Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Noir89 posted:

Any multiplayer game mode with teammates are garbage and should be ignored or better yet removed. Having teammates either hampers you or acts as a crutch to help you get undeserved wins. They also provide a safety blanket in the form of "bwuh we would've won if you guys could play :qqsay:" or makes you feel like you carried them to a free win when in fact, they carried your sorry rear end, meaning you learned nothing from the match.

No the only real multiplayer mode is 1v1. Nothing to blame but you, no one to carry you to victory but you, and you get all the sweet sweet tears all for yourself when you crush their very soul and will to continue.

edit: Incidently I know this is an Unpopular Opinion since 1v1 is consistently the least played game mode due to gamers being massive wusses who love the comfort of blaming teammates to much to actually git gud.

Free for all is best. I may suck at a game but if I'm patient and have good timing I can steal a win.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

roomtone posted:

i've never been a big strategy game player but when i did play online i would always choose the max amount of players not cos i wanted to coattrail a good team but just because it was more casual and lively.

big-team multiplayer is great for chill games
small-team "esports" multiplayer is where it gets toxic

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Duck and Cover posted:

Free for all is best.

We already know you are a coward.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Noir89 posted:

If 1v1 does not work then was the game really supposed to exist?(Looking at you DotA-likes)

On another note, the trigger for my post was having to wait for 4(!)minutes for a 1v1 duel in For Honor twice in a row :v:

I greatly enjoyed that game but they added too many characters with unique gimmicks instead of believing in their base system

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Noir89 posted:

We already know you are a coward.

More towers. 1v1 is probably second best by the way, it's just FFA is best. Backpack Battles, Nox, Myth, Marble Blast Ultra . All about the ffa.

edit: Actually now that I think about it I don't have many 1v1 games I've played for much. Street Fighter 6, uh some battle top down robot mech game. So yeah I guess 1v1 isn't second best. Anyway FFA is best.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 2, 2023

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

satanic splash-back posted:

I greatly enjoyed that game but they added too many characters with unique gimmicks instead of believing in their base system

Just started playing again and having surprisingly fun! But then again I once kept up with LoL and all its hordes of characters.

Duck and Cover posted:

More towers. 1v1 is probably second best by the way, it's just FFA is best. Backpack Battles is peak video game.

Eeh I can at least give FFA it never pretends to be even remotely serious, and diplomacy is a real skill. But it still gives the blanket of "THEY TEAMED UP ON ME" when really you lost due to being an antisocial goon.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Noir89 posted:

Just started playing again and having surprisingly fun! But then again I once kept up with LoL and all its hordes of characters.

Eeh I can at least give FFA it never pretends to be even remotely serious, and diplomacy is a real skill. But it still gives the blanket of "THEY TEAMED UP ON ME" when really you lost due to being an antisocial goon.

I like 1v1v1v1 not so much the diplomacy. Best part of For Honor team fights is somebody complaining you didn't 1v1.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 2, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I like 1v1v1v1 not so much the diplomacy. Best part of For Honor team fights is somebody complaining you didn't 1v1.

Big agree on this.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Sonic was NEVER good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If a game only functions with 2 or more players it's not really a videogame

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

credburn posted:

Someone told me Deep Rock Galactic has a surprisingly wholesome community, so I jumped into a public server.

DRG has the Tryhard Gulf. 1-2* difficulty is for the beginngers. 3* difficulty is for people who want to have fun winning. 4* difficulty is for the players who hate losing, but want a challenge. 5* is for people who want to have fun trying not to lose.

As long as you stay out of 4*, chances are you're gaming with some bros, or some sistahs, you cant tell with dwarves

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh yeah I did and that means I want insta respawn? (I know it wasn't meant but I do think the idea of a multiplayer style respawn timer would be funny, funny bad but funny) No it doesn't. I get it I get it Hollow Knights has tons of flaws and you all thought you found one you could refute. Pretty sad really, I'm just trying to inform people about games being bad only to be viciously attacked. *shrugs*

:dafuq:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

haha someone taught the mimics how to hold shields :haw:

kind of adorable

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lol.

syntaxfunction posted:

Sonic was NEVER good.

Not true listening to Sonic is good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sClynDe-9PA.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 2, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

syntaxfunction posted:

Sonic was NEVER good.

