Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

We Got Us A Bread posted:

She also may or may not be dating Travis Kelce of the Kansas City Chiefs, and when they play a home game, a good 40% of the broadcast is cutaways to Taylor in the stands. Which has introduced her to professional football fans (of which there are A LOT) who may not have heard much about her before, other than the name. And, hilariously, introduced Swifties to the game of football, which gives us such amazing questions as "why are the Chiefs wearing their white costumes today?" While the Swifties are speedrunning the rules, they haven't gotten to the home/away jerseys part of things yet.

She also strategically picked to go public with her dating Travis Kelce by attending the Chiefs vs Jets game to absolutely obliterate the "taylor swift jet" Google search results about how horrible her CO2 emissions are (something like 8500 tons putting her at the top of the list of emissions for private individuals) from private jet usage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

I used to think my generation wouldn’t be as out of touch or clueless as other generations got when they got old and every time I read some poo poo like “Harambe was a portent of our isolation” on here I’m reminded of how wrong I was.
People buying and then wearing “Dicks out for Harambe” shirts in public isn’t an example of a dumb bandwagon?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

RevKrule posted:

No. Her dad was a high level stock broker at Merrill Lynch. My wife met him a bunch around the time Taylor was just getting started. She would've been fine if this didn't work out for her but also I think her dad and his network helped shape her into a much better business person than a lot of other people in similar situations.

Ah I see, that explains a lot. Not sure who I was thinking of whose dad was cia. After a while they all blend into one

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Casimir Radon posted:

People buying and then wearing “Dicks out for Harambe” shirts in public isn’t an example of a dumb bandwagon?

It's a meme.

The joke is that showing your genitals in solidarity with a deceased gorilla would be absurd.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Never show this guy the hentai print jacket trend.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bringing this back to movies the Taylor swift death scene in Amsterdam is still one of the funniest things in that show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1bJ3_sYtnA

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Vote for Pedro shirt is a sign of just how deranged and lonely our generation is…

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The three wolve shirt, portents, the end of civilization itself

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
My Harambe story is that soon after I moved to Japan I met up with some of the other foreigners in the area and we went to an onsen. In the changing room one of the guys said, "Welp, dicks out for Harambe" and pulled down his boxers and that's what I think about any time I read the name Harambe.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Bringing this back to movies the Taylor swift death scene in Amsterdam is still one of the funniest things in that show

Why does the shot of that man pointing look like it was meant for 3D?

Rochallor posted:

My Harambe story is that soon after I moved to Japan I met up with some of the other foreigners in the area and we went to an onsen. In the changing room one of the guys said, "Welp, dicks out for Harambe" and pulled down his boxers and that's what I think about any time I read the name Harambe.

That's just haram, bae.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Circa 2016 I was at a party and there was no power (they were moving out) so someone lit a bunch of candles. Then another person put a photo of harambe behind the candles. the shrine stayed that way all night.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Taylor Swift is just some guy.

I heard she was a quick hand with a Singer.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

She wasn’t in Amsterdam for long but I actually thought her acting was pretty good in it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
not sure if that scene or her number in Cats is funnier

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

forgot to post

https://x.com/seinfelddahog/status/1717871255641063441?s=20

nobody greenlighted

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I love this list because you can see Landis' limits illustrated so incredibly hard. Everything that's detailed or fleshed out is loving terrible, while the vaguest plots actually sound good provided someone other than Max Landis is writing them. Wandering a destroyed sci fi planet trying to figure out who won the massive battle that destroyed it sounds great if Ursula Le Gun or M John Harrison are writing it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Give that laptop thief an oscar for preventing crimes against film.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I regret to inform you that he did get his laptop back, presumably with all that garbage still intact.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Variety released an article about the various crises at MCU HQ, including Jonathan Majors, the unsustainable TV/movie schedules, VFX burnout, and the upcoming underperformance of The Marvels.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Good for Nia DaCosta going straight from her Marvel paycheck gig to a project she actually has real autonomy over.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If it's upcoming how can it underperform? Just revise your expectations appropriately!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Maxwell Lord posted:

If it's upcoming how can it underperform? Just revise your expectations appropriately!

Too late, we decided years ago it, along with every other movie in the franchise, needs to make half a billion dollars or it’s a flop.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
it's fascinating how a bunch of people who actually won the culture war for over a decade at no point understood their own success. Or at least, failed to understand how contextual it was.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marvel movies/shows have been meandering without a clear direction for years since Endgame.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Marvel movies/shows have been meandering without a clear direction for years since Endgame.

which, in a sense, makes them the truest comic adaptations they can be.

Has anyone here read DMZ? Is it just me or was it really, really clear that they had no plan after the election/bomb plot?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Variety released an article about the various crises at MCU HQ, including Jonathan Majors, the unsustainable TV/movie schedules, VFX burnout, and the upcoming underperformance of The Marvels.

90% sure one of my shots from Quantumania was one of the ones the executives (and even their kids) were talking about in disbelief after the screening. Was not a good experience to work on that movie.

Variety describing unpolished vfx as "out of focus" is really weird though and betrays a misunderstanding of how visual fx pipelines work. Getting the digital assets in focus is the easy part. You have to try to gently caress with the cg camera or the z-depth passes in comp to make something digital be out of focus. It's more that vfx is the giant combination of tons of cinematographic knowledge combined with 9-10 different departments all passing different elements around to each other that are eventually mashed together into a coherent whole and if any one of those departments isn't up to snuff then the shot suffers. There were a lot of shots on Quantumania where multiple departments weren't allowed the normal amount of iteration time, and there wasn't even time for proper briefs on shots.

