Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So this seems like good info and also that guy has a whole bunch of tweets about how the United States is run by the Jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The gently caress, cringe lords.

Garbage samurai rule wtf is this computer toucher bullshit, go pick up some trash

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Garbage samurai rule wtf is this computer toucher bullshit, go pick up some trash

go install some loving trash cans instead of this performance art pretending to be a public service. typical lib brain poo poo, look we have cool cosplay bullshit instead of actually investing in public services.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Nov 2, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah the volunteer organization will get right on that dumbass

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

stephenthinkpad posted:

The telephone fraud is a big problem in Northern Myanmar. They used to blanket call everyone in China and try to scam people into wiring some money "to an old friend", or some Nigerian prince scams to the fools.

But recently they have been escalated to kidnapping, so they will offer you some big money for a fancy rear end job in Thailand or Cambodia and then grab you over. And then you have to make endless fraud phone calls to make enough money to buy yourself out or get your family to pay for you. Both mainlanders and Taiwanese are targeted.

I wouldn't be surprised if this offensive campaign was footed by China to get the couple of the China-friendly separatist states to attack the region that has the most organized telephone scams, which is more of a western friendly separatist state. I used to remember all the names of the northern breakaway states, but they sound so similar I can't tell anymore.

the SECRET POLICE STATIONS are actually there to nab overseas phone scammers since Interpol is pro-scamming China. frankly I think it’s Good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Let people have fun

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/9DashLine/status/1719526671022260644

Gamemaster Marcos: bring it in, guys!

*all the colonizers of Asia come in for a HUGE freedom of navigation patrol*

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/9DashLine/status/1719526671022260644

Gamemaster Marcos: bring it in, guys!

*all the colonizers of Asia come in for a HUGE freedom of navigation patrol*

wow, they're sending 1/5th of their navy

e: 1/4 if they're sending a patrol boat and not a frigate

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Pretty good odds for my cousin being on that boat.

I just love my government doing stupid poo poo.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
imagining the Dutch warship as a giant overturned clog

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Wearing kimonos in japan? How horrifying!

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

GlassEye-Boy posted:

go install some loving trash cans instead of this performance art pretending to be a public service. typical lib brain poo poo, look we have cool cosplay bullshit instead of actually investing in public services.

I think the garbage samurai are volunteers, and Japan's lack of public trash cans won't be solved by guerrilla can installation. It's a conscious choice by the government as a response to the sarin attacks in the 90s.

Is that kinda dumb? Maybe

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Telluric Whistler posted:

I think the garbage samurai are volunteers, and Japan's lack of public trash cans won't be solved by guerrilla can installation. It's a conscious choice by the government as a response to the sarin attacks in the 90s.

lmao as if people didn't kept warning about aum shinrikyo to the govt before the attack

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I think its just the Japanese have their way of life and get confronted with different life styles from the influx of tourists and foreign workers. It's no big deal whether they accept the outsider life styles or not. It's a non-news.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The foreign garbage picking samurai will never fully be accepted into the ancient Japanese way of life.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I thought the japanese had a tradition of picking garbage?

I know that in every world cup, if Japan is playing, brazilan newspapers will publish an article about how clean and civilized japanese fans are and how they clean their own garbage in the stadium after the game

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
finally got around to watching the new mearshimer and he was speaking in australia for some reason!?!

crepeface posted:

it's funny that mearshimer is one of the most clear eyed american geopolitical speaker with any renown but he's still got hamburger brain. here, he's speaking at an australian think tank and in the opening he casually attributes australia's modern prosperity as a consequence of US unipolar hegemony rather than being brought up in the wake of china's rise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62FCVJycwSA

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I thought the japanese had a tradition of picking garbage?

I know that in every world cup, if Japan is playing, brazilan newspapers will publish an article about how clean and civilized japanese fans are and how they clean their own garbage in the stadium after the game

Yeah, Japan basically has no public waste bins and everyone takes their garbage home. Weirdly works.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

genericnick posted:

Yeah, Japan basically has no public waste bins and everyone takes their garbage home. Weirdly works.
the system's breaking down

Japan tries 'nudge theory' in bid to curtail littering by tourists

www.japantimes.co.jp posted:

The Environment Ministry is turning to "nudge theory," a behavioral science concept, as it aims for lighthearted ways to fight littering by tourists at sightseeing spots across the country.

The ministry, which is planning to include funding for the plan in a fiscal 2023 supplementary budget, is considering several measures such as setting up trash cans featuring popular characters.

Littering and other problems related to overtourism are worsening in popular destinations, including Kyoto and the city of Kamakura in Kanagawa Prefecture.

According to the ministry, 1,080 municipalities, or 62% of all cities, wards, towns and villages in Japan, have ordinances against overtourism, such as fining people who are caught littering.
However, there is criticism that such measures are not effective enough due to a lack of street patrols and other factors.

