Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Laoganma means "old grandma" and the photo is of a woman

I always thought it was a joke referencing both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's a great joke. You're left just as confused as Mr. Tranh, wondering what the hell hot sauce Peggy is talking about.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Punkinhead posted:

Hank and the gang build a small golf course in their own backyards and have more fun doing that than any other form of golfing, at least on screen, which makes them cool

Hank was delighted by playing with the murderer's clubs Dale got him as a prank. Until their provenance was revealed, I mean.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Wow who is selling those.

Watched an EP earlier where Hank was into golfing and played guitar. Weirdest Hank yet.

Purple Turtleneck Hank is the realest Hank.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yep.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Omaja beer is real and it tastes great.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
dale only takes mirror selfies because The Machine can't tell it's you as long as it's your reflection

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Golf has the rich people reputation but in a lot of places it's pretty popular among blue collar and middle class people. Not every club is a fancy place, and it lets people get outdoors and move around at a relaxed pace. I can very much see Hank in particular enjoying it, it's about precision, good form, understanding the lay of the land and the current conditions, and getting everyone around to shut up for a minute.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

GolfHole posted:

That joke pre-dated sri racha becoming really popular in the west. For sure 95%+ of the viewing population didn't get it.

Even if you don't get it the awkward delivery of "uh, there's a rooster on the bottle" is funny as hell

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Golf has the rich people reputation but in a lot of places it's pretty popular among blue collar and middle class people. Not every club is a fancy place, and it lets people get outdoors and move around at a relaxed pace. I can very much see Hank in particular enjoying it, it's about precision, good form, understanding the lay of the land and the current conditions, and getting everyone around to shut up for a minute.

I've known normal class golf likers, it just caught me off guard for Hank since he's always been about football and combined with guitar stuff just caught me off guard. I recently finished last season since I guess that's where i last left off, and then rolled back to season one so everyone's a little different.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Khanstant posted:

I've known normal class golf likers, it just caught me off guard for Hank since he's always been about football and combined with guitar stuff just caught me off guard. I recently finished last season since I guess that's where i last left off, and then rolled back to season one so everyone's a little different.

There's no reason you can't like both. I imagine he enjoys watching football, but he's far too old and too busy to play it, while golf is far more accessible to a suburban father with a full time job, even if he probably wouldn't go out of his way to watch golf on TV. Seems pretty likely for a lot of middle class people, golf basically occupies a similar niche as bowling for a low-intensity recreational sport.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Omaja beer is real and it tastes great.

Si, si, la vomitando, la diarrhea

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Wonder if Hank likes to shoot pool

Also what his thoughts are on frisbee golf because I'm imagining an episode where Bobby starts playing that after deciding he dislikes regular golf.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Wonder if Hank likes to shoot pool

Also what his thoughts are on frisbee golf because I'm imagining an episode where Bobby starts playing that after deciding he dislikes regular golf.

Bobby keeps talking about his enjoyment of the game and somehow leaves out the frisbee part so Hank thinks he’s talking about normal golf for a while until he suddenly realizes that - bwahhhh?? it’s the hippie version!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

you want to make sure you create the best possible conditions for a good drag coefficient, bobby, so widen your stance

"okay"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Golf is the quintessential sport your dad plays. Low barrier to entry, high skill ceiling, highly social. I kinda feel like Hank should have played along in the Nine Rivers episode because he was getting an unbelievable deal on his membership. Maybe he would have if Ted was straight with him from the start.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...9a40f1698c90a1&

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Hank: Its your fault I was born in new York and I can't drive my truck and I tried a bagel and I actually liked it!

Cotton: His truck...

Hank: No! No more lies. I loved that bagel, go to hell!

