Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

havelock posted:

I uploaded one this morning - they just want name and dob. I haven't received any other messages from them yet, though. I'll let you know if I hear back.

Awesome, thanks.

Phlag posted:

My test2treat doctor said that state law (Maryland) requires a telephone call to begin any sort of treatment. The phone tag was a bit obnoxious, but it was extremely quick and painless once we actually connected. Other states might have similar requirements that would require more than just filling out a form or sending an email to get the prescription.

Huh, that's really interesting. I figured there was some sort of state specific thing going on but I know that here in WA some people have gotten it and others weren't able to. I contacted them this morning, and while they didn't explicitly state this, they implied that if you asked to be contacted by email and said you didn't have a picture of your positive test, you weren't supposed to get the request for a video. I'm waiting to hear back from them now, I'll keep everyone updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Phlag posted:

My test2treat doctor said that state law (Maryland) requires a telephone call to begin any sort of treatment. The phone tag was a bit obnoxious, but it was extremely quick and painless once we actually connected. Other states might have similar requirements that would require more than just filling out a form or sending an email to get the prescription.

Some of it definitely falls in the random bucket though. I know that another goon and I live in the same state and he got flagged for a video call while mine was auto approved.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I had a pre-surgery visit to the hospital and I had to not laugh when the unmasked receptionist was asking if I had any symptoms. The actual staff were all wearing surgicals. Without my asking, one of them told me they were wearing them because it's flu season. :shepface:

Better than nothing, I guess.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Gonna have to switch PCPs, he kept talking about how my wearing a respirator was negatively impacting my qol and how exposure therapy would help.

"Uh, I don't want to expose myself to covid"

"Oh, of course, but you are hiding behind a mask"

Normal country, normal people, feeling very normal.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hiding from what motherfucker! the germs?? your airborne death miasma??

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

SardonicTyrant posted:

Gonna have to switch PCPs, he kept talking about how my wearing a respirator was negatively impacting my qol and how exposure therapy would help.

I think your doctor just invited you to applebees

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FuturePerfect VideoGames posted:

quote:

The study -- published recently in Cell -- suggested that serotonin is reduced because of remnants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus remnants that linger in the gut following infection.

"If this is caused by residual viral particles, what would be the role of an antiviral medication like Paxlovid?" Carnavali asked.

“If brush fires are fuelled by dead brush, what would be the role of an herbicide?”

SardonicTyrant posted:

In a past life, this guy was a general in the Great War.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Nov 1, 2023

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Huh, that's really interesting. I figured there was some sort of state specific thing going on but I know that here in WA some people have gotten it and others weren't able to. I contacted them this morning, and while they didn't explicitly state this, they implied that if you asked to be contacted by email and said you didn't have a picture of your positive test, you weren't supposed to get the request for a video. I'm waiting to hear back from them now, I'll keep everyone updated.

Just got the message that they are sending my prescription in to be mailed. I'm in WA, FYI.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Pax arrived earlier this afternoon! Wish I'd started my collection much sooner, but hopefully I can get a couple more rounds in before it all goes to the dumpster.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

FuturePerfect VideoGames posted:

Fair enough, I need to read it more closely. I figured you would have posted it but search + hazy recollection of a few hundred posts I skimmed through on mobile to catch up failed me.
(..)

I am sorry if it seemed like I meant you shouldn't have posted it because it was already posted; I just wanted to restate the critique as I figured you hadn't seen it :)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
No poo poo.
"Historical narratives about the COVID-19 pandemic are motivationally biased"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06674-5 posted:

Abstract
How people recall the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic is likely to prove crucial in future societal debates on pandemic preparedness and appropriate political action. Beyond simple forgetting, previous research suggests that recall may be distorted by strong motivations and anchoring perceptions on the current situation1,2,3,4,5,6. Here, using 4 studies across 11 countries (total n = 10,776), we show that recall of perceived risk, trust in institutions and protective behaviours depended strongly on current evaluations. Although both vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals were affected by this bias, people who identified strongly with their vaccination status—whether vaccinated or unvaccinated—tended to exhibit greater and, notably, opposite distortions of recall. Biased recall was not reduced by providing information about common recall errors or small monetary incentives for accurate recall, but was partially reduced by high incentives. Thus, it seems that motivation and identity influence the direction in which the recall of the past is distorted. Biased recall was further related to the evaluation of past political action and future behavioural intent, including adhering to regulations during a future pandemic or punishing politicians and scientists. Together, the findings indicate that historical narratives about the COVID-19 pandemic are motivationally biased, sustain societal polarization and affect preparation for future pandemics. Consequently, future measures must look beyond immediate public-health implications to the longer-term consequences for societal cohesion and trust.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

