Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

mrmcd posted:

You asked what colonial projects were driven by ideology

No, I asked what colonies came from ideologies. And I meant in a way that's completely divorced from a parent nation-state. Manifest destiny was just a bunch of stuff around the very practical (I'm not apologizing for it but "holy poo poo, free land over there" is barely an ideology) expansionist policies of the United States. I'm asking for something similar to the claimed Zionism->Israel ideological colonialism.

I'm not even arguing that Israel isn't colonial in many ways, I just think people are trying to make statements that are way stronger than they support.

EDIT:

PT6A posted:

Except the Puritans who did migrate for explicitly ideological reasons.

Ok, this is actually a convincing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Mister Fister posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesSurowiecki/status/1719725831520399691

Hamas spokesman promises more October 7th's until Israel is annihilated. While simultaneously saying they didn't mean to harm civilians on October 7, but it happened due to "complications"

Is there a better translation of what he's saying other than Memri? Also, would they even be able to repeat it at the moment?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

No, I asked what colonies came from ideologies. And I meant in a way that's completely divorced from a parent nation-state. Manifest destiny was just a bunch of stuff around the very practical (I'm not apologizing for it but "holy poo poo, free land over there" is barely an ideology) expansionist policies of the United States. I'm asking for something similar to the claimed Zionism->Israel ideological colonialism.

I'm not even arguing that Israel isn't colonial in many ways, I just think people are trying to make statements that are way stronger than they support.

EDIT:

Ok, this is actually a convincing one.

The parent nation-state doesn't necessarily have any particular connection to the actual colonial project. All the parent nation-state needs to do is create the conditions to allow colonization, by providing political and military support to prevent the natives from driving out the settlers. Settlers will happily flock to economically-productive land as long as there's no legal, economic, or military obstacles to doing so. While this is usually done for the direct profit of the parent nation-state (because this kind of support isn't cheap), it occasionally happens that a nation-state will provide free support to an ethnic or cultural group regarded as "friendly" in return for perceived indirect benefits in having a friendly presence in the region.

That said, the British mainly removed the legal and military obstacles. The removal of economic obstacles doesn't necessarily require nation-state involvement, and in this case it was the result of an ideological movement. Zionist organizations fundraised from well-off Jews in America and Western Europe, and used that money to pay for the transportation of poor Jews to Palestine, as well as their absorption into Jewish colonies upon arrival. Wealthy bankers who believed strongly in Zionism, like Baron Edmond James de Rothschild and Baron Maurice de Hirsch, established and heavily funded groups like the Jewish Colonization Association which bought up Palestinian land and subsidized migration to Palestine. Meanwhile, Zionist industrialists and engineers founded organizations like the Jewish National Fund that heavily engaged in fundraising among Jews worldwide, using Zionist rhetoric to gather donations which could be used to buy up land in Palestine and lease it to Jews. While the political and military obstacles were cleared by Britain, the financial support for establishing Jewish colonies in Palestine was drawn from the Zionist ideological movement.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Willo567 posted:

Is there a better translation of what he's saying other than Memri? Also, would they even be able to repeat it at the moment?

posting MEMRI should be a sixer imo, that poo poo is completely unreliable as a translation

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

punishedkissinger posted:

posting MEMRI should be a sixer imo, that poo poo is completely unreliable as a translation

I've been pretty sus of it the last couple times it's come up. Do you have a particular corroborating link or two or something I can review?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Also have no idea why the interview is being reported now since it was a week ago

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

I agree with this if it means all non-reputable twitter posts get a sixer in this thread, it's been ridiculous. And surprising, since this thread is supposed to have stricter rules

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 2, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I've been pretty sus of it the last couple times it's come up. Do you have a particular corroborating link or two or something I can review?

The Guardian: Arabic Under Fire

The Guardian: Selective MEMRI

Most notorious stunt:

quote:

According to Memri, the child replies: "We will annihilate the Jews."
The sound quality on the clip is not very good, but I have listened to it several times (as have a number of native Arabic speakers) and we can hear no word that might correspond to "annihilate".
What the girl seems to say is: "Bitokhoona al-yahood" - "The Jews will shoot us" or "The Jews are shooting us."

