Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gangringo posted:

If they bioengineered a pig to be more genetically similar to a human I wonder what it tastes like

A while back I asked my friend circle of, given tech to lab-grow tissue of arbitrary individuals and species, would they be willing to try me meat. Weirdly, most of them said no.

Point is, I'm pretty sure cowards will make it so you can never get a first-hand answer to your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Well you admitted it yourself then.

Ah, so you're not actually arguing in defense of your own position or against what I'm saying but are simply disputing that I used the word 'invasion' instead of 'declare war'. I'll go back and correct my original post, and that should resolve your issue.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A while back I asked my friend circle of, given tech to lab-grow tissue of arbitrary individuals and species, would they be willing to try me meat. Weirdly, most of them said no.

Point is, I'm pretty sure cowards will make it so you can never get a first-hand answer to your question.

This is all the result of those moonbats in congress failing to pass George W. Bush's ban on human animal hybrids in 2007.

Article from 2014:

quote:

Whatever Happened to the Human-Animal Hybrid Ban?

One of the funniest moments in recent State of the Union history was back in 2006 when George W. Bush asked Congress “to pass legislation to prohibit the most egregious abuses of medical research: human cloning in all its forms; creating or implanting embryos for experiments; creating human-animal hybrids; and buying, selling or patenting human embryos.”

That’s right. No mermaids in Bush’s America. And no Pigman either. But congress failed to act on the idea. It most recently came up in 2009, when for some reason Sam Brownback introduced a bill to ban human-animal hybrids that never made it out of the Senate Judiciary Committee. After that, everyone seems to have forgotten about it entirely.

Article aged like milk.

Bush tried to warn us.

https://slate.com/business/2014/01/human-animal-hyrbid-bush-and-brownback-versus-chimeras.html

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mooseontheloose posted:

As a reminder for Trump was an isolationist ACTCHALLY people:
*He bombed Iran and only by the grace of Iranian leaders did that not go fully hot.
*Trump at the very least expanded drone warfare into Somalia and oh yah, restricted reporting on drone strikes.
*"Alleged civilian deaths in Iraq and Syria skyrocketed under Trump's four years in office to more than 13,000
*Trump had an on the ground NAVY Seals raid Yemen.
*Let's not forget the raid in Niger that got swept under the rug in 2017 that we all collectively decided was not worth investigating.

I might eat a probe for this but there are a lot of people rooting for their take, to use a sports talk radio term. You can be disgusted with Biden and his handing of Gaza but you don't need to ignore the reality of a Trump presidency because it's inconvenient for your argument.

imo Trump was and is foremost a populist, he had and STILL has no clue or experience with international politics, not even after being president for four years. He has plenty of views of his own which spring from his early adulthood, and they're not very consistent. One strong strain is his concern over nuclear war, which doesn't mean that he's looking for nuclear disarmament but rather that he hopes to make friends with Kim and Put and others so they don't nuke his orange butt. But then he also sees the need to look presidential in a Reaganesque way, at least in the way that invading Grenada made Reagan look strong. This is why during his first week in office he was asking for any kind of opportunity to use military against US enemies, and Pentagon gave him a raid to Yemen that didn't go very well. It was just a stunt, nothing more.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

haveblue posted:

Medium pork

:rimshot:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Regarding the idea of running a human immune system with an AI, it's worth noting that the biggest company trying to put computers into people's bodies is one run by Musk, and if the AI in Teslas is anything to go off, the first person to install an immune system AI written by his company would die of something like the AI mistaking the host's heart for a cat or something and attacking it.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Tempest_56 posted:

Ah, so you're not actually arguing in defense of your own position or against what I'm saying but are simply disputing that I used the word 'invasion' instead of 'declare war'. I'll go back and correct my original post, and that should resolve your issue.

The linked article that goes through the entire thought process of the mind of the egomaniac, outlined meeting to meeting down to what people were wearing when called on and it did not assert any desire to declare war with Mexico.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lab grown you is probably the healthiest possible meat for you to eat

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

burnishedfume posted:

Regarding the idea of running a human immune system with an AI, it's worth noting that the biggest company trying to put computers into people's bodies is one run by Musk, and if the AI in Teslas is anything to go off, the first person to install an immune system AI written by his company would die of something like the AI mistaking the host's heart for a cat or something and attacking it.

