Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

computer angel posted:

Does anyone get legitimately scared by horror movies anymore? I try to set the correct atmosphere, dark room, no distractions, alone, yet I still feel I'm chasing the dragon. When I was a teenager I watched Event Horizon and it haunted me for weeks, same with Silent Hill, couldn't shower with my eyes closed type thing. Those were good times.

I don't enter horror movies expecting to be scared, but if something gets under my skin that's always a bonus. Going reverse chronologically, Nope, Saint Maud, and Midsommar have had moments like that. I think a lot of longtime horror fans tend to get shaken by things that tie into their own idiosyncratic issues (for example, I'll watch the bloodiest bloodbath out there while giggling, but get ready to catch me from fainting and dropping to the floor as soon as you swap the machete out for a syringe).

(I do 100% agree on setting the atmosphere for ANY movie, not just horror. Call it a puritanical streak, but I do roll my eyes when people talking about watching a movie while folding their laundry or browsing their phone or whatever. It's such a sadness.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

computer angel posted:

Does anyone get legitimately scared by horror movies anymore? I try to set the correct atmosphere, dark room, no distractions, alone, yet I still feel I'm chasing the dragon. When I was a teenager I watched Event Horizon and it haunted me for weeks, same with Silent Hill, couldn't shower with my eyes closed type thing. Those were good times.
I'm mostly desensitized at this point, but I remember when I watched The Lodge a few years ago, that freaked me out.

There's maybe one movie every few years that'll do that to me. I must've watched a few dozen horror movies in October and a few of them were genuinely unsettling, like The Exorcist and Jacob's Ladder, but I've seen those before, so the effects those movies had on me happened ages ago when I first saw them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't think I've actually been scared by a movie since I was a child. But a really good movie pulls me in and makes me feel the movie's vibe really strongly. So a really good movie with an eerie or unsettling vibe will leave me unsettled the rest of the night. Alternative 3 and Lake Mungo leap to mind as movies which left me feeling like I had been through something creepy. Vast of Night too, but it was mixed with the thrill of discovery vibe that movie also has, so it was a kind of exhilarating unsettled feeling, if that makes any sense at all.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

computer angel posted:

The Wolf House definitely creeped the gently caress out of me

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

People talk about Art the Clown from Terrifier, but the only clowns that terrify me are the ones in Congress!

Literally me, but also with a side of

But good news, nobody egged my house this Halloween with my Pride flag up so that's cool

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crescent Wrench posted:

I don't enter horror movies expecting to be scared, but if something gets under my skin that's always a bonus. Going reverse chronologically, Nope, Saint Maud, and Midsommar have had moments like that. I think a lot of longtime horror fans tend to get shaken by things that tie into their own idiosyncratic issues (for example, I'll watch the bloodiest bloodbath out there while giggling, but get ready to catch me from fainting and dropping to the floor as soon as you swap the machete out for a syringe).

(I do 100% agree on setting the atmosphere for ANY movie, not just horror. Call it a puritanical streak, but I do roll my eyes when people talking about watching a movie while folding their laundry or browsing their phone or whatever. It's such a sadness.)

Yeah, I will occasionally do another thing while watching a movie, but it's a show of absolute contempt and the movie has to sort of "earn" that treatment. I'm never gonna do that out the gate.

I sat quietly, taking notes for all 12 entries of the Friday the 13th series, but gently caress you The Poughkeepsie Tapes I'm gonna practice chords while I endure you for the challenge.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gripweed posted:

People talk about Art the Clown from Terrifier, but the only clowns that terrify me are the ones in Congress!
You better watch out or when you turn around there's gonna be a clown standing there and when you look away it's going to get CLOSER TO YOU!!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Art goes to Washington

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I'm gonna buy some red clown noses and just roll them randomly around corners

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

buggy the clown aesthetic

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I feel like the right movie could scare me in the theatre but probably never again at home

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Crescent Wrench posted:

Going reverse chronologically, Nope

Nope scared me pretty good while I was watching it because of the things in real life I'm afraid of:
Animals turning on you
Kites

But it didn't keep me up at night worried about whether or not JJ is gonna get me. I do watch the skies when I drive over the grapevine now though.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

computer angel posted:

I saw the original Paranormal Activity in the theater, my friend did not tell me what is was about and the entire theater was super into it, sitting in that dark room full of other scared people actually helped me get afraid too. Probably the best horror movie experience I've ever had.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can gladly eat through John Carpenter's The Thing, but I find Being John Malkovich too skin-crawling to even think about.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, I would much rather be a shapeshifter than John Malkovich.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheBizzness posted:

I feel like the right movie could scare me in the theatre but probably never again at home

yeah that's where I'm at. I feel more in a theater. Home is just a terrible environment for movie watching. Unless you can afford a private screening room that is divorced from any distraction just like a theater is you'll never really watch a movie in perfect conditions.

I just saw Night of the Demons last night in theaters (on 35mm) and there were a couple people in the theater shrieking at the scare moments and getting skeeved out during the nipple scene. I am not doing that at home or getting that same experience. Maybe a cat jumps on me or I gotta get a snack or I pause the movie to look at something on my phone. Too many distractions and I never get absorbed like I should without really like focusing as hard as possible.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You better watch out or when you turn around there's gonna be a clown standing there and when you look away it's going to get CLOSER TO YOU!!!!

Clowns don't scare me just by dint of being clowns. I'm just fine with regular rear end balloon animal honky nose clowns. A creepy clown is creepy because it's creepy, not because it's a clown.

That said, if I ever end up staying somewhere and I find a clown in storage, I am walking right out the front door. Not putting up with that poo poo. Fuckin basement clown can keep my luggage.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Godzilla vs Jason but it's a disaster movie where Jason keeps having to do brave fireman hero saves of the people he immediately ends up killing before he just gets melted out of nowhere at the end because Godzilla gets mad at a helicopter and has no knowledge of/interest in the human plot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

Clowns don't scare me just by dint of being clowns. I'm just fine with regular rear end balloon animal honky nose clowns. A creepy clown is creepy because it's creepy, not because it's a clown.

That said, if I ever end up staying somewhere and I find a clown in storage, I am walking right out the front door. Not putting up with that poo poo. Fuckin basement clown can keep my luggage.

A creepy clown is creepy, not just because they’re inherently creepy, but also partly because it’s the corruption of something innocent

Something animatronic monsters seem to also tap into

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

No clown is innocent. They know what they did. It’s why they hide their true faces.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
To officially become a clown, a prospective clown must paint the face of their first victim on an egg and keep it in the clown college archives. This is a fact you can google it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think clowns are inherently creepy, and most people seem to agree. Trying to hard to make an Evil Clown tends to spoil it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Clowns are funny

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Clowns are funny

What about Gacy was he funny. Hrmmmm curious

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

DON'T YA LIKE CLOWNS?? AREN'T WE FUCKIN' FUNNAYYYYYY

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Finished House of Usher and it was fine, but the further it went along, the less engaging it was - every subsequent death after the Masque sequence is both smaller-scale and less grotesque and they drop the Rube Goldberg intracacy that made that first one so fun.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

TheBizzness posted:

Movies scare me at home just fine but yeah the theater experience is always better. Preferably with a bunch of people who are into the movie. Obviously that’s not an option for most movies but I always try to catch stuff in theaters when possible.

Seeing something like Skinamarink in a semi-crowded theater was great, I can’t imagine it would’ve been as effective at home alone. At the very least it’s a different experience.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

DON'T YA LIKE CLOWNS?? AREN'T WE FUCKIN' FUNNAYYYYYY
hosed up that that kid will never be held to account for his bigotry against clowns.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The worst discovery to make as a fan of the genre is framing. The second I figured out that if someone is on one side of a shot and there's an empty spot to the other side something def is gonna happen on that side things no longer became scary. Same whenever someone walks away from the group of people and there's blocking on one side of them. 10 times out of 10 they get dragged off to that side of the shot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There were some pre-baked digital smears, buffering, and glitches in Gonjian: Haunted Asylum and I got all excited that they were going to introduce some new form of scare and it never happened. Big bummer.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I still think about the scare they did in a cinema ad for The Woman in Black. It was made to look like a generic pre-movie ad about the cinema chain or Coca-Cola or whatever where people are going into the theatre and talking amongst themselves while eating popcorn etc, and halfway through the video glitched for a moment and the sound dropped out. It held on a wide shot of the audience just long enough for you to realize that there was a scary face between two of the audience members, and then it smash-zoomed in on it as it screamed. I was totally alone in the theatre when I saw this ad and a) it scared the absolute poo poo out of me and b) it took me over a decade to find a single other person who had seen the same ad. Presumably it was pulled for being too scary or something, because it sure got me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Halloween Jack posted:

hosed up that that kid will never be held to account for his bigotry against clowns.

Adorable fact: Sid Haig doing that genuinely made the kid cry, and Sid felt so bad he called off shooting so he could go get the kid an ice cream to apologize.

(I assume said ice cream was Tutti Fuckin' Fruity.)

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

gey muckle mowser posted:

Seeing something like Skinamarink in a semi-crowded theater was great, I can’t imagine it would’ve been as effective at home alone. At the very least it’s a different experience.

Huh, would've thought that's one where watching it at home alone with all the lights off would enhance the experience. Haven't seen it at the cinema to compare though.

I think one important ingredient of being scared as a kid that goes away as an adult is the feeling of stumbling onto something you're not meant to see. Like finding the Mr Bonestripper scene from Nothing But Trouble on TV late at night and without context, it's not really that violent but it felt off and unwelcome and not "for me" in a way that stuck in my memory. Whereas now I can watch Hellraiser without any problem because I'm an adult and it is exactly made for sickos like me.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I still think about the scare they did in a cinema ad for The Woman in Black. It was made to look like a generic pre-movie ad about the cinema chain or Coca-Cola or whatever where people are going into the theatre and talking amongst themselves while eating popcorn etc, and halfway through the video glitched for a moment and the sound dropped out. It held on a wide shot of the audience just long enough for you to realize that there was a scary face between two of the audience members, and then it smash-zoomed in on it as it screamed. I was totally alone in the theatre when I saw this ad and a) it scared the absolute poo poo out of me and b) it took me over a decade to find a single other person who had seen the same ad. Presumably it was pulled for being too scary or something, because it sure got me.

I would love to find this on YouTube

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Weird Sandwich posted:

Huh, would've thought that's one where watching it at home alone with all the lights off would enhance the experience. Haven't seen it at the cinema to compare though.

I think one important ingredient of being scared as a kid that goes away as an adult is the feeling of stumbling onto something you're not meant to see. Like finding the Mr Bonestripper scene from Nothing But Trouble on TV late at night and without context, it's not really that violent but it felt off and unwelcome and not "for me" in a way that stuck in my memory. Whereas now I can watch Hellraiser without any problem because I'm an adult and it is exactly made for sickos like me.

I think this nails it on the head. The forbidden, taboo sense of "I'm not supposed to see this" carried a lot of weight for me as a kid

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The only movies that really scare me are movies that basically actually trigger something in me that really bothers me. I mean, unpopular opinion but I kind of welcome this because it allows me to self-explore myself a little bit by actually being bothered by something in a film. Kind of a way to examine oneself, you know?

Like when the digestion scene in Nope happens. I find being digested alive to be a very horrifying thing on a visceral level (even the Sarlacc in Return of the Jedi bothered me as a kid). I had to take a break from the movie after that scene.

Theme-wise though nothing gets to me harder than a parent losing a child or a child losing a parent. Hereditary and the light pole scene and Toni Collette's loving screams hosed me up for the rest of the evening. Stephen King said that he considers Pet Semetary his scariest novel because it's the one thing that actually scares him personally.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Until you overstep the line just a little too far. 12 year old me was not meant to have seen Last House on the Left.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

computer angel posted:

The Medium is the one that got me turning on the lights before going to the bathroom this October.

Why doesn't Art kill a bunch of right-wingers? I'd tune in for that. The next great slasher phase adopts the "don't be a bastard in power" morality tale instead of "Don't have pre-marital sex, drink booze or do drugs".

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1719865456918515842

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
King will promote literally anything.