Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't mind having outlook/teams on my personal phone because I bill a contact hour for each time I'm required to do *anything*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

evil_bunnY posted:

Skill issue (turn it the gently caress off). And enjoy the breaaaaaak :)

Right? Sundae is definitely playing this matchup wrong.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Separate work/personal devices all the way. And keep them separate, don't have cat pictures or whatever on your work device.

There are several different flavours of complication that can come from putting personal stuff on a device that your workplace potentially has access to, and the minor inconvenience of consistently switching is worth it to never have to worry about those.

If your work is utterly chill about such things, keep in mind that policies/attitudes can change but digital information is forever.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 31, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jenkl posted:

Right? Sundae is definitely playing this matchup wrong.

I wouldn't be able to turn it off anyway. It's a 24/7 on-call thing, but it's supposed to be for actual loving emergencies and not some QA dude reading documents past midnight. It's supposed to be for things like "Hey, there's a flood in your lab" or things like that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So it's less of a "vacation" per se and more of a you can WFH with permission for a few weeks.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

So it's less of a "vacation" per se and more of a you can WFH with permission for a few weeks.

Nah I'm going to India. The phone is staying here; it would do me no good there anyway :D

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Sundae posted:

Nah I'm going to India. The phone is staying here; it would do me no good there anyway :D

Ok phew you gotta find some way to disconnect.

You gotta start chopping off heads when they misuse the emergency line.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My company phone is sitting silenced in a drawer because I'm in the middle of a two week vacation.

I did pick it up and use it yesterday morning to read twitter because my personal phone was dead and just a light scan of my notifications shows that the first morning of my leave my skip level emailed me asking what happened to a certain report (that I had completed & submitted to my boss a week before I left)

Later that day I had a complaint from my boss about the cover on my TPS report so I can conclude he must have gotten his peepee slapped.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I got a work phone and it is nice to not have even the temptation to look at Slack or work email on the personal phone after 5 pm. i’m not sure why they gave me one because I don’t need it need it, but I’m not gonna argue it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They switched us to "BYOD with partition"-only this week and the reimbursement doesn't even cover a line. I never felt more free watching the apps delete their data.

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.
I'm in a "best of both worlds" situation with my work phone. I was provided a work phone years ago as I was in a position that would require me to respond to escalations after-hours. Today, my role doesn't require me to be on-call at all however I was able to keep my work phone. I use it exclusively for personal use and practically nobody outside of my boss has my number at work. I even offered to take over my work plan and my boss just told me it wasn't necessary and to just enjoy the free service. Nobody else on my team has a work phone.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Had a meeting yesterday about a "deep dive" into a problem that started with a guy that's already been annoying me going into this description of what he thinks a process is, which I corrected, and then proceeded to say "no well what I'm saying is it works like..." Over and over. I hate this sort of thing because if the detail isn't right then you don't even understand the problem let alone the solution, and yet he just refuses to listen.

Anyway afterwards I realised one of the items I'd mentioned was incorrect and decided to flag this to everyone on it, be the bigger man and all that. Overnight the same guy sends a mail saying "I think you are missing the problem because it is actually...." fucks' sake really? You're going to keep doing this?

It's good to have a defined enemy though I guess.

Trabant posted:

OK, but have you considered:

https://i.imgur.com/xcQtB3P.mp4

jfc lol, I sent this to everyone I know

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Scrum posted:

I'm in a "best of both worlds" situation with my work phone. I was provided a work phone years ago as I was in a position that would require me to respond to escalations after-hours. Today, my role doesn't require me to be on-call at all however I was able to keep my work phone. I use it exclusively for personal use and practically nobody outside of my boss has my number at work. I even offered to take over my work plan and my boss just told me it wasn't necessary and to just enjoy the free service. Nobody else on my team has a work phone.

Best of both worlds is your employer just pays a biweekly stipend amounting to half of your phone bill, doesn't install any spyware on it, and pays you extra every time you get called.