Again, the girl's reply is not very clear, but it's either: "I'll become a martyr" or "We'll become martyrs."

In the context of the conversation, and in line with normal Arab-Islamic usage, martyrdom could simply mean being killed by the Israelis' shooting. However, Memri's translation of the sentence - "I will commit martyrdom" turns it into a deliberate act on the girl's part, and Colonel Carmon has since claimed that it refers to suicide bombers.

"Yigal Carmon, head of MEMRI posted:

She said the sentence where it says [in Memri's translation] "We are going to ... we will annihilate the Jews", she said: "Well, our translators hear something else. They hear 'The Jews are shooting at us'."
I said to her: "You know, Octavia, the order of the words as you put it is upside down. You can't even get the order of the words right. Even someone who doesn't know Arabic would listen to the tape and would hear the word 'Jews' is at the end, and also it means it is something to be done to the Jews, not by the Jews."
And she insisted, no the word is in the beginning. I said: "Octavia, you just don't get it. It is at the end" ... She didn't know one from two, I mean.

It was indeed amazing, because in defending Memri's translation, Carmon took issue not only with CNN's Arabic department but also with all the Arabic grammar books. The word order in a typical Arabic sentence is not the same as in English: the verb comes first and so a sentence in Arabic which literally says "Are shooting at us the Jews" means "The Jews are shooting at us".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yeah that'll do. Preemptive "please don't post memri translations" while I haul this to the dnd mod hive mind. I/we will probably note it in the OP soon.

also probably don't post memri articles unless you feel lucky or have a very good reason indeed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kalit posted:

I agree with this if it means all non-reputable twitter posts get a sixer in this thread, it's been ridiculous. And surprising, since this thread is supposed to have stricter rules

I'm going to raise this but it might not happen in the next 24h or whatever

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The parent nation-state doesn't necessarily have any particular connection to the actual colonial project. All the parent nation-state needs to do is create the conditions to allow colonization, by providing political and military support to prevent the natives from driving out the settlers. Settlers will happily flock to economically-productive land as long as there's no legal, economic, or military obstacles to doing so. While this is usually done for the direct profit of the parent nation-state (because this kind of support isn't cheap), it occasionally happens that a nation-state will provide free support to an ethnic or cultural group regarded as "friendly" in return for perceived indirect benefits in having a friendly presence in the region.

That said, the British mainly removed the legal and military obstacles. The removal of economic obstacles doesn't necessarily require nation-state involvement, and in this case it was the result of an ideological movement. Zionist organizations fundraised from well-off Jews in America and Western Europe, and used that money to pay for the transportation of poor Jews to Palestine, as well as their absorption into Jewish colonies upon arrival. Wealthy bankers who believed strongly in Zionism, like Baron Edmond James de Rothschild and Baron Maurice de Hirsch, established and heavily funded groups like the Jewish Colonization Association which bought up Palestinian land and subsidized migration to Palestine. Meanwhile, Zionist industrialists and engineers founded organizations like the Jewish National Fund that heavily engaged in fundraising among Jews worldwide, using Zionist rhetoric to gather donations which could be used to buy up land in Palestine and lease it to Jews. While the political and military obstacles were cleared by Britain, the financial support for establishing Jewish colonies in Palestine was drawn from the Zionist ideological movement.

It seems like you're mixing a few things up. Decolonial schools of thought describe things in terms of colonization or decolonization of gender, thought, culture, etc and it can be a very legitimate way of looking at things, but actual colonies are areas governed by a metropole that are not part of the metropole. Israel has no metropole. If you talk about Israel being a colony you have to be talking in a non-standard sense and a lot of theory that talks about colonies and decolonization isn't going to apply. A lot of decolonial stuff will still apply though.