Me, going about my life, wearing shoes: [nothing]
Pro-hookworm PCPs: "Exposure therapy will help you overcome this mental illness"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

emed paxlovid acquired, no problem in nys

i called it in initially to a mom and pop pharmacy nearby. they called me in this morning to say they didn't have it, but "it works really well, i got it for my wife, very recommended."

online chat with emed got that sorted out in less than five minutes, called it into cvs.

e: lol my box expired in september of this year, how long has this just been sitting around somewhere. this poo poo is crazy

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

havelock posted:

Just got the message that they are sending my prescription in to be mailed. I'm in WA, FYI.

Hell yeah, nice! Still waiting here, I might have to contact them again.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

e: lol my box expired in september of this year, how long has this just been sitting around somewhere. this poo poo is crazy

lmao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

WE HAVE THE TOOLS

well some of us do

Baddog
May 12, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Hey buddy, its free, waddya want from us!

Griz
May 21, 2001

liquor store down the street now has "IF YOU ARE WEARING A MASK WE WILL ASK YOU TO REMOVE IT" sign on the door but i went in anyway and they didn't say poo poo

i don't think the current set of clerks have ever seen me without a mask

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

No poo poo.
"Historical narratives about the COVID-19 pandemic are motivationally biased"

quote:

Biased recall was not reduced by providing information about common recall errors or small monetary incentives for accurate recall, but was partially reduced by high incentives.

This seems like “I know what the researchers want to hear, and I say it if they pay me enough.”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia media starting to lean into it:

E: it looks like Santa is only wearing his mask over his nose? I guess he didn't want to get his fake beard all mussed up

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

This seems like “I know what the researchers want to hear, and I say it if they pay me enough.”

I am kinda surprised it had to be qualified with "partially", though perhaps the issue was the definition of "high" incentives (I don't have access to the full article).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Went to Kaiser for an appointment today and they are requiring masks through til next March apparently. Pleasantly surprised to hear that, I thought Covid was over!
:thunk:

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Why Am I So Tired posted:

A timeless, relevant video

https://twitter.com/chrisburke/status/1240014593830903809?lang=en

It's kind of cute how people were so outraged about this. The official policy of the most progressive president since FDR is that it's your fault if you die lol.

I had to check the date, this is 100 percent what Blue MAGA says present day lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
what you need to know about the new variant, which is airborne HV.1

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Steve there’s some really disturbing quotes in there. maybe misinformation!

quote:

* But people are still getting “really sick,” so COVID-19 shouldn’t be considered mild.

quote:

I wouldn’t call it severe but I wouldn’t call it mild. Mild seems to instill in people’s minds, ‘Oh, it’s nothing at all. I don’t have to worry about it. it’s not going to cause any serious effects.’ People are still dying from this, I wouldn’t call that mild. People are still getting long COVID from EG.5 or HV.1. I wouldn’t call that mild. People are still ending up in the hospital with this. I wouldn’t call that mild.

COVID-19 could kill them ... (or) they could get it, have a runny nose, and be fine. There’s a huge dynamic range there of symptoms and severity.

* The timing of the new variant is worrisome.

the science has settled on mildness so

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I don't know how many of y'all are still running corsi cubes, but I bought a device which has proven to be a nice little quality of life improvement: a simple shutoff timer. It's pretty simple: you set it, then forget about it until tomorrow.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I don't know how many of y'all are still running corsi cubes, but I bought a device which has proven to be a nice little quality of life improvement: a simple shutoff timer. It's pretty simple: you set it, then forget about it until tomorrow.

the box fans they use can also be dimmed with a rheostat, smart or not.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Griz posted:

liquor store down the street now has "IF YOU ARE WEARING A MASK WE WILL ASK YOU TO REMOVE IT" sign on the door but i went in anyway and they didn't say poo poo

i don't think the current set of clerks have ever seen me without a mask

building up a rapport with the local liquor store clerks so they look the other way on the eventual mask bans

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

dxt posted:

building up a rapport with the local liquor store clerks so they look the other way on the eventual mask bans

I don't drink but if I did uber delivers booze now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dxt posted:

I'm guessing it'll be one of those rules that will be selectively applied to "those people" (based on the shop clerk's mood/racisms on the day)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
My rebound COVID is absolutely not milder than the initial bout. This poo poo sucks rear end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/post_hog/status/1259563504014700556

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Also lmao as a liquor store haver the whole masked bandit thing is such a goddamn pathetic relic of crime propaganda lmao

In the unfathomably unlikely event of some sort of burglary or whatever a) I'm outta here and b) who loving cares, that's what insurance is for, I hope whoever robs a liquor store isn't caught and uses that money to feed their family. Or uses that money to buy other drugs. Go goddamn nuts.