Should have played Vectorman instead.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This version is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9sQ3SUKXXk

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Sonic is very interesting as a franchise because like so many other stellar franchises of the time it failed to make the transition from 2D to 3D, yet unlike those franchises which all just died they kept making Sonic games despite the fact they sucked and everyone hated them. It’s also weird for how a series whose games post-Genesis are so consistently bad can somehow have music that’s so consistently good.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Sonic is very interesting as a franchise because like so many other stellar franchises of the time it failed to make the transition from 2D to 3D, yet unlike those franchises which all just died they kept making Sonic games despite the fact they sucked and everyone hated them. It’s also weird for how a series whose games post-Genesis are so consistently bad can somehow have music that’s so consistently good.

furries

sonic adventure 1/2 founded an entire subculture within furries
this can safely be milked forever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Luigi's mansion series kind of stinks. I like what it's going for and there's a lot of charming animations but I think I have bought all of them without ever finishing a single one cause I always get bored.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waluigi's mansion smells like weed and sex

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Waluigi's mansion smells like weed and sex

You don't gotta keep covering for your brother, Mario, we all know he deals.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

galagazombie posted:

Sonic Generations and Colors were really close, the set piece stages are great, but they pad the rest of the game out with junk.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Waluigi is the best Nintendo character

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

galagazombie posted:

Sonic 2 is the definition of a bloated game for me. Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant? I'm having a great time! By the time I get to Metropolis I want someone to put a bullet in my head. The whole game can be played in, what, a leisurely 40 minutes? But even so, I feel irritable and bored for a lot of the last 24 of them.

Returning to Sonic 1 and its 3 act zones is interminable.

Save states helped Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Mania a lot, but they're still overlong.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

galagazombie posted:

This is mostly correct but i think you'll find that every sonic song with lyrics from the 3D era sucks major rear end and even the best of the songs without lyrics doesn't come close to the heights of sonic 2 and 3&K.

more like "escape from the lovely" amirite

SCheeseman posted:

Sonic Generations and Colors were really close, the set piece stages are great, but they pad the rest of the game out with junk.

:wrong: those games sucked rear end. It is sad that the panoply of 3D sonic games is so full of buggy, unplayable messes that the two games that are merely technically playable are lauded as good (or even just partially good) even though they're incredibly bland and the core gameplay loving sucks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

:wrong: those games sucked rear end. It is sad that the panoply of 3D sonic games is so full of buggy, unplayable messes that the two games that are merely technically playable are lauded as good (or even just partially good) even though they're incredibly bland and the core gameplay loving sucks.

I didn't say they were good, but there's moments in the main stages that get close to feeling like the original games, when it's trying to be a mix of Space Harrier and Outrun instead of Mario 64.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

galagazombie posted:

Sonic absolutely did not fail in its transition to 3D. Sonic Adventure was not only good, it was successful and pretty cutting edge for 1998. It avoided almost all the pitfalls that other 3D platformers made like lovely cameras and tank controls too. It's still fun as gently caress today and plays exactly how you'd expect a 3D game to by today's standards.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Sonic should have been killed off and dynamite headdy made the real Sega mascot

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

emSparkly posted:

Sonic absolutely did not fail in its transition to 3D. Sonic Adventure was not only good, it was successful and pretty cutting edge for 1998. It avoided almost all the pitfalls that other 3D platformers made like lovely cameras and tank controls too. It's still fun as gently caress today and plays exactly how you'd expect a 3D game to by today's standards.
Being better than Croc and Glover is not a real achievement, especially when Banjo Kazzoie, Crash Bandicoot, Ape Escape, Spyro and Rayman 2 were all already around. Also Sonic Adventure has a legendarily lovely camera wtf?

I played Sonic Adventure in 1999 as part of a Dreamcast my parents impulse bought me and was really disappointed, having gone in fully wanting to love it. There are things I liked then and like now-- the OST is overall pretty fun and the Mystic Ruins song is burnt into my brain in the good way..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUpCPpdjh1E&t=3319s

... you are right that the base movement was much more fluid compared to contemporaries, and I really do respect the ambition of 6 different playable characters, including two new ones with wildly divergent gameplay styles. That said that ambition was a terrible idea and they didn't end up making a very fun game, just a playable one.