Keep in mind that a bunch of zionists liked calling it a colony because colonies were cool then. It's like people calling things blockchains or "powered by AI". To a degree it was about branding.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

PT6A posted:

Except the Puritans who did migrate for explicitly ideological reasons.

true, but most colonists were not puritans past the early phases

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'm going to raise this but it might not happen in the next 24h or whatever

Please do. I'm happy to add supportive evidence of people sharing plenty of rando tweets with, at a minimum, misleading information if you need it. Regardless of it being anti-Palestine or anti-Israel. There's a couple off the top of my head that are flat out lies, but I will happily dig in further for more than that.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 2, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

NovemberMike posted:

It seems like you're mixing a few things up. Decolonial schools of thought describe things in terms of colonization or decolonization of gender, thought, culture, etc and it can be a very legitimate way of looking at things, but actual colonies are areas governed by a metropole that are not part of the metropole. Israel has no metropole. If you talk about Israel being a colony you have to be talking in a non-standard sense and a lot of theory that talks about colonies and decolonization isn't going to apply. A lot of decolonial stuff will still apply though.

Keep in mind that a bunch of zionists liked calling it a colony because colonies were cool then. It's like people calling things blockchains or "powered by AI". To a degree it was about branding.

It seems like you're really focused on one single definition of colonialism, and there's a really nice Wikipedia article that might clear up what we're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionism_as_settler_colonialism

Edit: Here is Patrick Wolfe's original paper on Settler-colonialism

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14623520601056240

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 2, 2023

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Noise Complaint posted:

It seems like you're really focused on one single definition of colonialism, and there's a really nice Wikipedia article that might clear up what we're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionism_as_settler_colonialism

Edit: Here is Patrick Wolfe's original paper on Settler-colonialism

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14623520601056240

That's what I'm talking about decolonial thought. He's not actually calling Israel a colony. You can double check the article, he never says those words. These things get pretty weird because the "experts" have chosen the dumbest way to word things if they thought clarity was valuable but knowledge around traditional colonialism doesn't really apply to Israel. It all gets even messier because the settlements in the West Bank are realistically kind of colonies.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

KillHour posted:

This is decidedly untrue. Palestine was a British colony after the breakup of the Ottoman empire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandatory_Palestine

They promised it to a bunch of different groups at different times for geopolitical leverage and the League of Nations eventually carved it up into Israel and Palestine to resolve the dispute.

if you look at the history of zionism, there were a few attempts to create a jewish homeland. this idea was in the atmosphere for a while before theodor herzl was even born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionism

I think some folks overestimate the impact of old great power politics and underestimate the autonomy of the jewish people. the fact they intersected was more circumstantial then intentional.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

NovemberMike posted:

That's what I'm talking about decolonial thought. He's not actually calling Israel a colony. You can double check the article, he never says those words. These things get pretty weird because the "experts" have chosen the dumbest way to word things if they thought clarity was valuable but knowledge around traditional colonialism doesn't really apply to Israel. It all gets even messier because the settlements in the West Bank are realistically kind of colonies.

Israel does not have to be a colony to be a state formed by settler-colonialism. I'm still unsure what you're even going at here besides dragging semantics out. Is your argument that Israel not a settler-colonial state?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

Zionists liked to call it a colony because they were colonizing it. As for the metropole, I covered that last page:

Main Paineframe posted:

Britain. While the colonists didn't all come from Britain, it was Britain who assumed political control over distant Palestine, sent colonial administrators to run it, and set policies that allowed large numbers of European immigrants to travel there. The fact that many of those immigrants weren't British, and that those immigrants didn't consider their settler-colonialism to be specifically British in nature, is largely irrelevant - the British are the ones who first put the colonial administration in place and created the conditions for mass immigration of settlers. After all, Israel is hardly the first colonial project to develop a cultural identity separate from that of the mother country and break the colonial ties. There were plenty of non-English folks in the Thirteen Colonies even before the American War of Independence.

While colonies start as areas under foreign government, it's not uncommon for them to attain some level of self-rule and independence, often under a new or reorganized local government. The Mandate of Palestine was a British colony, and the British facilitated an influx of Jewish colonists, then unilaterally withdrew their control and left the colonists to organize a new government with close ties to them (though not as close as the Dominions).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
So does the definition of "colony" you're wanting everyone to use require a metropole? No metropole, it can't be a colony?

