Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I’m waiting until stutters are sorted before setting up a championship in our club. One shots feel like they might be a bit unfair for people with bad stutters since they lead to awful crashes.

Sorry your wheel was so much trouble. Mine all needed to have type specified and have everything configured, but I guess I sort of expect that with the weird-rear end hardware combo I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I had to have G-Hub running on first boot to make it see my wheel.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Eyud posted:

WRC good

Confirm after sorting out wheel issues... and staying up way too late finishing all the rally school (lol them not having an achievement for it), doing some time trial, and getting through the first career event. Definitely feels great compared to my futile attempts to learn Dirt Rally 2.0 with a wheel + VR after 100+ hours of it (and more OG Dirt Rally) with controller and no VR.

Look forward to them sorting the stutters which for me seem to only happen like 3-4 times a stage when it hangs for like a second to keep loading the later bits but otherwise pretty smooth performance-wise having defaulted to ultra quality w/ 1440p. Also got a tad annoyed with the camera--in the absence of VR was using dashcam, but for the Lancia Fulvia it drops the dashcam below the wipers so most of your view is just filled with muddy windshield that can't be cleaned; sorted it though by switching to cockpit and just mashing the seat unreasonably forward/up to do my best Elfyn Evans impression of having my face camera as close to the windshield as humanly possible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How is WRC on Xbox Series X? With a Fanatec wheel.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh heck yeah, forgot WRC came out. Looking forward to giving that a try on the gamepass trial thing later.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The guy that made the telemetry patch for the previous WRC games updated it for EA's. I haven't tried it yet, but I will later after work.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/wrc-telemetry-patch.38991/

Guessing it just fakes being Dirt Rally 2.0 like the previous variants did. Not perfect, but at least it's better than nothing. While I don't vouch that it won't destroy your computer and steal all your apes, it's been around and updated yearly for several years and nobody's said it's malicious.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Black Griffon posted:

I think that's sort of the point they're making though (and I think they know FM/GT aren't proper sims); you'd expect that cars would be easier to handle in a simcade rather than harder.

Ah, well that point went right past me!

Yeah, that’s definitely A Thing.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

First Bearpope championship is up:

An event for each season and the longest stage for each location :getin:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I really want a handbrake because I hate using a button, and this thing popped up in my search results but it looks uuuh potentially dodgy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dang I only got a couple races in but WRC is fun as hell. Some stuttering going on that might be textures caching or something but I could also probably stand to bump the graphics down a touch.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I really want a handbrake because I hate using a button, and this thing popped up in my search results but it looks uuuh potentially dodgy.

handbrakes are pretty simple devices, that one's designed to be bolted to a rig though, so whether you have the ability to do that will affect how good it feels to use

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

NtotheTC posted:

handbrakes are pretty simple devices, that one's designed to be bolted to a rig though, so whether you have the ability to do that will affect how good it feels to use

In some of the pics it's shown clamped to a desk in the manner of my wheel, but it's kinda moot anyway because I couldn't find a single site that sold it that wasn't tremendously sus. If I want a handbrake in Norway from a trusted site I basically have to go for a $300+ thrustmaster thing or something like that.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Black Griffon posted:

In some of the pics it's shown clamped to a desk in the manner of my wheel, but it's kinda moot anyway because I couldn't find a single site that sold it that wasn't tremendously sus. If I want a handbrake in Norway from a trusted site I basically have to go for a $300+ thrustmaster thing or something like that.

Does Fanatec not ship to Norway or something? They sell a handbrake for 130€ that seems pretty decent. I don't have one myself but after trying Dirt Rally 1 ages ago I kinda feel like I'll need one before I try any rallying again. Using a button for the handbrake really didn't do it for me.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Boar It posted:

Does Fanatec not ship to Norway or something? They sell a handbrake for 130€ that seems pretty decent. I don't have one myself but after trying Dirt Rally 1 ages ago I kinda feel like I'll need one before I try any rallying again. Using a button for the handbrake really didn't do it for me.

With import taxes the price increases considerably. Norway is not kind if you want to shop internationally.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat I might have to buy WRC, this is fun as gently caress. I always love how it feels like I'm going 150mph but then look at my speedometer and I'm going like 40 lol.

Also I think I got DQ'd from the club tournament because I had to leave during the first race :(

Edit: vv Hooray!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 2, 2023

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Eyud posted:

First Bearpope championship is up:

An event for each season and the longest stage for each location :getin:

Kinda hosed this up so I remade it, sorry to the one person who had run the first stage. Now it should start on Friday when the game is out for everyone, and each stage will be up for one day.

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019

Black Griffon posted:

I have this and it works about as well as you'd expect. Shows up as a "logitech rumble pad pro" and while it's technically analog, the deadzones are so big it might as well be a switch.

But it's not a real handbrake and we're not driving real cars so who cares?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Brackit posted:

we're not driving real cars

WE'RE NOT?!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

explosivo posted:

drat I might have to buy WRC, this is fun as gently caress. I always love how it feels like I'm going 150mph but then look at my speedometer and I'm going like 40 lol.

Also I think I got DQ'd from the club tournament because I had to leave during the first race :(

Edit: vv Hooray!

How are you playing it without buying it?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Brackit posted:

we're not driving real cars

Huge if true.

WRC has also spurned my "should I get a handbrake and/or shifter" thoughts--was easy to put off alongside my other gear upgrades as long as I was mostly sticking to circuit racing. Personally have a hard time justifying the cost of either for what seems like a modest immersion boost (I guess maybe a bit higher if actually using H-pattern w/ appropriate vehicles but :effort:) and probably infinitesimal gains in performance--seems handy when you have a big crash/spin to get going again easier compared to flappy paddles that rotate with the wheel... "why is my gear going up!?" *wheel cranked over 180 degrees panicking trying to get back on stage as fast as possible*

VelociBacon posted:

Think members of the EA monthly thing got like a 5 hour free trial or something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

If you have PC Game Pass you have EA Play and get a 5 hour trial of all EA's new releases.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah yeah sorry I should have specified the gamepass thing. You only get 5 hours of play time with the EA play tier you get with gamepass but you do get to play early.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Eyud posted:

Kinda hosed this up so I remade it, sorry to the one person who had run the first stage. Now it should start on Friday when the game is out for everyone, and each stage will be up for one day.

No worries. I rolled the car, as is tradition.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Brackit posted:

I have this and it works about as well as you'd expect. Shows up as a "logitech rumble pad pro" and while it's technically analog, the deadzones are so big it might as well be a switch.

But it's not a real handbrake and we're not driving real cars so who cares?

Can you clamp it to a desk without any additional bits and bobs? Still haven't found a shop that doesn't look like they'd also sell black market organs, but it's good to know.

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019

Black Griffon posted:

Can you clamp it to a desk without any additional bits and bobs? Still haven't found a shop that doesn't look like they'd also sell black market organs, but it's good to know.
No, you have to bolt it down, and it doesn't come with any hardware to do so. I got mine off aliexpress.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I really would recommend the Fanatec handbrake, even with the extra cost it will be so much better than that piece of crap.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Buying a handbrake really does feel like the last finger losing its grip on the edge of the abyss. This is your life now. This is video games to you.

I'll take a look at the Fanatec one.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Vando posted:

I really would recommend the Fanatec handbrake, even with the extra cost it will be so much better than that piece of crap.

Total cost ends up being something like $250, not taking into account that prices in general are different in the Norwegian economy and whatnot, and that kicks it up to "somewhere in the future" rather than "now", though I do think you're right.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There shouldn't be any import taxes outside of VAT should there? Either way it's better saving the ~€50 towards something good instead of setting it on fire for garbage.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Vando posted:

There shouldn't be any import taxes outside of VAT should there? Either way it's better saving the ~€50 towards something good instead of setting it on fire for garbage.

€180 for stick and clamp, €37 in shipping, 25% VAT on product price + shipping cost and a €12 surcharge for import services. At that point, this thing seems like a more attractive alternative, ending up at €168/$179 with a clamp included.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Black Griffon posted:

€180 for stick and clamp, €37 in shipping, 25% VAT on product price + shipping cost and a €12 surcharge for import services. At that point, this thing seems like a more attractive alternative, ending up at €168/$179 with a clamp included.

I got this one and like it. I was already using their Pit House software since I have the R9 base.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Black Griffon posted:

I wouldn't use the Fanatec clamp for the handbrake, it's way too much for what it is and you need the adapter on top of that. Just buy some wood/metal plating from your local hardware store and a couple of G clamps.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Black Griffon posted:

With import taxes the price increases considerably. Norway is not kind if you want to shop internationally.

I keep forgetting that Norway isn't in the EU. You silly oil barons.

Hej från Sverige. :v:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Vando posted:

I wouldn't use the Fanatec clamp for the handbrake, it's way too much for what it is and you need the adapter on top of that. Just buy some wood/metal plating from your local hardware store and a couple of G clamps.

Oh nah, it's a moza clamp.

Boar It posted:

I keep forgetting that Norway isn't in the EU. You silly oil barons.

Hej från Sverige. :v:

It's annoying at times, men i det minste er vi ikke under svenskekongen lenger!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Vando posted:

it used to stick right in the appropriate price range between weirdass knockoff and heusinkveld, but theres a bunch of inline loadcell ones now with about the same price (moza,simlab,etc) depends on how hamfisted you are, joint on the fanatec one can fail from fatigue.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

does anyone know a good seat or cockpit for tall people? im 6 foot 6 and if the wheel is the right length from my arms my legs are too close to the pedals, and if my legs are correct on the pedals my arms are too far from the wheel

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm not tall and I haven't used it personally. But I noticed that the Trak Racer TR80, the entire pedal mount looks to move independent of the uprights for the steering. In many other rigs, the pedals attach to the steering upright.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm gathering by the discussion here and the tutorial about it that I should be handbraking a whole lot more in rally races than I have been?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I think its more for fun and immersion than outright speed. I mostly use left foot braking to adjust angle and save the handbrake for the hairpins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

phosdex posted:

I'm not tall and I haven't used it personally. But I noticed that the Trak Racer TR80, the entire pedal mount looks to move independent of the uprights for the steering. In many other rigs, the pedals attach to the steering upright.

def gonna look more into it but a brief glance this might be perfect. thank you!