The people that like 3D Sonic games from that time were either very small children, some kind of furry, or both, and that's totally cool but they kind-of have to own that to the wider audience those games are thought of as lesser and there's good reason for why.

SCheeseman posted:

They always run into the problem of having to slow the game down to pad out playtime and vary up the style, and it always ends up being a chore.

Sonic Mania was by far the best thing Sonic's put out in the last 25 years, and it's weird that despite hitting high acclaim and selling over 1 million copies in the first year, SEGA didn't just go "ok so give a small team a budget and have 'em crank one of these out every 3-4 years."

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Sonic Adventure soundtrack is on par with that of any Tony Hawk game soundtrack and is in fact better than several Tony Hawk game soundtracks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Liking Sonic games is like being a black or gay republican.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The UK Sonic comics ruled though, for stuff like the Kid Chamelon strip where he was a kid from a council estate. Also, Kid Chameleon was great.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The 2d sonic games are annoying because they want you to go fast but you can barely see 10 feet in front of you because the sprites are so big. And if you go slow you've got slippery platforming compared to Mario. Like what am I supposed to do, memorise the levels so I know when to jump? Maybe I'd do that if I were 8 and only got one game every six months, but I ain't got time for that.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

The 2d sonic games are annoying because they want you to go fast but you can barely see 10 feet in front of you because the sprites are so big. And if you go slow you've got slippery platforming compared to Mario. Like what am I supposed to do, memorise the levels so I know when to jump? Maybe I'd do that if I were 8 and only got one game every six months, but I ain't got time for that.

Good point, but I'm sure they'll figure it out by the time Sonic makes the jump to 3d

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are no good sonic games only sonic games that are better than other sonic games. The closest a sonic game came to being good is Mario & Sonic at the olympics and those are bad Mario games because of Sonic.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed was really fun, but only cops played as Sonic and pals in that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Disco Pope posted:

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed was really fun, but only cops played as Sonic and pals in that.

I haven't play a Mario Kart since Double Dash so I'm probably wrong, but this was the best kart racer I'd ever played and I still consistently play it. At around 6 AM Pacific time you can usually still manage to go online and find a filled out race to jump into! Good luck at any other time of day though :(

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

:hmmyes:

Legitimately a bummer that it was the only new JSRF content in the last 22 years.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Disco Pope posted:

Sonic 2 is the definition of a bloated game for me. Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant? I'm having a great time! By the time I get to Metropolis I want someone to put a bullet in my head. The whole game can be played in, what, a leisurely 40 minutes? But even so, I feel irritable and bored for a lot of the last 24 of them.

Returning to Sonic 1 and its 3 act zones is interminable.

Save states helped Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Mania a lot, but they're still overlong.
Weird thing is Sonic 2's stages are pretty short. Every stage up until Metropolis can be finished in under a minute with a good run, a lot of them under 30 seconds.

Sonic 3 had about 2/3 as many stages, but they take over twice as long each, and then S&K doubled that. 3's stages were also way more vertical so they sent you back further if you fell off of something. They kept the same time limit though, so I think first playthrough I hit the end of Carnival Night 2 or something and hit the last checkpoint before the boss without enough time left to kill the boss and there was no way to do anything but game over.

Caesar Saladin posted:

At normal run speed, you're supposed to just see the jump in time. At faster-than-run-speed, you're supposed to roll to go even faster and kill enemies that would hit you with contact damage, and the game will throw something in that slows you down when you need to start paying attention again.

Sometimes it does bullshit like putting a flamethrower or spiky enemy or something in a high-speed section that will hit you even if you're rolling. In those cases, yes, the idea is that on a casual playthrough, you'll slam into those things and have to recover your rings, and if you want to get high ring counts for extra lives and bonus stages, you're supposed to learn the level.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I've been replaying FFIX for shits and giggles recently and it (by way of not having them) has brought to my attention that I straight up dislike, if not hate, portraits in speech boxes. They disconnect the dialogue from the onscreen characters for no good reason.

FFIX has these delightful dynamic speech bubbles that convey a TON of stuff by coming in and out quickly, overlapping on interruptions, clever screen placement, etc... In a way that really binds them to the on-screen characters, and took me by surprise at how amazing it works. Like, I'll take this over non-outstanding VA any day.

I get most games don't have the resources to execute at that level, but just getting rid of portraits would already be better in my book.