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I caught a deer picking through my garbage like this was New York City

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Little write up about the show that I enjoyed

In anticipation of Hulu's upcoming King Of The Hill reboot, show insiders and fans reflect on the laid-back comedy's legacy

https://www.avclub.com/king-of-the-hill-legacy-hulu-reboot-1850976923

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

BiggerBoat posted:

Little write up about the show that I enjoyed

In anticipation of Hulu's upcoming King Of The Hill reboot, show insiders and fans reflect on the laid-back comedy's legacy

https://www.avclub.com/king-of-the-hill-legacy-hulu-reboot-1850976923

I read this article too, it was really well done. I guess the AV Club can still produce decent content every now and then.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That article brings up a great point in that Dale would be an instant hit on TikTok spouting his rhetoric. I can easily imagine a b plot where he films stereotypical TikToks of himself driving and ranting about the government.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
If they bring conspiracy dale into modern conspiracy world, I want him to learn about Q and be horrified by their lack of rigor, cohesion, and effort, then get increasingly frustrated as they won't listen to him as he tries to preach the gospels of Art Bell.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They could do the car rant have him get into an accident then think they got him he heard the message loud and clear "AHHHH don't kill me!" as John Redcorn approaches to check in with Dale's recovery. Dale becomes afraid of his phone listening to him and only talks about his conspiracies after he makes sure no one has any cellphones on them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

While in Boomhauer's house, Dale's voice is recognized by his Google Home causing him to freak out.

naem
May 29, 2011

Alexa speaks now in a Boomhauer accent and it’s contagious

wherever Boomhauer goes the Alexa/Siri etc becomes Boomhauer-ed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Debunk This! posted:

Hank: Its your fault I was born in new York and I can't drive my truck and I tried a bagel and I actually liked it!

Cotton: His truck...

Hank: No! No more lies. I loved that bagel, go to hell!

lmfao

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It’s so funny that an international incident was narrowly avoided due to Hank’s birth.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Detective No. 27 posted:

It’s so funny that an international incident was narrowly avoided due to Hank’s birth.

It blew me away that the whole story is based in historical fact. Castro was in NYC in 1960 for a UN conference and was blackballed by every hotel in New York except the Theresa hotel in Harlem, where he held meetings with Malcolm X, Allan Ginsberg, Nikolai Khrushchev and others. The CIA was also actively trying to get people to assassinate Castro during that US visit.

It became a flashpoint in what we would today call the culture war, so much so that JFK announced his candidacy for President at that same hotel later in the year.

I don't know if Castro actually made it to a baseball game on that trip, but he very well might have.

e: This timeline syncs up with Hank being 40-ish when KITH was airing.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Honestly with the VA for dale gone i would have preferred it if they didn’t go forward on the reboot. Unless they go for the “dale has a robot voice from smoking too much” angle

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The reboot is actually centered on Dooley and his struggles to make a living as an UberEats driver in Witchita Falls.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

In Witchita Falls this button doesn't stick

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm an independent contractor.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think we're a reboot early for Hank not to be able to mow his own lawn, but him having Dooley do it is pretty good setup.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

Purple Turtleneck Hank is the realest Hank.

Hank losing his mind because of a simple magic trick is realest Hank

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

naem posted:

Alexa speaks now in a Boomhauer accent and it’s contagious

wherever Boomhauer goes the Alexa/Siri etc becomes Boomhauer-ed

"DANG. OL'. WHUT. BERGER."
"You asked, 'what is a hamburger?' According to wikipedia..."

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yeah I think it would be a good gag if he spoke super clearly ONLY to issue voice commands.
“Dang ol,talkinbout PLAY PINK FLOYD man” and as such, is the only one of the group that likes voice recognition technology and makes it work reliably

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SettingSun posted:

That article brings up a great point in that Dale would be an instant hit on TikTok spouting his rhetoric. I can easily imagine a b plot where he films stereotypical TikToks of himself driving and ranting about the government.

You mean Rusty Shackleford.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Honestly with the VA for dale gone i would have preferred it if they didn’t go forward on the reboot. Unless they go for the “dale has a robot voice from smoking too much” angle

Or just write him out as dying from lung cancer and then have the rest of the gang dealing with what I'm sure is an utterly insane will that he left which can only be found via treasure hunt. Hundreds of thousands of dollars buried somewhere near Area 51 left for his alien son.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

He already recorded his lines though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Punkinhead posted:

Hank losing his mind because of a simple magic trick is realest Hank

Hank likes stories about piñatas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shn9JYav-Jk&t=120s