Or, you know, finding a way to make "remaining alive" a subscription service with embedded ads, somehow.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

Lab grown you is probably the healthiest possible meat for you to eat

Not yet with all the filler they put into it

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

If only they had given him the heart of a dog, he could have become an upstanding member of the communist party!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Or, you know, finding a way to make "remaining alive" a subscription service with embedded ads, somehow.

I think that was the plot of that Justin Timberlake thriller(?) "In Time"

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mooseontheloose posted:

As a reminder for Trump was an isolationist ACTCHALLY people:
*He bombed Iran and only by the grace of Iranian leaders did that not go fully hot.
*Trump at the very least expanded drone warfare into Somalia and oh yah, restricted reporting on drone strikes.
*"Alleged civilian deaths in Iraq and Syria skyrocketed under Trump's four years in office to more than 13,000
*Trump had an on the ground NAVY Seals raid Yemen.
*Let's not forget the raid in Niger that got swept under the rug in 2017 that we all collectively decided was not worth investigating.

I might eat a probe for this but there are a lot of people rooting for their take, to use a sports talk radio term. You can be disgusted with Biden and his handing of Gaza but you don't need to ignore the reality of a Trump presidency because it's inconvenient for your argument.

Everyone always forgets he dropped a MOAB in Afghanistan to feel like a Big Boy:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/politics/afghanistan-isis-moab-bomb/index.html

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Just came across an interesting article in the Washington Post: New York City’s new goal: Everyone lives to at least 83'

The details of the article aren't overly important but it made me question why increasing life expectancy/quality life isn't used more often as a political goal. Doesn't everybody want to live longer and have a better quality of life?

The kinds of things they want to address in NYC are things like deaths of despair (drug and alcohol abuse, suicide) but also lifestyle habits that cause chronic issues like cardiovascular disease and diabetes. In general anything that might cause someone's life to end sooner rather than later.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
A white man would die 1 year sooner if it meant a black man would die 2 years sooner. - Dying of Whiteness

koolkal fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 1, 2023

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mustang posted:

Doesn't everybody want to live longer
oh lord no

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Who in the blue gently caress is Mike Johnson? He's somebody who apparently doesn't have a bank account or any assets on his financial disclosure forms. How does he get paid, is it in literal bags of cash with dollar signs on them? I assume is all just lies and he actually has assets, but I wouldn't be surprised if his money is in some sort super scammy church based pay day loan operation.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/does-new-speaker-of-the-house-mike-johnson-have-a-bank-account

quote:

Newly elected Speaker of the House Mike Johnson (R-LA) does not have a bank account.

At least, that’s what Johnson reports on years of personal financial disclosures, which date back to 2016 and reveal a financial life that, in the context of his role as a congressman and now speaker, appears extraordinarily precarious.

Over the course of seven years, Johnson has never reported a checking or savings account in his name, nor in the name of his wife or any of his children, disclosures show. In fact, he doesn’t appear to have money stashed in any investments, with his latest filing—covering 2022—showing no assets whatsoever.

quote:

The year before joining Congress, Johnson reported over $200,000 in combined income, a total he and his wife seem to clear annually. He topped that number again last year, reporting his $174,000 federal salary along with roughly $30,000 from his Liberty University online teaching gig—a steady side hustle Johnson first reported in 2019.

His wife also reported income last year from two nonprofit groups, “Onward Christian Education Services, Inc.” and “Louisiana Right To Life Educational Committee.” Members aren’t required to disclose how much money their spouses earn, just the sources. But two of Johnson’s previous reports do provide a dollar amount, showing about $50,000 in those years from various clients. (His latest disclosures just say “N/A.”)

All in all, Johnson and his wife appear to have steadily earned more than $200,000 a year, which will see a nice bump under his $223,500 salary as speaker. However, they do face some steep costs—among them raising four children and a second place for Johnson to crash while he’s in D.C.

