s a small to medium chance that my managers don’t realise that I technically have nothing to do at work anymore. I spent more time making coffee this morning than I did at my computer. I wonder how long it will be until they figure it out. 😅

God speed

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Creature posted:

Show up to every meeting that gets put on your calendar and be engaged enough in those meetings so people will remember that you were there.

Occasionally volunteer to help out a coworker on their stuff when it gets brought up in one of these meetings.

That should buy you about 1-2 years, minimum.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Shoehead posted:

Lol I typed something big up here but it might be incriminating, but let's just say MY taxes are paid and I made sure of it and as for what she DID with my taxes, and how she reported my earnings, well what does your heart tell you?

My heart? that's only for my partner and a few friends. My jaded brain tells me she lost it on the way to the bank, or gambled it away, or based on your past descriptions, straight up lost it somewhere and doesn't remember where and its TOTALLY your fault :D. How close am i?

Creature posted:

Along with the other posters, try to find projects to involve yourself in and be a helpful note taker. Alternatively, is there documentation about a process or something that hasn't been updated in forever? Update it, you can at least point to work you've done.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 1, 2023

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Be like that one story where the goon is forgotten and puts himself in charge of safety

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Be the George Costanza working at Play Now episode reality!

There are 2 ways out of my work and they are putting a water line across a road past the exit on one side so 2/3 of the road is one way traffic only.

Phase one is expected to take 4-8 weeks with another shorter phase a month or 2 later.

Where I work has like 5000 people and another business has almost that many that also uses that road.

We all get out at roughly the same time and it's a nightmare before this but now it's taking me up to 30 minutes to even get off the site.

I hope an ambulance or fire truck doesn't need to use this road.

I could go the other way but it puts me 10 miles out of the way and then in rush hour 5-10mph freeway traffic where I pop out.

Before this construction I've had days where I averaged 13 miles per hour and now it's much worse.

We could easily alleviate this with some more staggered shifts, they were supposed to change one of the traffic lights to let more than 10 cars through a cycle, but I haven't noticed a difference.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The costume contest was out on social media and the owner is getting no votes but the HR person is getting a suspicious flurry of votes form accounts with no activity or of people that know her personally.

The prize is a 25$ Amazon gift card.

I hope for blood to be drawn.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hotel Kpro posted:

Be like that one story where the goon is forgotten and puts himself in charge of safety

Mike Ehrmantraut?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Creature posted:

When I got my position everything was on fire constantly due to my predecessors being garbage(Sysadmin). I spent my first years working my rear end off to actually fix things, set up new servers, migrating customers, automating scripts etc etc and now I have so much free time on my job that my biggest stress factor is my managers figuring out how much free time I actually have managing these things :v:

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 2, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I once worked in a call center doing QA and the call recording system went down while the center was in the middle of a major technical overhaul and the IT department told us that restoring call recording was not a priority. I spent 2 and a half months getting paid to play Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup in my browser before they decided it would be better to have us Y-Jack into calls while sitting next to the reps and audit them live, which is when I quit. Enjoy it while you can, goon :hai:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Yeah, we’re heading into a slow period so today I read summaries of every Stephen King story I hadn’t read yet to see if there was one that grabbed me.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

IUG posted:

Mike Ehrmantraut?

https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Our 401k match is turning into a company administered retirement program that as near as I can tell is all of the worst things of a pension and a 401k combined. Love to lock half my retirement cash flow into some nebulous managed fund pegged to Treasury bonds because ???

Just like the absolute mark-est language used to announce this like "industry standard benefits" and "your retirement account will never go down." You know what else won't go down during a market downturn? My cost basis when I get my match to buy index funds at the downturn rate.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Broke: putting instructions in the order they should be completed, because it's the same for everyone
Woke: "users should read the table of contents and just know from that which order to do the instructions"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Killingyouguy! posted:

Broke: putting instructions in the order they should be completed, because it's the same for everyone
Woke: "users should read the table of contents and just know from that which order to do the instructions"

No jury would convict

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
So I got an invite for onboarding to work at the place that I was reduced from at the beginning of the year and per SNAP guidelines, I have to accept any job I am offered. It has been 2 months since I applied for it and I had heard nothing since until random invite. So that job starts on the 13th.