And is this definition retroactive, if a colony becomes self-governing and therefore has no overseas metropole any longer, does that mean it was never a colony even if the people who founded it were deliberately creating a colony (at least, so they thought, since they wouldn't be able to see the future?)

Were the 13 American colonies actually colonies, or did the colonists just think they were because they didn't know they would become an independent self-governing country one day without a European metropole any longer?

Because if the answer to either of the questions in the first and second paragraphs is "no", then I don't see how "then where's Israel's metropole" is an argument that it wasn't colonized

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 2, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Believe it or not, Coup frontman and director Boots Riley has been on this. Riley is pretty political, having been an activist since he was 14 and being involved in Occupy Oakland, outreach for Bernie Sanders, and shouting out union actions, so I would trust his view on the matter, at least as a counterpoint.

He says the translation is accurate but the MEMRI piece is heavily edited to take things out of context. He goes over it in some detail in this thread.
https://x.com/BootsRiley/status/1719783509613789300?s=20
https://x.com/BootsRiley/status/1719845290146943442?s=20

He retweet his original thread with new information, after finding the unedited video.
https://x.com/BootsRiley/status/1719864481055211780?s=20
https://x.com/BootsRiley/status/1719866507419877437?s=20
https://x.com/BootsRiley/status/1719892163415453895?s=20

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Zionists liked to call it a colony because they were colonizing it. As for the metropole, I covered that last page:

While colonies start as areas under foreign government, it's not uncommon for them to attain some level of self-rule and independence, often under a new or reorganized local government. The Mandate of Palestine was a British colony, and the British facilitated an influx of Jewish colonists, then unilaterally withdrew their control and left the colonists to organize a new government with close ties to them (though not as close as the Dominions).

I guess I'll respond to the earlier post now.

quote:

Britain. While the colonists didn't all come from Britain, it was Britain who assumed political control over distant Palestine, sent colonial administrators to run it, and set policies that allowed large numbers of European immigrants to travel there. The fact that many of those immigrants weren't British, and that those immigrants didn't consider their settler-colonialism to be specifically British in nature, is largely irrelevant - the British are the ones who first put the colonial administration in place and created the conditions for mass immigration of settlers. After all, Israel is hardly the first colonial project to develop a cultural identity separate from that of the mother country and break the colonial ties. There were plenty of non-English folks in the Thirteen Colonies even before the American War of Independence.

This just isn't convincing. Much of the jewish immigration was against the wishes of the British, and the British were not on the Israeli side in the 1948 war. The Arab invasion was denounced by the Soviet Union and the British had officers embedded with the Arab armies to help them. When the Israeli state was created the assumption was that it was going to be a socialist state and it wasn't until it was flooded with Mizrahim refugees and the Ashkenazi decided to be all racist against them that this broke apart. It's kind of the opposite of what you're suggesting here, at least immediately after the creation of the state.

VitalSigns posted:

So does the definition of "colony" you're wanting everyone to use require a metropole? No metropole, it can't be a colony?

Yes. That is the common definition of a colony as the part of a state that is not part of the metropole.

quote:

And is this definition retroactive, if a colony becomes self-governing and therefore has no overseas metropole any longer, does that mean it was never a colony even if the people who founded it were deliberately creating a colony (at least, so they thought, since they wouldn't be able to see the future?)

Were the 13 American colonies actually colonies, or did the colonists just think they were because they didn't know they would become an independent self-governing country one day without a European metropole any longer?

Because if the answer to either of the questions in the first paragraph is "no", then I don't see how "then where's Israel's metropole" is an argument that it wasn't colonized

What the gently caress are you even talking about? A metropole doesn't need to be overseas, and there's nothing about anything being retroactive. Mandatory Palestine was of course a colony. League of Nations Mandates were supposed to be colonies that were being prepared for self-rule. The question is whether the state of Israel is a colony, which I would argue as no (outside the west bank) but it's not unreasonable to say that it has elements of settler colonialism.

