Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I always feel bad for the Riddler because it seems like, out of all of Batman's rogue gallery, Riddler would have the easiest time actually going legit.

All the dude would have to do is open a chain of escape rooms. Varying degrees of difficulty, anyone who solves the hardest one can get a little plaque that says "I'm as smart as the Batman"

He gets to constantly design new puzzles and show off how clever he is and doesn't have to worry about catching a batarang to the teeth for his troubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Riddler's problem is that he's genuinely mentally ill in a way that renders him non-functional, but he's too narcissistic to see it. I like his portrayal in the third Rocksteady batman game where he's all frail and greasy as he's clearly not taking care of himself, obsessing over building his weird games to the extent that he's not bathing or even eating properly anymore.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

the_steve posted:

I always feel bad for the Riddler because it seems like, out of all of Batman's rogue gallery, Riddler would have the easiest time actually going legit.

All the dude would have to do is open a chain of escape rooms. Varying degrees of difficulty, anyone who solves the hardest one can get a little plaque that says "I'm as smart as the Batman"

He gets to constantly design new puzzles and show off how clever he is and doesn't have to worry about catching a batarang to the teeth for his troubles.

And then Batman breaks all his bones for refusing to let people out if they can't solve the puzzles.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Lone Badger posted:

And then Batman breaks all his bones for refusing to let people out if they can't solve the puzzles.

That's how most writers would have it end, sadly yes. Although there was a while when Nygma went straight and was a consulting detective to the GCPD, but I don't remember how that ended.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kwyndig posted:

That's how most writers would have it end, sadly yes. Although there was a while when Nygma went straight and was a consulting detective to the GCPD, but I don't remember how that ended.

I liked in Early Gotham before Nigma goes off the rails, and he has a crush on Kristen Kringle from the evidence locker, so tries to impress her with a small joke - a bullet lodged in a cupcake. At first she's annoyed because it came off as threatening, but he explains what he was going for well enough that she comes around on it, once she knows that the threat was unintentional (the idea was "The cupcake is sweet, the bullet is deadly. A beautiful woman's a dangerous thing", which is dumb, but the sort of thing he'd do.) I also liked the development of him and Oswald almost being a couple, with the spanner in the works being that while Oswald genuinely loved Edward, Edward (or at least his second Riddler personality as they have DID in that version) was just using him.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Nov 2, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The ultimate riddle: What's Nigma?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
With a return to status quo, usually.

BioEnchanted posted:

Riddler's problem is that he's genuinely mentally ill in a way that renders him non-functional, but he's too narcissistic to see it. I like his portrayal in the third Rocksteady batman game where he's all frail and greasy as he's clearly not taking care of himself, obsessing over building his weird games to the extent that he's not bathing or even eating properly anymore.

The depictions vary wildly, the Arkham series definitely has one of the least sympathetic (if most hilarious) versions. But it is a common theme that he's also motivated ultimately by deep insecurity, needing to prove his intelligence and superiority over others by giving them a chance to foil him, however slight. More the fragile kind of narcissism than the grandiose type, probably. Also says something that while he's not concerned about how he sees nothing wrong with doing all kinds of ridiculously convoluted crimes, he IS genuinely shocked and concerned when he discovers he has patterns of thoughts and behaviour motivating him that he's unaware of and unable to control. His compulsions are too severe for him to be functional, at least without intense treatment and a writer that gets to let it stick.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kwyndig posted:

Me neither. I want to say they just dropped it, like, I think they had one of the Crisis series happen around that time and he just got reset back to the status quo?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

the_steve posted:

In batman the animated series he's perfectly happy being a game developer until he gets hosed over by management.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given what a horrendous year 2023 is for videogames, we should be getting hundreds of Riddlers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Given what a horrendous year 2023 is for videogames, we should be getting hundreds of Riddlers.

It'll be fine though. As Millar's Wanted comic pointed out, the heroes always win because the villains don't use Unity.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Splicer posted:

In batman the animated series he's perfectly happy being a game developer until he gets hosed over by management.

In another timeline, Edward had a rich life cranking out Sierra adventure games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

John Murdoch posted:

In another timeline, Edward had a rich life cranking out Sierra adventure games.

