Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Yet every cold-war-gone-hot game released always assumes both a Soviet first strike (because they are evil and we are good)

Most of the stories I've seen the USA rationally and honorably launch a first strike because they were deceived into thinking it was needed, but then stop at the last second because a brave patriot named Vasily Aleksandrovich Arkhipov Jack Hawkbond lifts the deception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

there's probably some train of thought there where the West wouldn't be taken by surprise such that those pre-positioned provisions will have already been tapped and utilized before the breakout of a conflict

well yeah, if anybody was gonna start ww3 it would be the west

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Cerebral Bore posted:

ain't no loving way there exists a locale named grobbendonk

the dutch/flemish language is full of wonders.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Japan hosed up every HSR project they tried to sell oversea is so funny

India: nothing but 1 mile has been built? Anyway Abe sold this turkey to India and India has given up on it, they are rolling their own slow 100+ kmph "high speed" rail.

Thailand: Thailand is a classic case of fence sitter and always try to buy from both east and west. They planed 3 projects, norther rail being built by China and maybe 1/3 finished. China has already finish the Laos HSR so once they finish the Thailand portion they can connect Laos, Thailand and short part of Cambodia and connect to whole mainland SEA on standard gauge HSR. The ETA is 2027.

Southern rail project is shorter and hasn't started yet AFAIK.

Western rail, handled by Japan and they have already abandoned it

Vietnam: signed up with Japan a long time ago, nothing has been built, except spend years fighting over the cost. Vietnam has pretty much given up on it and asked China to build a northern portion connecting Hanoi to China. I think once that portion is operational they will slowly extend the HSR south ward. The internal politic of Vietnam is that the northern part is more pro China and the southern part is more anti China so that makes sense.

Taiwan: they already brought the package from France. But president at the time was Lee Teng hui and he grew up under Japanese rules with a Japanese name, was secretly very pro Japan. So he forced the railway authority to buy half of the tech from Japan and merge two into a bastardized HSR they are using today. Outside of very expensive Japanese parts there is no benefit over the French tech.

So that's all the Japanese oversea infrastructure projects in a nut shell.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Nov 1, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

I would like to think that I was taught how to do war the right way, at the Artillery School, where we spent days drafting complex fire plans that required hundreds of rounds per gun, had crews dig gun pits and camouflage their guns etc. The institutional army is very old school, and takes a lot of professional pride in traditions.

Yeah ok maybe but I mean like, doctrinally the organization you were part of learned how to do war wrong (because they copied the loser nazis) and the society was never going to give you the tools they taught you were required to do the job they taught you how to do. So like, in the ultimate sense all your studying and exercising was a waste of time because it was all deliberately set up to fail, wasn't it? Again, even leaving aside whether any of this ever had an actual use-case because of nukes.

Even now when you are ostensibly in some sort of advisory role (?) in which you specifically are supposed to be thinking about this kind of stuff you're not allowed to say any of the important bits out loud because they are politically incorrect.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is this about building a new line or just simplifying customs? Because lmao if the US is involved in building the rail lines that'll never happen. Even subcontracting in another country I bet it ends up a total clusterfuck. The rail line near my house that was supposed to be built already just keeps getting pushed back. Connecting one Seattle suburb to another is going to be the work of decades. Getting from Seattle to a nearby town is a dream only our children can possibly realize.

they're meant to be building infrastructure lol (rail and a probably an unreported pipeline in the case of the KSA part). there have been many jokes and counterpoints like the port in greece being largely owned by china's BRI or the fact that america can't even repair rail in their own country.

also the IMEC is just the latest iteration of the western rivals to BRI like BBB or the blue dot network or whatever the half a dozen variants were announced

although i could believe the one thing americans still know how to build are oil/gas pipelines.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

crepeface posted:

although i could believe the one thing americans still know how to build are oil/gas pipelines.

Step 1: Find the nearest minority group and bulldoze a right-of-way through their land...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah ok maybe but I mean like, doctrinally the organization you were part of learned how to do war wrong (because they copied the loser nazis) and the society was never going to give you the tools they taught you were required to do the job they taught you how to do. So like, in the ultimate sense all your studying and exercising was a waste of time because it was all deliberately set up to fail, wasn't it? Again, even leaving aside whether any of this ever had an actual use-case because of nukes.

Yes, though the Commonwealth militaries are more secure in our own traditions than the Americans, and less insecure about our performance against the Wehrmacht in WW2. They all retained a firepower focus until Afghanistan (where we had to leave the firepower behind, and the Cold War stuff was starting to break down and wasn't being replaced).

Having said that, all of our politicians and defence officials bought into the American stuff from the 1990's on, which as you said came from the Germans, so we were never provisioned with the firepower to have a firepower focus. I don't know anyone who likes manoeuvre, even in the Strathconas, CMBGs aren't made for it.

Even the CMBGs are the result of political pressure in the 1970's, Canadian brigades were originally much heavier. Until the 90's the CMBGs still had the Big Battalions, a Canadian infantry battalion had a lot more weapons than the Americans, and we, the Brits and the Australians all pushed 76mm guns down to FSVs backing the infantry, for example. Our weapons companies are still larger and heavier (though again, after Afghanistan they lost a lot of weapons - M2s, TOWs, some of their mortars).

Kind of the worst way to go about things actually, since we became light, lean, agile, not because the military believed in it but because the politicians did, primarily for fiscal reasons and peacekeeping rotations, then Afghanistan.

Which I suppose, is worse, in a way. Forced to adopt doctrine nobody has confidence in or likes essentially because we have to. If you read back issues of Canadian Army Journal, you can see how this happened. Nobody was convinced, it was just dictated that "you don't have enough resources to do what you want". A bit like the Belgian Army giving up all of their tracked vehicles because the politicians wanted to save money, and then having to make some sort of workable doctrine after that.

Orange Devil posted:

Even now when you are ostensibly in some sort of advisory role (?) in which you specifically are supposed to be thinking about this kind of stuff you're not allowed to say any of the important bits out loud because they are politically incorrect.

I would like to think phone posting is my form of quiet protest.

To your point, there's a ceiling to any of my advice, and that ceiling is, the government isn't going to do anything they don't want to do, so even if you are "correct", that firepower is the best way to conduct such and such an operation, for the many ways discussed ITT, they're never going to furnish you with it, so, yeah it can be a bit limiting.

I would summarize the entirety of the above post by just looking at the saga of the MMEV.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There is no profit in fixing anything but plenty of profit in consulting about it.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/MilitaryTimes/status/1719905179670036805?s=20

quote:

The Army will cut as many as 3,000 positions in Army special operations forces despite pushback from key leaders in the SOF community and members of Congress.

“There will be cuts to Army SOF,” Chris Maier, assistant secretary of defense for special operations and low-intensity conflict said Tuesday at the National Defense Industrial Association’s 34th annual symposium on the topic. “The Army’s in a tough place, not only from recruiting…but they’re trying to transition to a different fight as we all are, and I think one of the impacts of that is requests by the Army to cut some of the Army special operations forces.”

Army Times reported in mid-October that many of the cuts would be to unfilled billets within U.S. Army Special Operations Command and would eliminate as much as 10% of the positions in that command.

“I’m being told, ‘oh, don’t be concerned, it’s not to the actual operators, it’s only many of the support personnel, our civil affairs, our intelligence, our logistics,” said Rep. Mike Waltz, R-Fla., in a prerecorded message played at the symposium. “Those are the people that we need to make the trains run. Those are the people that free up our operators to do what they do best. And oh, by the way they have a critical mission in their own right.”

Some of the rationale for cutting SOF, officials said, is coming from a limited view of what the force has done over the past 20 years and what its capabilities are moving forward.

Rep. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, said that within the Pentagon SOF is seen almost as a “one-trick pony” that’s focused solely on counterterrorism.

And with the Global War On Terrorism’s end, the idea among top brass is they can now downsize the force to save money and manpower for other conventional needs, especially given the Army’s recruiting struggles in recent years.

“So, when you just simply say I’m going to cut 3,000 out of USASOC and we’re going to be fine, I don’t buy that,” Ernst said. “If we are not supporting SOF they are gradually going to fade into the background and again, once they are gone, once they are diminished, it will take time to rebuild. And we don’t have time on our hands.”

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

if theres enough that you can cut 3000 of em maybe theyre not that special

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Fellatio del Toro posted:

imo it's a roundabout way of admitting that 3,000 of the finest tier one operators are buried in ukraine

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I think it’s pretty cool that Turkey holds onto our nukes with an unlocked door

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fellatio del Toro posted:

They're going to lose their minds, because there's barely anyway to get someone who was attached or supporting them to not be a sulking little bitch when they go back to their infantry battalion. There is no way these guys are going to cooperate and go back to Big Army, they'll have to release and be cops or YouTubers or whatever.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

They're going to lose their minds, because there's barely anyway to get someone who was attached or supporting them to not be a sulking little bitch when they go back to their infantry battalion. There is no way these guys are going to cooperate and go back to Big Army, they'll have to release and be cops or YouTubers or whatever.

I know that Navy Seals mostly write books. I guess we'll see if the Army special forces can make the jump to youtube or podcasting.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON DEATH SQUADS, YOU WILL REGRET THIS

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I figured they'd do the opposite and make everyone special forces. Tier 1 operator cook going full kinetic on meal planning

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Frosted Flake posted:

they're all going to go to israel and get shredded by drones dropping 1950's soviet grenades

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

lmao reposting from the Palestinian thread

https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1719875339906683002

We need to immediately dump more of the defense budget on silicon valley grifters. We cannot allow an app store gap to develop even vs our allies.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

countdown to lazerpig video fellating this obviously good idea

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FuzzySlippers posted:

We need to immediately dump more of the defense budget on silicon valley grifters. We cannot allow an app store gap to develop even vs our allies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone have a link to said exercises?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

we are slightly less deluded than our favorite pet, but

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The four thousand page plan includes gems like "enemies let marines come and get their gear beforehand??"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://news.yahoo.com/army-suddenly-chaotically-told-hundreds-200550394.html

working hard thank you

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this is the only paragraph in the Pentagon produced 80 page 2022 National Defense Strategy where Israel is mentioned

this is the public digest of the global strategy tbf, I'm sure they got the four thousand page plan somewhere
https://media.defense.gov/2022/Oct/27/2003103845/-1/-1/1/2022-NATIONAL-DEFENSE-STRATEGY-NPR-MDR.PDF

also here is 2023 report on China
https://media.defense.gov/2023/Oct/19/2003323409/-1/-1/1/2023-MILITARY-AND-SECURITY-DEVELOPMENTS-INVOLVING-THE-PEOPLES-REPUBLIC-OF-CHINA.PDF

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

Lmfao they will operate the tank via a touch screen and log into an app so it knows who's driving and 'adapt itself automatically' and the waze-like satnav will help it avoid atgm's

Lmfao

How can this be real what the gently caress I'm not even high

Lmao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do you actually need to cloud login for the fake tank? Actually a cloud OS tank?

I hope it's syncing their playlists.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

fits my needs posted:

pakistan vs india border dress drills are cooler

especially when the indian side at least is essentially border police.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

It really sounds like a little bit of slava to me to be honest. The great history of a unit and its name is interesting and everything, but what really they should be aspiring to do is be a unit that can respond to modern-day threats, not live up to some random unit of dead men. It really isn't a neoliberalism thing either to be honest.

You say that but while the millenium was ending gurkhas were climbing up mountains and removing heads with their khukris during war.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

That war was pretty strange if you think about it. Two british trained militaries whose top brass fought together in WW2 and whose armies had just begun to diverge doctrinally less than a decade ago fought a massive war - with one side full of america backed religious nuts and the other side looking like a college diversity pamphlet.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1719868613673484374?s=20

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I have so many questions but I'm terrified of the potential answers.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

poemdexter posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

poemdexter posted:

missiles, or at least those being tested, have self destruct charges on them that a range safety officer can detonate if the rocket goes off track

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

missiles, or at least those being tested, have self destruct charges on them that a range safety officer can detonate if the rocket goes off track

what did you say about the missile motherfucker?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Since the Markava has been mentioned, let's talk active protection systems as a great example of American industrial know-how.

There are two main kinds of active protection systems: soft-kill and hard-kill.

Soft-kill systems serve to render an incoming ATGM ineffective through disrupting its guidance systems. This can take the form of jammers, smoke\aerosols to disrupt laser guidance, laser dazzlers to blind missile operators, or IR "dazzlers" to confuse IR guidance systems - such as Shtora-1 fitted on T-90s.

Shtora has proven effective against old missiles, such as TOW, but not very effective against more modern missiles such as TOW-2 or Javelin, and is no longer being mounted on new production T-90s.

Because they seek to disrupt guidance, soft-kill systems of course are only affective against guided missiles. RPGs and tank arounds are not affected.

Hard-kill systems use radar to detect incoming fast-moving projectiles, and fire an interceptor to detonate it before it hits the tank. RPGs and ATGMS are the obvious target, but high end hard-kill systems are reportedly effective in degrading (though not stopping) the performance of tank sabot rounds. One of the main weaknesses of most systems is that they cannot fire up, and are thus useless against top-attack munitions such as Javelin or Spike-NLOS. China is an exception. So far, they are the only country to demonstrate a hard-kill system capable of firing upwards and intercepting a top-attack munition. Presumably because they're one of the few militaries that expects to fight a conventional war against American weapons, rather than goat herders with RPGs.

That's the primer, but where does the US come in?

The most well-known in the West system is Israel's Trophy. It has been deployed by Israel since 2010.

All the way back in 2007, the US army wanted to test it, but the US decided that Raytheon will develop their own instead, so there is no need to test the Israeli one. Fast forward to 2017, and the US decided to test Trophy instead, since Raytheon's version apparently did not impress. In 2018, the US decided to buy Trophy and have it produced within the US, and first deliveries to real units started in 2022.

This demonstrates the US' technological edge, it's ability to quickly adapt new technologies, and US military industry's ability to make their own and produce it quickly.

Contrast this with the backwards, technologically illiterate Soviets: it took the Soviets until 1977 to come up with the concept, and until 1981 to install it on tanks in Afghanistan.

Drozd had issues (it was extremely dangerous to friendly nearby infantry) and eventually was abandoned, with the next-gen Arena entering production in 1997. General Dynamics Land Systems attempted to buy it for integration on Turkish and US Abrams in 1998.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Nov 2, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
US Army is having a recruiters crisis and doing emergency reassignments + waiving all eligibility requirements:
https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1719825444503994642

quote:

"Given the six-day heads up, we have zero time to plan child care," one noncommissioned officer told Military.com on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media. "We can barely find and afford child care during the week as it is, so now my wife may end up having to quit her job entirely because it is impossible to find on the weekend."
People finding out they are getting Emergency reassignment orders:
https://old.reddit.com/r/army/comments/17kj9hi/in_case_you_are_wondering_why_you_got_recruiting/

err has issued a correction as of 18:12 on Nov 2, 2023

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
What are the extra recruiters supposed to do? Drag people off the streets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Learning all the best lessons from the Ukrainian war.