NovemberMike fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 2, 2023

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Yeah that'll do. Preemptive "please don't post memri translations" while I haul this to the dnd mod hive mind. I/we will probably note it in the OP soon.

also probably don't post memri articles unless you feel lucky or have a very good reason indeed

So if we're not posting MEMRI articles, how is posting Boots Riley tweets going to be any different? What's the standard here: this guy is a self identified communist whose fame is a bunch of unknown films and rap titles, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boots_Riley

I'm all for a higher journalistic standard in this thread, but this is clearly targeted to one side.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

I guess I'll respond to the earlier post now.

This just isn't convincing. Much of the jewish immigration was against the wishes of the British, and the British were not on the Israeli side in the 1948 war. The Arab invasion was denounced by the Soviet Union and the British had officers embedded with the Arab armies to help them. When the Israeli state was created the assumption was that it was going to be a socialist state and it wasn't until it was flooded with Mizrahim refugees and the Ashkenazi decided to be all racist against them that this broke apart. It's kind of the opposite of what you're suggesting here, at least immediately after the creation of the state.

Yes. That is the common definition of a colony as the part of a state that is not part of the metropole.

What the gently caress are you even talking about? A metropole doesn't need to be overseas, and there's nothing about anything being retroactive. Mandatory Palestine was of course a colony. League of Nations Mandates were supposed to be colonies that were being prepared for self-rule. The question is whether the state of Israel is a colony, which I would argue as no (outside the west bank) but it's not unreasonable to say that it has elements of settler colonialism.

The British did, after a certain point, start to clamp down on Jewish immigration as they realized the massive influx of Zionists was destabilizing Mandatory Palestine. But if you want to claim that the Mandate of Palestine wasn't intended for Jewish colonization, then that's a little baffling. There's so much documentary evidence in support of it that it's a little difficult to pick out anything to argue. For simplicity's sake, rather than trying to pick apart two and a half decades of constantly-shifting British policy, I'll just go back to the original language of the actual Mandate for Palestine that officially established British control over the territory:

quote:

The Council of the League of Nations:

Whereas the Principal Allied Powers have agreed, for the purpose of giving effect to the provisions of Article 22 of the Covenant of the League of Nations, to entrust to a Mandatory selected by the said Powers the administration of the territory of Palestine, which formerly belonged to the Turkish Empire, within such boundaries as may be fixed by them; and

Whereas the Principal Allied Powers have also agreed that the Mandatory should be responsible for putting into effect the declaration originally made on November 2nd, 1917, by the Government of His Britannic Majesty, and adopted by the said Powers, in favour of the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, it being clearly understood that nothing should be done which might prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country; and

Whereas recognition has thereby been given to the historical connection of the Jewish people with Palestine and to the grounds for reconstituting their national home in that country; and

Whereas the Principal Allied Powers have selected His Britannic Majesty as the Mandatory for Palestine; and

Whereas the mandate in respect of Palestine has been formulated in the following terms and submitted to the Council of the League for approval; and

Whereas His Britannic Majesty has accepted the mandate in respect of Palestine and undertaken to exercise it on behalf of the League of Nations in conformity with the following provisions; and

Whereas by the afore-mentioned Article 22 (paragraph 8), it is provided that the degree of authority, control or administration to be exercised by the Mandatory, not having been previously agreed upon by the Members of the League, shall be explicitly defined by the Council of the League Of Nations;

confirming the said Mandate, defines its terms as follows:

Article 1.

The Mandatory shall have full powers of legislation and of administration, save as they may be limited by the terms of this mandate.

Article 2.

The Mandatory shall be responsible for placing the country under such political, administrative and economic conditions as will secure the establishment of the Jewish national home, as laid down in the preamble, and the development of self-governing institutions, and also for safeguarding the civil and religious rights of all the inhabitants of Palestine, irrespective of race and religion.

Article 3.

The Mandatory shall, so far as circumstances permit, encourage local autonomy.

Article 4.

An appropriate Jewish agency shall be recognised as a public body for the purpose of advising and co-operating with the Administration of Palestine in such economic, social and other matters as may affect the establishment of the Jewish national home and the interests of the Jewish population in Palestine, and, subject always to the control of the Administration, to assist and take part in the development of the country.