While Johnson might not have money in a bank, he does have a relationship with them. That is, he deals with banks on the liability side, with his disclosures revealing three debts at Citizens National Bank: a 2013 home mortgage valued between $250,000 and $500,000; a personal loan from 2016, between $15,000 and $50,000; and a home equity line of credit he took out in 2019, for an additional amount between $15,000 and $50,000.

He also appears to have a relationship with bankers. In 2019, the Louisiana Bankers Association issued a press release showing Johnson meeting with executives from a number of banks—including Citizens National, which owns all of Johnson’s liabilities, including the line of credit that he had taken out earlier that year.

Another one of those liabilities, Johnson’s 2016 personal loan, has been paid down. That loan, which was pegged between $50,000-$100,000 on his first disclosure, went down to between $15,000 and $50,000—the next reporting range—on his second disclosure. Neither that debt nor the others have changed since.

But Johnson’s retirement savings do seem to be dwindling. In his first filing, as a candidate in 2016, Johnson only lists a state government Fidelity retirement account valued between $1,000 and $15,000. That year, Johnson reported earning about $171,000 from legal work at Kitchens Law and his own practice, in addition to his $25,000 salary from the Louisiana House of Representatives.

Johnson appears to have carried that retirement account over to a federal program called a Thrift Savings Plan. He put some money into that account, topping out between $15,000 and $50,000 in 2020. (The previous year, Johnson had taken out the line of credit on his home.) In 2021, he appears to have cashed out that retirement account entirely, and it does not appear at all in his 2022 report.

This is one of the weirdest stories I've seen on Johnson along the reporting on his wife's counseling business based off of Hippocrates' 5 temperaments/humors. https://www.businessinsider.com/mik...ampaign=news-sf

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Looks like they're trying to make Tuberville drop his universal hold on military promotions (to protest abortion policy), but all they're doing is farce. Looks like there's going to be 376 votes on promotions, asking for unanimous consent, forcing Tuberville to object three hundred seventy six times.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1719864437782249669

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
aaaand the vote the kick "George Santos" out of congress failed. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ny-republicans-force-vote-push-expel-george-santos/story?id=104539525

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Did you remember to make an exaggerated wink when asking if they wanted to "try your meat"?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
57 Dems either voted no, Present, or Did not vote, 155 voted to expel.

Don't understand the no voters, present voters, or did not vote folks. I get you want to hang Santos around the Republicans heads like a millstone, but I think that it'd actually be better served to get him out and then point to the fact that he was expelled.

As it was, the vote would not have passed anyway (it would have had a majority if the 57 voted yes, but it requires 2/3'ds)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Bugsy posted:

This is one of the weirdest stories I've seen on Johnson along the reporting on his wife's counseling business based off of Hippocrates' 5 temperaments/humors. https://www.businessinsider.com/mik...ampaign=news-sf

:stonklol: holy poo poo :stonklol:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Bugsy posted:

Who in the blue gently caress is Mike Johnson? He's somebody who apparently doesn't have a bank account or any assets on his financial disclosure forms. How does he get paid, is it in literal bags of cash with dollar signs on them? I assume is all just lies and he actually has assets, but I wouldn't be surprised if his money is in some sort super scammy church based pay day loan operation.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/does-new-speaker-of-the-house-mike-johnson-have-a-bank-account

Uh, what’s the claimed explanation for lack of a bank account, like he gets his paycheck as a literal check and takes it down to get cashed or what? I realize the obvious answer is he’s lying, but is there an excuse proffered for how he functions in modern society?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Well, yeah. They'd be foolish to kick out a war hero and the first man in space.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Thaddius the Large posted:

Uh, what’s the claimed explanation for lack of a bank account, like he gets his paycheck as a literal check and takes it down to get cashed or what? I realize the obvious answer is he’s lying, but is there an excuse proffered for how he functions in modern society?

