Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea I’m coding. Coding this meal on my expense report because I’m management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gently caress I do need to put in my expense report

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I have one for a few thousand bucks I need to do and I know I’m going to get yelled at cause I used a hotel that was $350/night

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The thing I hated most about the "IT does everything" bullshit was mounting TVs. My new job actually respects my time.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

GreenNight posted:

The thing I hated most about the "IT does everything" bullshit was mounting TVs. My new job actually respects my time.

I honestly never minded stuff like that when I did desktop support. Broke up the monotony a little bit and would usually get to bullshit with coworkers who helped me. We never had to worry about drilling into the wall or running cable thank goodness. Just lift the TV, make sure the HDMI cable worked and boom there goes 3 hours lol

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

FISHMANPET posted:

Go deeper, start writing modules to interact with those APIs.

greetings fellow masochist

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

i am a moron posted:

I have one for a few thousand bucks I need to do and I know I’m going to get yelled at cause I used a hotel that was $350/night

We get like 10-20 hotels with auto-approve on in our functional but hideously old expense system, and I make a point of always picking the second or third most expensive (proximity depending). I long for the confidence of the person who picks the most expensive hotel every time.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!
$2400 was cheap to get us the follow-on work, now approve the expenses

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
In fairness it was by far the closest hotel to the client site - I think by like 15 or 20 miles. Flying in and having to do meetings same day gives very little room for error. But it was also $200/night more expensive than the next cheapest one. I just book all my own poo poo directly, I think I can use concur but I don’t have to. It’s weird. At least I can bill this to a project.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Concur is poo poo that's my take on that

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
rewatching pantheon, I think IT nerds would like it. Click on my avatar text for more

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

kensei posted:

We had a TI-99/4A with cassette drive. I would start the game load, go mow the lawn and come back when it was loaded. Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EQw3fB3aNI

Oh poo poo! I had the same one! OLD CS1 ftw

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I found out that our piece of poo poo “new” RCM software is built using a literally almost sixty year old language called MUMPS.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUMPS#:~:text=MUMPS%20is%20a%20language%20intended,be%20fully%20or%20partially%20compiled.

Needless to say, I’d rather catch mumps than learn this ancient trash. I don’t care if learning it would let me print money, poo poo is boring as hell and literally a shambling corpse of dumbshit limitations people had figured out how to do better in 1970.

poo poo is gonna make me have a stroke

Reoxygenation posted:

Concur is poo poo that's my take on that

I have to babysit Concur and concur that it is poo poo.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 2, 2023

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tehinternet posted:

I found out that our piece of poo poo “new” RCM software is built using a literally almost sixty year old language called MUMPS.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUMPS#:~:text=MUMPS%20is%20a%20language%20intended,be%20fully%20or%20partially%20compiled.

Needless to say, I’d rather catch mumps than learn this ancient trash. I don’t care if learning it would let me print money, poo poo is boring as hell and literally a shambling corpse of dumbshit limitations people had figured out how to do better in 1970.

poo poo is gonna make me have a stroke

I have to babysit Concur and concur that it is poo poo.

This is an insane language omg

quote:

Some aspects of MUMPS syntax differ strongly from that of more modern languages, which can cause confusion, although those aspects vary between different versions of the language. On some versions, whitespace is not allowed within expressions, as it ends a statement: 2 + 3 is an error, and must be written 2+3. All operators have the same precedence and are left-associative (2+3*10 evaluates to 50). The operators for "less than or equal to" and "greater than or equal to" are '> and '< (that is, the boolean negation operator ' plus a strict comparison operator in the opposite direction), although some versions allow the use of the more standard <= and >= respectively. Periods (.) are used to indent the lines in a DO block, not whitespace. The ELSE command does not need a corresponding IF, as it operates by inspecting the value in the built-in system variable $test.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Iron Rose posted:

This is an insane language omg violence.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Port it to a modern programming language like BASIC

Release date: May 1, 1964

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

kuarduck posted:

Disagree with what point? At no time did I say it wasn't coding. Only that coding isn't programming.
:colbert:

Coding is programming. I do not care if you are doing it in Python or Go or PowerShell or whatever, it is coding.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you want to make a distinction between programming and something else, make it between programming and software development.