In response, the ministry will select municipalities that face garbage-related issues involving tourists to implement measures based on nudge theory in an effort to prompt people to dispose of their garbage properly.

One such measure involves setting up trash cans featuring popular characters and encouraging tourists to search for them. Another idea involves trash cans that play music or issue coupons when used.

The ministry is also considering encouraging food to be served on reusable tableware to prevent waste when people eat while walking. The ministry is thinking about implementing such measures at national parks.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Yeah that sort of "obey the rules!!" stuff only works if there is no garbage to begin with.
Usually no one wants to be the first to litter.

However, if there is already trash it becomes a free for all. So, once there's already garbage on the ground or stacked on top of the vending machine garbage encompasses then quickly overwhelms that particular place. lmao
There is also the weird but related phenomenon where someone dumps garbage that can't be easily removed because it is large and costs money to dispose (say a broken microwave) that sort of place often becomes a communal dumping ground until it's a huge mound of assorted garbage from discarded mp3 players to bike tires.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently they're willing to do literally anything but just place more garbage bins.

Didn't NYC only just this year start using dumpsters or something other than just placing loose bags on the street?

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

The podcast If Books Could Kill did a double episode on just how unscientific and useless Nudge theory is.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nudge-part-1-a-simple-solution-for-littering-organ/id1651876897?i=1000611711937

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello Asia thread, I need Indian racism help. I heard some hot goss about our toddler's cousin's friend cohort of rich people. The light skinned indian couple had an arranged marriage, they have rich people married problems that reaches my ear a whole state away, and I learn today they got a pre-nup and I'm like... that doesn't make sense, what responsible parents would agree to marry off their daughter to similar class known man-child with a prenup? What? I'm not Indian, is this like an Indian thing or is this a white people 2nd/3rd generation Indian thing?

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently they're willing to do literally anything but just place more garbage bins.

Didn't NYC only just this year start using dumpsters or something other than just placing loose bags on the street?

nope it's still loose bags on the street but you can't put it out til 8pm instead of 4pm. that does nothing but make me miss garbage pickup on Fridays cause I go out before 8pm and get back and it's already been picked up at 1am

that's for a saturday pickup too, I know midnight saturday technically counts but gimme some time guys

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

KirbyKhan posted:

Hello Asia thread, I need Indian racism help. I heard some hot goss about our toddler's cousin's friend cohort of rich people. The light skinned indian couple had an arranged marriage, they have rich people married problems that reaches my ear a whole state away, and I learn today they got a pre-nup and I'm like... that doesn't make sense, what responsible parents would agree to marry off their daughter to similar class known man-child with a prenup? What? I'm not Indian, is this like an Indian thing or is this a white people 2nd/3rd generation Indian thing?

mind your own business.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

mind your own business.

never

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's a sign their marriage isn't serious and she wants you to gently caress her

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Votskomit posted:

The podcast If Books Could Kill did a double episode on just how unscientific and useless Nudge theory is.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nudge-part-1-a-simple-solution-for-littering-organ/id1651876897?i=1000611711937

you should post it at this guy an see what he says
https://twitter.com/CassSunstein/status/1717506575600898340?s=20

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Let's be clear, it should be the Japanese city and municipal governments putting in trash cans. Volunteers can do whatever they want, however cringe and targeted for social media attention it may be.

genericnick posted:

Sure could work if your a resident with a home that's within a convenient distance, but if your a tourist or traveling for business where are you going to go? Of course the xenophobes will blame tourist when they've done nothing to address the root cause.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 15:31 on Nov 2, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Palladium posted:

lmao as if people didn't kept warning about aum shinrikyo to the govt before the attack

fwiw for you amerilords out there i believe you're allowed to donate to them again as of 2022

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Let's be clear, it should be the Japanese city and municipal governments putting in trash cans. Volunteers can do whatever they want, however cringe and targeted for social media attention it may be.

Dude I pick up trash on my street regularly with no social media attention and dressing up for it would be fun. Let people enjoy themselves sometimes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

KirbyKhan posted:

:razz:

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/nypostopinion/status/1719911634137706935?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xi Van Fleet

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

mawarannahr posted:

Xi Van Fleet

the Dutch warship has been captured

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

pictured, a member of the van fleet

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the more relevant thing NYC did was years ago experiment with not having trash bins in pilot subway stations, in an attempt to prevent littering, especially on train tracks. Sincerely their logic was "well, it works in japan!"

It was a disaster. More litter in the tracks, and people were just shoving garbage in any crevice and space on the platform, or just leaving it on the platform itself.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

don’t threaten me with a good time

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Sure could work if your a resident with a home that's within a convenient distance, but if your a tourist or traveling for business where are you going to go? Of course the xenophobes will blame tourist when they've done nothing to address the root cause.

I mean, what's the scenario here? What kind of garbage are you producing that you couldn't in the worst case carry back to wherever you sleep at night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

mawarannahr posted:

pictured, a member of the van fleet

need the context on this one or is it a joke can't tell :confused: