Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Alan Wake parts of Alan Wake 2 are going to give me a loving heart attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Blockhouse posted:

The Alan Wake parts of Alan Wake 2 are going to give me a loving heart attack

The wandering the subway while shadows burble threats at you and sometimes hit you with axes parts?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Saga Anderson's one woman quest to pet every moose head in Bright Falls is charming.

It almost makes up for the game saddling me with the bane of every survival horror fan: a slow but efficient weapon with recoverable ammo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fil5000 posted:

The wandering the subway while shadows burble threats at you and sometimes hit you with axes parts?

Yes, exactly Not knowing which are going to swing on me until they're already doing it makes every single fight a jump scare

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm surprised people are beating AW2 so quickly. I'm almost 15 hours in and it feels like I still have quite a ways to go. Admittedly I did get kinda lost in a couple places.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

exquisite tea posted:

I'm surprised people are beating AW2 so quickly. I'm almost 15 hours in and it feels like I still have quite a ways to go. Admittedly I did get kinda lost in a couple places.

Baby Len and I are plugging away slowly at it. I just got the ability to bounce back and forth between characters last night and did a (Alan Spoiler) musical segment which was bonkers. I did set it to easy though because I was tired of getting murdered

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
One thing I don't like about Alan Wake II so far is that I feel no agency whatsoever. Not only does Saga has Francis York Morgan's magical profiling (arguably better since York only saw little clues) but is also led by a series of manuscript pages that precicely explain everything that'll happen.
I assume that might change, but it reminded me of Deadly Premonition 2, which is a game that doesn't really have a story, since you just encounter a magical shaman who gives you a clue every time you need anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It’s not a game where you as the player are expected to influence the outcome in any way. You are thematically and quite literally participating in the active retelling of a story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean deadly premonition 2 has a story. it just, is very confused about what it wants to do with the murder mystery half of the plot, and ends up not really doing anything with it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/danksilenthill/status/1719423152516944099?t=-g2vPRutG3RY5EbHg4fg9g&s=19

Idk I think Konami has hit the home run. Silent hill fans are eating well

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lmao

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

"Walter Sullivan circumcision saga" is not something I thought I would learn about today, but I'm glad I did

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i mean deadly premonition 2 has a story. it just, is very confused about what it wants to do with the murder mystery half of the plot, and ends up not really doing anything with it
Yeah that's more what I meant, considering you end up going to a crime scene after you already know the murderer's identity. Such a weird mess.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the sh thing feels like the best conclusion to a year of truly incredible gaming imo

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Still have faith Ryukishi07 can save the entire Silent Hill franchise with Silent Hill f.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Redezga posted:

Still have faith Ryukishi07 can save the entire Silent Hill franchise with Silent Hill f.

This.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Beside the sh project by r07 and bloober there were a few others. Those could still be interesting.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

"Here comes cults!"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't. The last Higurashi anime was terrible

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought he didn't write that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hope it massively flops so he can go back to writing Ciconia 2.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Forgive me, everyone, for I am about to care.

Basic Chunnel posted:

It’s no longer enough to be earnest. Earnestness is now a crutch used to wave away clumsiness.

They hate you because you spoke the truth, friend. Though I'll add that earnestness isn't the sole culprit here; Sam Lake, like many other writers, is in the terminal stages of Christopher Nolan's Disease.

I've been a professional writer (novels, video games, short stories) for over a decade and in that time I've watched earnestness ascend from bare-minimum ingredient to impenetrable criticism shield. "I worked really hard on this, and you had better love everything about it and shower me with praise because I, The Artist, dared to show up." But Tarantino stopped being the primary source of this problem the very moment that Inception hit theaters.

You can dazzle audiences with spectacle, but if you can't tell a competent story while doing so then you'll lose any engagement with them the moment the credits roll. With something like AW2 there's simply nothing to attach to or get invested in aside from 'Will insert plot thing here be able to insert plot thing here in time for the writers to introduce another ultimately inconsequential plot thing here??' The only place left to go at that point is to get brighter lights and louder sounds, more references/homages, increase the spectacle, keep the audience distracted so they never notice you have nothing to say. Tarantino actually understood this, until Hateful Eight when he forgot all about it and never recovered.

My first writing mentor once gave me the best advice I'd ever gotten, and will probably ever get: "Plot is what happens, story is why it matters. Know the difference between them, don't forget which one is more important."

story

AW2 is all spectacle. A million things happen, but nothing happens. Which is a bummer because the first game (made in the Time Before Nolan) was a sharply focused story about the artist's struggle, and the personal cost of being consumed/controlled by their own creations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

There's a manuscript page in Alan Wake that kind of illustrates my point -

Page 12: Wake and Night Springs

Even after all this time, hearing the Night Springs theme caused a surge of conflicting emotions in me.

It had been my first real writing gig. Barry had known a guy who knew a guy, and suddenly I'd been a semi-regular writer on the show. I'd always been ashamed of the job, felt it was trash. I had wanted to be an artist, a novelist.