2022 was the busiest time in vfx is recent memory so tons of shots in many films and high end episodic shows ended up with the contrast pushed way up to try to hide mistakes. Meanwhile the vfx shops that were churning through that footage were losing between tens and hundreds of millions of dollars because they couldn't get approvals because of how overstretched their pipelines and supervisory staff were.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snowman_McK posted:

which, in a sense, makes them the truest comic adaptations they can be.

Has anyone here read DMZ? Is it just me or was it really, really clear that they had no plan after the election/bomb plot?
I read some of DMZ but I never finished it

Apparently there was some terrible TV miniseries adaptation of the comic on like Hulu or something that they dumped all at once?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

HBO Max. Had no idea it was a mini-series instead of a season. I watched one episode, not familiar with he source material, and didn't bother with a second one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Simplex posted:

I have this theory that in the post pandemic world people have a pretty powerful sense of isolation which is leading them to go really over the top in jumping onto bandwagons of anything that's seemingly popular.

So Taylor Swift is caught up in the same rush that's propping up something like CU Football.

I'm not sure if it was on purpose but One Piece Film Red was really bizarrely timely with the whole theme being about basically a Vtuber pop star (via psychic snail camera network) that the world had gone absolutely nuts over during a very rough couple of years.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mierenneuker posted:

HBO Max. Had no idea it was a mini-series instead of a season. I watched one episode, not familiar with he source material, and didn't bother with a second one.

poo poo I remembered tracking that one and then immediately forgot it existed right it premiered. Seemed like it was one of those adaptations that just kind took the bare bones of a second Civil War turning Manhattan into a DMZ for some reason and did their own thing.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This is long-ish but does a great job at narrating what a disaster is going on over there. There's a lot of great bits to quote, but I think this is my favorite ("tsunami of spandex" is a close second):

article posted:

Case in point: the “Blade” reboot. With Mahershala Ali signed on for the eponymous role of a vampire, things looked promising for a 2023 release date. But the project has gone through at least five writers, two directors and one shutdown six weeks before production. One person familiar with the script permutations says the story at one point morphed into a narrative led by women and filled with life lessons. Blade was relegated to the fourth lead, a bizarre idea considering that the studio had two-time Oscar winner Ali on board.
how do you gently caress up a Blade movie this badly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My total guess, but supported by how other streaming services have worked, is that they cheaped out on writers and nobody was paying attention to what those people were doing until it was almost too late.

On Paramount Plus, for some of their new Trek shows, the writers on some episodes have like 1-2 minor writing credits and then are writing for a major IP. Predictably that tends to not go well.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Zero_Grade posted:

This is long-ish but does a great job at narrating what a disaster is going on over there. There's a lot of great bits to quote, but I think this is my favorite ("tsunami of spandex" is a close second):

I started to make a post about shitloads of money and complacency, but fundamentally? I don’t think they give a poo poo about Blade as a property. This screams corporate synergy run metastatic - Disney no longer seems capable of making something that doesn’t hook into every other piece of the Marvel machinery, and as tedious as those things have gotten to watch, I can’t imagine what’s involved in making quilted, braided exposition tapestries out of their comic book IPs. Plus the Blade movies were an R-rated gore fest; something about their approach suggests they weren’t comfortable dealing with that fundamental aspect of the franchise, so they were literally working to minimize him in his own movie.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 2, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

just play Confusion Pump Panel Remix by New Order for 2 hours straight. What more writing do you need

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ccs posted:

90% sure one of my shots from Quantumania was one of the ones the executives (and even their kids) were talking about in disbelief after the screening. Was not a good experience to work on that movie.

I was at a showing with some of the ILM team and afterwards they were saying there were a bunch of shots where the comps were so rushed they didn't even have the approved renders in them.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Zero_Grade posted:

reminds me of stories that have come out about the spider-man musical and how much of a hot mess it was behind the scenes. Apparently the lead writer felt that the story should be focused on their original-character-do-not-steal, and that Spider-Man should just sort of have more of a supporting role in the musical called “Spider-Man: Subtitle” and which had been pitched to the public as “the Spider-Man musical”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I still don't know who the gently caress this Cole guy is in the last Mortal Kombat movie

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Hasturtium posted:

I started to make a post about shitloads of money and complacency, but fundamentally? I don’t think they give a poo poo about Blade as a property. This screams corporate synergy run metastatic - Disney no longer seems capable of making something that doesn’t hook into every other piece of the Marvel machinery, and as tedious as those things have gotten to watch, I can’t imagine what’s involved in making quilted, braided exposition tapestries out of their comic book IPs. Plus the Blade movies were an R-rated gore fest; something about their approach suggests they weren’t comfortable dealing with that fundamental aspect of the franchise, so they were literally working to minimize him in his own movie.

Didn’t one of the recent movies tease Blade in a post-credits scene? It sounded like they were going to make a PG-13 Blade to tie into the MCU. The issue is also Disney being pushed to take fewer and fewer risks due to massive budgets and, excepting No Way Home, diminishing returns post-Endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn’t one of the recent movies tease Blade in a post-credits scene? It sounded like they were going to make a PG-13 Blade to tie into the MCU. The issue is also Disney being pushed to take fewer and fewer risks due to massive budgets and, excepting No Way Home, diminishing returns post-Endgame.

A post credits scene in Eternals, a movie I had to really concentrate on to remember.