Dude would look at King's Quest V and think it's too easy and fair.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While the Arkham games tended to take things a bit too dark and edgy a lot of the time, they are at least sometimes good at it. The Riddler is fun for how his stuff has a bit of a theme of messing with the game mechanics and some almost fourth wall breaking moments. Especially when he has a fair few tricks like the shell game for a hostage in Arkham City, where you can cheat and use detective vision to clearly see the hostage- and you have to, because he's already cheating by moving the hostage independently of the containers. He's fun and really satisfying in a video game in particular because beating him is all about outsmarting him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked in Early Gotham before Nigma goes off the rails, and he has a crush on Kristen Kringle from the evidence locker,

Did she eventually turn into a christmas villain? Maybe one that breaks into evidence storage and gives the stuff away to other criminals?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did she eventually turn into a christmas villain? Maybe one that breaks into evidence storage and gives the stuff away to other criminals?

No, Nigma's evil Riddler personality killed her as he thought she was getting in the way. Then there was a wonderfully deranged bit where he met a woman who happened to look exactly like her, and after Oswald tried to ruin things by telling her about Kristen, but instead of putting her off it resulted in her dressing as the late Miss Kringle to deliberately mess with him, to prove the point that just because she happened to look like Kristen it didn't mean that it was a foregone conclusion that Nigma would kill her too. She WAS right... but it was because after that backfired and Nigma broke his heart, Oswald cut her breaks. That's as far as I remember it, I may be misremembering the events.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I need to get back to Gotham, I remember enjoying large chunks of it but I dropped off it for reasons I can't really recall now. It sounds like it got even more gloriously insane and one of the last bits I remember was (season...2 spoilers I think?) the villain of the season getting blown up mid rant by Oswald waddling into the scene with a bazooka and shooting him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

I need to get back to Gotham, I remember enjoying large chunks of it but I dropped off it for reasons I can't really recall now. It sounds like it got even more gloriously insane and one of the last bits I remember was (season...2 spoilers I think?) the villain of the season getting blown up mid rant by Oswald waddling into the scene with a bazooka and shooting him.

It does the dumb New 52 Joker but does it well because the reason the face is stapled on in later seasons is because when Jerome died a cult that rose up worshipping his madness cut his face off and started using it as a mask, so he has to go get it back once he's brought back to life. His first major scene post that moment is amazingly funny too, as Lee Thompkins brings him up to speed on what he's missed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMr0DqqS9Fc

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s worth it for the scene where Jim Gordon literally punches his face off.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I sometimes think I should watch Gotham, but then I realize that if I did, id lose the mystery of whether posts like that are just loving with me or not.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kwyndig posted:

It's cliche as hell to point to the same handful of scenes from the DCAU and just say "they did this poo poo real good" but I'll always like that one episode of Justice League where they show The Flash talking to his villains outside of their hero/villain fights and treating them like actual people who need help that he can't give but can, at least, try to get them to seek it.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Hello my name is Joe Kerr but I am NOT actually a Joker.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

If I were writing the Riddler I'd make it very clear his 'real name' is also made up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Getting back to the thread title, I remember reading somewhere that part of the reason Courtney love got blasted and blacklisted so badly wasn't just because of her personality, but because she tried to warn people about Harvey Weinstein early on.

Pretty much any movie he's an executive producer or producer on kind of sheds a whole lot of dark light when you look at the female leads and who else was up for the role?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh yeah. pretty much any actress who has/had a reputation for being trouble to work with from the 90s/00s I now assume they tried to kick off about stuff like that and then got blacklisted as a result with the rep being a bullshit veneer (and today still obviously but I just pay less attention to movie news these days)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's genuinely hard to discern who was blacklisted for being a whistleblower and who was blacklisted because they were a shithead. The two have a tendency to play in tandem and feed into one another. A lot of people who are blacklisted for having ethics become shitheads when they're treated badly, and a lot of shitheads will blow whistles when they realize it's one of their plays after being blacklisted.

And yeah the poo poo they're blowing whistles about happens at all levels to this day. Uncovering 20 year-old scandals is its own entertainment commodity business, every bit as reliable as part of the cycle as seeing properties from when you were a kid get remade as an adult.

I would not be the least bit surprised if more than one current actress or child star has been told after an incident "I know it's bad now but just wait, in 20 years when your career has cooled off and this bigwig is no longer hot, you can blow the whistle and get a second career; your account already has papers drawn up for what windfalls we can expect."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

watched Critters last night and it was a solid by the book comedy horror. basically leprechaun but with gremlins and a painful lack of Jennifer Anniston

also turns out the kid from Critters grew up to play Malarkey in Band of Brothers

edit: also Billy Zane is in it and I think his hair is fake

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
What the gently caress dude

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you don't know, now you know

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

I unironically love the 90s to early 2000s lower-class, trashy nostalgia vibe. Reminds of this Ethel Cain video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu-t3tqDyAY

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

mind the walrus posted:

It's genuinely hard to discern who was blacklisted for being a whistleblower and who was blacklisted because they were a shithead. The two have a tendency to play in tandem and feed into one another. A lot of people who are blacklisted for having ethics become shitheads when they're treated badly, and a lot of shitheads will blow whistles when they realize it's one of their plays after being blacklisted.