I STILL don’t have any work until then and probably won’t be receiving a paycheck until the beginning of December.

I had my fingers crossed that dataannotation.tech would have work for me, since they were nice enough to pay me for taking their tests, but nothing from them either.

I’ve seen people here say things like,”well you might need to do proofreading in the mean time“ and I would like to know where I find that kind of work. ‘Cause I literally have no money, my car registration just expired, my cats need food and litter and are picky about both, and I need to pick up my ADHD meds around when the lovely job in the building that causes migraines starts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The objective I fought hard to not have included because its unmeasurable nonsense has been recorded as a rousing triple the target number success. Am I now bragging nonstop that Im the best? You betcha.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Why is Product Development having the Sales Team research and decide what tariffs codes our products fall under?

The same Sales Team that that classified a multi tool pen as a knife.

I'd rather you have chatGPT classify items.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ravus Ursus posted:

Why is Product Development having the Sales Team research and decide what tariffs codes our products fall under?

The same Sales Team that that classified a multi tool pen as a knife.

I'd rather you have chatGPT classify items.

It'd probably do a better job.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
My first thought is you guys don't have a logistics team?

The people who know this stuff?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Dameius posted:

It'd probably do a better job.

For fucks sake.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Reoxygenation posted:

My first thought is you guys don't have a logistics team?

The people who know this stuff?

The company is 70 people in toto.

When I started here they were using QuickBooks and making 100mil+ a year in revenue.

We switched to Netsuite and the idea of an item receipt and item fulfillment almost caused a riot.

Despite being an accountant I am also in charge of (I don't know how this happened) building, monitoring, and receiving product from the warehouse in China, the employee store where staff can buy our products at 10% over cost, data analytics for financials as the data analytics teams isn't able to view or draw down financial data from the system, I'm currently in charge of the employee gift for Xmas this year, and I'm apparently leading a meeting to unfuck the item development process because I found out what I received just today, spent 20initea asking 4 people "wouldn't this be easier if you just filled out a spec sheet and passed it to the next person until it was done" instead of the current orocess being, I think I hsve thst spec on teams... Or maybe we talked about it on a zoom meeting.

If you roll through my posts in this thread you can see some WILD poo poo happening here that I don't comment on anymore for reasons.

Honestly I've come around on this place. It's amazing once you've had your doc prescribe the right meds.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A life-ruining benzo habit will make any job tolerable, heck, even downright enjoyable. But if you really want to have a good time at work, have you considered injecting heroin?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Ravus Ursus posted:

We switched to Netsuite and the idea of an item receipt and item fulfillment almost caused a riot.

Just this alone is... what. That's like the basics..

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Reoxygenation posted:

Just this alone is... what. That's like the basics..

My first day here I alt tabbed to switch files and the VP of finance (please understand finance is 5 people. AR clerk, AR manager, AP manager, me, and the VP of finance) told me I was now IT for the department.

There is no IT in this company. It's me and a dude who likes Halo alot and is also good with v lookups.

Their QB set up made it so Billing and item Receipts were the same transaction. So if product arrived short? You would edit the ALREADY PAYED BILL, to reduce the qty of the item, and then add an expense for inventory short/over and list in the memo field how many of what item at what dollar rate were missing.

I'm telling you, every day is a treat.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ravus Ursus posted:

My first day here I alt tabbed to switch files and the VP of finance (please understand finance is 5 people. AR clerk, AR manager, AP manager, me, and the VP of finance) told me I was now IT for the department.

There is no IT in this company. It's me and a dude who likes Halo alot and is also good with v lookups.

Their QB set up made it so Billing and item Receipts were the same transaction. So if product arrived short? You would edit the ALREADY PAYED BILL, to reduce the qty of the item, and then add an expense for inventory short/over and list in the memo field how many of what item at what dollar rate were missing.

I'm telling you, every day is a treat.

Its poo poo like this that makes me laugh when people loudly proclaim that private enterprise is always more efficient than the government.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I love the idea of seeing someone alt tab for the first time and instantly being so blown away, you just put them in charge of everything. "Everyone else: take notes"

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I love the idea of seeing someone alt tab for the first time and instantly being so blown away, you just put them in charge of everything. "Everyone else: take notes"

Gotta save WinKey+Tab for when you really wanna hit ‘em with the razzle-dazzle.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

we got a new receptionist at work and now calls to my direct line are getting routed seemingly at random to everyone else, not always people in the office or even at our location and im the only person it's happening to

this owns so much lmao

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I stopped someone dead mid sentence because they saw me do ctrl+shift+left, backspace to change a term they were dictating and it took them a solid 5 second pause to start describing what they saw to ask me how to do it.