(Writing PowerShell modules for an API can be decent fun.)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Port it to a modern programming language like BASIC

Release date: May 1, 1964

Look, some of us learned on BASIC, okay? No need to be mean.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sure am glad we've finally moved out of the era where everyone came up with their own programming language and we've all settled on a couple well designed options that everyone enjoys working with.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I enjoy recreational language bashing but man, spare me people who want to have language fights on the clock. "Oh, I hate PowerShell, my brain breaks every time I see an assignment with pipes on the right hand side." Suck it up and learn to love PowerCLI or explain to me how having everyone learn how to do the same thing with REST APIs in some other language will improve team productivity.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I guess I'm just pessimistic or checked out already, but I basically just go in to collect a paycheck and go home at 4:30PM. I tried doing the continuous skill improvement bit in my 20s but it just gave me extreme anxiety and burned me out. There's something kind of inherently unhealthy about our work culture where you're pressured to feel like you're never good enough. I'm 34 right now and in a decently comfortable financial position. I'm tired of banging my head against the wall trying to fix internal issues or play office politics. I'm happy just being the computer janitor dude and never having to be on call.

Also, "everybody should code" propagated by pro-business media to dilute the job market and depress wages.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vargatron posted:

I guess I'm just pessimistic or checked out already, but I basically just go in to collect a paycheck and go home at 4:30PM. I tried doing the continuous skill improvement bit in my 20s but it just gave me extreme anxiety and burned me out. There's something kind of inherently unhealthy about our work culture where you're pressured to feel like you're never good enough. I'm 34 right now and in a decently comfortable financial position. I'm tired of banging my head against the wall trying to fix internal issues or play office politics. I'm happy just being the computer janitor dude and never having to be on call.

Also, "everybody should code" propagated by pro-business media to dilute the job market and depress wages.

There is nothing wrong with that, but don't let your skills atrophy.

I had a co-worker years ago just refuse to move past anything Windows 2003. Didn't want to learn powershell, didn't want to use MDT to image all the computers we were responsible for (he steadfastly stuck by norton ghost and big fat gold images), didn't want to learn O365/Azure cloud. He got laid off and couldn't find another IT job, surprisingly no one was looking for someone with Exchange 2003 and Norton Ghost skills. Protect yourself and make sure you keep your skillset marketable.

I personally don't do poo poo computer related outside of work hours anymore. No homelab, not much of anything, but we do get time at work for skill improvement/training, and I do take advantage of things like our cloud guru subscription.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I'm keeping sharp. I'm just not asking myself if I'm good enough anymore. That leads to a lot of negativity.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My issue is the only place left for me to be promoted into is management and fuuuuck that.

I just want to babysit computers and be given clear goals to complete.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I enjoy recreational language bashing but man, spare me people who want to have language fights on the clock. "Oh, I hate PowerShell, my brain breaks every time I see an assignment with pipes on the right hand side." Suck it up and learn to love PowerCLI or explain to me how having everyone learn how to do the same thing with REST APIs in some other language will improve team productivity.
Pretty much with you on this, I used to have a lot of opinions about it but these days I really don't care as long as whatever's being done works well and is maintainable. That last part is really the hard one, I myself have had to unlearn the habit of "oh I can just whip up a quick script to do that in whatever environment is convenient at the moment" and take the time to first see if someone else has already done the work and then if not to consider what the best way to do it long term will be.

Of course there are some things that'll still get me asking "why?" like using Powershell on non-Windows platforms, Perl on Windows, anything garbage collected for systems programming, etc. but even those things while weird can make sense in certain cases.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

"Comfort" kept me working stupid hours at less than a third my current compensation. Self-improvement gave me the skills and confidence to get a better job, with less stress.

Touching code helped me get there. Maybe it could help you. Maybe not.

Maybe management will let you push the same boulder until you die. Or maybe they'll replace you with a bash script. Who knows?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They'll replace you with nothing and the boulder will careen down the hill and wipe out the local town and absolutely no consequences will happen.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

Why didn't you warn us about the boulder?

But I did.

Oh, right. That was too expensive to fix. Now go fix the damage that cost us 1000x what you needed to prevent this in the first place.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I could post a wall of text about how much I hate MacOS devices, but I'll spare the thread. It just shouldn't be this hard to reinstall the OS on a device...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Iron Rose posted:

This is an insane language omg

A lot of healthcare systems are still reliant on programs written in MUMPS, iirc.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

Disagree. This is coding.

This. It's one thing to know how to run a cmdlet in Powershell to accomplish a task. The second you need to figure out how to have it repeat itself somehow, you need to learn how a scripting language - a programming language - works.

