Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Luann strip is incredibly prudish, perhaps more than any other strip on the comics page. And, like many prudes, also incredibly horny and poorly equipped to handle these normal feelings in a normal way.

See: Bernice and Nil writing up an honest-to-god sex contract, including punishments if either of them get naughty and break the rules. Of course it's totally fine to have a kink, but Bernice would claim she can't have a kink because she is a sweet virgin angel who is able to control her urges and the sex contract is a completely rational non-kinky way to exercise that control over herself and her partner.

Today's Luann isn't horny. It's just dumb.

I know I always walk around holding hands with people I'm not dating.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

And now, blessedly, the Halloween marathon has ceased and we can go back to the normal three times a week schedule.

Hope so, anyway.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I cannot wait for the plot in Luann to just go off like two trucks full of ham colliding into a small press expo.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stultus Maximus posted:

It’s just a step to the left…

Oh wait that’s not right.

I see you shiver with antici...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

[
The Phantom

"At least you don't have a skull throne and an entire room solely dedicated for storing a dead pirate's skull."

Also, according to official Phantom lore, the Skull Cave was carved by nature and the 1st Phantom only did some light carving to make it even more skull like.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

stablishmentarianism

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

...pation!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

I wanted to mention here the comparison someone made with Daddy Daze – the way Uchida does baby babble is so much better than just “BA BA BA BA”. I don’t usually put it in because the text is super cramped and it doesn’t, you know, mean anything, but here in panel 1 the kid is saying “achu dubibbi buduu chuupuu chuupuu,” and in the second panel “hapu hapu,” which IME is a pretty dang accurate representation of baby sounds. If Daddy Daze’s super baby babbled like that I’d probably like the comic about 49% better – I still wouldn’t like it, but I might actually try to read it.

The essays in the book may be a bit rough – my main experience translating long-form prose is with things like brochures and technical manuals, so “introspective essays about the author’s opinions about the patriarchy” is a bit outside my wheelhouse.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 17, 1960)

Sorry for the delay, I usually post first thing in the morning but today I just plumb forgot :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

I wanted to mention here the comparison someone made with Daddy Daze – the way Uchida does baby babble is so much better than just “BA BA BA BA”. I don’t usually put it in because the text is super cramped and it doesn’t, you know, mean anything, but here in panel 1 the kid is saying “achu dubibbi buduu chuupuu chuupuu,” and in the second panel “hapu hapu,” which IME is a pretty dang accurate representation of baby sounds. If Daddy Daze’s super baby babbled like that I’d probably like the comic about 49% better – I still wouldn’t like it, but I might actually try to read it.

it also helps that WARbaby's baby talk is...you know, baby talk, and not somehow a coherent conversation

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My second kid was not quite 3 months old for his first halloween. His big brother wanted to be Spider-man so we dressed him up as the Hulk which included drawing on eyebrows. It was hilarious.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (January 1-4, 2004)

Happy New Year! Or, uh, I guess... Happy November? New chapter starts tomorrow, starring everyone's favourite secret agent Fallon Young. Also a slight art style change to be a bit more cartoony in the characters' proportions that iirc gets reverted after a few weeks of strips.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

it was a graveyard smash

Don't call it a graveyard. Rude.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Why do I get the feeling that Kitty is about to go mysteriously missing.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

...SPACE!!!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Time until Kit randomly blurts out Jampa's name?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/20-22/51

Archie 8/9-11/48

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hwurmp posted:

it also helps that WARbaby's baby talk is...you know, baby talk, and not somehow a coherent conversation

I just assumed Daddy Daze was supposed to be the dad going stir crazy and making up the conversations with the baby. Is it actually supposed to be a Garfield thing, except the artist can't even be bothered with the "thought bubbles for non-speaking characters" Garfield trick?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Antivehicular posted:

I just assumed Daddy Daze was supposed to be the dad going stir crazy and making up the conversations with the baby. Is it actually supposed to be a Garfield thing, except the artist can't even be bothered with the "thought bubbles for non-speaking characters" Garfield trick?

It's weird and inconsistent. Daddy Daze baby has diagetically baked cookies, for gently caress's sake.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43QP611zvm0

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Thank God This Disability Is Gonna Be Temporary And I'll Learn From It Or Something" feat. "Shut The gently caress Up About This Hate Speech Jackoff"

God drat It

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

It's weird and inconsistent. Daddy Daze baby has diagetically baked cookies, for gently caress's sake.

