Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

seems like test2treat does want your actual real life identity. I originally registered under a fake name and uninsured and then they asked me for photo ID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

corona familiar posted:

seems like test2treat does want your actual real life identity. I originally registered under a fake name and uninsured and then they asked me for photo ID

i mean it's a prescription. unfortunately there are still some weird laws and regulations out there

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i mean it's a prescription. unfortunately there are still some weird laws and regulations out there

yeah, it occurred to me after the fact that this was different than getting boosters :doh:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Boy of Joy posted:

Went to Kaiser for an appointment today and they are requiring masks through til next March apparently. Pleasantly surprised to hear that, I thought Covid was over!
:thunk:

I went today, didn't see anyone checking masks and the doctor wasnt wearing one

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Just COVID things: structuring transactions at the store so I can flip the clerk the bird and walk away if they give me any guff.

Evergreen advice:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I went today, didn't see anyone checking masks and the doctor wasnt wearing one

I went yesterday and everyone was masking in the seattle - capitol hill location - for the workers at least anyway. didnt see any signs though.

meanwhile when I went to urgent care last week it was like 50/50 people masking in the waiting area and basically any time a doc or tech interacted with me if they didnt have one they put one on so there seemed to be some kind of at least level of "if the patient is masking you should mask" maybe

I managed to not get got after 7 hours floating around for all kinds of imaging and tests.

Im gonna have to get a full guts viewing here soon. endo and colonoscopy so hopefully I can keep up my good luck.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health (WADoH), Biobot, and WastewaterSCAN (WWS).

White diamond dots are from most recent CDC/NWSS data scaled to supplement missing or out-dated data when available.

Because these groups use different methods, and especially because Biobot data may be multiple sites combined within a county, the concentration of virus copies per mL of water is not comparable between two different locations.

There are 33 sewersheds distributed across 6 charts grouped by approximate geographical region then alphabetized by county. The tables below contain WADoH or NWSS/WSS IDs (to match their respective dashboards), Date last sampled, Trend (based on the change between the averages of the two most recent weeks), and Service Area for city names and regions if known.

All data presented are smoothed to even out inconsistent sampling dates and extreme highs and lows. Most sewersheds are sampled 1-3 times a week and are published within a week. Some locations are late reporting by 10 days or more so be sure to note your sewershed's Date the table or graph. Locations that are more than two weeks old will have n/a listed under Trend to indicate there is not enough data or it is out of date.

Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.

Northwest Washington

pre:
Northwest Washington
County:		WADoH:	NWSS:	Date:	Trend:	Service Area:
Island		COUP	n/a	Oct-20	DOWN	Coupeville
Island		OH	2105	Oct-27	STEADY	Oak Harbor
Jefferson	PT	1399	Oct-25	DOWN	Port Townsend
Mason		n/a	n/a	Oct-25	DOWN	Rustlewood, Shelton?
Skagit		n/a	2424	Oct-26	STEADY	Anacortes?
Skagit		n/a	2445	Oct-26	DOWN	Mount Vernon?
Whatcom		LYN	2124	Oct-26	UP	Lynden
Snohomish

pre:
Snohomish
Snohomish	ARL	2414	Oct-26	UP	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	2444	Oct-25	DOWN	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	679	Oct-18	n/a	Stanwood
Snohomish	n/a	2457	Oct-26	n/a	Snohomish
King + Snohomish

pre:
King + Snohomish
King		BWT	676	Oct-25	DOWN	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	2419	Oct-25	DOWN	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	2420	Oct-24	DOWN	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Snohomish	APP	661	Oct-26	UP	Lynnwood
Southwest Washington

pre:
Southwest Washington
Clark		MRPK	2438	Oct-25	UP	Vancouver
Clark		n/a	351	Oct-26	STEADY	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS	2439	Oct-28	STEADY	Vancouver Westside
Lewis		n/a	n/a	Oct-25	UP	Chehalis?
Pierce		CC	1397	Oct-27	STEADY	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY	1143	Oct-26	DOWN	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT	1757	Oct-25	DOWN	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		WRCH	755	Oct-26	STEADY	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	1076	Oct-26	DOWN	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	1398	Oct-18	n/a	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	2104	Oct-19	DOWN	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	n/a	Oct-19	STEADY	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	1635	Oct-26	DOWN	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	753	Oct-27	DOWN	Pasco
Spokane		RP	759	Oct-26	UP	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	760	Oct-27	STEADY	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	1620	Oct-26	DOWN	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	1512	Oct-27	STEADY	Pullman

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

silicone thrills posted:

I managed to not get got after 7 hours floating around for all kinds of imaging and tests.

Wuu!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Zantie posted:

Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health ....

Just checked the colorado update, all indicators (that they still publish) are still heading up. Been almost a straight line rise since the beginning of july.

Sentinel lab positivity rate is up to 16% now, which is the highest I think I've ever seen.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Im gonna have to get a full guts viewing here soon. endo and colonoscopy so hopefully I can keep up my good luck.

According to https://kingcounty.gov/en/dept/dph/health-safety/disease-illness/facts-and-data/respiratory-virus-data we're solidly out of the wave in western WA so great time to get all that health poo poo taken care of.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I've been neglecting getting my shot due to stress and anxiety, so I'm going to call around to find a dealer who utilizes the bridge program tomorrow.

It's a lovely feeling having supposed loved ones taking no precautions at all. What used to be my favorite season and string of holidays has turned into a lonely anxiety ridden hellscape.

Also getting dates is ultra hard now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
negotiated with my mom about whether I’ll come to thanksgiving this year after I said I wasn’t coming. she is ok if I eat outside on the patio and mask indoors.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Anyone got a good website for tracking real covid numbers in Australia?https://www.health.gov.au/topics/covid-19/weekly-reporting shows nothing is going on but there are news articles popping up in Australian media that there is a wave kicking off everywhere, they're seeing it in 'the data'.

I used to check googles data, then the above, to stay ahead and know when to implement my extra precautions but now it's fuckin dogshit, also they're switching to monthly data refreshes lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

negotiated with my mom about whether I’ll come to thanksgiving this year after I said I wasn’t coming. she is ok if I eat outside on the patio and mask indoors.

Take notes, folks. This is how you avoid getting owned by a wild sister‐in‐law.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Bald Stalin posted:

Anyone got a good website for tracking real covid numbers in Australia?https://www.health.gov.au/topics/covid-19/weekly-reporting shows nothing is going on but there are news articles popping up in Australian media that there is a wave kicking off everywhere, they're seeing it in 'the data'.

I used to check googles data, then the above, to stay ahead and know when to implement my extra precautions but now it's fuckin dogshit, also they're switching to monthly data refreshes lol

https://twitter.com/dbRaevn

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Platystemon posted:

He reposted it here, presumably after fixing some issue.

i loving love that home depot is selling their half-face respirator as "face cover"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bald Stalin posted:

There is currently no way to track real covid numbers in Australia. They stopped including positive RAT tests in the Australian case numbers a while ago and you currently need to get a referral from your GP to get a PCR so testing & reporting are only a tiny fraction of what they used to be and a much less reliable indicator of 'real' case numbers. The best we can do is look at hospitalization numbers and work backwards from there, and the best source for that is this Twitter feed:

But note that each Australian state has a different criteria for what counts as a covid hospitalization and some of them have weakened the criteria even further in recent months so that's not even as accurate an indicator as it used to be.

But on top of that Australia just went from weekly data updates to monthly data updates so there'll be some data next week but the next update after that will be :shrug:. Perfect timing, just as wave #8 is really starting to kick off!

That Twitter feed might be able to cobble together some weekly data from other sources or maybe not, we'll just have to wait and see.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Well this is fuckin bullshit

Ta

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

yeah it sucks but you will always be a few weeks ahead of the media noticing a new wave if you follow them

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A correction: some states/territories still allow positive RATs to be reported. Note that Vic/NSW/Qld don't report RATs and they have ~80% of of the country's population so this is pretty pointless
https://twitter.com/dbRaevn/status/1715282677396607147

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeh this may be what finally gets me to create a Twitter account

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bald Stalin posted:

I'm in the exact same boat, I finally broke and created a Twitter account solely so I could read that one account. Since I never post anything the algorithm is convinced I'm a bot and regularly makes me perform "I am not a robot" tests, lol

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://bsky.app/profile/dbraevn.bsky.social

they're on bsky too

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah there's been an extremely dependable pattern here, for basically all the waves since 2022

-my boss is like "hm be careful, covid's around"

-which means that last week the media was reporting "covid increasing"