He's a lawyer, probably a slimy one. Likely he has like 11 shell corporations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He's all-in on crypto

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thaddius the Large posted:

Members of Congress only have to report their bank accounts if they are interest-bearing or maintain a balance over $5,000. So, he either lives paycheck to paycheck, keeps everything in cash in a non-interest bearing checking account with no savings account, or he's not fully disclosing his assets.

Not having a savings account isn't that weird, but he also apparently doesn't own any stock or bonds and his retirement account is worth less than $15,000.

He owes money on a $100,000 personal loan and a $500,000 mortgage.

He makes about $200k per year.

We don't know what the personal loan was for, but he is apparently very bad with money and essentially lives paycheck to paycheck paying down his mortgage, personal loan, and living expenses.

It seems likely that he isn't reporting his checking accounts, but it is still very odd for a member of Congress to be making ~$200k with a wife making around $100k and have no stock, no bonds, and minimal retirement savings. Even if he has a lot more assets that are all in cash in a checking account he isn't reporting, it is still weird for a member of Congress who is in the top 10% of earners in the country to essentially keep all of his money in a mattress.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...since we are living in the dumbest possible timeline, what are the odds that their house is also stocked with gold bars?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Members of Congress only have to report their bank accounts if they are interest-bearing or maintain a balance over $5,000. So, he either lives paycheck to paycheck, keeps everything in cash in a non-interest bearing checking account with no savings account, or he's not fully disclosing his assets.

Not having a savings account isn't that weird, but he also apparently doesn't own any stock or bonds and his retirement account is worth less than $15,000.

He owes money on a $100,000 personal loan and a $500,000 mortgage.

He makes about $200k per year.

We don't know what the personal loan was for, but he is apparently very bad with money and essentially lives paycheck to paycheck paying down his mortgage, personal loan, and living expenses.

It seems likely that he isn't reporting his checking accounts, but it is still very odd for a member of Congress to be making ~$200k with a wife making around $100k and have no stock, no bonds, and minimal retirement savings. Even if he has a lot more assets that are all in cash in a checking account he isn't reporting, it is still weird for a member of Congress who is in the top 10% of earners in the country to essentially keep all of his money in a mattress.

Do Congress members get 401(k) besides the pension?
... Though surely his wife's job ought to have one, at least?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

OddObserver posted:

Do Congress members get 401(k) besides the pension?
... Though surely his wife's job ought to have one, at least?

All federal employees, including members of congress, get access to the Thrift Savings Plan. It is basically a public version of a 401(k).

Everyone in America also has access to an IRA, which Johnson apparently does not have or has less than $15,000 combined in his IRA, Thrift Savings Plan, or old 401(k)s from previous jobs.

According to his disclosure forms, he has less than $15k in retirement accounts and no stock or bonds. So, he is living paycheck to paycheck, keeping everything in cash, and has no other assets according to his financial disclosures.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
His mattresses are just stuffed with money, that's all.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Foxfire_ posted:

Did you remember to make an exaggerated wink when asking if they wanted to "try your meat"?

No. There was no innuendo. I was sincerely asking if they would eat my cloned flesh, and was genuinely surprised they said no.

All federal employees, including members of congress, get access to the Thrift Savings Plan. It is basically a public version of a 401(k).

Everyone in America also has access to an IRA, which Johnson apparently does not have or has less than $15,000 combined in his IRA, Thrift Savings Plan, or old 401(k)s from previous jobs.

According to his disclosure forms, he has less than $15k in retirement accounts and no stock or bonds. So, he is living paycheck to paycheck, keeping everything in cash, and has no other assets according to his financial disclosures.

This is super loving weird. :psyduck:

I don't believe for a second he just doesn't have any assets. You don't get to national level office living like a guru on a mountain top.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is super loving weird. :psyduck:

I don't believe for a second he just doesn't have any assets. You don't get to national level office living like a guru on a mountain top.

It doesn't necessarily mean he is living like a guru. It could also mean that he is bad with money and/or almost all of his income is spent on living expenses, his loans, and his mortgages.

I think the most likely answer is that he just wasn't reporting his checking accounts (and possibly retirement accounts) and he was a backbencher nobody until 3 weeks ago, so nobody really cared that he wasn't reporting a checking account because there's no way to easily verify what his checking account or retirement accounts look like in the same way there is for stock trades or mortgages.