And yeah the poo poo they're blowing whistles about happens at all levels to this day. Uncovering 20 year-old scandals is its own entertainment commodity business, every bit as reliable as part of the cycle as seeing properties from when you were a kid get remade as an adult.

I would not be the least bit surprised if more than one current actress or child star has been told after an incident "I know it's bad now but just wait, in 20 years when your career has cooled off and this bigwig is no longer hot, you can blow the whistle and get a second career; your account already has papers drawn up for what windfalls we can expect."

:staredog:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I was more highlighting the insanity of your last point there. I can see a truly lovely agent trying to manipulate their sexually-assaulted client into shutting up by any means necessary, but I absolutely do not believe that those victims are going 'hahahaha' all the way to the bank with a plan to cash out their trauma bucks in twenty years. That's some reddit poo poo there.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

hawowanlawow posted:

watched Critters last night and it was a solid by the book comedy horror. basically leprechaun but with gremlins and a painful lack of Jennifer Anniston

also turns out the kid from Critters grew up to play Malarkey in Band of Brothers

Malarkey is also the voice of Steve in American Dad, and he sings with the voice of an angel

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

mind the walrus posted:

If you don't know, now you know

You only thing I know now is you draw some pretty batshit conjectures

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have only seen Gotham Season 1 but I remember that it was originally going to be 13 or so episodes but go extended to a full season so the writers had to basically make up a lot of bullshit to fill those episodes, including dead characters coming back to keep storylines going. That first season was truly bonkers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It definitely helped that they had a pretty fun actor playing Bruce. He was just the right kind of intense and crazy for the role. On the other side you had Ivy, who was cast as a child, then they realised that that would be creepy to make her traditional Poison Ivy and that they'd written themselves into a corner, so she falls into a river full of chemicals and gets aged up to a sexier actress, but THEN that actress couldn't actually act all that well so they recast her AGAIN and explained it as "Oh, Ivy spun a cocoon and became the other adult actress."

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Nov 2, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So a belated Halloween-appropriate thought popped into my head this morning: What is the thread's thoughts on Stephen King adaptations?

As a 90s kid, I'm talking the TV stuff, but if you wanna sound off about Pet Sematary 2 hey go nuts.

Like, I don't remember much of the Shining TV miniseries, but that one's kinda infamous.

I inexplicably got sucked into the hype surrounding Rose Red, bought it on DVD years later and watched it again and realized it's awful. I still dig the core premise, but it's buried under King-isms, which I'm assuming happens a lot in lesser stories of his.

Langoliers is, of course, an unparalleled masterpiece and I have nothing negative to say about it. :colbert:

But the one that actually prompted me to post (and is a King adaptation in a different sense): Was Kingdom Hospital good? At all? I remember too little of it myself.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am waiting for a Beauty and the Beast where the beast is some kind of insect/vulture mix instead of a mammal hybrid. There might still be people thinking it looks cool but not many will line up to gently caress a cockroach with a Skesis face.

There was the Czech version Panna a Netvor where the Beast is a birdhead, not quite what you're looking for but less appealing than orc George C. Scott or Jean Marais in Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast.

https://www.starburstmagazine.com/reviews/beauty-and-the-beast-1978/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

hawowanlawow posted:

You're going to plotz when you see who shows up in Critters 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

So a belated Halloween-appropriate thought popped into my head this morning: What is the thread's thoughts on Stephen King adaptations?

From the ones I've seen:

The Shining: Great movie, meh adaptation
Langoliers: Solid, only real bad part is the CGI for the Langoliers which started out bad.
The Stand (1990's): I don't remember this much that much, but I remember thinking it was decent.
Tommyknockers: They probably did the best they could to adapt that book, but it was a weird book to start with.
It miniseries: A solid adaptation, everyone was well-cast.
It Chapter 1: An excellent update to make It more modern while still remaining faithful to the novel. A solid stand-alone film. SHAME THERE WAS NEVER A SEQUEL.
It Chapter 2: The 1980's miniseries had better special effects than this movie. Just let that sink in. It was just... bad.
Green Mile and Shankshaw Redemption: Both really good movies that usually aren't thought of as Stephen King works when they're brought up.

I know there are plenty of others I've forgotten.