It reminds me a bit of the lack of hard canon as to whether Stewie Griffin is actually hyper-intelligent and speaks fluent English or if the only one who can understand him is the canonical talking dog, because talking dog powers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

It reminds me a bit of the lack of hard canon as to whether Stewie Griffin is actually hyper-intelligent and speaks fluent English or if the only one who can understand him is the canonical talking dog, because talking dog powers.

i forget what episode it was, but at one point Chris or one of the adults smacks Stewie for something horrible he says, and the baby is shocked. "I thought you couldn't understand me!"

Daddy Daze also has the baby acting like a Looney Tunes cartoon. Baby has no personality compared to the WAR baby flailing around and actually acting like a baby.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (October 13-15, 1924)

"You're wheel". Oy. Just when you assume that syndicates with editorial staffs were better at catching that stuff...

Toonerville Folks (December 26-28, 1921)

Because a good time deserves a closer look...

Dok's "Looks Like That'll Be A 'No'" Duck (December 24, 1914)

Little Lefty, in which Jitterbug finds her way home. (May 18-20, 1939)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

maybeadracula posted:

Oh I'm going to learn about some new product...

Old time candy dot com LOL whelp

Thanks, though. I had no idea

It's all good, I was a kid in the 70s and recognized them immediately. They have a very muted flavor but aren't flat-out terrible.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Legend of Bill gets spoiler'd for cartoony blood and gore

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I like how nobody appears to do anything to stop it.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
b]Heathcliff[/b]

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (November 29, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

The second spot was considered to be the worst spot to play on a vaudeville bill, because the audience (especially latecomers) were still settling into their seats and not as attentive or responsive as they would be for the acts to come. The third spot was usually a comedy or one-act play featuring up-and-coming stars, so you also had to suffer through that second act to get to some of the people you wanted to see. As with everybody else in this boarding house who strive to keep up appearances through tall tales and spin, Dugan & Dixon are trying their darndest to pretend their crummy situation is the absolute best.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The Demons of Baseball

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

It gets to you, doesn't it.

Anyway, here's a different kind of sad from **Crankshaft**.

From the land of fictional women who make way too many allowances for the whims of the men in their lives while their own secret selves are invisible. And the thing is, thanks to Les Moore and Cayla this isn't even in contention for the most pitiful proposal in the Funkyverse.

God, this is just vile. Pete springs this sudden career change of resurrecting a failed business on his girlfriend, acts like this pizza golem pervert is going to be a great business partner, gets all huffy and defensive the second he invites his girlfriend to give her opinion of his plan, and then treats the actual marriage proposal like an afterthought. Mindy, have some self-respect and just :sever:

While Batiuk's most misogynistic story remains that one with the old comic grandma getting an award in comic-con and then slowly phasing out of existence the second a couple of old men start their drama, Mindy being worn down to accept Pete's pathetic proposal has to be up there.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This guy spent twenty years being fine on his own, and going by how he didn't care for Mary welcoming him, he doesn't even care for having anyone else as an acquaintance. The only reason this creep is suddenly playing up how much he missed his ex-girlfriend is because she didn't tell him about Kitty. He's acting like a spoiled brat who got denied his favorite toy.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

FOOB Mom spends all her time shouting, belittling and even blaming the kids if they come to her for anything. And she acts shocked that her son chooses to communicate more with others while he barely talks to her? LOL Get hosed.

This strip is also a lot funnier/sadder in context when you know the story of why Lynn's son no longer speaks to her.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

I forgot to comment on the previous strip, but it's insane to me that these two are even raising concerns over Fastrack wanting to implement a nonfraternization policy. Don't companies have that by default to prevent relationship drama from messing up the working environment? And these two talk like the policy is going to ask people to break up with each other or something.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

amigolupus posted:

I forgot to comment on the previous strip, but it's insane to me that these two are even raising concerns over Fastrack wanting to implement a nonfraternization policy. Don't companies have that by default to prevent relationship drama from messing up the working environment? And these two talk like the policy is going to ask people to break up with each other or something.

Companies SHOULD have a policy like this, but wasn't Fastrack a smaller family-owned business to start with?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mercury Hat posted:

Companies SHOULD have a policy like this, but wasn't Fastrack a smaller family-owned business to start with?

It's impossible to know how big FastRack is because, like Dethany's "piercing ornaments", the other employees are completely invisible.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Never forget that Baituk had a fake actress win Best Actress Academy Award only for her to give the award to The Most Important Being In The Universe, Les Moore, blessed be his name.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003