Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I thinnk these lightning modules might be the best thing to use if you want to make a cover of the original xbox boot animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CatBlack posted:

I thinnk these lightning modules might be the best thing to use if you want to make a cover of the original xbox boot animation

it was such a cool noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll6Unc5CC5I

Still is I guess, but you know what I mean.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
fans.

they oscillate.

there's so much cool poo poo here and it's all pretty cheap

https://gieskes.nl/shop/

https://gieskes.nl/instruments/?file=3TrinsRGB1

this may end up being my first video module

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

that's cool as hell; for $50 i think i'll order one for little jones for christmas, unless y'all have a better rec for that

its a sick touch that the filters are analog

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
lol my Voco[R]dr is being sent Fedex Ground

here we go again

I did eventually get the saxophone so maybe it's fine?!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Trying very hard not to spend this expense reimbursement I got from work on the Basimilus Iteritas Alia. Not sure I'm going to be successful, its way too rad.

I did just order a "mint condition" SQ64 for $105 off of reverb. Couldn't pass that up.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have this idea that i'd like to build a synth. it'd be fun. i guess the way to do that is to do the euro rack thing. but individual vco kits are at least $100, filters are more, id need to build a midi to cv thing, etc. i messed around in vcv rack and id need at least a couple vcos, a coupler filters, a vca or four, and at some point its just insanely expensive to get a mediocre-at-best synth that takes up half the gat-dang desk. so i'm probably not gonna do that.

so are there any cool synth build kits out there yall know about?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

i have this idea that i'd like to build a synth. it'd be fun. i guess the way to do that is to do the euro rack thing. but individual vco kits are at least $100, filters are more, id need to build a midi to cv thing, etc. i messed around in vcv rack and id need at least a couple vcos, a coupler filters, a vca or four, and at some point its just insanely expensive to get a mediocre-at-best synth that takes up half the gat-dang desk. so i'm probably not gonna do that.

You’re shooting for a polyphonic synth right off the bat when you might want to start mono and then expand later. Also, if you go Eurorack, why recreate the functionality of, essentially, a Korg Minilogue for more money? The joy of Eurorack is that it allows you to get weird and explore things you wouldn’t necessarily do with an out-of-the-box synthesizer.

Any full synthesizer kits I can think of are either going to be monophonic (Dreadbox does limited runs from time to time), or experimental-type noisy things (Neutral Labs’ Elmyra).

I’ve built a PAIA 9700 and wouldn’t recommend it. You’re better off sticking with Eurorack. Maybe a PAIA Fatman, which I have no experience with, but it’s more of a regular monosynth, whereas the 9700 is an odd-duck modular system in Frac Rack format in a world where Eurorack has won.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Achmed Jones posted:

I haven't built or used one of these, but it looks pretty cool: https://www.tubeohm.com/jeannie-main.html

Looks like you can get Shruthi kits there too. Its monophonic but was a Mutable Instruments design and sounds good

e: yeah, you don't want to get into eurorack to recreate a regular rear end synth. You get into eurorack because you hate money and human contact

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 29, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

to be honest i dont have any desire to do eurorack as such. i just like building stuff. thanks for the pointers yall!

that jeannie kit looks right up my alley, ty!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 29, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eurorack is an obvious starting point because the standard is well defined and you can buy any components you don't currently have the skills to make and (assuming you don't short anything out) it will "just work."

Moritz Klein on youtube has a pretty good library of how to make basic synthesis circuits.

Still a money pit, but burning all your disposable income is the entire point of hobbies.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

some nerd gave me this and all it got me was a ban from the local friday mtg meetup

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Between BMC and NLC there’s enough wild PCBs available to keep you busy for lifetimes. Sounds like you can tackle a BOM but synthcube does do kits for a mess of NLC’s.

https://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com
https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com
https://synthcube.com

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
synthcube does have the advantage of magpie panels as an option for NLC with their full kits. it is strongly suggested to pick up the SMD parts from your preferred component source or tayda instead due to significant cost savings

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Also don't sleep on https://musicfromouterspace.com/ or http://www.synthpanel.com/.
https://oakleysound.com/ is mostly MOTM but there are still some eurorack projects available if that's your thing.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

these are great resources, thanks!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

Better have a paycheck or two lined up for that one.

I have a Chainsaw and it's great for pads/triads, but yeah, you can't do real polyphony with it.

For those who want some weird unique distortion: The Neutral Labs Nijel has a micro-breadboard on its front where you can either plug in electronics components like capacitors and resistors, or a series of plugin cards that you can get with the module. You can get incredibly gnarly and unique distortion character out of it, and if you're a DIY person, the kit *plus the cards* is just $60 US. I'm having a blast with this thing.
You fucker. I ordered one, and an ochd like 2 days before your post.
:getin:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

B33rChiller posted:

You fucker. I ordered one, and an ochd like 2 days before your post.
:getin:

Goddamn! What are you doing with the breadboard there? That's loving awesome :D

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What exactly is that sign trying to say? Not to use use diodes with the breadboard, or to be careful because there are no diodes in the module?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

Looks like a photocell aimed at a led.. make the led flicker, photocell spits out variable voltages.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

I am just using the breadboard to expand the patch points from the front, so I can have more components in parallel. Kinda bodge together the circuits from the cards they sell.
One of the legs is a LED and light dependent resistor in series.

Pollyanna posted:

What exactly is that sign trying to say? Not to use use diodes with the breadboard, or to be careful because there are no diodes in the module?

The sign is saying to not use polarized capacitors. Only ceramic, bidirectional.

The manual is pretty great about saying x is safe to do, Y and z are not. If you screw it up, you might pop open components inside and out.
Here's the full schematic for the module, and expander cards, as well as some suggested uses for the loose components we bundled in.
Have fun.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 30, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

this is what it sounds like

pro-800 and minitaur

https://soundcloud.com/rodtronics/system2short

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

B33rChiller posted:

I am just using the breadboard to expand the patch points from the front, so I can have more components in parallel. Kinda bodge together the circuits from the cards they sell.
One of the legs is a LED and light dependent resistor in series.

Oh nice! I just couldn't tell whether you were doing a more complicated circuit with them at first glance. :) The photoresistor/diode combo is super fun, yeah. My favorite is pairing a 100nF capacitor with one of the cards, it causes a lot of high-pitched chirpy artifacts that sound loving awesome with the right drum loop.

Pollyanna posted:

Not to use electrolytic/polarized capacitors, because if voltage goes the wrong direction in them they go kaboom. They also caution against using transistors or ICs with the circuit, since unless you really know what you're doing it could also cause problems/component damage, but electrolytic capacitors are the easiest thing to put in there that could literally explode if put in wrong.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 31, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

B33rChiller posted:

The sign is saying to not use polarized capacitors. Only ceramic, bidirectional.

Lol gently caress it’s been a while since I did electronics stuff :(

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Don't beat yerself up. I only know that because it's spelled out explicitly in the manual.
And I freaking love to rtfm

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Hi all, I'm looking for a groovebox to pair with my microfreak. Right now I'm using it with a JDXI, what I dislike about the JDXI is the lack of song mode. I get 4 tracks, and 4 measures. I would like to replace this with either a circuit tracks, roland mv-101, or roland mc-101. At least I think those are the best options.

Looking at the manuals it looks like all of these should be able to provide a song mode, but then I look at the workflows and some of them have odd menu diving, or the creation of songs is very limited. I would just like to be able to setup a song and jam with my microfreak without a pile of limitations, is there anything anyone here recommends?

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Digitakt.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Over the syntakt?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

moonshine is...... posted:

Over the syntakt?

the syntakt is a more specialized unit that costs almost 50% more. not to say that the syntakt is a bad unit not worth buying, i very much want one but as far a general use grooveboxes go a digitakt will take you about as far as you can want to go

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

watho posted:

the syntakt is a more specialized unit that costs almost 50% more. not to say that the syntakt is a bad unit not worth buying, i very much want one but as far a general use grooveboxes go a digitakt will take you about as far as you can want to go

How good is the digitakt at sequencing chromatic tracks? I had it in my head it was mostly a drum machine/sampler, but my model:cycles sequences melodic stuff just fine so I suppose it’s ok?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

tylertfb posted:

How good is the digitakt at sequencing chromatic tracks? I had it in my head it was mostly a drum machine/sampler, but my model:cycles sequences melodic stuff just fine so I suppose it’s ok?

Its fine! On the 8 midi out tracks you can do up to 4 notes per "step", but on the 8 internal tracks you can only do 1 note per step. With the recent update it has a bunch of scales you can select from so you can jam out in keyboard mode and be entirely in key. Its a pretty nice brain tbh. I was using it to control my blofeld and beebo and had a blast

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
Depending on how you like to enter notes , melodic sequencing on the Digitakt isn’t quite as nice as with the Circuits. You can’t see 16 steps and 16 notes at the same time, but overall MIDI functionality is pretty great. You can assign 8 CCs and the MIDI LFOs are powerful. You also get all the other nice Elektron sequencer features like probability, scaling, micro-timing, fill triggers, various live and step recording modes, etc.

You can hook up a MIDI keyboard and use the “auto channel” feature to easily play or record to the selected track.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At long last bad gear has revealed that the bookshelf is not a green screen.

This bugged me way more than it should have.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Teenage Engineering are offloading their pocket operator modular 16 sequencer for 60 euros/pounds.

https://teenage.engineering/store/16/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Boody posted:

Teenage Engineering are offloading their pocket operator modular 16 sequencer for 60 euros/pounds.

https://teenage.engineering/store/16/

I hope they bring back more of the POM 170 at $210, so that I can grab one of the post-revision models rather than take a chance on preowned or the few new-at-that-price ones left in retail

dropping the POM 400 to sub-$300 and fixing the issues with the original run made it practically reasonably-priced for what you get

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Hey folks. Wanted to share this with you.

https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/irreproducible-demo

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Releasing anything is a win, bonus points for chiptunes. Great job, keep making more music.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Just ordered new Hypersynth Hcard-701 for the DX-7, turning it into the ultimate preset machine. Space for 12800 presets. Can load off the cartridge as to not have to look at the screen.
Plugging the DX-7 into the Digitone for the chrous/reverb/delay, sounds pretty dang good.
Main setup I'd like to be DX7/m8/Digitone/MegaFM/Bluebox mixer. Trying to be somewhat minimal.

Can anyone recommend some really good DJ style headphones?

Sounds lke it's mixed pretty good for my laptop speakers! Very crisp, the filters set just right for good sound layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Voco[R]der is cool; the on board (digital) VCO is not amazing but having a built in VCO (and noise generator!) at all is just a nice bonus, on top of the weird rear end things you can do with looped spectral analysis you can scrub through like it's tape and vary the speed on. It's got a "rewire" knob that remaps input and output bands; at the furthest setting it goes to a random mapping and then you can get a new random mapping by wiggling a little.

I'm not doing much music (aside from practicing a saxophone with some diligence) but I am learning a lot about what kinds of sounds produce interesting spectral signatures, harmonic signatures, etc. I want to mess with pushing stuff through a spectral delay on Hyperion before feeding it into the analyzer...