-which means we're actually already at peak hospitalisations

-which means peak cases (which no one measures anymore) were 2-4 weeks ago

-which means we're like a month+ out from everyone at work being like "huh everyone seems to be getting sick"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Bald Stalin posted:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm in the exact same boat, I finally broke and created a Twitter account solely so I could read that one account. Since I never post anything the algorithm is convinced I'm a bot and regularly makes me perform "I am not a robot" tests, lol

Alternatively, you can use nitter: https://nitter.net/dbRaevn

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I just don’t understand what this is meant to prevent. I guess the goal here is that people can’t blend in with the masses of masked people, so you’ll have a clear shot of their face to show to the police after they shoplift, so that the police will go and catch them. There are a couple pretty obvious problems with that plan that make me think this doesn’t actually solve a problem

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Pingui posted:

Alternatively, you can use nitter: https://nitter.net/dbRaevn

Tyvm!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I think it's literally just people not wanting folks to wear masks and maybe weird manager/landlord propaganda about thieves in masks or something. It definitely seems like a manufactured concern.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Real Mean Queen posted:

I just don’t understand what this is meant to prevent. I guess the goal here is that people can’t blend in with the masses of masked people, so you’ll have a clear shot of their face to show to the police after they shoplift, so that the police will go and catch them. There are a couple pretty obvious problems with that plan that make me think this doesn’t actually solve a problem

They hate they clientele and wish for them to die.

P.S.: Check the date if you have not.

e: Here’s one from April 2020:

URL is fucky. So sue me if it doesn’t hotlink.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:12 on Nov 2, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\ oh lol

Real Mean Queen posted:

much like the periodic thread drama brigades, the impulse is to silence and flatten difference. literally to normalize going back into the store without masks.

why this particular type of thing keeps happening is pretty bizarre to me too. my whole life the only thing we really tried to normalize in public was being fully clothed and civil.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"SARS-CoV-2 infection leads to sustained testicular injury and functional impairments in K18 hACE2 mice"

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.10.31.565042v1 posted:

Abstract
Compromised male reproductive health is one of the symptoms of long COVID with a decrease in male fertility markers including testosterone levels and sperm count for months in recovering patients. However, the long-term impact of SARS-CoV-2 infection on testicular injury and underlying mechanisms remains unknown. We previously demonstrated a disrupted tissue architecture with no evidence of virus replication in the testis during the acute stage of the disease in K18-hACE2 mice. Here, we systematically delineate the consequences of SARS-CoV-2 infection on the testis injury and function both during the acute stage of the disease and up to 4 weeks after recovery in survivor K18-hACE2 mice. The gross morphological defects included sloughing of healthy spermatids and spermatocytes into the lumen, lack of lumen, and increase in apoptotic cells that sustained for at least 2 weeks after infection. Testis injury correlated with systemic and testicular inflammation, and infiltration of immune cells in the interstitial space and seminiferous tubules. Transcriptomic analysis identified dysregulation of key pathways associated with testicular immune homeostasis, spermatogenesis, and cell death at the symptomatic stage and immediately after recovery. Further, a significant reduction in testosterone levels was associated with transient reduction in sperm count and mouse fertility. Most of the testicular impairments except testosterone levels were resolved within 4 weeks, which is almost one spermatogenesis cycle in mice. These findings provide much-needed mechanistic insights beyond our current understanding of testicular pathogenesis, suggesting that recovering COVID-19 patients should be closely monitored to rescue the pathophysiological effects on male reproductive health.

:hmmrona: stored in the balls.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Real Mean Queen posted:

They are afraid of masked criminals doing criminal activities in their storefront. banks had a similar rule long before covid.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Platystemon posted:

They hate they clientele and wish for them to die.

P.S.: Check the date if you have not.

e: Here’s one from April 2020:

URL is fucky. So sue me if it doesn’t hotlink.

I caught the date after posting, and that involves a whole different set of incredulous questions. In either case and also with the mask tipping I’m like “it’s 202X, why are you expecting a cop to show up and look at your full-face video still of a guy stealing some doritos and a case of beer and then leap into action”

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Exasperated article calling out the anti-mask RCT bullshit:
"Masks During Pandemics Caused by Respiratory Pathogens—Evidence and Implications for Action"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2811136 posted:

Key Points
Question During the COVID-19 pandemic, what has been learned about whether face mask use is associated with lower transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in community settings, and how has it been learned?