Again, that's what insurance is for.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Weekly update on recent emergency room (ER) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients, deaths, and confirmed positives highlighting changes due to backfill. These are cobbled together from reports published by Washington's Healthcare, Emergency, and Logistics Tracking Hub (WA HEALTH), Washington Disease Reporting System (WDRS), Washington Health and Life Event System (WHALES) which can all be downloaded from the dashboard linked above. Additional information was gathered from CDC's Weekly Trends and HHS' Hospital Capacity by State and Hospital Capacity by Facility reports. All of these reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday week definition.

Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previous reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report. Ex: Last week reported 250 hospitalizations for the week of Oct-15, this week reported only 225 hospitalizations for the week of Oct-15, there will be an outline on the column for Oct-15 extending from 250 to 225 to show the count recently lowered by 25.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility. Positive home tests reported to the state were retroactively removed from the official counts earlier this year. Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Oct 22            -        -        -        -    + 1,772       1,772
Oct 15            -        -        -    2,089      + 132       2,221
Oct 08            -        -    2,483      242       + 27       2,752
Oct 01            -    2,918      376       42       + 18       3,354
Sep 24        3,712      152       45       39        + 8       3,956
Rest of '23     318       66      262       39        + 5     111,266

Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities calculated by applying the state's % of Emergency Visits due to COVID-19 to the HHS' reporting of ED visits due to all causes. The HHS report with ED visits updates the Friday after the state's report, so the most recent week shown is an estimate based on the averaged totals of the past three weeks of ED visits combined with the state actual Emergency Visits ratio. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Oct 22            -        -        -        -      + 725         725
Oct 15            -        -        -      828       + 47         875
Oct 08            -        -    1,027       62       + 52       1,141
Oct 01            -    1,190      103        8          -       1,301
Sep 24        2,358   -1,004        -       35          -       1,389
Rest of '23  29,248  -23,658        -        -          -      35,855

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. The HHS report with new admissions updates the Friday after the state's report, so the most recent week shown is an estimate based on the averaged totals of the past three weeks of new admissions combined with the state actual hospitalization ratio. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Oct 22            -        -        -        -      + 231         231
Oct 15            -        -        -      361       - 70         291
Oct 08            -        -      372        1       - 10         363
Oct 01            -      362       -3        -          -         359
Sep 24          341        9        -        -          -         350
Rest of '23      75       42        -        -       - 15      10,327

Total occupied inpatient beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Oct 22            -        -        -        -    + 1,778       1,778
Oct 15            -        -        -    2,100          -       2,100
Oct 08            -        -    2,394        7          -       2,401
Oct 01            -    2,380        7        -          -       2,387
Sep 24        2,429       21        7        -          -       2,457
Rest of '23       -     -420      511        -          -      78,043

Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent week of data is pulled from CDC's Weekly Trends which appears two weeks before the state's report and should be considered incomplete. It may look like the state is behind on reporting deaths, however they only report when they consider the data is complete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Oct 22            -        -        -        -          -           -
Oct 15            -        -        -        -       + 25          25
Oct 08            -        -        -        7       + 23          30
Oct 01            -        -        8       27          -          35
Sep 24            -       31        3        -          -          34
Rest of '23      55        3        3        1        + 1       1,140

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm guessing it'll be one of those rules that will be selectively applied to "those people" (based on the shop clerk's mood/racisms on the day)

Just COVID things: structuring transactions at the store so I can flip the clerk the bird and walk away if they give me any guff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yea but you should never let your insurance provider know you feel this way :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I remember when everywhere had mandates and I wasn’t allowed to go on dates with women

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
!!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Trying to score some test2treat pax, will report my results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

maxwellhill posted:

post already deleted

He reposted it here, presumably after fixing some issue.