They were younger than me.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Dameius posted:

I stopped someone dead mid sentence because they saw me do ctrl+shift+left, backspace to change a term they were dictating and it took them a solid 5 second pause to start describing what they saw to ask me how to do it.

They were younger than me.

Years ago I worked for a company acquired by $genericMultinationalBigCorp and was offended at the existence of “Working With Millenials” as a training offering — now I look forward to the day I strut my stuff in the inevitable “Working with Gen-Alpha” training unit where I dazzle a bunch of iPad kids with my arcane knowledge of keyboard shortcuts.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

ElehemEare posted:

Gotta save WinKey+Tab for when you really wanna hit ‘em with the razzle-dazzle.

win+shift+arrows to move windows between monitors is always a good one

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you really want to blow their minds, use the keyboard shortcuts to make a new virtual desktop and tab between them.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Ravus Ursus posted:

For fucks sake.

uuuhhh the HS nomenclature only has 6 digits. That's not an HS code. Instead it's confidently giving you a country-specific tariff code for an unnamed country. To figure out the actual tariff you would need to know both countries involved.

also pretty sure it wouldn't fall under that code at all but i have to say im not a pen expert.

speaking of chatgpt, ive got a new employee whose first language isn't the same as our local working language and i noticed during a screen share that they basically always have chatgpt open and im starting to wonder if they're not running everything i say through it and that's why they're constantly doing the wrong thing?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I taught a boss Win + D and Win + L and he was embarrassingly grateful.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
E: actually no. Nope no not doing that

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Marketing decided to send everyone in the company, unsolicited, an expensive piece of navel-gazing swag while in the middle of compensation review where many folks are going on multiple years of not even getting a cost-of-living adjustment.

And hey, it’s not like ditching the swag would have meant any more raises, but it’s pretty out of touch from a bunch of folks whose jobs are to read the room.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I made a pivot table and got called a loving wizard.

ShimaTetsuo posted:

uuuhhh the HS nomenclature only has 6 digits. That's not an HS code. Instead it's confidently giving you a country-specific tariff code for an unnamed country. To figure out the actual tariff you would need to know both countries involved.

also pretty sure it wouldn't fall unduer that code at all but i have to say im not a pen expert.

It's valid. It's subheadings for specificity that cause it to get wierd. And it's not formatted correctly. And I know enough to look at what country I'm pulling from to verify the legislative codes. It may be luck but it pulled the code we used one the first go better than the sales team did after hours of research.

Either way this poo poo gets sent to our customs broker who modifies it when he sees a variation and kicks it back to us to update. It's an ongoing dialogue because we make some weird poo poo.

This ultimately ended up been tagged as a pen because the prior rulings we referenced dictated that the primary function was what should be used as a baseline when dealing with multipart or kit products.

tactlessbastard posted:

I taught a boss Win + D and Win + L and he was embarrassingly grateful.

I watched a woman open an Excel file, write a number down on a post it note, close the file, open a new one, and type in the number from the post it. I almost had a stroke. She was recently promoted to account manager. The ecom teams hates her loving guts because she kicks all product listing work to them because she can't computer.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Marketing decided to send everyone in the company, unsolicited, an expensive piece of navel-gazing swag while in the middle of compensation review where many folks are going on multiple years of not even getting a cost-of-living adjustment.

And hey, it’s not like ditching the swag would have meant any more raises, but it’s pretty out of touch from a bunch of folks whose jobs are to read the room.

The CEO has graciously allowed us all to get a single Corp branded long sleeve t shirt for free as well as a listing of "at cost" Corp branded outerwear we can do a one time order of.

I guess the mermaid budget ate up all the holiday gift monies.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blue Moonlight posted:

but it’s pretty out of touch from a bunch of folks whose jobs are to read the room.

They are people persons. They deal with people. It's not their job to give a gently caress about servants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

All of this is incredible. I guess I have to trawl the thread for your posts.