I'd been naive back then. It had taken a long time to learn to be proud of the work.

I'm not sure that illustrates your point at all, because that page is from the first game, which I agree was very well written, had a lot to say, and helped me feel very seen back when I was a struggling artist. That's the beating the heart of AW1. Where did that go for AW2?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought he didn't write that.

he wrote the original script, the anime staff made alterations to it. the manga seemed a bit closer to his original script and was... not as horrible? but on the whole sotsugyou's original concept is still a mix of decent ideas and very, very weird ones, his idea for how to explore satoko in a way that gives her more agency unavoidably has to run into the problems of rika doing stupid things for no reason and satoko doing awful things for no reason. ryukishi is, not consistent. this isn't an indictment of him exactly cause i think within all of his messier writing you can find a little bit of what makes his better work cool it's just very common for him to fall into his worst traits. higanbana's pretty illustrative of this because there are genuinely good stories in there you just, also have to read some pretty bad ones

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 1, 2023

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Gotten to the part of AW2 where you play as Alan and it seems better story-wise. poo poo happens that's just way weirder and more meta.
I'm a bit worried about batteries at all times, since it seems like enemies can respawn, though. At the beginning of the game I thought it would be like Doom Eternal chainsaw mechanic where they'd restore one pip, but no, if you run out, you run out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure that AW2 has some RE4-style adaptive difficulty where you're more likely to find stuff in containers as you're running out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like the split character gimmick just because the different styles of level design between the indoors, more linear Alan levels and the more open Saga levels makes for good pacing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It definitely changes your pickups, not always for the better. I quickloaded a few times because I kept loving something up, and each time the box right beside me had bullets and some first aid stuff. Until the final time I reloaded, when it only had bullets :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

I'm pretty sure that AW2 has some RE4-style adaptive difficulty where you're more likely to find stuff in containers as you're running out.

Remedy have been doing that since before RE4....

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Vookatos posted:

Gotten to the part of AW2 where you play as Alan and it seems better story-wise. poo poo happens that's just way weirder and more meta.
I'm a bit worried about batteries at all times, since it seems like enemies can respawn, though. At the beginning of the game I thought it would be like Doom Eternal chainsaw mechanic where they'd restore one pip, but no, if you run out, you run out.

Generally I'd say if you reckon you're not gonna be in the area for a puzzle or looting an area for the first time, in general exploring, then you're better off running from enemies rather than using the resources on them, be that bullets/flashlight charges.

It seems to not respawn enemies during actual story segments/setpieces as Saga to me (like it'll spawn in enemies when you get a key item or whatever, but then if you kill those and dick about in the area for ages, I've not had it spawn more stuff at that point. for example) but the generic shadows in the Alan Wake sections do respawn, you can just shine your light on them without boosting it to make them disperse, if they advance on you purposefully or have a weapon then they're actual enemies and the boost will reveal them for shooting, otherwise they're just there to unnerve you. You can also get an upgrade for Alan that gives you charges when you kill enemies, there might be a charm that does similar for Saga maybe. I've not found I have to worry about batteries much personally, playing on hard.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I bought Alan Wake Remastered, and the description says it's the definitive edition with "all the story dlc".

But this is a lie.

It doesn't have American Nightmare.

I'm a little confused as to why but mostly mad they loving lied to me?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
american nightmare isn't dlc, it's always been a separate game. its original launch was an xbox live arcade release. it's like dead rising case zero/west except not locked to a 20 year old storefront

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Meowywitch posted:

I bought Alan Wake Remastered, and the description says it's the definitive edition with "all the story dlc".

But this is a lie.

It doesn't have American Nightmare.

I'm a little confused as to why but mostly mad they loving lied to me?

I mean it's weird that they don't include it but also American Nightmare wasn't actually DLC, it was sold as an entirely separate "sequel".

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh OK...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Remedy have been doing that since before RE4....

The Max Payne adaptive difficulty was hilarious because if you didn't let the whole drawn-out death animation play in full and just hit quickload, it didn't count and the difficulty just kept going up lol

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Max Payne adaptive difficulty was hilarious because if you didn't let the whole drawn-out death animation play in full and just hit quickload, it didn't count and the difficulty just kept going up lol

I think I remember having a ton of trouble near the end with.... rockets I think probably due to this when I played around release.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah max payne 1 got the rep as being the hardest poo poo ever just cause nobody knew they were actively making it harder for themselves by tricking the game into thinking you were an action god

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think American Nightmare is actually considered canon at this point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think American Nightmare is actually considered canon at this point

It is but only barely and the ending is soft-rewritten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

American Nightmare isn't really canon anymore either. Well. It sort of is, but the ending of American Nightmare isn't canon. It was originally just going to be a wave based shooter but then when Remedy weren't sure if they'd ever be able to make an Alan Wake 2, they retrofitted it to be a conclusion to the story. But then Control and Alan Wake 2 came out and basically relegated American Nightmare to "it sort of happened but it didn't work and the ending of American Nightmare didn't happen" territory.