How good you get at it depends on how well you ease into it. The curriculums and e-learning out there are all geared towards understanding coding concepts. There's very little to hold the hands of the helpdesk/desktop person and bridge the gap where something like an intro to programming course would cover.

It would be way, way more conducive to learning (and I'll shamelessly fly the neurodivergent flag here, gotta loving love ADHD) if "learn to code" started out with "Welcome to Powershell 101 - before you even do anything here, go read Joe Bob's Coding for Dummies cover to cover/pass this prereq exam with 70% or better and come back, because we are going to use terms and concepts that may not be familiar to you, and you should start out with an understanding of them."

I do not know or care about the difference between an array or a hashtable; how do I get "Reticulate-Spline" to run against this list of 500 splines, and will it take me longer to do this than just going and reticulating the splines myself or copying/pasting arguments?

I can't stand xkcd but one thing Randall Munroe got right was how long one CAN spend automating something but how long SHOULD one spend automating something, and that includes scripting/coding/programming.

jaegerx posted:

is yaml coding?

Honestly, I'd say yes. If I can't click through something and have it generate what I need, and if I have to start specifying arguments/conditions or anything that abstracts clicking through a GUI, it's coding. Maybe it's that ADHD ugly head rearing but in so many scenarios, it's way faster/easier for me to alt-tab and click through GUIs than it is to write a Powershell script to do something. If it's a recurring task a la the xkcd chart, fine, it merits spending more time to get it right, but it is simply not easy for me with ADHD to learn code because of how I am with language and logic. A GUI, I can futz with and reason with.

Why nobody has come up with a way to Terraformize or ARM-ate existing Azure resources is beyond me. I'd save my own money up and buy a solution where I can just create a sample of what I need, dump it into an application, and say "I need this resource to have this naming convention, I need these IP ranges, etc." and have it spit out the requisite files with comments/instructions on how to use them at scale or put them into a pipeline. Exporting ARM templates is the least intuitive thing I've ever seen and I don't know how I ever got any ARM templates to work with variables ever - Terraform is less awful, but runs into its own bag of donuts in terms of things being broken, unclear, or unhelpful.

I've literally resorted to having an arrangement with a guy who does TF to answer my questions that I can't figure out and /r/terraform gives unclear answers to. "Just pass it as a variable" does not answer how I need to get a child module to be able to call a resource in a parent module. "Charge me $60/hr with a max spend of $60 to answer this question and provide a concrete example" is a blessing.

Anything beyond "do this once, computer" which you have to write yourself is coding. I do it because I have to but damned if I'm going to break the Munroe chart - it is not easy on my personal sanity and work-life balance to Do More Code if I don't have to beyond the need to remain relevant. Code if you want, but if someone is cheerleading coding as a positive skill in any way shape or form without understanding that not everyone can learn to code in any appreciable capacity reeks of insensitivity at best, ableism at worst.

Apologies for the e/n, I do like Terraform, it does good things, I use it a lot, but if I'm ever in power I will be firm in my leadership stance of "if it's easier to do ClickOps and it can be done in a repeatable, workable way, I have no problem with it as long as it's documented for anyone to be able to perform the task; if it's easier to code and do DevOps, and it can be done in a repeatable, workable way, I have no problem with it as long as it's documented for anyone to be able to perform the task"

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I'd like the threads input on O(M?)365 and admin rights.

We're a decently small company, which operates within M365, for our intranet and all that. In terms of admin rights, me and the COO have them. Unfortunately, those rights also affect sharepoint sites that I have access to as an admin, so I have access to a bunch of stuff I've limited with security groups for *regular* users, but not me.

Am I missing something, or could I limit my own rights on that front, and I haven't found the info I need from the microsoft docs. Also, would having a separate admin account be a boon or more of a pain in the rear end, especially since we are low volume? Ultimately this kinda relies on trust that I don't go and check stuff like HR contracts and such (which I don't, and audits can be made at any time to see what I accessed anyway), and it kinda bugs me, even though it is pretty great to not have to switch accounts to manage stuff.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We have separate admin users for anything involving user/server/network admin poo poo. You should too.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Do you just swap between accounts as needed, and are those accounts also secured with things like 2FA?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've contributed to the azurerm provider, ama

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

Do you just swap between accounts as needed, and are those accounts also secured with things like 2FA?

yes and yes

The Fool posted:

username post combo

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Fool posted:

Wots dat and wot can I do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Makes sense, thanks for the input. Never really had to manage anything like this before in my life, so having people that (I assume) know more than me basically confirm what I was thinking kinda helps.