Findings Literature review revealed many high-quality observational studies demonstrating the association of face mask use in the community and of mask mandates with reduced spread of SARS-CoV-2. Randomized clinical trials conducted during the pandemic provide limited information.

Meaning Robust available data support the use of face masks in community settings to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and should inform future responses to epidemics and pandemics caused by respiratory viruses.

Abstract
Importance As demonstrated by the influenza virus and SARS-CoV-2, viruses spread by the respiratory route can cause deadly pandemics, and face masks can reduce the spread of these pathogens. The effectiveness of responses to future epidemics and pandemics will depend at least in part on whether evidence on masks, including from the COVID-19 pandemic, is utilized.

Observations Well-designed observational studies have demonstrated the association of mask use with reduced transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in community settings, and rigorous evaluations of mask mandates have found substantial protection. Disagreement about whether face masks reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2 has been exacerbated by a focus on randomized trials, which are limited in number, scope, and statistical power. Many effective public health policies have never been assessed in randomized clinical trials; such trials are not the gold standard of evidence for the efficacy of all interventions. Masking in the community to reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2 is supported by robust evidence from diverse settings and populations. Data on the epidemiologic, environmental, and mask design parameters that influence the effectiveness of masking provide insights on when and how masks should be used to prevent transmission.

Conclusions and Relevance During the next epidemic or pandemic caused by a respiratory pathogen, decision-makers will need to rely on existing evidence as they implement interventions. High-quality studies have shown that use of face masks in the community is associated with reduced transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and is likely to be an important component of an effective response to a future respiratory threat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Top G posted:

They are afraid of masked criminals doing criminal activities in their storefront. banks had a similar rule long before covid.

Post on your main.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
hi i am hosed did i miss anything crucially important (would update treatingcovid.info) in last 1000 posts

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Steve Yun posted:

Not to provide advice, just anecdata, is that my extended family has been told that if they want the kids and grandkids to eat inside they all need to mask everywhere for the 10 days prior to the visit. I've volunteered use of my Cue device for the homeowners to use while everyone else waits in the car.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Article showing 9 long COVID associated and plasma accessible biomarkers of complement dysregulation, of which a mere 4 can successfully diagnose long COVID with 78.5% accuracy:
"Complement dysregulation is a predictive and therapeutically amenable feature of long COVID"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.10.26.23297597v1 posted:

ABSTRACT
Background Long COVID encompasses a heterogeneous set of ongoing symptoms that affect many individuals after recovery from infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The underlying biological mechanisms nonetheless remain obscure, precluding accurate diagnosis and effective intervention. Complement dysregulation is a hallmark of acute COVID-19 but has not been investigated as a potential determinant of long COVID.

Methods We quantified a series of complement proteins, including markers of activation and regulation, in plasma samples from healthy convalescent individuals with a confirmed history of infection with SARS-CoV-2 and age/ethnicity/gender/infection/vaccine-matched patients with long COVID.

Findings Markers of classical (C1s-C1INH complex), alternative (Ba, iC3b), and terminal pathway (C5a, TCC) activation were significantly elevated in patients with long COVID. These markers in combination had a receiver operating characteristic predictive power of 0.794. Other complement proteins and regulators were also quantitatively different between healthy convalescent individuals and patients with long COVID. Generalized linear modeling further revealed that a clinically tractable combination of just four of these markers, namely the activation fragments iC3b, TCC, Ba, and C5a, had a predictive power of 0.785.

Conclusions These findings suggest that complement biomarkers could facilitate the diagnosis of long COVID and further suggest that currently available inhibitors of complement activation could be used to treat long COVID.

It goes without saying - but I am going to say it anyways - that when research like this is conducted, the cohort is refined to increase the likelihood of positive signal. In this case the long COVID+ cohort and long COVID- control both had at least one severe COVID infection. It is therefore impossible to determine if the accuracy only applies when long COVID is a consequence of hospitalization. Either way more biomarkers are always welcome.

News article on the matter:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Petey posted:

hi i am hosed did i miss anything crucially important (would update treatingcovid.info) in last 1000 posts

Not as far as I can tell (going through my own timeline from your last post itt) :)

At least not insofar as updating treatingcovid.info is concerned.

Edit: That said, there is some really interesting stuff which you shouldn't miss. The EPA Corsi-Rosenthal box test for example.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:31 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

The Top G posted:

hey look its the guy who sells the baby formula encasements