The Zionist organisation, so long as its organisation and constitution are in the opinion of the Mandatory appropriate, shall be recognised as such agency. It shall take steps in consultation with His Britannic Majesty's Government to secure the co-operation of all Jews who are willing to assist in the establishment of the Jewish national home.

Article 5.

The Mandatory shall be responsible for seeing that no Palestine territory shall be ceded or leased to, or in any way placed under the control of the Government of any foreign Power.

Article 6.

The Administration of Palestine, while ensuring that the rights and position of other sections of the population are not prejudiced, shall facilitate Jewish immigration under suitable conditions and shall encourage, in co-operation with the Jewish agency referred to in Article 4, close settlement by Jews on the land, including State lands and waste lands not required for public purposes.

Article 7.

The Administration of Palestine shall be responsible for enacting a nationality law. There shall be included in this law provisions framed so as to facilitate the acquisition of Palestinian citizenship by Jews who take up their permanent residence in Palestine.

Article 8.

The privileges and immunities of foreigners, including the benefits of consular jurisdiction and protection as formerly enjoyed by Capitulation or usage in the Ottoman Empire, shall not be applicable in Palestine.
Unless the Powers whose nationals enjoyed the afore-mentioned privileges and immunities on August 1st, 1914, shall have previously renounced the right to their re-establishment, or shall have agreed to their non-application for a specified period, these privileges and immunities shall, at the expiration of the mandate, be immediately reestablished in their entirety or with such modifications as may have been agreed upon between the Powers concerned.

Article 9.

The Mandatory shall be responsible for seeing that the judicial system established in Palestine shall assure to foreigners, as well as to natives, a complete guarantee of their rights.
Respect for the personal status of the various peoples and communities and for their religious interests shall be fully guaranteed. In particular, the control and administration of Wakfs shall be exercised in accordance with religious law and the dispositions of the founders.

Article 10.

Pending the making of special extradition agreements relating to Palestine, the extradition treaties in force between the Mandatory and other foreign Powers shall apply to Palestine.

Article 11.

The Administration of Palestine shall take all necessary measures to safeguard the interests of the community in connection with the development of the country, and, subject to any international obligations accepted by the Mandatory, shall have full power to provide for public ownership or control of any of the natural resources of the country or of the public works, services and utilities established or to be established therein. It shall introduce a land system appropriate to the needs of the country, having regard, among other things, to the desirability of promoting the close settlement and intensive cultivation of the land.

The Administration may arrange with the Jewish agency mentioned in Article 4 to construct or operate, upon fair and equitable terms, any public works, services and utilities, and to develop any of the natural resources of the country, in so far as these matters are not directly undertaken by the Administration. Any such arrangements shall provide that no profits distributed by such agency, directly or indirectly, shall exceed a reasonable rate of interest on the capital, and any further profits shall be utilised by it for the benefit of the country in a manner approved by the Administration.

I didn't quote the whole thing (there were 28 articles in total), but you can see pretty clearly that the Mandate was openly intended to facilitate Jewish colonization of the region from the very beginning. While it makes occasional noises about respecting the rights of the people who already live there.

As for the question of whether Israel is a colony or not, you are the one who raised that question in the first place, seemingly out of nowhere. Other people were talking about it being a "colonialist regime" or "colonial project", and you were the first one to raise the specific word "colony" in this conversation, seemingly in the belief that people calling it a "colonial project" meant that it was a current colony.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

VitalSigns posted:

It's only colonialism if it originates from the Coloniàel region of France. Otherwise it's just incidental ethnic cleansing.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The British did, after a certain point, start to clamp down on Jewish immigration as they realized the massive influx of Zionists was destabilizing Mandatory Palestine. But if you want to claim that the Mandate of Palestine wasn't intended for Jewish colonization, then that's a little baffling. There's so much documentary evidence in support of it that it's a little difficult to pick out anything to argue. For simplicity's sake, rather than trying to pick apart two and a half decades of constantly-shifting British policy, I'll just go back to the original language of the actual Mandate for Palestine that officially established British control over the territory:

I didn't quote the whole thing (there were 28 articles in total), but you can see pretty clearly that the Mandate was openly intended to facilitate Jewish colonization of the region from the very beginning. While it makes occasional noises about respecting the rights of the people who already live there.

My position this entire time was that there were elements of settler colonialism.

quote:

As for the question of whether Israel is a colony or not, you are the one who raised that question in the first place, seemingly out of nowhere. Other people were talking about it being a "colonialist regime" or "colonial project", and you were the first one to raise the specific word "colony" in this conversation, seemingly in the belief that people calling it a "colonial project" meant that it was a current colony.

It's not out of nowhere. My position in this is that Israel is a state that can be partially understood through a settler-colonial lens but that if you go too far with it it breaks pretty badly. With any other state that's strongly settler-colonial you can point to the colony bit. Sometimes it's a bit fuzzy, like how in America the frontier would slowly shift from colony to metropole but I can't think of any where it's totally nonsensical to talk about. I get the whole perspective where you talk about it as a structure rather than an event but I feel like if you're doing that you have to accept how that weakens the arguments you can make.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

NovemberMike posted:

My position this entire time was that there were elements of settler colonialism.

It's not out of nowhere. My position in this is that Israel is a state that can be partially understood through a settler-colonial lens but that if you go too far with it it breaks pretty badly. With any other state that's strongly settler-colonial you can point to the colony bit. Sometimes it's a bit fuzzy, like how in America the frontier would slowly shift from colony to metropole but I can't think of any where it's totally nonsensical to talk about. I get the whole perspective where you talk about it as a structure rather than an event but I feel like if you're doing that you have to accept how that weakens the arguments you can make.

It's actually exactly like the American West. the West Bank is the colony and Israel has become the metropole.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 5, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
It doesn't seem like you actually disagree with anyone you're arguing with, they're talking about the founding of Israel being a colonial project and best I can tell you're talking about whether Tel Aviv is ruled from a foreign capitol today (obviously it isn't).

Like someone talking about the history of Massachusetts Bay Colony as a colonial project and you're objecting that it has a different name today and is part of a self-governing metropole so it can't be a currently operating colony in 2023. True but irrelevant to the historical discussion of its creation and settlement by Europeans.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

It's actually exactly like the American West. the West Bank is the colony and Israel has become the metropole.

I've literally said that the West Bank is an example of settler-colonialism by Israel. Why do people keep thinking I'm arguing that Israel doesn't at least have aspects that are clearly settler-colonialism.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

It doesn't seem like you actually disagree with anyone you're arguing with, they're talking about the founding of Israel being a colonial project and best I can tell you're talking about whether Tel Aviv is ruled from a foreign capitol today (obviously it isn't).

It looks like you missed the initial claim that Israel was *and is now* a colonial project, which is what started this whole "colony of what country?" settler-colonialism/colonialism discussion.

Here it is:

Noise Complaint posted:

What I argued is that Israel as a state was a colonial project first and foremost and still is to this day.

You are right, however, that nobody seems to actually disagree with NovemberMike, it's just a circle of confusion.

I think if Noise Complaint had said settler-colonial it wouldn't have sparked this.

Hopefully that helps end the confusion.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Google Jeb Bush posted:

it's explicitly an Israeli op

quote:

Evidence from Memri's website also casts doubt on its non-partisan status. Besides supporting liberal democracy, civil society, and the free market, the institute also emphasises "the continuing relevance of Zionism to the Jewish people and to the state of Israel".

That is what its website used to say, but the words about Zionism have now been deleted. The original page, however, can still be found in internet archives.

The reason for Memri's air of secrecy becomes clearer when we look at the people behind it. The co-founder and president of Memri, and the registered owner of its website, is an Israeli called Yigal Carmon.

Mr - or rather, Colonel - Carmon spent 22 years in Israeli military intelligence and later served as counter-terrorism adviser to two Israeli prime ministers, Yitzhak Shamir and Yitzhak Rabin.

Retrieving another now-deleted page from the archives of Memri's website also throws up a list of its staff. Of the six people named, three - including Col Carmon - are described as having worked for Israeli intelligence.

Among the other three, one served in the Israeli army's Northern Command Ordnance Corps, one has an academic background, and the sixth is a former stand-up comedian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/aug/12/worlddispatch.brianwhitaker

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It looks like you missed the initial claim that Israel was *and is now* a colonial project, which is what started this whole "colony of what country?" settler-colonialism/colonialism discussion.

Here it is:

You are right, however, that nobody seems to actually disagree with NovemberMike, it's just a circle of confusion.

Hopefully that helps end the confusion.
Ah thank you, you're right there is confusion but i think you're not quite right about exactly what. "Colonial project" is different from "colony"

A country can carry out colonization within its own borders. It doesn't have to itself be ruled from an external metropole
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_colonialism

Asking where Tel Aviv's Governor General is and what European country appoints Israel's government misses the op's point, I think.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Ah thank you, you're right there is confusion but i think you're not quite right about exactly what. "Colonial project" is different from "colony"

Agreed, but I think that is how it was read.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

i fly airplanes posted:

So if we're not posting MEMRI articles, how is posting Boots Riley tweets going to be any different? What's the standard here: this guy is a self identified communist whose fame is a bunch of unknown films and rap titles, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boots_Riley

I'm all for a higher journalistic standard in this thread, but this is clearly targeted to one side.

memri had clear examples posted of them flat-out lying, and then lying about lying, aswell as hiding that they're an Israeli intelligence operation. unless you have something that says/proves Boots lies about poo poo too, i think that's how it's different

just for info: Boots Riley is infact a very well known dude with a long list of credentials as a political activist, hes been interviewed by several major publications when i just checked: nyt, and in the last year, npr, vogue. gq, rolling stone.
here's a picture of him with globally known artist and activist Tupac Shakur aswell as E-40, another hiphop legend, who were/are respectively his personal friends ( boots on left)

def m not some random twitter guy, he's been an established figure since the early 90s, is not a state or corporate actor and as far as I know, has an unblemished reputation politically and otherwise

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FirstnameLastname posted:

memri had clear examples posted of them flat-out lying, and then lying about lying, aswell as hiding that they're an Israeli intelligence operation. unless you have something that says/proves Boots lies about poo poo too, i think that's how it's different

just for info: Boots Riley is infact a very well known dude with a long list of credentials as a political activist, hes been interviewed by several major publications when i just checked: nyt, and in the last year, npr, vogue. gq, rolling stone.
here's a picture of him with globally known artist and activist Tupac Shakur aswell as E-40, another hiphop legend, who were/are respectively his personal friends ( boots on left)

def m not some random twitter guy, he's been an established figure since the early 90s, is not a state or corporate actor and as far as I know, has an unblemished reputation politically and otherwise

If he doesn't speak Arabic, I don't think his creative and political achievements are relevant to the topic at hand.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i dont believe boots would lie to me

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

mannerup posted:

what does that have to do with Boots Riley knowing Arabic and being able to show the veracity of the translation of the source material that MEMRI used? Nobody doubts his activist bona fides, but it's not exactly relevant to the question being asked. It would be the same as citing Tom Morello.

He's not translating it? Nobody said he was.
He's saying memri is full of poo poo, and cites a translation from someone else. They were asking why someone who didn't appear to be notable or known to them was any more credible

All I'm doing is giving some detail on how he's a well established figure with a good reputation and not a noname twitter rando or politic-fakestuff-guy or rival intelligence operation to memri or whatever. They were asking why citing his post on memri was any different from posting memri: i was saying why & gave details just for people who dont know who he is since he's a regional westcoast figure mostly

I can't say how correct what he's posting is, and he could be totally wrong, all i meant was it's unlikely he's deceiving people intentionally ala memri & has a real reputation to lose if he were

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

I certainly hope that people aren't defending the same Memri that produced the above translations of Arabic speakers and which is so well known for producing awful translations that it has literally become a meme lol

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/memri-tv