It's wonderful. Shame it will only ever happen at a very small company where you report directly to the owner.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

That motherfucker sent an email overnight saying "I think you are comparing apples and oranges here and the problem is getting confused, what I think the issue is is.....".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Best of both worlds is your employer just pays a biweekly stipend amounting to half of your phone bill, doesn't install any spyware on it, and pays you extra every time you get called.

It's wonderful. Shame it will only ever happen at a very small company where you report directly to the owner.

I get all that! Except the paid extra but my job is a very clear "You are a fire fighter" so the "extra" time is just baked into my salary. And I'm really good at making off-hour calls EVERYONES problem so at this point it's really rare that I get paged.

I also require people to go through our paging system vs calling me directly so it's actually tracked.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah that's really huge. That's the key. You have to set things up so that calling you is more of a hassle for the caller than dealing with the problem themselves. That way they will only call you if they really truly are not able to put the fire out on their own.

And then after you put it out, you sit down with them and tell them "Do this, that, and that--that's how to fix X the next time it comes up." And hold them to it if they try to call you about X again.

It's a lot of work you have to put in up front to make that happen. And you have to be willing to deal with people resenting you for making them, y'know, do work. But it saves you so much more work, hassle, and stress on down the road.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Eric the Mauve posted:

And then after you put it out, you sit down with them and tell them "Do this, that, and that--that's how to fix X the next time it comes up." And hold them to it if they try to call you about X again.

This isn't always doable or appropriate, but where possible I like being able to store shared notes about how to handle things and just point people to them instead of re-explaining.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yep. Full Post-Mortems for incidents, when you page out the main prod-support channel gets lit up with who paged who so VPs see that in the morning. The other thing I did which was hugely successful is when I took over the team I insisted that myself and my managers were all part of the regular rotation. Obviously it meant more work for me at first, but a bunch of broken process got fixed in 1 orbit, people learned fast that paging might get you a director so you better have your poo poo in line, and our escalation process is almost vestigial since every on-call engineer is empowered to act just like I do since we're in the same role when we're paged. Why escalate when you already know what your director is going to do?

There's some incidents that still go pear shaped and need extra help, that's always going to happen. But honestly its probably been years since I was paged and it was bullshit.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Wife's company is rolling out an ESPP, on a biannual schedule. Listening in to this HR guy try to run a (re)explainer because the first batch is about to hit, 6 months after initial election.

He hasn't muted anyone. There are a ton of people just yelling out misinformation along with the dumbest questions I have ever heard. I do not know how these people are loving functional in their daily lives. I'm laughing tho, 'cus I bet the person who was all "CAN I ASK A QUESTION CAN I ASK A QUESTION WHY DO I NOT SEE ANY MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT YET??" (because there is still another 4 weeks, he has said that multiple times!), is probably pulling down 300K+.

The plan was always "get the shares at 15% off the lower of the beginning/ending price", and people are swearing "THE PLAN CHANGED, IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OFF THE LOWEST PRICE AT ANY POINT!" There is no way I could ever run one of these. Within 5 minutes I would be screaming "what is your name, who is your manager, how the hell do you work here????"

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Baddog posted:

I would be screaming "what is your name, who is your manager, how the hell do you work here????"

There is no mute, nothing is stopping you?!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Every day for the next 2 weeks I have at least 2.5 hours a day meetings for "knowledge transfer", lol. A lot of just showing where the onenotes are and then pissing off for the remaining 2 hours.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We had a guy in our benefits meeting arguing that we shouldn't get Presidents Day off (because Biden)

Working an extra day to own the libs :bravo:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Roundboy posted:

There is no mute, nothing is stopping you?!

My wife is stopping me!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

Wife's company is rolling out an ESPP, on a biannual schedule. Listening in to this HR guy try to run a (re)explainer because the first batch is about to hit, 6 months after initial election.

He hasn't muted anyone. There are a ton of people just yelling out misinformation along with the dumbest questions I have ever heard. I do not know how these people are loving functional in their daily lives. I'm laughing tho, 'cus I bet the person who was all "CAN I ASK A QUESTION CAN I ASK A QUESTION WHY DO I NOT SEE ANY MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT YET??" (because there is still another 4 weeks, he has said that multiple times!), is probably pulling down 300K+.