But, he could also be deeply in debt, bad with money/spendthrift, or a weirdo who keeps all of money in cash.

Even if he wasn't reporting his checking accounts, it is still very odd for someone with his level of income to not have any other assets outside of cash and his houses.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It doesn't necessarily mean he is living like a guru. It could also mean that he is bad with money and/or almost all of his income is spent on living expenses, his loans, and his mortgages.

I think the most likely answer is that he just wasn't reporting his checking accounts (and possibly retirement accounts) and he was a backbencher nobody until 3 weeks ago, so nobody really cared that he wasn't reporting a checking account because there's no way to easily verify what his checking account or retirement accounts look like in the same way there is for stock trades or mortgages.

But, he could also be deeply in debt, bad with money/spendthrift, or a weirdo who keeps all of money in cash.

Even if he wasn't reporting his checking accounts, it is still very odd for someone with his level of income to not have any other assets outside of cash and his houses.

Oh lol I missed the houses, plural, and couldn't figure out how he could have no investments and no assets.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
going by the author of a new Mitt Romney book, some ultra rich politicians can live weirdly fugal life styles.

like gimmick of using wagu beef as a burger, Romney got gifted good fish and just made fish burgers out of them.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

PhazonLink posted:

going by the author of a new Mitt Romney book, some ultra rich politicians can live weirdly fugal life styles.

like gimmick of using wagu beef as a burger, Romney got gifted good fish and just made fish burgers out of them.

The saddest (for him, funniest for the rest of us) part was he doesn't even like fish, and so he smothered the salmon burgers in ketchup to make them eatable to him.
https://www.businessinsider.com/lisa-murkowski-mitt-romney-salmon-ketchup-romney-reckoning-2023-9?IR=T

quote:

In the book, journalist McKay Coppins recounts how Romney eats dinner alone most nights in his Washington home. Murkowski gifted Romney a bunch of salmon fillets, but since the Utah Republican is not a fan of the fish he found an unusual way to consume them.

"He didn't especially like salmon but found that if he put it on a hamburger bun and smothered it in ketchup, it made for a serviceable meal," Coppins wrote in "Romney: A Reckoning."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

burnishedfume posted:

The saddest (for him, funniest for the rest of us) part was he doesn't even like fish, and so he smothered the salmon burgers in ketchup to make them eatable to him.
https://www.businessinsider.com/lisa-murkowski-mitt-romney-salmon-ketchup-romney-reckoning-2023-9?IR=T

loving pearls before swine. Salmon burgers are fine, but putting ketchup is gross as hell. Use tartar sauce or dill mustard or something, Jesus.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

Don't understand the no voters, present voters, or did not vote folks. I get you want to hang Santos around the Republicans heads like a millstone, but I think that it'd actually be better served to get him out and then point to the fact that he was expelled.
There's some cynical local politics reasons for New York. A bunch of current districts changed in 2022 have slim partisan leans, and depending on current lawsuits might get redrawn again for 2024.

A bunch of 1 term incumbent GOP representatives will probably be running in divided districts and "We kicked out that corrupt guy next door, even though he was the same party, look how fair and non-partisan I am" is a good reelection story for that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Foxfire_ posted:

There's some cynical local politics reasons for New York. A bunch of current districts changed in 2022 have slim partisan leans, and depending on current lawsuits might get redrawn again for 2024.

A bunch of 1 term incumbent GOP representatives will probably be running in divided districts and "We kicked out that corrupt guy next door, even though he was the same party, look how fair and non-partisan I am" is a good reelection story for that.

In as much as my local anecdotal perspective is worth anything : lol lmao good luck with that. There are a lot of people pissed at them, especially Molinaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Young Freud posted:

loving pearls before swine. Salmon burgers are fine, but putting ketchup is gross as hell. Use tartar sauce or dill mustard or something, Jesus.

Danes happily put ketchup on pasta. I link pictures to Italian friends, their horror is wonderful.