Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Didn't it get delisted over licensed music at some point?

e: Alan Wake's American Nightmare, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Max Payne adaptive difficulty was hilarious because if you didn't let the whole drawn-out death animation play in full and just hit quickload, it didn't count and the difficulty just kept going up lol

Oh wow, that explains a lot. I feel... lighter now.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SkeletonHero posted:

Didn't it get delisted over licensed music at some point?

e: Alan Wake's American Nightmare, that is.

I thought I remembered that but couldn't find anything.

Edit: Ah, it was the original Alan Wake, then MS renegotiated the music stuff and that allowed it to be back on the storefronts.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 1, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For what it's worth I've played Alan Wake 1 like five times in one form another across the years and I played American Nightmare precisely once. It's just not a good game.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CuddleCryptid posted:

For what it's worth I've played Alan Wake 1 like five times in one form another across the years and I played American Nightmare precisely once. It's just not a good game.

Yeah, this. AWAN doesn't have a single setpiece I can recall anything about whereas AW1 is full of them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

They did improve the combat but it's not improved enough to make it worth the extra combat focus. That and it only has three levels you revisit three times each.

It did give us the best Poets of the Fall song though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNrG3w_a448

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They did improve the combat but it's not improved enough to make it worth the extra combat focus. That and it only has three levels you revisit three times each.

It did give us the best Poets of the Fall song though.

Yeah the combat in AW is not deep so all it really did was add in some new guns which so what. It was pretty transparently a DLC stretched out to short game length. I liked the DLC levels from AW1 more than AN.

Balance Slays the Demon just wasn't for me, it's easily lowest on my list of POTF songs. Compared to the songs in AW1 it just felt like a flat rock song. But to each their own, maybe it's just tied to a game I found disappointing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I find it strange how King hates his breakout book, Carrie, for being not polished to his standards. When at 60K words it's his tightest book. Ain't nobody giving a poo poo about Bag of Bones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I find it strange how King hates his breakout book, Carrie, for being not polished to his standards. When at 60K words it's his tightest book. Ain't nobody giving a poo poo about Bag of Bones.

Pretty much every writer on the planet inwardly cringes at their earlier work no matter how popular it is. I think you'd probably get looked at weirdly if you were like "Aw yeah my first book is awesome, haha."

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
replaying fatal frame 1 with the undub patch and boy is it scary!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

King's mused on more than one occasion how people always tell him that The Stand is his best book*, and how it occurs to him that telling him in the 2000s/2010s/2020s that the best work he's done over his entire career was something that was published in 1978 is both a sort of backhanded compliment, and a not-so-subtle critique of his later works.

(*It's not his best work, though. That's 'salem's Lot. :drac:)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't know which is the worse trope. The Magical Negro or the Psychic Simpleton.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sigh, another year as the lone Dolores Claiborne Fancon attendee

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't know which is the worse trope. The Magical Negro or the Psychic Simpleton.

Worst part of The Stand is that insanely racist bit just thrown randomly into the descriptions of how the world is falling apart.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Worst part of The Stand is that insanely racist bit just thrown randomly into the descriptions of how the world is falling apart.

Similarly, the part where a character gets :nws: forcibly penetrated with a gun did NOT need to be in there! :yikes:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much every writer on the planet inwardly cringes at their earlier work no matter how popular it is. I think you'd probably get looked at weirdly if you were like "Aw yeah my first book is awesome, haha."

Kind of depends on how much you write. Gene Wolfe disowned his first novel, but then you get Harper Lee never publishing again until an old woman because she didn't think she could live up to To Kill a Mockingbird.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

King's mused on more than one occasion how people always tell him that The Stand is his best book*, and how it occurs to him that telling him in the 2000s/2010s/2020s that the best work he's done over his entire career was something that was published in 1978 is both a sort of backhanded compliment, and a not-so-subtle critique of his later works.
(*It's not his best work, though. That's 'salem's Lot. :drac:)
He should be honored by backhanded compliments given how poo poo his writing is

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

King is a good writer when he is writing about things that he personally knows (getting hit by cars and alcoholism) and the rest is all over the place.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

King is a good writer when he is writing about things that he personally knows (getting hit by cars and alcoholism) and the rest is all over the place.

I think he's actually pretty good at portraying characters that are grieving the loss of a partner/spouse. Bag of Bones and Lisey's Story weren't GOOD by any means, but they definitely got me teary-eyed at certain points when the main characters are mourning their dead spouses.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I admire Kings ability to get the most absolute nonsense published, and nothing else.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

I think he's actually pretty good at portraying characters that are grieving the loss of a partner/spouse. Bag of Bones and Lisey's Story weren't GOOD by any means, but they definitely got me teary-eyed at certain points when the main characters are mourning their dead spouses.

Regret is a pretty strong theme in his books in general. Needful Things, The Shining, Pet Semetary, they're all good books that focus heavily around regret and loss. His good books have a strong theme and wrap up in one book without getting deep into "lore". When he starts getting into the weeds of long stories or (God help us) series things go to hell.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

https://x.com/succinct_punchy/status/1719536427355009078?s=46

Good news everyone

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who has poked at Stray Souls? It's supposed to be Gollum-bad outside of having a guest composer for Silent Hill. It also came out two days before the good Resident Evil clone.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kotaku launch interview with the SH stream lead

kotaku article posted:

moderators who were there were finding that their moderations were taking 10 minutes to go through

A free for all chatroom where it takes 10 minutes to ban anyone, what could go wrong

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Silent Swill

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
So what I'm hearing about Alan Wake 2 is that it's the Bloober Team level of follow up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Don't just throw slurs around omg

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kokoro Wish posted:

So what I'm hearing about Alan Wake 2 is that it's the Bloober Team level of follow up.

What does this even mean?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

you mean the effusive and near universal praise?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Kokoro Wish posted:

If by this you mean nearly the exact opposite, then yes :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

What?

Most people have praised the game online. It's literally only certain Goons here who've said anything bad about it and 90% of the time it's because they were actually terrible at the game and didn't bother paying attention to the tooltips and the last 10% is from people who genuinely didn't vibe with Remedy games anyway. It's nothing like a Bloober Team game, which gets okay reviews but is routinely mocked.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Omg maybe they actually like bloober team

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Alan "I DIDN'T GET NO SLEEP CAUSE OF YALL, YALL NOT GONNA GET NO SLEEP CAUSE OF ME" Wake

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Alan "I DIDN'T GET NO SLEEP CAUSE OF YALL, YALL NOT GONNA GET NO SLEEP CAUSE OF ME" Wake

I appreciate this reference deeply.

Me, finding yet another clue:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What?

Most people have praised the game online. It's literally only certain Goons here who've said anything bad about it and 90% of the time it's because they were actually terrible at the game and didn't bother paying attention to the tooltips and the last 10% is from people who genuinely didn't vibe with Remedy games anyway. It's nothing like a Bloober Team game, which gets okay reviews but is routinely mocked.

That 10% is always loud as poo poo, though. Like Remedy games are weird and kinda janky and not for everyone but anytime they come up you get the I COULDN’T HIT WITH TK AND SERVICE WEAPON SUX response.

Criticisms about the story and writing I’m totally okay with because that poo poo’s subjective and yeah they’re not well written but they’re fun and trippy so I enjoy them.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Who has poked at Stray Souls? It's supposed to be Gollum-bad outside of having a guest composer for Silent Hill. It also came out two days before the good Resident Evil clone.
Dude who made it apparently sucks, which I was disappointed to hear at first but learning that the game is a dumpster fire is pretty lmao.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What?

Yeah this is a really good point btw. There's tutorial menus you can pause and access any time which clarify many of the things goons were having trouble with

It's a great game that I haven't found especially challenging so far on Normal but still tense and is much more compelling than anything Bloober has done

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Game is getting 9s and 10s from every outlet and the general consensus from regular people is that it's awesome. Who on earth are you talking to to get the idea that it's bloober level lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kokoro Wish posted:

I feel like you owe Sam Lake and the Remedy team a personal apology for this post