The plan was always "get the shares at 15% off the lower of the beginning/ending price", and people are swearing "THE PLAN CHANGED, IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OFF THE LOWEST PRICE AT ANY POINT!" There is no way I could ever run one of these. Within 5 minutes I would be screaming "what is your name, who is your manager, how the hell do you work here????"

We have a social finance channel in our work slack (big tech co, tens of thousands of employees) and I ESPP accounts for the vast majority of the questions. It’s endless.

Not muting everyone but yourself is madness tho. Incompetence.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I was supposed to train a new guy in my job this week since it’s my last week but he no showed on Monday and got his start date pushed back to next week. Oh well, sounds like it’s someone else’s job now

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

We had a guy in our benefits meeting arguing that we shouldn't get Presidents Day off (because Biden)

Working an extra day to own the libs :bravo:

Libs aside, how's that going to work out for his career?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If you're a slide monkey, this might be relevant:

https://i.imgur.com/NHWaZHM.mp4

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Trabant posted:

If you're a slide monkey, this might be relevant:

Alternatively, be better at designing and presenting content someone gives a poo poo about

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

spiritual bypass posted:

Libs aside, how's that going to work out for his career?

Probably not good. I yeeted myself out of the meeting once MLK day and Juneteenth got brought up.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

pmchem posted:

Alternatively, be better at designing and presenting content someone gives a poo poo about

We're talking corporate here. If you don't think flashy beats smart any day... where do you work, because I want in.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

lol if you think there’s any content from my job I would actually give poo poo about

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

lol just saw a news article saying wework is filing for bankruptcy next week, I wish it could have been put off for another week so I am fully gone.

I raised this with facilities to ask if they have a plan in case it happens for our work space with a bunch of development servers and monitors etc and unsurprisingly nothing ever came of that.

Good luck to whoever has to move all that poo poo out if they can even access it!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
*frantically copying stuff off servers that are physically inaccessible but still on the network while you watch the utilities rep arrive to cut off the power, but in dramatic slow motion*

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

pmchem posted:

What if I’m doing a presentation on the blueberry market

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

priznat posted:

lol just saw a news article saying wework is filing for bankruptcy next week, I wish it could have been put off for another week so I am fully gone.

I raised this with facilities to ask if they have a plan in case it happens for our work space with a bunch of development servers and monitors etc and unsurprisingly nothing ever came of that.

Good luck to whoever has to move all that poo poo out if they can even access it!

Going bankrupt doesn't mean they'll immediately shutter everything up, I'm guessing places that are getting actual rent from people will keep going for months. They have entire empty floors or places that are only getting money on demand. Those places will probably get closed down quickly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lockback posted:

Going bankrupt doesn't mean they'll immediately shutter everything up, I'm guessing places that are getting actual rent from people will keep going for months. They have entire empty floors or places that are only getting money on demand. Those places will probably get closed down quickly.

Hopefully this is the case but it seems like a risk. I think you’re right though it shouldn’t be an issue for the foreseeable future.

I just was really worried I would get a panicked call to come in and start packing stuff up to bring god knows where. After the 10th it is no longer my problem!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pmchem posted:

Oh sure, let me commute from my home in Lemuria to the office in Atlantis on my unicorn so I can get right on that.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

What if I’m doing a presentation on the blueberry market

well then ok

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the cool new Musk thing was to ban powerpoints. This lets leadership cut off every pitch before the premise is even formed so they can give it not fair shake

Oh but hey, would you be able to put those thoughts together for me later? Just high level, preferably in bullet points please. Actually, can you replace half of the words with graphics, I get anxiety when I see pages of text. By tonight please? Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

God dammit he's at it again. "Please see attached evidence that these cases are different to the ones you are describing" dude they are the same except for the 4th one which is wrong and doesn't happen.

Then "I don't understand why in 2018 when we had a problem it was fixed for us in a week?" because the reason there's a problem now is that the rushed 2018 solution wasn't forward looking and everyone was just doing random poo poo to fix things. You use a shared process now, it's not getting changed just for you. In fact, why did you migrate to the shared service if it didn't work for you in the first place?